Footswitch - do you use Release or Hold more often?

LPF83

Footswitch - do you use Release or Hold more often?
« on: January 05, 2022, 06:08:22 PM »
When I first got my P10 and connected a sustain pedal to try release and hold modes out, my initial reaction was a preference for Release mode.  The impact on playing cords and working the pedal was immediately nostalgic and reminded me of all those great vintage tunes made with the P5.  At the time, I didn't even realize that the original P5 did not have Hold mode, but it occurred to me this probably had something to do with my ear's association between Release mode and that recognizable Prophet vibe.

I understand that these days, Hold mode is actually more popular (thus synths like the P6 and OB6 dont have Release mode).  I'm glad to have the option, but I find I use Release more often.

Which do you prefer?  Is the association with the classic Prophet sound and release mode all in my mind?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Qwave

Re: Footswitch - do you use Release or Hold more often?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 05:31:15 AM »
I use the Release Mode on my Prophet-10. Sometimes I program a sound with a very long release on both envelopes and use the Release Mode to hold a chord for a longer time while doing something different live on another synth with my now free hands.

If these different mode would also work only in a Sostenuto way only effecting the note that are physical pressed down while the pedal was pressed down, it would be even better. You could hold a chord in Release or Hold Mode with Sostenuto and play normal  melody or what ever in a normal style.

But this new mode only as an alternative global setting.
keep on turning these knobs

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 04:37:36 PM »
I use the Release Mode on my Prophet-10. Sometimes I program a sound with a very long release on both envelopes and use the Release Mode to hold a chord for a longer time while doing something different live on another synth with my now free hands.

If these different mode would also work only in a Sostenuto way only effecting the note that are physical pressed down while the pedal was pressed down, it would be even better. You could hold a chord in Release or Hold Mode with Sostenuto and play normal  melody or what ever in a normal style.

But this new mode only as an alternative global setting.

Never having had any piano training (I went straight from drums to synths) I had to actually sit down to the P10 and experiment to try to get an idea of what the results would sound like playing it with a sostenuto pedal mode, but I think you're right, it would be a very cool addition (and maybe not be too difficult to implement?).  I'm not sure I would use it as much as the default Release mode, because I'm a little bit biased toward that authentic P5 sound and Release mode seems to bring that in droves, but it would definitely be nice to have as an option.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Qwave

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 02:09:29 AM »
Never having had any piano training.
Me neither. I learned about harmonies and chords by using the harmonic rations and a printed table of notes to Hz. A Major chord got the frequency ratios 3:4:5 = 330:440:550 Hz which is E4, A4, C#5 -> A major
keep on turning these knobs