Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Thom

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.2.5b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »
Hi Roger,
I posted about an issue with external CC control of beat wide fx just before you left for vacation (see below for our conversation). I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on this now you're back :) 

Maybe I'm not understanding the design properly, but there is what I would define as a bug with external midi CC control of beat wide parameters.

Example:
While playing a beat, go to screens/sounds display.
If you use soft knob 2 to change the LP Freq and then return the knob to its initial 0 position, the beat is back to its default sound. This is what I would expect, enabling you to tweak a beat wide parameter for effect and then return it to 0, leaving the sound unaffected.

If instead of soft knob 2 you use an external controller CC 22 to tweak the LP Freq parameter, then I would expect a value of 64 on the the external CC to be equivalent to 0 on the soft knob control. This would enable you to use an external CC to control the beat wide parameters in exactly the same way as using the soft knobs.

This would be very useful for when you want to use recorded CC events to control beat wide effects such as when using an external sequencer with the Tempest, or in live situation when you want to control as much as possible from a single control surface.

The problem/bug is that controlling a beat wide parameter with an external CC behaves in a different way than using the soft knob, so its impossible to reproduce the effect of using the soft knob from an external CC, and its impossible to return the beat to its unaffected state if you do use an external CC to control the beat wide parameters. 

I'm wondering what is going on and if this is on purpose, because it significantly limits the use of the external CC control, which is a shame because it would be very useful if it behaved in the same way as the soft knobs.

Can you tell me how you're using CC22 to control BW Lowpass Cutoff?
By the way, I'm leaving now for a week vacation so either Carson will follow up or I will after my return.

Can you tell me how you're using CC22 to control BW Lowpass Cutoff?
By the way, I'm leaving now for a week vacation so either Carson will follow up or I will after my return.

CC22 is being sent from an external encoder with absolute values 0-127 input to Tempest via usb.
Its set to value 64 initially.

Does that explain?
Maybe its an undocumented feature, I'm having no luck locating it in the manual.

Here are the parameters I know of...
CC# 12 - Distortion
CC# 13 - Compression
CC# 19 - a value other than 0 reverts Beat FX params to defaults
CC# 20 - Beat FX All Osc Frequency
CC# 21 - Beat FX Feedback
CC# 22 - Beat FX Lowpass Filter Cutoff
CC# 23 - Beat FX Lowpass Filter Resonance
CC# 24 - Beat FX Lowpass Filter Audio Mod
CC# 25 - Beat FX Highpass Filter Cutoff
CC# 26 - Beat FX All Env Attack
CC# 27 - Beat FX All Env Decay

Would be great to be able to externally control the FX1,2,3,4 as well!

Enjoy yr vacation :)

Thom

« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2016, 08:47:50 PM »
I noticed this in a separate locked thread:

We have just been made aware of the bug on the 1.4 beta versions which will cause the wrong file to be transmitted from the Tempest if a single file is transmitted.  If you are performing backups of your files, make sure to send an entire folder or the entirety of the Tempest's memory space.

**THIS BUG HAS BEEN FIXED ON THE LATEST AVAILABLE BETA OS (1.4.3.2b)**

Does this mean that all 1.4 beta versions were affected by the bug?
I saved a bunch of single files with various 1.4 beta versions, so I'd like to be clear on the answer to this question.

dsetto

« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2016, 12:54:45 AM »

We have just been made aware of the bug on the 1.4 beta versions which will cause the wrong file to be transmitted from the Tempest if a single file is transmitted.  If you are performing backups of your files, make sure to send an entire folder or the entirety of the Tempest's memory space.

I saved a bunch of single files with various 1.4 beta versions, so I'd like to be clear on the answer to this question.
I noticed it in the beta that was released around mid september. I have the notion that it was not observed before. The only real-world way to know is to import the files and check them. I believe this comes with the terrain of beta. What is amazing is how quickly DSI fixed this beta bug once found.

« Reply #283 on: October 28, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
Hitting reverse before play illuminates the button but does not reverse the beat and the light stays on until you hit the button again, so to start with a beat in reverse you have to simultaneously hit both  buttons or start with the reverse button held then push play and hold reverse for the duration you want. Also, if you have a beat playing in reverse mode and switch to another beat the reverse mode light stays on but the next beat is playing normally. I understand modifying the behavior of the reverse button in regards to starting up a beat is more of a feature request but the button should only be lit when the reverse effect is active, meaning if it is not going to remain reversed after a beat change the light should go off too, so there is no reason to double tap it to get it to turn back on.  (latest main beta and voice 1.5)

« Reply #284 on: October 29, 2016, 01:31:45 AM »
another bug  :

sometimes , Tempest change the pitch of some sounds without reason !

« Reply #285 on: October 29, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »
another bug  :

I have never come across this.

When was the last time you calibrated your machine? Maybe one of the voices is off?
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #286 on: October 29, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »
Calibrate without the cables plugged in and check your voice outs one by one.Can you give more info?Is it pitch or inconsistency?
another bug  :

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »
I have notoced this as well however it isnt drastic. For a while I thought it was ear fatigue. 
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »
I am having an issue on the latest beta where I can send midi notes out from the pads via DIN cable LIVE , but those recorded notes will not send out via din midi cable on sequencer playback. does anyone else have this issue?
I am on premote pad OUT channel 10, pad to note mode sounds, and am trying to send notes c1-c2
I'm sorry, Flux. The System > MIDI Remote Pad Play function only sends MIDI note on messages when you strike the pads, not from sequence playback. The only way to send MIDI note on messages from sequence playback is by using the MIDI Polyphonic Keyboard Play screen.

« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
Hi Roger,
I posted about an issue with external CC control of beat wide fx just before you left for vacation (see below for our conversation). I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on this now you're back :) 
Unfortunately those CC controls were implemented without my knowledge. I agree that it doesn't work perfectly and a CC22 value of 64 should ideally produce the same effect as zero on the graphic knob. But to my ears, sending a CC22 value of 75 returns it to the unaffected sound, which will allow you to do the same thing.

« Reply #290 on: October 30, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »

On the download page, yes this is listed as fixed:

Main OS 1.4.3.2b
Fixed Bug: Export single file transmitting wrong file
Fixed Bug: duplicate file names shown in folders

Of course these are all beta versions, the purpose of which is to find bugs before official releases. So you all in this thread are kindly testing this unreleased software to help learn whether it is suitable for an official release. No one really knows when this bug first existed but rather only when it was first observed. You should be able to find Carson's post about this bug, but I don't think that's going to help you much.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:42:10 PM by Roger_Linn »

« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2016, 09:59:24 PM »
Hitting reverse before play illuminates the button but does not reverse the beat and the light stays on until you hit the button again, so to start with a beat in reverse you have to simultaneously hit both  buttons or start with the reverse button held then push play and hold reverse for the duration you want. Also, if you have a beat playing in reverse mode and switch to another beat the reverse mode light stays on but the next beat is playing normally. I understand modifying the behavior of the reverse button in regards to starting up a beat is more of a feature request but the button should only be lit when the reverse effect is active, meaning if it is not going to remain reversed after a beat change the light should go off too, so there is no reason to double tap it to get it to turn back on.  (latest main beta and voice 1.5)
I assume you are referring to Beat-Wide Reverse mode, which 16 Beats is selected. In that case, I toggle the Reverse button on and play a beat and it plays correctly in reverse. However, I do agree that if you then select a different Beat Pad, the newly-selected beat does not play in reverse even though the Reverse light is on. I've added that to the Tempest bug list and thank you for finding it.

« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »
another bug  :

Thank you. However, it's a little difficult to know what you're talking about. Sadly the only way to fix a bug is to be able to repeat it here. So we're ideally looking for a list of steps we can follow that will permit us to experience the problem exactly as you do. If you're able to describe the problem in that way, it would be much appreciated.

« Reply #293 on: October 30, 2016, 10:11:49 PM »
Regrettably I must take leave of you all as I am leaving for two weeks to promote my new LinnStrument 128, announced just today, and will not have a Tempest with me to do testing. In my absence, I have asked Carson to respond as appropriate to forum posts.

« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »
Regrettably I must take leave of you all as I am leaving for two weeks to promote my new LinnStrument 128, announced just today, and will not have a Tempest with me to do testing. In my absence, I have asked Carson to respond as appropriate to forum posts.

Good luck with the launch/promo Roger and, as always, thank you for your input here.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Thom

« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
Hi Roger,
Unfortunately those CC controls were implemented without my knowledge. I agree that it doesn't work perfectly and a CC22 value of 64 should ideally produce the same effect as zero on the graphic knob. But to my ears, sending a CC22 value of 75 returns it to the unaffected sound, which will allow you to do the same thing.

Thanks Roger, some of the CC parameters are more 'misaligned' than others and agreed, Low Pass freq CC22 at 75 does sound about the same as the tempest softknob at 0. Others CCs such as HPass seem to use CC val of 0 (extreme anti-clockwise) as the equivalent of tempest softknob at 0 (centre) position.

ALL OSC PITCH on CC20 stands out as being the most misaligned, it seems impossible to return all the sounds in the beat to their original pitch after tweaking it with the CC. Perhaps because the digi and analog oscs have different pitch ranges.

Anyway the CCs are still a powerful feature for the extra control and flexibility they offer for remote and automated applications, so i'm glad they sneaked in there!

Stoss

« Reply #296 on: November 06, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
I feel like this may have been covered before, but...

I've got a bass sound being sequenced on Pad B16. I am sending that same sequence out to an external MIDI synth. When I turn the volume of the internal sound down to zero (this applies to both volume controls, on the Fdbk/VCA and Mixer screens), it stops the sequence to the external MIDI device and the pad light no longer flashes to show sequencer action. I feel like this is really unintuitive. It's like it engages the mute function, but really, it should only be working with volume mix levels. I assume this is meant to help with voice allocation, but it is not expected user behavior.

« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2016, 10:56:37 PM »
I found a bug while using the compresser envelope function.

While using the compresser envelope with the envolope trigger the effect does not resume upon reboot.

The parameters are getting saved, but will not respond accordingly unless I make a change to the values.

I'm currently only using attack and amount and the effect won't resume unless I change the value of both the attack and amount.

I'm not sure if this is design feature or bug, but I figured it's worth noting.

« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
I feel like this may have been covered before, but...

I've got a bass sound being sequenced on Pad B16. I am sending that same sequence out to an external MIDI synth. When I turn the volume of the internal sound down to zero (this applies to both volume controls, on the Fdbk/VCA and Mixer screens), it stops the sequence to the external MIDI device and the pad light no longer flashes to show sequencer action. I feel like this is really unintuitive. It's like it engages the mute function, but really, it should only be working with volume mix levels. I assume this is meant to help with voice allocation, but it is not expected user behavior.
Hi Stoss,
I'm still out of town but I can answer this. I'm afraid that's the way it's supposed to work, for the reason you gave--to free up voices that aren't being heard. Internally the voice and sent MIDI notes are tightly linked so it's difficult to separate them without causing some bug in Tempest's many modes of operation. Fortunately the workaround is simple--turn the mix volume down to almost zero. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2016, 06:54:53 AM »
I'm still out of town but I can answer this. I'm afraid that's the way it's supposed to work, for the reason you gave--to free up voices that aren't being heard. Internally the voice and sent MIDI notes are tightly linked so it's difficult to separate them without causing some bug in Tempest's many modes of operation. Fortunately the workaround is simple--turn the mix volume down to almost zero. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
i've been there: you can keep volume up and turn all oscillators off, that way the sequencer will keep on sending notes but tempest wont make any sound (out of that pad). The sequencer will still steal a voice though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:09:26 AM by sata_fortuna »