Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #960 on: November 09, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
Sounds like you didn't create a new initialize beat file.  When the Tempest's drive is formatted, the initialize beat will default to having a time signature of 4/16 or something like that.  Just create a new init beat file with the time signature you prefer and you should have this problem again thereafter.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #961 on: November 09, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
Thank you Carson will give it a try...
So is it confirmed then that triggering pad A16 from a default state will result in misfiring of sounds unless a sound is specifically loaded to the pad?

Also, what about the issue I mentioned earlier where i was just using the filter exclusively to design a kick? Whilst repeatedly hitting the pad resulted in sound, when hitting record and click to capture a basic sequence I couldnt hear what I was playing.

Upon exiting record mode and turning off click, the recorded kick gradually became audible again on playback.  As if there was an LFO modulating the amplitude of the sequence at the start.

All OSCs were off, all modulation and FX off, everything off.. hmm.. 🤔

« Reply #962 on: November 10, 2017, 03:21:14 AM »
Are you saying that the metronome’s click is masking your kick or are you talking about inconsistency in your kick?You have to be as deatailed as possible..
Thank you Carson will give it a try...
So is it confirmed then that triggering pad A16 from a default state will result in misfiring of sounds unless a sound is specifically loaded to the pad?

Also, what about the issue I mentioned earlier where i was just using the filter exclusively to design a kick? Whilst repeatedly hitting the pad resulted in sound, when hitting record and click to capture a basic sequence I couldnt hear what I was playing.

Upon exiting record mode and turning off click, the recorded kick gradually became audible again on playback.  As if there was an LFO modulating the amplitude of the sequence at the start.

All OSCs were off, all modulation and FX off, everything off.. hmm.. 🤔

« Reply #963 on: November 10, 2017, 03:52:33 AM »
In short both.

Hitting the pad during sound design is far louder than when recording.
The volume of the click can be adjusted - nonetheless, this has never been an issue, even with the softest of sounds.

Even though I cannot hear it as I hit the pad during recording, as soon as I disengage from Recording and disengage the Click, the Kick sound starts to come in (slowly increases in volume and then sustains at the correct fixed velocity after 1 bar).

It is as if there is something modulating the velocity of the sequence itself in the beginning.

Also, following some great sound design advice from the Tempest Recipes, trying to replicate the Kick using just the filter doesn't work the way it's supposed to.  It's as though there is an LFO somewhere modulating the resonance - I've checked everything and as I am quite comfortable with synthesis, I cannot figure out why this is happening in the audio path.  Everything is off - FX - LFO's - triple checked feedback, envelopes , settings , etc etc...

Am getting a new one today so will see if it is down to insufficient user IQ or a faulty box.  Pain in the ass if I'm honest.

« Reply #964 on: November 10, 2017, 04:35:38 AM »
Got it!That’s a user error...Please Nik read everything in the FAQ thread and especially the section where i explain how to avoid inconsistency..Sound designing with the filter is an unstable state if you’re not assign that specific sound to a voice..Also onother thing i have to update the FAQ thread with is that the metronome steals a voice..But above all please...please read very carefully the FAQ thread and connect the dots to solve your problems..As for pain in the ass hahaha ;D ask all of us who are beta testing it for years!Marvel or DC must include us to their next superhero movie!Tempest is definitely a Love/Hate instrument!We felt both sides of the coin over here but lovin wins at the end ;)
In short both.

Hitting the pad during sound design is far louder than when recording.
The volume of the click can be adjusted - nonetheless, this has never been an issue, even with the softest of sounds.

Even though I cannot hear it as I hit the pad during recording, as soon as I disengage from Recording and disengage the Click, the Kick sound starts to come in (slowly increases in volume and then sustains at the correct fixed velocity after 1 bar).

It is as if there is something modulating the velocity of the sequence itself in the beginning.

Also, following some great sound design advice from the Tempest Recipes, trying to replicate the Kick using just the filter doesn't work the way it's supposed to.  It's as though there is an LFO somewhere modulating the resonance - I've checked everything and as I am quite comfortable with synthesis, I cannot figure out why this is happening in the audio path.  Everything is off - FX - LFO's - triple checked feedback, envelopes , settings , etc etc...

Am getting a new one today so will see if it is down to insufficient user IQ or a faulty box.  Pain in the ass if I'm honest.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:40:10 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #965 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
Got it!That’s a user error...Please Nik read everything in the FAQ thread and especially the section where i explain how to avoid inconsistency..Sound designing with the filter is an unstable state if you’re not assign that specific sound to a voice..Also onother thing i have to update the FAQ thread with is that the metronome steals a voice..But above all please...please read very carefully the FAQ thread and connect the dots to solve your problems..As for pain in the ass hahaha ;D ask all of us who are beta testing it for years!Marvel or DC must include us to their next superhero movie!Tempest is definitely a Love/Hate instrument!We felt both sides of the coin over here but lovin wins at the end ;)

Thanks for clarifying YA.. Fyi, I have my new one and we also tried it in the shop:

1.  A16 pad is not user error, it is defacto a bug.  Not a big deal as it's a simple fix but for those that pick one up, don't bang your head against the wall thinking you are doing something wrong.  As has been advised, the workaround is to simply load the sound (or a sound of choice) to it. 

2.  Indeed recording a sequence has a default whack BPM and time signature - you must initialise beat, define the time signature and bar length etc and save as the default state.

3.  The metronome steals the voice - good to know, this needs updating and should be documented no doubt.

4.  With regards to filter - that will probably solve it YA, thank you for clarifying it needs to be assigned to a voice.  Will try and revert. 

I'm back in business boys - what an awesome machine.   :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:41:53 AM by nikarga »

« Reply #966 on: December 01, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
Hi!

I just downloaded the newest OS after playing around with my Tempest for a few hours working on a new project. My Tempest is just under 2 years old.

So after installing the OS I've noticed a few sounds don't play right, like there's an LFO on them which isn't there. EG the kick like every few ones it sounds totally broken, other notes change in pitch etc.  I don't think this is an issue on the other projects as far as I can tell, but maybe it is. This isn't too much of a problem I suppose (but would be nice for a quick fix)

However, I've also noticed that the red LED on the 16 Beats mode flicker a bit, and has now permanently disappeared. I'm wondering if there are issues here, and what to do about it. I've tried recalibrating, formatting drives, re-updating OS several times (when I do it, the FX1 LED's don't go all the way to the top and the bottom one is missing), and I've re-updated them at different speeds over SysEx also.

Please hope you can help, was all good before I updated :(

Thanks

Andrew

RobH

« Reply #967 on: December 01, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
Hi!

I just downloaded the newest OS after playing around with my Tempest for a few hours working on a new project. My Tempest is just under 2 years old.

So after installing the OS I've noticed a few sounds don't play right, like there's an LFO on them which isn't there. EG the kick like every few ones it sounds totally broken, other notes change in pitch etc.  I don't think this is an issue on the other projects as far as I can tell, but maybe it is. This isn't too much of a problem I suppose (but would be nice for a quick fix)

However, I've also noticed that the red LED on the 16 Beats mode flicker a bit, and has now permanently disappeared. I'm wondering if there are issues here, and what to do about it. I've tried recalibrating, formatting drives, re-updating OS several times (when I do it, the FX1 LED's don't go all the way to the top and the bottom one is missing), and I've re-updated them at different speeds over SysEx also.

Thanks

Andrew

Did you make sure all the other firmware is updated Voice OS is also 1.5 etc if its not been upgraded it should be. Download C6 software from Elektron and try uploading the new OS with that its lot better software and can work where other programs fail.

Make sure you calibrate your voices and pads and reset parameters after you update (which sounds like you are but just being thorough).

The lights don't go up to the top like it says on my machine when i update, just make sure they've stopped thats actually usual and nothing to worry about.

C6 is a lot better software though i would try that out its very easy to use and does the job. If you keep having trouble let use know and we can problem solve from there.

Stoss

« Reply #968 on: December 02, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
Hi!

Thanks

Andrew

Contact DSI customer support. Carson is great and will take care of you. The LED is most likely a hardware issue that they can help with.

« Reply #969 on: December 02, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »
Hi!

Thanks

Andrew

Did you make sure all the other firmware is updated Voice OS is also 1.5 etc if its not been upgraded it should be. Download C6 software from Elektron and try uploading the new OS with that its lot better software and can work where other programs fail.

Make sure you calibrate your voices and pads and reset parameters after you update (which sounds like you are but just being thorough).

The lights don't go up to the top like it says on my machine when i update, just make sure they've stopped thats actually usual and nothing to worry about.

C6 is a lot better software though i would try that out its very easy to use and does the job. If you keep having trouble let use know and we can problem solve from there.

Hi

Yeah I tried all these things, not tried uploading with the Elektron software. I think could likely be a hardware issue as mentioned, I've put in a request via the website hopefully they can help, the machine is just under 2 years old and I'm in the UK. Thanks for the reply.

RobH

« Reply #970 on: December 03, 2017, 04:12:24 AM »
Try the elektron software. Its worked for a good few people i've reccomended it to. Its free, its simple and easy, its worth a try.

« Reply #971 on: January 20, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
Came across a bug today, not sure if it's been documented.

Pad to note mode "beats"
Clock mode "slave / midi"
Midi cable to "midi in" only (to verify a midi loop is not causing this)

When Tempest receives transport / clock from another sequencer, and pads are in either sound or transpose mode with "roll" engaged, playing a pad/note with roll gets that note stuck on at whatever speed the roll is at. For instance if "roll" is set to 1/16ths, after playing the pad a few times, the note suddenly gets stuck on and plays every 16 note.

Disconnecting the midi cable stops the stuck note, as does toggling "mute" of that pad on and off. 
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

« Reply #972 on: January 21, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »

Pad to note mode "beats"

When Tempest receives transport / clock from another sequencer, and pads are in either sound or transpose mode with "roll" engaged, playing a pad/note with roll gets that note stuck on at whatever speed the roll is at. For instance if "roll" is set to 1/16ths, after playing the pad a few times, the note suddenly gets stuck on and plays every 16 note.

Disconnecting the midi cable stops the stuck note, as does toggling "mute" of that pad on and off.

This bug got weirder the further I chased it - the undo record button would stay lit, but not erase notes after I pressed it and the screen wouls say "nothing to undo". I also discovered that the bug only happens when there's recorded notes in the sequencer that havn't been saved.

BUT: saving my beat as a new name and reloading it into the project seems to have fixed it!! I'm thinking that maybe that particular beat was created on a beta OS and there were some gremlins left in it or something? Anyways, posting this in case it helps someone else :)

« Reply #973 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
This bug came back, so the "saving to a new beat" trick didn't hold. I've got a ticket open, but if anyone's curious to try themselves:

- Pad to note mode: "beat", sending a midi note message on channel 10 (in my case) on first note of bar 1.

-When the Tempest sequencer runs through this beat and you have roll engaged on an individual sound, that note will get stuck if you're playing it when the beat resets and the "beat" midi note is (re)triggered.

Pad to note mode "beats"

This bug got weirder the further I chased it - the undo record button would stay lit, but not erase notes after I pressed it and the screen wouls say "nothing to undo". I also discovered that the bug only happens when there's recorded notes in the sequencer that havn't been saved.

BUT: saving my beat as a new name and reloading it into the project seems to have fixed it!! I'm thinking that maybe that particular beat was created on a beta OS and there were some gremlins left in it or something? Anyways, posting this in case it helps someone else :)

RobH

« Reply #974 on: February 16, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
This bug came back, so the "saving to a new beat" trick didn't hold. I've got a ticket open, but if anyone's curious to try themselves:

- Pad to note mode: "beat", sending a midi note message on channel 10 (in my case) on first note of bar 1.

-When the Tempest sequencer runs through this beat and you have roll engaged on an individual sound, that note will get stuck if you're playing it when the beat resets and the "beat" midi note is (re)triggered.

Pad to note mode "beats"

I can't recall exactly, but make sure that you don't have any notes at the end of the sequencer that roll over into the start of the sequence, i.e. that would be longer than the loop and would go over the note in the first step (and the note off doesn't play as the midi is then onto the new note), as i remember something like this happening to me before and I think that was the problem and it confuses the sequencer and the note gets held, i cannot remember exactly as i say but maybe something to look into, Carson will probably remember more.

« Reply #975 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »

I can't recall exactly, but make sure that you don't have any notes at the end of the sequencer that roll over into the start of the sequence, i.e. that would be longer than the loop and would go over the note in the first step (and the note off doesn't play as the midi is then onto the new note), as i remember something like this happening to me before and I think that was the problem and it confuses the sequencer and the note gets held, i cannot remember exactly as i say but maybe something to look into, Carson will probably remember more.

There were no pre - recorded notes getting stuck, only the new ones I performed or recorded with "roll" engaged. These new notes would get stuck almost immediately after being recorded or played. The record undo button wouldn't work for the sequence recorded with the roll engaged either, so I imagine this bug is one of those nasty ones that's connected by a bunch of little threads in the back end. Anyways, I quickly reverted my workflow back to one that doesn't involve "pads to notes = beats", but it's definitely a concern in terms of expected behavior.

RobH

« Reply #976 on: February 18, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »

There were no pre - recorded notes getting stuck, only the new ones I performed or recorded with "roll" engaged. These new notes would get stuck almost immediately after being recorded or played. The record undo button wouldn't work for the sequence recorded with the roll engaged either, so I imagine this bug is one of those nasty ones that's connected by a bunch of little threads in the back end. Anyways, I quickly reverted my workflow back to one that doesn't involve "pads to notes = beats", but it's definitely a concern in terms of expected behavior.

Gotya. Does seem odd behaviour. Glad you have a kind of workaround!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #977 on: March 25, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »
Minor bug:
When recording a playlist live the Tempest freezes. This may have been reported earlier.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
New owner, same bug as the owner above me in this thread:

When trying to record play list live from the 16 beats my unit freezes.

Did anyone find a workaround for this?

« Reply #979 on: May 10, 2018, 02:51:50 PM »
I have a modest request, these improvements will not require more performance from hardware:

1. Select sound for editing in MUTE mode (shift + PAD)

2. CUSTOM LENGTH of pattern for each PAD (sound), f/ex kick = 1 bar and bass 1/2 bar (kik 4 beats, bass 3 beats and etc) + random direction for playing,
its very important function for polyrhythmic  seqs, for endless generative seqs

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:55:41 PM by nayky »