The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Detailed Instruction on Using Prophet 5

Detailed Instruction on Using Prophet 5
« on: December 06, 2021, 07:17:01 PM »
I've had my Prophet 5 for a few months and have some basic familiarity with synthesis to the point that I can patch together sounds or work off of presets to aim for a desired sound.

That being said, I've looked everywhere for resources of someone going super in depth about tweaking every parameter with the Prophet 5 .

Is this something that exists? I've seen J3PO video detailing the PolyMod feature (which was great and hugely informative) but haven't seen anything else like that getting into some of the other functionality. I find it hard to believe that everyone who has one of these has a masters in acoustical engineering. Thanks,

Re: Detailed Instruction on Using Prophet 5
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:52:34 AM »
Here are some resources I've found most helpful:

(1) Gordon Reid's synth secrets for Sound on Sound is a goldmine: https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets
(2) The patch sheets for the original 40 sounds is a pretty good start to setting a foundation. Especially the nuances like using the Polymod for the attack on patch #4 electric piano.
(3) YouTube videos on synthesis
(4) Setting up a patch on a modular synth

There are two areas to study and understand:
(1) Sound itself, how various instruments produce their sound, how the harmonic spectrum plays out for a sound (Gordon Reid's synth secrets covers this well)
(2) Applying the principles of sound to the features of the synthesizer, in our case with the Prophet 10 this would be traditional analog subtractive synthesis (VCOs --> VCF --> VCA ....plus modulation).

I apologize for stating the obvious in some of my post but this has been my process and the resources I've used. Part of the fun is that the exploring and learning never stops. I've had a modular for 20 years and I'm still seeking out the same thing you are.