REV2 extension card VS original voice card ?

REV2 extension card VS original voice card ?
« on: March 14, 2022, 03:45:18 AM »
I'm considering expanding my REV2 desktop 8 voices to 16 voices.
But also, considering a spare one in case something goes wrong on tour.
So I thought, if the voice cards are the same, why not buy a used desktop instead ?
Thoughts ?

Re: REV2 extension card VS original voice card ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 10:56:13 AM »
No one ? I guess I'll open it and try to figure it out...

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 11:51:57 AM »
I might be a bit confused (it's easy to do). Are you planning on polychaining the two or something? I know that won't work.
Or buy a used desktop and take the voice card out of it and make your other desktop 16 voices with the card?

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 01:55:20 PM »
Haha, sorry,
I mean I might buy a second REV2 desktop, extract its voice card and use the card to expand my current REV2.
That way I'll have a 16 voice REV2, and a spare "case" if anything goes wrong.
But to do that, I need to make sure that the original voice card = the expansion voice card.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 02:12:38 PM »
I'm completely unqualified to answer this as an 8-voice keyboard version owner (with an expansion card on the way), but I would have to think that the 16-voice desktop version would be the main board (including the 8-voices), plus an 8-voice expansion card. So I would think you could do this with a 16-voice desktop. You wouldn't be able to take all 8 voices out of an 8-voice desktop and put it in your machine.

Hopefully someone can chime in to correct or corroborate me. And hope this helps you in any way?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:43:52 PM »
Haha, sorry,
I mean I might buy a second REV2 desktop, extract its voice card and use the card to expand my current REV2.
That way I'll have a 16 voice REV2, and a spare "case" if anything goes wrong.
But to do that, I need to make sure that the original voice card = the expansion voice card.

wouldn't work as the expansion board has female connectors with which to attach to the male ones on your REV2's main board.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 12:55:45 AM »
wouldn't work as the expansion board has female connectors with which to attach to the male ones on your REV2's main board.
Ah...too bad. That was worth a try, though !
Thank you.