Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Stoss

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »
Some screen display related issues:

Mode/16 Beats:
Screen/Pads - Lower row of beats, when a beat pad is selected, the lowest row of pixels is not highlighted.

Mode/16 Sounds:
Screen/Pads - Lower row of sounds, when a sound pad is selected, the lowest row of pixels is not highlighted.

Mode/16 Mutes:
Screen/Mixer - When a pad is both selected and muted, the entire volume and pan graphics disappear.
Screen/Mixer - When a pad is muted, the horizontal line behind the pan marker disappears.
Screen/Mixer - GUI Feedback... This screen is very intuitive. A live sound is brightly lit. A muted sound is dimmed back.
Screen/Pads - GUI Feedback... This screen is not as intuitive and could benefit from functioning in a visually similar way to the Mixer screen. The names of the pads should be full brightness and full contrast when active. When muted, they should be dimmed back. For a good visual litmus test, mute a majority of the sounds and switch between the Pad screen and the Mixer screen. You'll see that the Mixer screen is more visually representative of your mute and active selections.

Stoss

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
I can also verify that there are problems with slider pressure. It seems to reach the max setting at about half pressure, then it goes off the charts in some other direction as you continue to add pressure. Was using Slider Pressure 2 on Sound FX with realtime slider behavior.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:54:51 AM by Stoss »

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
I can also verify that there are problems with slider pressure. It seems to reach the max setting at about half pressure, then it goes off the charts in some other direction as you continue to add pressure. Was using Slider Pressure 2 on Sound FX with realtime slider behavior.
Yes, we're aware of that bug with slider pressure. Thank you.

Stoss

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »
When in 16 Mutes mode there seems to be a slight inconsistency in behavior. I think it may be in relation to orienting most of the sound control parameters to control the entire beat, but a couple things struck me as odd.

On the Pads screen, you are still able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) but it is not reflected graphically on the display (this could be fixed if the display matched the style of the Mixer screen as I posted earlier). Also, It seems like it may still be of value on this screen to be able to use the "Mute", "Solo", and "Delay On" buttons, but they are inactive.

On the Mixer screen, things get a little thicker. You are able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) and it shows you that selected pad on the display, which is nice, but those same three "Mute", "Solo", and "Delay On" buttons are inactive, yet there is the ability to toggle the Mute and Solo features using the soft control knobs. Stranger yet, if you hit the "Delay On" button, it does not toggle the Delay feature of that sound, but it brings up the Delay related screen which gives you the ability to toggle the Delay feature using the soft control knob. It really seems to me that those 3 buttons which are just waiting to be used should be active on this screen. Further, when you imagine this scenario on this screen, it makes more sense to make it consistent and have it available on the "Pads" screen as well.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
Hello, today I updated to the new OS and something is not quite right. Something seems to be cutting off the low end of kik or sub sounds somewhat randomly. All of my sequences that I have listened to are problematic. I have no idea what happened. I tried to go back to the old OS and the problem still exists. I am at a total loss here. It does not make any sense to me at all. Anyone experience anything like this? Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do from here. I stupidly did not back up anything but it is still all there regardless, its just not working like it did before.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 04:30:02 AM »
Have you installed both main OS & voice OS?
Have you calibrated with all cabled unplugged?
Hello, today I updated to the new OS and something is not quite right. Something seems to be cutting off the low end of kik or sub sounds somewhat randomly. All of my sequences that I have listened to are problematic. I have no idea what happened. I tried to go back to the old OS and the problem still exists. I am at a total loss here. It does not make any sense to me at all. Anyone experience anything like this? Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do from here. I stupidly did not back up anything but it is still all there regardless, its just not working like it did before.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 06:40:42 AM »
Thanks for that Roger.  Another important note: last time I checked, the slide pressure doesn't work at all on sliders 2 to 4 if slider mode is set to real-time.  Works for all 4 if set to step though.  J :)
Hi soid--
What do you mean by "setting slider mode to real-time"? And you said the problem occurred the last time you checked; were you using this new beta version at that time?

Hi Roger, the sliders real-time setting is in the System menu, I'll double check which category when I get home but shouldn't be too tricky to locate it in there.  I'll get back to you on the other query shortly.  J :) 

KJF

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 07:46:07 AM »
Hello! :)

Found a couple of teeny things after installation and calibration:

1: For my projects that utilise the Play List function: In the 'Screens' section, if the 'Play List' and 'Events' buttons are highlighted and the track is in play mode, the soft knobs above the menu screen (Step/Beat/Bars/End) are no longer operable, whereas they are in the previous OS. If the track isn't playing, they still function normally- it's just in play mode that they don't wanna play ball any more.

2: My MIDI triggers now also fire a drum kick sound. (Apologies if this is just me being a doughnut and forgetting something simple here...) My 'MIDI Sequencer Sound' is set to Sound B1. Using the previous OS, the Tempest just triggers the associated sample on my Roland SP 404 SX. Lovely job. Using the updated OS, the Tempest triggers the sample fine too, but also plays one hit of a kick drum at the same time. This happens on every track with a MIDI trigger. I tested deleting the project and re-importing it, just in case it made a difference to load in tracks after installing the latest OS, but the same thing occurs.

Hope that makes sense! Still my favourite machine, no contest.

K xx

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »

Yes I did both. I did not run into any problems during the installation or calibration.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »

Yes I did both. I did not run into any problems during the installation or calibration.

I calibrated a second time with the older OS and now it seems to be back to normal. Thanks.

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »

1: For my projects that utilise the Play List function: In the 'Screens' section, if the 'Play List' and 'Events' buttons are highlighted and the track is in play mode, the soft knobs above the menu screen (Step/Beat/Bars/End) are no longer operable, whereas they are in the previous OS. If the track isn't playing, they still function normally- it's just in play mode that they don't wanna play ball any more.

2: My MIDI triggers now also fire a drum kick sound. (Apologies if this is just me being a doughnut and forgetting something simple here...) My 'MIDI Sequencer Sound' is set to Sound B1. Using the previous OS, the Tempest just triggers the associated sample on my Roland SP 404 SX. Lovely job. Using the updated OS, the Tempest triggers the sample fine too, but also plays one hit of a kick drum at the same time. This happens on every track with a MIDI trigger. I tested deleting the project and re-importing it, just in case it made a difference to load in tracks after installing the latest OS, but the same thing occurs.

K xx

Both are by design, if you read the release notes (wink).  Real-time editing of the 'Playlist' with the sequencer running was causing crashes: now disabled.  And the MIDI  Sequencer-out Sound was never supposed to mute the internal sound on its assigned pad: now fixed.  Simply turn off the oscillators for the sound on that pad if you only want to hear the external sound, or now you have the option of layering both if you so choose.

Cheers!

HT

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »
 +/- Octave text is missing.

Select a sound.
Select 16 Tunings.
Pad screen.

Press Roll and the  +/- Octave text isn't there although the soft knob 2 still changes Octaves.

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks for that Roger.  Another important note: last time I checked, the slide pressure doesn't work at all on sliders 2 to 4 if slider mode is set to real-time.  Works for all 4 if set to step though.  J :)
Hi soid--
What do you mean by "setting slider mode to real-time"? And you said the problem occurred the last time you checked; were you using this new beta version at that time?

Hi Roger,

Just to clarify, 'Sounds slider mode' is item 2 in the System > UI Preferences menu.  Using the settings under that menu item. you will see that the latest beta release still demonstrates that slider 2 to 4 pressure is not working in 'Realtime', but is working in 'step' (bipolar behaviour aside).

Hope this helps and looking forward to the next update!

Peace out to the Linn posse,

J :)

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 02:11:45 PM »
I just thought I lost another Project of edits. I believe that the first time I try to save a Project, the Save menu is defaulting to the Factory folder - regardless of where the Project has been loaded from.  I believe this is a side effect of alphabetizing the Folder options.

At any rate, I've loaded a Project from my Projects1 folder, made a new beat. Save the Project (only really noticing the Project name is the same), turned of the machine, came back to the Projects1/<my project> and loaded it - where's my stuff?!  Turns out I unknowingly wrote it to the Factory folder of Projects.  Writing it to the Factory folder should have required some conscious intervention on my part, but I think Tempest defaulted to Factory for me.

I just repeated the behavior:

1) Load a Project from Projects1 Folder
2) Play a beat
3) Save/Load -> Save Project
4) The menu defaults to saving the Project in the Factory folder.  It should not do this. It should default to the Folder from which the Project was loaded.

One could argue that Factory is a fine default, like MacOS defaulting to save everything to your Documents folder by default, but I think the best option is to offer to save the Project to the Folder from whence it came.
Hi Blewis--
I just tested that and you have found a bug: if you load a project from a folder other than "Factory" then save a Project, the Save Project screen will default to "Factory" instead of the last-saved or last-loaded Project folder as it should. Thank you for finding this and I have added it to our internal bug list. This should have been fixed as part of our fix for petition bug #8. Tempest does remember last-saved or loaded Sound and Beat folders, and remembers the last-saved Project folder, but we apparently missed remembering the last-loaded Project folder.

However, I'm sorry to report that if you turn power off and on, new saves will once again default to the Factory folder. The memory of the last-saved or last-loaded folder is lost when you turn power off.

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
Some screen display related issues:

Mode/16 Beats:
Screen/Pads - Lower row of beats, when a beat pad is selected, the lowest row of pixels is not highlighted.

Mode/16 Sounds:
Screen/Pads - Lower row of sounds, when a sound pad is selected, the lowest row of pixels is not highlighted.

Mode/16 Mutes:
Screen/Mixer - When a pad is both selected and muted, the entire volume and pan graphics disappear.
RL: Yes, that is intentional. I feel that it is a good way to indicate that the sound is muted.

Screen/Mixer - When a pad is muted, the horizontal line behind the pan marker disappears.
Screen/Mixer - GUI Feedback... This screen is very intuitive. A live sound is brightly lit. A muted sound is dimmed back.
Screen/Pads - GUI Feedback... This screen is not as intuitive and could benefit from functioning in a visually similar way to the Mixer screen. The names of the pads should be full brightness and full contrast when active. When muted, they should be dimmed back. For a good visual litmus test, mute a majority of the sounds and switch between the Pad screen and the Mixer screen. You'll see that the Mixer screen is more visually representative of your mute and active selections.
RL: You make a good point and I agree that it would be more consistent with other screen for the 16 Mutes/Pads screen to appear the same as the 16 Sounds/Pads screen when all 16 sounds are on, with the selected sound pad having the normal grey background. Then muting a sound pad would dim the text of the Sound Type. I'll add it to our list and thank you for your suggestion.
Hi Stoss--
Thank you for the feedback. The perfectionist in me would love to see every pixel in Tempest's screens be perfect, but given the many other priorities that Tempests owners want, the truth is that those other priorities will likely win out. I have inserted some responses above.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
I can't update until my next string of live shows are finished but can anyone confirm if the "Tempest starting one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes" bug has been fixed? This bug always got lumped in with the "drift" one on the petition / in discussion and thought Roger acknowledged it's existence (that's his quote), I haven't seen it listed as something that was fixed - or that it's even on the official list.

Thank you! I'm really excited at all the progress being made :)

https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »
When in 16 Mutes mode there seems to be a slight inconsistency in behavior. I think it may be in relation to orienting most of the sound control parameters to control the entire beat, but a couple things struck me as odd.

On the Pads screen, you are still able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) but it is not reflected graphically on the display (this could be fixed if the display matched the style of the Mixer screen as I posted earlier).
RL: I agree. This would be fixed by implementing the suggestion in your previous post regarding the 16 Mutes/Pads screen, which I have added to our internal bug list.

Also, It seems like it may still be of value on this screen to be able to use the "Mute", "Solo", and "Delay On" buttons, but they are inactive.
RL: I agree. I've added this to our list. Thank you.

On the Mixer screen, things get a little thicker. You are able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) and it shows you that selected pad on the display, which is nice, but those same three "Mute", "Solo", and "Delay On" buttons are inactive, yet there is the ability to toggle the Mute and Solo features using the soft control knobs. Stranger yet, if you hit the "Delay On" button, it does not toggle the Delay feature of that sound, but it brings up the Delay related screen which gives you the ability to toggle the Delay feature using the soft control knob. It really seems to me that those 3 buttons which are just waiting to be used should be active on this screen. Further, when you imagine this scenario on this screen, it makes more sense to make it consistent and have it available on the "Pads" screen as well.
RL: I agree. The Mute/Solo/Delay buttons should perform their functions in both the 16 Mutes/Pads and 16 Mutes/Mixer screen. I have added this to our bug list and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Hi Stoss--
Please see my comments above, and thank you for your suggestions.

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
I can't update until my next string of live shows are finished but can anyone confirm if the "Tempest starting one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes" bug has been fixed? This bug always got lumped in with the "drift" one on the petition / in discussion and thought Roger acknowledged it's existence (that's his quote), I haven't seen it listed as something that was fixed - or that it's even on the official list.

Thank you! I'm really excited at all the progress being made :)

Hi Trevor,

Start timing was still an issue when I tested this beta before its release.  It has been discussed though, and it is on the more comprehensive bug-list that we've compiled from the petition, DSI's internal documents, and any problems discovered during beta testing.  It's my understanding that it's a slightly more invasive fix, hence why it didn't make this first beta release; but as far as I know the intention is to fix it eventually if possible.  To that end, only Roger can really speak to this, so take that with a grain of salt as they say (grin).

At any rate, this beta is more than stable enough to play-out live with if you so choose.  In fact, I just finished a short tour with it myself.  In many ways, it's far more stable than OS 1.4.

Cheers!

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Hi soid--

Hi Roger, the sliders real-time setting is in the System menu, I'll double check which category when I get home but shouldn't be too tricky to locate it in there.  I'll get back to you on the other query shortly.  J :)
I was able to repeat it here. If System > UI Preferences > Sound Slider Mode = Realtime, only FX1 Slider is affected. FX2/3/4 sliders are always "Step" regardless of this parameter setting. I've added it to our list. Thank you.

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »

RL: Yes, that is how we fixed petition bug #12 "The Playlist crash bug..." We should have never permitted editing a playlist while it is playing because the required recalculation in the middle of a playlist is what caused the bug. This is explained in my post following DSI's post containing the download, in which I explain how each of the petition bugs was fixed or not fixed in version 1.4.0.15b.

RL: Yes, this was the requested fix for petition bug#3: "MIDI Sequencer Sound prevents the corresponding internal sound from triggering". To fix this, now when you set the System > MIDI Poly Keyboard Play screen so that MIDI Note messages are sent in response to playing sound pads live or from sequences, the pad's internal sound will no longer be disabled. However, you can manually mute the internal sound, so you can now have it both ways.

K xx
Hi KJF--
Please see my responses inserted in your post above.