Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.2.5b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
Another one from me - I am still on the previous version but can't see this in any changelogs...

If 'remote pad play' mode is set to 'beats' and a midi note is sent triggering a new beat whilst 'roll' is held down then the beat rolls.

I guess one could argue this is expected behaviour but it happens even if the Tempest is set to 'sounds' mode, so if you want to jam by rolling individual sounds whilst triggering beats via MIDI you can't as the beat always rolls as well. I'd class it as a bug anyway - it's annoying me! ; )

Also it seems buggy behaviour anyway as the beat seems to get stuck in the 'roll' state even if roll is released until either another beat is triggered or the same beat is re-triggered.

I'm not set-up to test this one at the moment, but it sounds like a bug.  I'll let Roger Linn suss this one out.  I will add it to our list once it's confirmed.  Thanks for reporting it though, muleskinner.

Cheers!

« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Hey all,

Here's an updated list of the remaining bugs:

·       If you accidentally hit the 16 Beats or 16 Mutes button first, when trying to enter 16 tunings or 16 Levels mode, the Roll function automatically disengages – mode changes should happen upon the button’s release in order to prevent this.

·       In 16 Tunings mode, when the sequencer is stopped, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       In 16 Levels mode, when the sequencer is stopped, the Arp allows notes to be triggered outside of the selected quantize value, which creates undesirable flams when trying to depress multiple notes at once, or when adding new notes to the arpeggio.  Also, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       When recording with the Arp in 16 Levels mode, the held pads blink in succession with each note trigger as expected; but after the first pass of the sequence is recorded, only pad 16 blinks.  *In all other Arp modes, the pads continue to blink in the order they were depressed/recorded as expected.

·      When switching beats on-the-fly, the first step of the sequencer-out is consistently late; so if you're triggering a sample loop on the one, every time you switch beats on the Tempest, it will be out of sync for the first pass.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      Tempest starts one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      If you hold 'Shift' and turn the Compressor knob to get into the compressor menu, you can no longer get back to the Mixer screen.

·      When Slider Mode is set to 'Real-time', only FX1 Slider is affected. FX2/3/4 sliders are always 'Step' regardless of this parameter setting.

·      Using Mod Paths for external MIDI sound control results in intermittent affect on the sound.  *Causes are unclear, but the bug occurs more frequently on playback of a Beat with many sounds.

·      When playing a Beat containing held notes of an ADSR sound, if you turn on Bank B while 1) a note is playing and 2) a different sound is selected, the playing note's pad sticks on.

·      LFO sync drifts when set to either 'Beat' or 'Play', and dotted eighths remains missing from the sync options.

·      The sequencer-out still doesn't trigger notes in real-time: i.e. it only sends trigger information after the sequence is recorded, which essentially means that you're recording deaf.

·      Beat roll still doesn't swing.

·      A sound folder is still need to correspond with the pad name "Synth".

·      Duplicate files appear when scrolling through the Beat and Project Folders in the Load File screen.

·      Similarly, if a file is deleted from a folder and the following folder has a greater number of files present, navigating up (folder 2 -> folder 1) to the folder which the file was deleted from causes the last deleted file from the folder to be displayed as the last file in the folder.  The file cannot be selected.

·      Exporting an individual file from a file list will transmit the wrong file from the folder.

·      When adding or copying steps via the Events Screen, the Pad lights do not correlate correctly in 16 Time Steps mode.

·      If slaving a playlist from MIDI clock received over DIN MIDI and starting at location 9.1.1 or higher, Tempest starts playing from the wrong position. Syncing from MIDI Clock over USB works fine.

·      In 16 Mutes mode, on the Pads screen, although you are still able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) it is not reflected graphically on the display.  This could be fixed if the display matched the style of the Mixer screen.

·       The Mute/Solo/Delay buttons should perform their functions in both the 16 Mutes/Pads and 16 Mutes/Mixer screens.

·      Mutes “All On” should be available on the mixer screen in both 16 Mutes and 16 Sounds Mode.

·      The “Undo All Sounds” functionality needs to be made simpler or otherwise removed.

·      The Tempest can enter a state – usually after updating – wherein two or more sounds cannot be triggered at the same time.  Resetting the system settings seems to fix the issue, but only temporarily.  The Tempest can revert back to this state, cause as of yet unknown.

·      When you set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only', if you mute a pad that contains a sequence and then attempt to play that same sound live in 16 Tunings mode, turning the Mixer Level knob causes the sound to cut-out.

I'll keep adding to this list as bugs get reported and confirmed.  Thanks for all your hard work everyone.  Now wouldn't it be something if we could take the better part of these OFF the list... Keep making noise, y'all (wink).

Cheers!

« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2016, 01:28:14 AM »
DSI, I am looking forward to the remaining 'misfires' to be cleared up. An amazing machine. Put it at legendary status where it belongs.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »
Agreed...legendary status for sure. Thanks for cleaning up the bug list. Hopefully it can be all put to rest.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve returned from my vacation (in Costa Rica—see attached photo) and have reviewed all the forum posts made during my absence.

First, for those who haven’t seen it, I had made a forum post months ago when the first beta was released, in which I detail how each of the petition bugs was addressed at the time. On September 8 with the release of beta 1.4.2.5b, I updated that post to reflect the additional fixes, as well as detailing the 16 bug fixes that weren’t on the petition. If you haven’t read that post, it’s the second message in this thread:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html

In quick summary, I state in that post that I believe we’ve achieved my goal for this particular update of addressing the bugs stated in the petition, plus fixing another 16 bugs that weren’t on the petition that we felt were important. I’d say that’s pretty good and I’m thankful to Chris, Dave and all at DSI for putting in the significant time and effort it took to do it. So once we fix a few remaining problems that have been found in the fixes, we’re going to release an official update, which of course makes sense because otherwise, neither new Tempest owners nor existing owners who aren’t comfortable installing a beta would be unable to benefit from these significant improvements.

After that, we’ll of course continue to fix any bugs that are found, and thanks to all for the new bug reports, including John T. Savage for keeping a list. I'll be responding to some of the recent posts in the coming days (as time permits) in order to understand each bug fully.

- Roger

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »
Roger, thanks for the update;) That pic is awesome!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Stoss

« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »
Hi Roger.

Please tell me that the Beat Roll will swing before DSI checks out of this for another year or two.

And, please tell me that things left unfinished will not take another year or two to be revisited. Please, please, please. I just love this machine so much and want it wrapped up!

Thanks again for recommitting to this.

« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »
Hi Roger.

Please tell me that the Beat Roll will swing before DSI checks out of this for another year or two.

And, please tell me that things left unfinished will not take another year or two to be revisited. Please, please, please. I just love this machine so much and want it wrapped up!

Thanks again for recommitting to this.
I'm afraid I can't give you an exact date for adding swing to Beat Roll. To be honest, when I initially read it on the petition, I didn't even think of Beat Roll because it said "Roll/Arp", but that's my error. Regarding your second question, in the short term, fixes to the fixes will be prompt so we can get this official update out. For the future, yes Tempest bugs will continue to be fixed in a timely manner, and rest assured that I will continue to push for that. That said, given that all but a few petition bugs were addressed plus 16 additional bugs were fixed that weren't on the petition, I think it's fair to let DSI's other products get some love for the moment, given that work on them languished while so much of the focus was on Tempest. To be clear, don't read into this that I'm hinting that Tempest updates will be abandoned or further updates will take 2 years because that's not true.

On a related topic, I'm know I'm biased but it's pretty amazing to me that Tempest has so very many more features and musically-useful capabilities than any other analog drum machine on the market, and at this point I think that Tempest bugs are minor compared to those capabilities and compared to other buggy complex hardware sequencing products like the current MPCs, which don't have the enormous complexity of a 9-computer analog voice system. And I'm particularly proud of the fact that among all the bugs mentioned, not one of them corrupts your music data because that was fundamental to the design from the start. Plus I'm proud of the fact that quite a large number of pros are making music with Tempest daily.

So in summary, yes there are still some bugs, yes they're important to us, yes we'll zap them, and yes I'll continue to make sure we do.

Stoss

« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
On a related topic, I'm know I'm biased but it's pretty amazing to me that Tempest has so very many more features and musically-useful capabilities than any other analog drum machine on the market,

I guess I'm biased too as I was thinking similar thoughts just yesterday as I watched the videos of the Arturia DrumBrute yesterday. One of the reviews (could have been the guy on SonicState) said that the reverse feature on the cymbal sound was the first of it's kind on an analog drum machine. I couldn't believe it. It made me think of everything the Tempest can do and just how much more robust and complex it is than this new machine.

I'll say it again... I love the Tempest. Roger... you are the best.

« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I guess I'm biased too as I was thinking similar thoughts just yesterday as I watched the videos of the Arturia DrumBrute yesterday. One of the reviews (could have been the guy on SonicState) said that the reverse feature on the cymbal sound was the first of it's kind on an analog drum machine. I couldn't believe it. It made me think of everything the Tempest can do and just how much more robust and complex it is than this new machine.

I'll say it again... I love the Tempest. Roger... you are the best.
Thanks for the kind words, Stoss. To give credit where it is due, it was Chris Hector who came up with the idea of reversing the attack and decay of the envelopes in order to reverse an analog sound, one of my favorite Tempest features.

« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
I don't know if this is a bug or not but I thought I would ask. When using the Tempest to sequence externally the Roll feature will make the external sequence roll as well but the reverse feature will not. Is this the way it is supposed to be? I would love for both not to make it occur or better yet, a feature that allowed you to chose. Thanks, -Lance

« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
I don't know if this is a bug or not but I thought I would ask. When using the Tempest to sequence externally the Roll feature will make the external sequence roll as well but the reverse feature will not. Is this the way it is supposed to be? I would love for both not to make it occur or better yet, a feature that allowed you to chose. Thanks, -Lance

I belive the reverse only affects the Tempest's envelopes, so this would be expected behavior.

« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2016, 04:57:22 AM »
great update. out of the list John posted i think the most concerning things now are the syncing issues, and this:

·      The Tempest can enter a state – usually after updating – wherein two or more sounds cannot be triggered at the same time.  Resetting the system settings seems to fix the issue, but only temporarily.  The Tempest can revert back to this state, cause as of yet unknown.

it only happened once to me after updating, didn't know it could revert after resetting ¿happen to anyone in a situation other than updating?. resetting works but means configuring again several midi settings, no good if this happens in a live situation

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2016, 08:24:41 AM »
Funny, I had the same issue. For some reason I vaguely felt like it was a bug but just accepted that the Tempest couldn't play two sounds live at the same time...what was I thinking *grin*?? I have updated to the latest firmware...will check this when I get back from work tonight.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2016, 08:09:03 PM »
Multiple pad play seems to be working awesome on 1.4.3.2b.

Stoss

« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »
I'm still on 1.4.3b and noticed that the multiple pad play bug is related to the arpeggiator. If Roll is set to anything other than "Retrig", when roll is off, multiple pads cannot be pressed at the same time.

I will try the update.

« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »
I'm still on 1.4.3b and noticed that the multiple pad play bug is related to the arpeggiator. If Roll is set to anything other than "Retrig", when roll is off, multiple pads cannot be pressed at the same time.

I will try the update.

Ah-Hah!  Tested and confirmed... And that's why resetting the system parameters seemed to fixed the problem.

Good find, Stoss (grin).

Cheers!

« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »

I will try the update.
EXCELLENT! Thanks, Stoss.

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2016, 06:33:34 AM »
Hello all and thanks for your hard work to make Tempest even better! The changes are complex and amazing.

However, we are still missing a working Latch function on Roll set as FX. This behaviour is possible in previous OS by switching to Sounds Mode while rolling in Beats/Mutes. This is crucial to perform live along the rolling loop. If there's any way to achieve it now, please let me know, otherwise I'm reluctantly heading back again to the old OS. I'd be truly grateful for reimplementing this feature, fingers crossed!

cheers!
pawel

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »
As stated it was a bug that was removed ::)
Hello all and thanks for your hard work to make Tempest even better! The changes are complex and amazing.

However, we are still missing a working Latch function on Roll set as FX. This behaviour is possible in previous OS by switching to Sounds Mode while rolling in Beats/Mutes. This is crucial to perform live along the rolling loop. If there's any way to achieve it now, please let me know, otherwise I'm reluctantly heading back again to the old OS. I'd be truly grateful for reimplementing this feature, fingers crossed!

cheers!
pawel