When was the last time you got really excited by a music store?

Jason

• Bandmix
When was the last time you got really excited by a music store?
« on: December 21, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »
I was searching last week for dealers (admittedly for the ASM Hydrasynth Deluxe) and discovered a music store that I wasn't familiar with that is above New York city (only 75 minutes away from me). I went to pick my daughter up from Manhattan and stopped in. I'll attach the image that I saw online; I thought that there was no way the store was going to have the kind of inventory that I saw in the picture.

I was shocked: I walked in to see Leslies and Hammonds and then walked into the area you see in the picture. I thought I died and went to heaven. Vintage Oberheims, MiniMoogs, MemoryMoogs, PolyMoogs, MultiMoogs, vintage Prophets, new Prophets, a Prophet 600, etc... Yamaha CS equipment. They recently got a CS-80 that they are working on. I played a Hydrasynth and Prophet 10 before I started to run out of time. Did I want to play the Moog One? I said I better not.

https://threewavemusic.com/used-vintage-gear/

Sacred Synthesis

Re: When was the last time you got really excited by a music store?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »
Egads, I can't imagine the thrill.  I would rent an apartment for a month across the street and give all my time to those instruments.  Too bad they wouldn't allow you to spend an overnight there alone and with a couple of cables.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 08:07:33 AM »
I was there 75 minutes before I thought I better leave to get my daughter. During 65 of those minutes, I was the only customer and could have continued playing if I had had more time! I'm not sure how I missed this store before. He used to be in Manhattan and then moved out about 15 years ago.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 01:33:39 PM »
Wow, cool place.  Did you buy anything?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 08:52:51 AM »
Kind of hate to say it here, but I ordered an ASM Hydrasynth deluxe.

I stopped in again on Saturday (my Leslie 147 is giving me some trouble), and I played the Moog One and a Waldorf. The Moog screams class in every way. Probably the nicest keybed I've ever played.

I bought some tubes for the Leslie... which helped, but the horn driver is still distorting with certain lower two note chords.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:43 AM »
Jason,  I felt sort of awkward at first talking about my other gear here, but not anymore.  I think everyone is still here on this forum as we all have some DSI/Sequential connection that we respect.  I like my DSI gear greatly,  but I do also like hearing others members opinions about other gear that they use.  This is especially true for myself  since I don't really visit many other forums.   With the seemingly lesser traffic on this forum than in past years, is another reason to have open arms to the topics of other manufactures gear.

As for the ASM, Congrats.   The only reason I don't own a Hydrasynth Deluxe is that I already have the original.   Of course the deluxe had to come out only two months after I bought it  ::)    Anyway... I absolutely love it.  I cannot say enough good things about it.   Mainly, the AT is so good.  As a non-piano player, the feature found in the voice setting where you can adjust keyboard to any scale/tuning is so just neat.  I can jam to anything now as long as I know the key/scale.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:13:57 AM »
I'd mostly stopped going to music stores until I moved to Berlin. JustMusic turned out to be a great place to wander... no pressure from salespeople, unlike what I was used to in the States or the UK. The keyboard department was impressive so I was able to check out all sorts of new gear. The store was only a ten minute train ride from my flat, and if I wanted I could stop at Schneidersladen on the way home for my weirdo synth fix. The latter helped get me over a feeling of modular intimidation... I could stop in, mess with a Doepfer modular, make a sound or two that amused me, then head home. Neither any pressure to buy something nor pressure to Become A Modular Man.

I've moved back to California and my "local" music store is small, owned by a guy who remembers me from my teenage days. It's lovely to pop in and say hi, but there aren't any synths, so if I buy anything it's guitar strings or a cheap tambourine.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »
That Hydrasynth Deluxe definitely looks appealing.  I love the expansive keyboard, which would enable it to be a good accompaniment instrument.  And there's plenty of room for broad lefthand arpeggios and righthand melodies.  I'm still listening to the videos to see if it really is that good, but the keyboard size is a winner.