Sticker/Decal who added the Voice Card?

Sticker/Decal who added the Voice Card?
« on: December 06, 2021, 10:03:37 AM »
Just added the 5-Voice voice card to my P5.    Yes, the extra 5-voices really makes huge improvement.

Though, my question:   It would be nice if there could be some kind of "ego" sticker/decal that came with the Voice-Card that could be put on Prophet 5's that would identify that 'this' P5 has been updated to a P10.    Maybe something like a "5+" sticker?  I don't know?? Just thinking out-loud.   As far as the logistics go, I now have P10 with a registered P5 serial number..

I remember when I installed the Grey Matter E! update for my DX7llFD, the update came with an "E!" sticker.  I remembering getting lots of Oooo-&-Awww's...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 10:07:04 AM by engineerjoel »
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.

Re: Sticker/Decal who added the Voice Card?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 07:35:26 PM »
Just added the 5-Voice voice card to my P5.    Yes, the extra 5-voices really makes huge improvement.

Though, my question:   It would be nice if there could be some kind of "ego" sticker/decal that came with the Voice-Card that could be put on Prophet 5's that would identify that 'this' P5 has been updated to a P10.    Maybe something like a "5+" sticker?  I don't know?? Just thinking out-loud.   As far as the logistics go, I now have P10 with a registered P5 serial number..

I remember when I installed the Grey Matter E! update for my DX7llFD, the update came with an "E!" sticker.  I remembering getting lots of Oooo-&-Awww's...

It could do with something... not some cheap sticker but proper metal badge like the name plate.

That said, this is exactly why I went with the P10 in the first place, I had no fetish for the 'classic' Prophet 5 NAME and in fact find Prophet 10 a much better and powerful/obviously upgraded over the old classic name. This debate went on in GS for a long time from buyers of the 5 who swore they didn't need or want 10 voices, telling us 10 owners it was 'too much' and 'chords would get mushy'.. forgetting that most BIG poly synths after the P5 were at least 8 voices and managed just fine. It was quite exasperating to read obviously biased people trying to justify the cheaper price paid as somehow meaning P10 owners were stupid to want 10 voices??? now we were clearly ahead of the pack and got the P10 cheaper than P5 + voice upgrade AND have the proper badge to show the might of the synth.

Nobody in 2022 cares anymore about the Prophet 5 badge, that was killed the day the rev 4s came out and the ultimate prophet was released - the Prophet 10 rev 4 - the new legend!

I would suggest Sequential make Prophet 10 badges and rear black+white text sticker to cover the 'prophet 5' for 10 voice owners, it'll get confusing on the used market in years to come without such a thing.

And yes, of course there are still those who love having the 'real' name 'Prophet 5', I get it but it just doesn't blow smoke up my skirt at all like it would if it was a vintage P5 and before Rev 4s came out. All it says now is "I got the cut down cheaper prophet with voice stealing and inability to stack or use PU2 properly" - and had those eejits on GS listened to us in the first place they would have just bought a P10 from the start, saved money, and got - imo - NOW the better 'badge'.

FTR I got my P10 new for £3000... around £250 LESS than most got their P5s for ;) (BAX BF DEAL NOV 2020). It just made sense to me that after 40 years, Dave bringing the legend back AND doing it properly like he originally wanted (10 voices in THAT stylish case not the organ looking thing) that it was the only way to go... a sound THAT GOOD deserved 10 voices, it deserved to not be out-gunned by an OB-X or Jupiter 8 or any modern 6-8 voice poly (inc their own P6 etc).

This is more of a personal rant than anything, but I'm venting here cos GS is too toxic, but month after month of trying to explain how and why 10 voices was 'better' (esp with the 5 voice limit option to get 'that sound' if needed - 99% of the time I don't) and being told we were stupid... I feel a rant is deserved. :/
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 12:38:36 AM »
I’m proud my 10 voice upgraded P5 rev 4 says Prophet 5 as it has been the P5 I always wanted. The P10 rev4 is more a P5 with 10 voices than a classic P10 with sequencer and two outputs that made them something else than just a P5 with 10 voices (except those few P10 in a P5 body that were overheated).

The thing made me buy the extra voice card was the new great features at 2.0. But the way I, and probably most users today, use a synth such P5/10 today is not on stage but with a DAW that gives unlimited possibilities with voices, layers, panning, multi timbrality etc. That said, I have hard to believe anyone is happier than me that Dave Smith released the P5/10 rev 4 before heaven couldn’t wait any longer for him - guess it has something to do with instruments.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 10:41:31 AM »

I remember when I installed the Grey Matter E! update for my DX7llFD, the update came with an "E!" sticker.  I remembering getting lots of Oohs-&-Aahs..
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.

g3o2

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:07:05 AM »
Provided there was enough space for further code in the firmware, it could be a simple button press on your Prophet:

When showing the firmware number, the number of available voices could be shown several seconds later, alternating with the OS number, e.g. 005 or 05V for the Prophet 5 without voice expansion and 010 or 10V for anything with 10 voices.

This would be way more reliable than just a sticker, which could be faked.

PS: just wondering, do the P5’s without voice expansion show global page 3?

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 06:57:46 AM »
Provided there was enough space for further code in the firmware, it could be a simple button press on your Prophet:

When showing the firmware number, the number of available voices could be shown several seconds later, alternating with the OS number, e.g. 005 or 05V for the Prophet 5 without voice expansion and 010 or 10V for anything with 10 voices.

This would be way more reliable than just a sticker, which could be faked.

PS: just wondering, do the P5’s without voice expansion show global page 3?

The P5 also has a global page 3.... but if I wanted to do a quick check on a unit to see if it has 5 or 10 voices, I would just switch it into poly unison mode and hold down some keys to see if it steals voices after 5 notes or only 2.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC