Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

dsetto

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.2.5b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2016, 11:18:49 PM »
I'm all for a Tempest OS that addresses key functions per DSI/RLD's concept. I'm not expecting completely bug free. (Btw, I haven't found Tempest to be unstable, in the sense of unexpected crashes.)

« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »
I see the petition has garnered 18 new signatures in the last few days... That's the spirit: 818 supporters and still counting (grin). I know you're out there Tempest owners; let's see if we can't push it to 1000! There's work yet to be done, folks, so if you haven't already, please lend your voice to the cause.  There is an updated list of the remaining bugs on page 10 of this thread, along with an explanation of why your help is still needed.  Pass it on...

https://www.change.org/p/dave-smith-help-make-the-tempest-a-priority-for-dave-smith-instruments?recruiter=2593925&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

Cheers!

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.2.1b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
The issue with two sounds not being able to be triggered at the same time seems to be resolved by resetting the Tempest's system parameters.  Would users whom are encountering this issue please reset the system preferences and check whether the issue is still present?

I already spoke to Roger Linn directly about this; but just so everyone knows, I was able to get the Tempest back into this state, despite having reset the system parameters.  So the reset does work to solve the problem temporarily, but it seems this bug runs deeper and remains cause unknown...

Cheers!

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.2.1b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »
Yep for me the 2nd was the lucky one..Didn't encounter it again..If i'll update to a newer beta and still persist then it must be somewhere hidden and comes out with every update..Just a guess..
The issue with two sounds not being able to be triggered at the same time seems to be resolved by resetting the Tempest's system parameters.  Would users whom are encountering this issue please reset the system preferences and check whether the issue is still present?

I already spoke to Roger Linn directly about this; but just so everyone knows, I was able to get the Tempest back into this state, despite having reset the system parameters.  So the reset does work to solve the problem temporarily, but it seems this bug runs deeper and remains cause unknown...

Cheers!

bozo

« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2016, 03:26:04 AM »
Certainly some of the bugs must be fix, things like the late beat and midi timing are essential for the machine to be what it is supposed to be A DRUM MACHINE.
A drum machine isnt something you can kick to make it stay in time like you can a drummer, and any drummer worth his or her salt isnt late on beat changes or timing with others.
DSI you're at the last few hurdles dont drop the ball now. Please get this finished and garner the respect you were loosing and gain the accolades you deserve for persevering.
I have made this statement across a number of forums: "I wont buy new products from DSI till they fix the Tempest" and I wont.
I dont need to, I do this for fun these days (a pro many many moons ago), I dont care what great things you make and I do have the money to buy and would most likely have bought a Pro Two or 6/OB6 by now.
I have been a DSI/SCI customer since I bought, of all things a Drum Traks NEW back when it was released.
Thank you for your time.

« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2016, 05:34:25 AM »
+1
I did the same promise to myself "I wont buy any new DSI products until the Tempest is finished".

It is a fantastic machine, and I love it, but I think it is a shame that as customers we have got to the point to beg DSI to finish its development.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #206 on: October 02, 2016, 07:28:26 AM »
I have been sequencing a new track using the octatrack as master clock to virus (get this) daisy chained to tempest. I have clock running perfectly. What exactly are people referring to about timing. I press play and presto....magic. Is it really effecting your music or are you talking about micro-timing offset? Please post an example using the current beta OS.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #207 on: October 02, 2016, 02:10:44 PM »
I have been sequencing a new track using the octatrack as master clock to virus (get this) daisy chained to tempest. I have clock running perfectly. What exactly are people referring to about timing. I press play and presto....magic. Is it really effecting your music or are you talking about micro-timing offset? Please post an example using the current beta OS.

Hi LucidSFX,

There's more to it than what I've copied below, and it's an elusive bug to be sure; but this is the gist of it, as we determined months ago during our initial tests:

Quote from: roger_linn
[...] I was unable to reproduce any sync drift, but I did find that Tempest syncs to MIDI clock either correctly, 1 clock early, or 2 clocks early, depending on whether Playlist is on or off and sync is received over DIN or USB MIDI.

To that end, a lot of users have had success slaving the Tempest to the Octatrack, so if for whatever reason you're not experiencing any sync issues with your set-up, I say stay the course and be thankful (grin).

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #208 on: October 02, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
Interesting. I agree that just because I dont experience or notice anything that it isnt a bug. I was more interested in hearing examples. So, does a cycle mean 4 quarter ticks...starting a bar late or is a cycle a quarter tick....one quarter note off...or something else? *grin*.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »
Interesting. I agree that just because I dont experience or notice anything that it isnt a bug. I was more interested in hearing examples. So, does a cycle mean 4 quarter ticks...starting a bar late or is a cycle a quarter tick....one quarter note off...or something else? *grin*.

I'll let Roger Linn answer this when he gets back from his vacation.  Posting an example, however, is unnecessary.  You'll just have to trust me when I tell you that it's an audible discrepancy; such that you'd know it to hear it if it was happening to you, and it sounds exactly as one might expect: flam, flam, flam... (wink).

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »
Good enough. No need to post an example. I may not even notice it because I'd use the Tempest for drums and the virus for synth/bass patches.  Maybe if I loaded two drum patches and played them both on the the same beat I would notice it then.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #211 on: October 03, 2016, 04:29:32 AM »
It does indeed have that function!  If you hold shift + Undo Rec you will see the 'Undo All Snds' function displayed in the bottom left of the screen.  The bug is that it doesn't always revert ALL the sounds in the beat, just some of them.

Cheers, J :)
Ah, that appears to be something that Chris snuck in without my knowledge. I tend to frown upon commands that require 3 fingers to operate. Can't imagine why.
Chris-- would you care to respond to this gentleman?

Yes, Chris, this functionality seems a little convoluted to me as well.

a) the prompt is unclear...
b) the act of entering this page automatically 'reverts' the currently selected sound whether you hit the pad or not...
c) having to hold these buttons makes it difficult to access the pads in general...
d) it's a liability if you accidentally hit the 'Undo Rec' button first...
e) the 'SHIFT' button sticks if you accidentally let go of it first, even though it's being held instead of toggled...

I personally would prefer it if this functionality was simply removed altogether; but if it must stay, surely there's a simpler and safer way to 'Revert All Sounds'.  No?

Cheers!

PLEASE DON'T REMOVE THAT FUNCTIONALITY, IT'S KEY FOR ME!  I agree that its operation could be simplified a little though, in addition to rectifying the intermittent behaviour whereby only some of the sounds are reverted.  When it works though it's great!!

« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
It does indeed have that function!  If you hold shift + Undo Rec you will see the 'Undo All Snds' function displayed in the bottom left of the screen.  The bug is that it doesn't always revert ALL the sounds in the beat, just some of them.

Cheers, J :)
Ah, that appears to be something that Chris snuck in without my knowledge. I tend to frown upon commands that require 3 fingers to operate. Can't imagine why.
Chris-- would you care to respond to this gentleman?

Yes, Chris, this functionality seems a little convoluted to me as well.

a) the prompt is unclear...
b) the act of entering this page automatically 'reverts' the currently selected sound whether you hit the pad or not...
c) having to hold these buttons makes it difficult to access the pads in general...
d) it's a liability if you accidentally hit the 'Undo Rec' button first...
e) the 'SHIFT' button sticks if you accidentally let go of it first, even though it's being held instead of toggled...

I personally would prefer it if this functionality was simply removed altogether; but if it must stay, surely there's a simpler and safer way to 'Revert All Sounds'.  No?

Cheers!

PLEASE DON'T REMOVE THAT FUNCTIONALITY, IT'S KEY FOR ME!  I agree that its operation could be simplified a little though, in addition to rectifying the intermittent behaviour whereby only some of the sounds are reverted.  When it works though it's great!!

Don't worry, when I talked this over with Roger Linn, the consensus was to find a way to improve this functionality rather than remove it.  I think we all agree that it's useful, just poorly implemented.

All the more reason to be noisy, my fellow aficionados; the Tempest ain't gonna fix itself (wink, wink).

Cheers!

« Reply #213 on: October 03, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
2 new bugs guys:

Bug 1:

1. Set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only'
2. Mute one of your pads which contains a sequence
3. Play that same pad live in 16 tunings mode whilst tweaking the mixer level knob
4. You will hear the sound cuts out while the knob is being tweaked, then returns when you leave the knob alone

Bug 2 (similar to or same as the recently reported sync bug, not sure):

Noticed tonight that often when I first start Tempest set as Master, with Ableton Live 9.6.1 set as slave, the first beat or two are not quite in time, then it tightens up and is fine.  This approach to sync with Ableton seems to be the only way currently since setting Ableton as the master & Tempest as the slave creates VERY shoddy timing.

« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »

Noticed tonight that often when I first start Tempest set as Master, with Ableton Live 9.6.1 set as slave, the first beat or two are not quite in time, then it tightens up and is fine.  This approach to sync with Ableton seems to be the only way currently since setting Ableton as the master & Tempest as the slave creates VERY shoddy timing.

That's true, it gets even worse when there's a loop playing in ableton and very bad when playlist on the tempest is on. but i think that ableton is to blame here too, because i never had any trouble to sync the tempest to an xbase or a ciirklon...

« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
Tip alert!!!I'll also move it to the tips & tricks thread..
To anyone searching for a tight sync between Ableton Live & Tempest if you own an iOS device with the free Midi Link Sync app and this adapter http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
you can have a very tight sync using Ableton's Link feature  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:59:34 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
To anyone searching for a tight sync between Ableton Live & Tempest if you own an iOS device with the free Midi Link Sync app and this adapter http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Interesting. I was going to ask if this issue was only with Ableton Live.

I've been using the Tempest stand alone and have yet to test it with Digital Performer (which is what I use).

If the problem only persist with Ableton Live then maybe the problem lies in Ableton and the way it transmits MIDI sync.

Sorry if this has been answered already but does this problem occur with other sequencers? Software only? Hardware?

https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »

Interesting. I was going to ask if this issue was only with Ableton Live.

I've been using the Tempest stand alone and have yet to test it with Digital Performer (which is what I use).

If the problem only persist with Ableton Live then maybe the problem lies in Ableton and the way it transmits MIDI sync.

Sorry if this has been answered already but does this problem occur with other sequencers? Software only? Hardware?

Hey guys, might I respectfully ask that we move this conversation at this point to its own thread, as to not derail this bug thread with general discussion about other hardware and DAW's.  Much appreciated.  Thanks.

Cheers!

« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2016, 07:01:03 AM »
Another one from me - I am still on the previous version but can't see this in any changelogs...

If 'remote pad play' mode is set to 'beats' and a midi note is sent triggering a new beat whilst 'roll' is held down then the beat rolls.

I guess one could argue this is expected behaviour but it happens even if the Tempest is set to 'sounds' mode, so if you want to jam by rolling individual sounds whilst triggering beats via MIDI you can't as the beat always rolls as well. I'd class it as a bug anyway - it's annoying me! ; )

Also it seems buggy behaviour anyway as the beat seems to get stuck in the 'roll' state even if roll is released until either another beat is triggered or the same beat is re-triggered.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:02:40 AM by muleskinner »
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »
2 new bugs guys:

Bug 1:

1. Set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only'
2. Mute one of your pads which contains a sequence
3. Play that same pad live in 16 tunings mode whilst tweaking the mixer level knob
4. You will hear the sound cuts out while the knob is being tweaked, then returns when you leave the knob alone

Bug 1.  Tested and confirmed here.  I'll add it to our list.

Bug 2.  Given that you're using the Tempest as the master clock in this scenario, I'm calling this Ableton's issue.

Cheers!