Comments On Tempest BETA OS - Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5

Comments On Tempest BETA OS - Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
Thanks so much for this beta update. Some very significant fixes there! Hugely appreciated. I have to say it's a real shame about legato glide though, I was praying for this feature since day 1.

I think that as the Tempest is very much a synth as well as a 'drum machine' that it's a very important (well, essential!) feature that should be prioritised and not left aside. I simply don't want envelope retrigger on every note. Smooth bass lines and leads are still very hard to achieve without this feature and I really hope you might change your minds on this feature.

Looking forward to to the swing on beat roll being implemented too. That's also a biggie for me and would make a massive difference.

Thanks again Roger, Dave, Carson, Chris and team DSI!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:29:37 PM by goldphinga »

Re: Comments On Tempest BETA OS - Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
I have to say it's a real shame about legato glide though

I agree, but somehow psychologically it feels better knowing for sure it's not on the horizon than just thinking it's languishing on a FR list somewhere, forgotten. It would be cool for sure, but I see Roger's point - this is a drum machine first and foremost. It can't do everything.

Can't wait to get home and check out the beta. Swung arpeggios!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »
Hi there.

Is there an issue with the link to the new Tempest firmware?

I get directed to a Page not found 404.

Cheers

Tim
Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »
Just an error on my part.

All good now.

Tim
Tim

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »
Swing on the arpeggiator is as wonderful as I'd hoped.

I'm not so sure how I'd like it on the beat roll, I've gotten used to it not being present and have worked with it. I kind of like the abruptness of it going from swing to swingless stutter. I use echo freeze delay a lot on the Elektron Octatrack which also doesn't swing and it can be a cool effect.

I suppose it would be quite a lot of extra work to allow swing to be disabled on beat roll once it's added, yes?

Thanks for everything though, this is a really great update so far!

Stoss

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »
Live jamming a swing beat using the roll is amazing. The Tempest finally feels human. I played bass lines live using the arpeggiator with swing as well... Grinning ear to ear. Just so wonderful.

We need that swing on the Beat Roll as well.

Good, good stuff!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:06:01 AM »
Sorry but when I try to go to the beta page I get the 404 page. Any solutions?
Cheers (really want to test the beta!!)
soundcloud.com/tainsus

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
OK it's fixed sorry ; )
soundcloud.com/tainsus

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
I bought my Tempest used a few months back after using a friend's for a year. I didn't update the software when I got it, bc it was at 1.4- Seemed really buggy and quirky, stealing voices even when I was using less than 6 with no choke assign, also lagging while synced to Beatstep Pro or DAW. I'd workaround by running things in solo'd and nudging regions. Not ideal, but I got used to it.

Just installed the new 1.4.0.15b update and its a whole new ball game. Runs and feels so much more solid to the point that I'm thinking now the OS that was in there must have been corrupt. Whatever they did worked. Admittedly I generally blow past most bugs as a part of the workflow and try not to get hung up, also wouldn't catch certain bugs because they don't affect the way I use it, but I would like to applaud the whole team at DSI and Roger Linn for even attempting this kind of box. It does it's thing in a unique way and though it takes time to make your sounds sound good, it's worth it. Finding really cool things on your way to something else is part of the magic of electronic music.
Great job folks.

blewis

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »
Are things pretty stable for people? I have my first gig with a new band in 2 weeks and I really want to try it, but I am nervous. I just backed up the set.

Just wondering. It's probably safer for me to wait. Long weekend coming up so it'll be hard to resist.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »
Are things pretty stable for people? I have my first gig with a new band in 2 weeks and I really want to try it, but I am nervous. I just backed up the set.

Just wondering. It's probably safer for me to wait. Long weekend coming up so it'll be hard to resist.

There are still a few rough edges to polish, but I personally tested the hell out of this beta before it was released, and just finished a five date tour with it overseas... It's stable, I promise.  In fact, it's actually far more stable than OS 1.4.  There are no more bugs associated with the 'roll' and 'erase' functions, no more ways to cause accidental hung notes, the playlist can no longer be crashed, etc.  The voice allocation algorithm has also been improved, as well as elements of the U.I.

Anyway, I'm confident in saying that you should be fine; but it's your show, so... (wink).

Cheers!

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
Haven't tried the update yet but see the pressure / velocity issue is sorted makes me happy....  No glide modes makes me sad. 

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
the playlist can no longer be crashed, etc.

That is such good news! This is one of the things that has made me trepidatious about using the Tempest in more of my YouTube videos. I haven't had a ton of time to do much testing, but I'm hoping that the Tempest will sync a little better with Reaper (in terms of consistently lining up with the correct bar #'s)

blewis

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »
So far so good. All of my important Projects appear unchanged and behaving well.  I am reporting one bug in the bug thread.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:22:06 PM by blewis »

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
i had the long weekend to werk with it, and felt really great playing the pads. not a single crash or hung note. recorded patterns live, wiggled the Mod Matrix and BW parameters lots... lots of fun. then i promptly wrote an email to support requesting: MOAR MOD PATHS!!!!!!!!! This is a truly wonderful instrument. Thank You, all at DSI.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 06:00:08 AM »
Thank you for making this happen. I appreciate all the work and everyone involved. I sold my Tempest a while ago. But after hearing the news of new firmware and the release of this beta image I order another one. Thank you, Dave and Roger. My interest and pride in this machine is alive again.

bozo

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 07:54:37 PM »
cant find this new beta, can someone post a link please

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 11:19:16 PM »
At the bottom of the first post:
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html
cant find this new beta, can someone post a link please

bozo

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 12:41:29 AM »