Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

dsetto

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
Whoops. I will describe a simplified test that I just performed on my Tempest that conveys the issue I've observed.

SETUP:
- Slave Tempest's MIDI Port to DAW's MIDI Beat Clock.
- Optional: Configure DAW's MIDI Beat Clock. Helps to hear that sync is maintained, when hearing clicks from both DAW & Tempest
- Set DAW to 120 bpm, 44.1 kHz, 256 buffer size, time signature to 4/4
- Initialize Tempest Project
- 16 Beats Mode
- Beat 1: change time signature to 4/4, and Beat length of 1 measure.
- copy Beat 1 to pads (aka, Beats) 2-10.
- no need to actually record a sequence to the Beats. (Do so, optionally, if desired.)
- Playlist mode, Events screen:
- for following Playlist, let all steps be 1 measure
- create Playlist of 10 steps,  so that for each number n,
step n=Beat n.
So,
step 1=Beat 1,
step 2=Beat 2,
step 3=Beat 3,
step 9=Beat 9,
step 10=Beat 10.
step 11=nothing
- Set Playlist End to "Stop Playback".
("Loop to Step 1" gave me same results.)

More "rules" for testing consistency:
- Always begin DAW from stop.
- On DAW, only begin at the 1st or 3rd beat of a measure. 
- Tempest buttons/modes during test:
16 Beats lit
Playlist lit
Events lit
Click on

HYPOTHESIS:
- Playing DAW from a beat 1 or best 3, from any measure between 1-10, and Tempest Playlist's measure should soon correspond to same measure as DAW. Moreso, as each Playlist step is 1 measure, and consists of consecutively ordered Beats 1-10, the Playlist step # and Beat # should soon correspond to DAW measure #, after pressing play on DAW. This should happen, no matter the measure 1-10, the DAW is started from.

RESULTS:
- Starting DAW before measure 9, Playlist plays as expected.
For example, beginning on DAW measure 3,
beat 3: by DAW measure 4, beat 1, Tempest playlist plays step 4, which is Beat 4 (pad 4 lights), and Playlist measure 4.
Also, beginning on DAW measure 8, beat 3: by DAW measure 9, beat 1, Tempest playlist plays step 9, which is Beat 9 (pad 9 lights), and Playlist measure 9.
- from any of these pre-'measure 9' start points, Playlist plays to end as programmed.

However:
- Starting DAW on or after measure 9, Playlist plays step 2 at the 1st beat of the 2nd measure after starting DAW. This is unexpected.
From this point onward, Tempest plays its Playlist as programmed; but this doesn't correspond to where it is supposed to be relative to DAW.

For example:
Beginning on DAW measure 9, beat 3: by DAW measure 10, beat 1, Tempest playlist plays step 2, which is Beat 2 (pad 2 lights), and Playlist measure 2.

Another example: beginning on DAW measure 10, beat 1: by DAW measure 11, beat 1, Tempest playlist plays step 2, which is Beat 2 (pad 2 lights), and Playlist measure 2.

« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »
Whoops. I will describe a simplified test that I just performed on my Tempest that conveys the issue I've observed....
Hi dsetto--
Thank you. You've just found a new bug:

If slaving a playlist from MIDI clock received over DIN MIDI and starting at location 9.1.1 or higher, Tempest starts playing from the wrong position. Syncing from MIDI Clock over USB works fine.

Thanks much!
Roger Linn

dsetto

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2016, 07:47:19 AM »
Honored to participate. I'll try slaving via USB.

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.2.1b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2016, 06:35:19 AM »
Testing today OS 1.4.2.1b and Voice 1.5. In beat mode, When playing from one beat to the next or a different beat, its not playing the first note at the begining.

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »
Testing today OS 1.4.2.1b and Voice 1.5. In beat mode, When playing from one beat to the next or a different beat, its not playing the first note at the begining.
Hi darmanmerdeka--
I'm not seeing that here. Does it occur with one of the factory project files? And is there anything unique about your System settings? Anything that can help me repeat it here is appreciated. Also, I assume you mean that Pad Function is set to 16 Beats and that you are arranging beats live, correct? If so, what is the difference between "to the next or a different beat"? 

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
Scanning through the Save/load menu on the latest beta is a bit glitchy/slow.Pretty sure on the previous beta it was ok.

dsetto

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
Scanning through the Save/load menu on the latest beta is a bit glitchy/slow.Pretty sure on the previous beta it was ok.
I noticed this in 1.4.0.15b (and recall it wasn't in 1.4.0.0.) I believe I read (in this forum) that Carson attributed it to the new feature where file names are in alphabetical order.

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2016, 04:45:32 PM »
Hi darmanmerdeka--
I'm not seeing that here. Does it occur with one of the factory project files? And is there anything unique about your System settings? Anything that can help me repeat it here is appreciated. Also, I assume you mean that Pad Function is set to 16 Beats and that you are arranging beats live, correct? If so, what is the difference between "to the next or a different beat"? 

Hi Roger-
I'm using the same project file with OS 1.4.0.15b and i dont have this note cut but when upgrade to the new OS and its there.
Yes, the pad function in 16 beats and arranging beats live. To the next i mean in order by number (1,2,3...) and to a different is randomly changing the beat.
I'm sorry i cant repeat the note cut i have before, i just go back with OS 1.4.0.15b again since i got a concert coming.
But i'm happy if its not there and if its because of my setting and will be back testing again later next month..
thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:49:45 PM by darmanmerdeka »

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »
I think that can be improved. Yes it's due to the alphabetization, but it should only slow down the scrolling between folders, not scrolling within a folder.

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2016, 03:41:40 AM »
Also when stopped, if the sound is locked to a voice, the sound is very short, like almost inaudible.

Dunno if it's related but I had a similar issue. I was just using the main outs and I had a kick drum playing a pattern, it was fine when sequenced or played with the pads. It was a long kick drum so I wanted to ensure no overlaps, so I set it to choke itself - it worked as expected

Then, I got some new cables so assigned the kick drum in this pattern to voice out 1. On sequenced playback, the kick drum was fine but when playing the pads, it was like the envelope was just an extremely short decay - almost inaudible. Took me ages to figure out but I realised that when the sound is assigned to a voice, having the pad choke itself is kind of redundant - since the voice assignment ensures no overlaps anyway. It absolutely makes sense but it is a bit of a gotcha, since when working with the main outs, it works differently.

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »
Definitely there's something wrong with voice handling on the latest beta.If i play too many pads fast, sounds won't get triggered.You can replicate it pretty easily.Just use both hands and play very fast the top or bottom row..
Returning back to previous beta fixed it..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:31:18 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

ab

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
Definitely there's something wrong with voice handling on the latest beta.If i play too many pads fast, sounds won't get triggered.You can replicate it pretty easily.Just use both hands and play very fast the top or bottom row..

Almost the same, can't play 2 pads at the same time.

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »
definitely seeing some voice handling issues both with sounds cutting each other off when they shouldn't and with the filter not correctly filtering...I've run calibration a few times with no luck in fixing it. still also seeing the metronome down beat bug is still there as well.

Thom

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
1. In 16 beats mode, when switching to a new beat with any BtQuant value enabled other than '16th' or 'Off', the first note of beat is not heard.
(When BtQuant  is set to '16th' or 'Off' the first note appears to be heard ok.)

2. Scrolling through the Save/Load screen is slow and the display update glitchy.

3. When editing sound/beat name characters, screen update can take up to several seconds per character.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:53:11 PM by Thom »

Thom

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »
Scrolling through sound folders and files is slow/glitchy and can make the entire ui become unresponsive.

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

Oops. It appears that the last beta introduced the problem of not being able to play two sound pads at the same instant. Yorgos-- can you confirm that's the problem you're experiencing?

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
1. In 16 beats mode, when switching to a new beat with any BtQuant value enabled other than '16th' or 'Off', the first note of beat is not heard.
(When BtQuant  is set to '16th' or 'Off' the first note appears to be heard ok.)

2. Scrolling through the Save/Load screen is slow and the display update glitchy.

3. When editing sound/beat name characters, screen update can take up to several seconds per character.
Hi Thom. Regarding these 3 items:

1. I can't reproduce that here using any Beat Quantize value. Are you aware that play switches to the same position within the destination beat, not the start?

2. Yes, we're aware of that and are working on it. Thank you.

3. I tried using Edit Screen > Rename Sound, and I didn't notice any slowness. Can you help clarify?

« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
Yes Roger i can confirm it

Oops. It appears that the last beta introduced the problem of not being able to play two sound pads at the same instant. Yorgos-- can you confirm that's the problem you're experiencing?

Thom

« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2016, 11:12:40 PM »

Hi Thom. Regarding these 3 items:

1. I can't reproduce that here using any Beat Quantize value. Are you aware that play switches to the same position within the destination beat, not the start?

2. Yes, we're aware of that and are working on it. Thank you.

3. I tried using Edit Screen > Rename Sound, and I didn't notice any slowness. Can you help clarify?

Hi Roger,

I've reproduced 1 and 3 below, with hopefully more clarification.

1. Switching between beats while using BtQuant: End (to avoid starting the beat at a point other than the beginning) it appears that between some beats, the first 16th does not sound. So for example in my project, switching from beat 2 to 9 is fine, but switching from beat 10 to 9 consistently doesn't play sound on the first 16th of beat 9.

I've also tried switching between the beats while soloing the sound that should be playing the first 16th in beat 9 and soloing a sound in beat 10 that never plays (so beat 10 is silent) and its very clear the first 16th of beat 9 isn't sounding.

The problem also seems to occur when using other BeatQuant values.

3. When editing the name of a sound/beat/project while Saving it, screen update can take up to several seconds per character edit (clarification: this is in the Save/Load pages, not the Edit pages).

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »
Hi Roger,

I've reproduced 1 and 3 below, with hopefully more clarification.

1. Switching between beats while using BtQuant: End (to avoid starting the beat at a point other than the beginning) it appears that between some beats, the first 16th does not sound. So for example in my project, switching from beat 2 to 9 is fine, but switching from beat 10 to 9 consistently doesn't play sound on the first 16th of beat 9.

I've also tried switching between the beats while soloing the sound that should be playing the first 16th in beat 9 and soloing a sound in beat 10 that never plays (so beat 10 is silent) and its very clear the first 16th of beat 9 isn't sounding.

The problem also seems to occur when using other BeatQuant values.

3. When editing the name of a sound/beat/project while Saving it, screen update can take up to several seconds per character edit (clarification: this is in the Save/Load pages, not the Edit pages).
Hi Thom--

1) I was able to reproduce it here. It occurs when switching during play from a beat with more than 192 ticks to a beat with 192 or less. It occurs using any BtQuant value; if the transition to the new beat lands on a tick containing events, they don't play. Thank you for finding this.

2) We've already fixed the slow scroll of files within a folder. We'll release a new beta once we fix a few more things.

3) This problem was related to the slow scroll of files within a folder (#2) above. Fixing it fixed this also.