LFO on OB-6 not subtle enough - is this a general issue?

LFO on OB-6 not subtle enough - is this a general issue?
« on: December 11, 2021, 07:22:33 AM »
I purchased my OB-6 in 2018 and I've always felt that it's near impossible to achieve subtle modulations with the LFO. I like a very subtle slow vibrato for example, but when I start turning up the LFO amount it goes from zero to very noticeable much too quickly. Using the mod wheel I can adjust it a little more subtly but I'd like a solution that I can save with the preset.

So I am wondering: Do other users of this synth have the same criticism? Could this be an issue that was present in very early units and has been corrected since? Is this something that Sequential could correct in a future OS update (I am running 1.6.6)?

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts about this.

LPF83

Re: LFO on OB-6 not subtle enough - is this a general issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
I purchased my OB-6 in 2018 and I've always felt that it's near impossible to achieve subtle modulations with the LFO. I like a very subtle slow vibrato for example, but when I start turning up the LFO amount it goes from zero to very noticeable much too quickly. Using the mod wheel I can adjust it a little more subtly but I'd like a solution that I can save with the preset.

So I am wondering: Do other users of this synth have the same criticism? Could this be an issue that was present in very early units and has been corrected since? Is this something that Sequential could correct in a future OS update (I am running 1.6.6)?

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts about this.

The resulting rate/amounts at a given knob setting are similar between my OB-6 and P6 so I have to assume there is an intentional baseline there... they are definitely very sensitive, so that finding the sweet spot for a very low amount/rate definitely begs for a bit of precision, but I find this to be the case on most hardware synths (results are best achieved using very slight knob tweaks).  I'm able to get subtle/slow vibrato on both synths without issue, but I do tend to prefer using the mod wheel for LFO amount rather than initial amount.

If going for such a subtle amount that it sounds more like a detune "blur" than noticable movement, could you achieve that with the vintage knob function?  It can also be used to take the edge off other modulations a bit, so you can get some nice results using vintage the LFO.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 12:11:15 PM »
There have been similar discussions here about this but they mostly talk about trying to use the modwheel for subtle modulations. The modwheel range is over the top and you end up using just the first few millimeters of travel when modulating most of the destinations. I don't have issues with the initial amount knob. I can dial in subtle things with no problems there. Thankfully, the aftertouch does have an amount knob, and that can be used for any modulations that really need a limited range.

U-he did a brilliant thing with their Repro 5 (Prophet 5 inspired vst). They added a range limiter to the modwheel that works perfectly to tame the modwheel's reach when needed.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:41:34 AM »
I find this to be the case on most hardware synths (results are best achieved using very slight knob tweaks).  I'm able to get subtle/slow vibrato on both synths without issue, but I do tend to prefer using the mod wheel for LFO amount rather than initial amount.

If going for such a subtle amount that it sounds more like a detune "blur" than noticable movement, could you achieve that with the vintage knob function?  It can also be used to take the edge off other modulations a bit, so you can get some nice results using vintage the LFO.

I've owned quite a few analog synths (not anymore though) and I think they are very different in the way the LFO amount works. Some are difficult to dial in, some not. I own a Roland 101 and recently sold a JX3P and I think LFO amount is way more comfortable to dial in on both of them.

I guess I will have to get used to using the mod wheel more for subtle vibratos. The new vintage mode is awesome, I like it much more than the old detune function. But it can't replace the subtle vibrato I am looking for.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 03:45:50 AM »
I am still wondering whether the way the LFO amount knob reacts is something that could be modified with an OS update. Or is the whole LFO circuit completely analog?

kpatz

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 09:59:05 AM »
The LFO control is pretty limited on the OB-6, as far as setting modulation depth.  You only have the amount knob and the mod wheel, and both go to wild extremes pretty fast.

An OS update to at least let you tone down the mod wheel depth would be nice to have.  Maybe by holding a button while turning the amount knob.  Having different depths per destination would be nice, too (e.g. hold down F.Freq and turn the amount knob to set depth for filter), but that might be a hardware limitation.

I don't know if or when any more firmware updates will be issued for the P6/OB6 considering they've been out for 5-6 years now, but we could be pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 06:02:47 AM »
Same feeling.
An OS update would be welcomed !

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:06:45 AM »
I don't know why Sequential couldn't use a higher resolution of midi values, even if it might not be possible to increase the resolution for saved patches, for operational purposes the OB6 is screaming out for more precision since tiny movements                                                                                                                                                                                          of the lfo amount and frequency can result in big jumps from one state to another. I have found it very hard to recreate the Boards of Canada type of slow, deep pitch modulation, it always seems to be too shallow or too deep and the same goes for the frequency knob at higher speeds. Doubling of the midi resolution would go a long way to improving these issues.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 03:11:00 PM »
I definitely feel that way about the LFO amount on my P6. Just got an OB6 and so far it seems like it's actually a bit easier to get those subtle LFO amounts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 03:12:35 PM by synthwave4ever »

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 12:48:41 PM »
+1
An OS Update that offers a general "reduction factor" for the mod wheel, or (even better) different ones for the different modulation targets would be great.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 02:41:32 PM »
+1
An OS Update that offers a general "reduction factor" for the mod wheel, or (even better) different ones for the different modulation targets would be great.

I would say a reduction factor on everything. In this case a "Value limiter". I believe most value ranges on the pots are 0 to 127 if I remember correct. Perhaps a way of setting the desired maximum value would be the way to go. I find I don't open the filter passed 2 o clock much (as then it starts to drive the filter and introduce higher harmonics) and the LFO amounts I keep low (especially for the filter and amp which tend to get clicky when the value is too high...sometimes that's a good thing...in other cases it's unwanted) so perhaps a way in the global menu of setting maximum value 50% for example which means regardless of how much you crank a pot it won't go passed that value. The compromise with this is it might be a global value limiter rather than a per pot basis.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 11:35:11 PM »
I made a wish somewhere (for the Pro3 actually) for "any parameter that can be made more high resolution should be made so".

Adding 0.5 between each integer value, or even 0.1, 0.2 ...  0.8, 0.9, 1.0 ...

And some should be able to go higher than their current top value. - Up to 256 or 512, instead of just 127.

(I realize there are hardware limitations to this in many places.)
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.