Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Re: Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #940 on: October 12, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »
Also it could be something with Reaper as long as there’s software involved in there...

RobH

« Reply #941 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:57 PM »
Also it could be something with Reaper as long as there’s software involved in there...

Actually you were right, when rendering after the song has rendered but before i close down the render options box that comes up in Reaper it is freezing out my Tempest, however once i've closed down those boxes the Tempest then becomes unstuck, i'll have to test it a few more times to make sure the Tempest does totally unfreeze but as i stands it seems that the Tempest is frozen on the last beat of the render until such time as you press play on Reaper again and it suddenly just pops back into action. Not 100% sure why it totally freezes one out John or Yorgoz i'm guessing would know more.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #942 on: October 12, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
I surmise that Reaper is likely stopping transmission of MIDI clock which would cause the Tempest to halt playback.  You can check this by monitoring the MIDI stream being sent to the Tempest while the render is occurring.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #943 on: October 12, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »
I surmise that Reaper is likely stopping transmission of MIDI clock which would cause the Tempest to halt playback.  You can check this by monitoring the MIDI stream being sent to the Tempest while the render is occurring.

Thanks, your right thanks for dropping in, i only mentioned it to begin because it appeared to be a full freeze i hadn't initally realised the last time it happened that i was mid render etc, or i might have closed the box but not pressed play again before resseting my Tempest to unlock it by sending it more midi to jump it back into action.

RobH

« Reply #944 on: October 20, 2017, 06:42:13 AM »
Ok

So i've had another freeze. Whilst changing beats slaved to  Reaper, not rendering just during normal playback.

I was changing beats and decided that it was the wrong beat i wanted and quickly pressed the beat i was previously on going from Beat 13 to Beat 5 then pressed 13 again the Tempest froze out at 4.4.96 and didn't manage to play Beat 13 as the light is still on Beat 5.

I've tried stopping and starting Reaper, resetting midi but the Tempest hasn't unlocked. Totally unreponsive.

edit - I have managed to reproduce this by stopping and starting Reaper over and over and spamming Beat changes.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:49:53 AM by RobH »

« Reply #945 on: November 08, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
Guys, new here.. bought a Tempest last week and I have a couple of noob questions which are worrying me as I've read about the bugs of the systems OS over the years and the sometimes volatile nature.  It is probably my ignorance so please forgive me if these are basic issues that are covered somewhere.  For reference I am running the latest OS's and they have installed correctly:

1.  When trying to load factory project “Spud & Stump” or “Straight & Tight Kicks” which in the factory default folder, i get the error: “Error 9: Failed to read beat version. File System Error5: Not Found”

Not sure why it is not loading? I have re-installed the firmware a few times.  1.6MB of free memory too... These are default project that shipped with my Tempest.

2.  For some reason, when inititializing beat and hitting the various pads to listen to the sounds using the default kit, pad A16 plays whichever sound the pad immediately before it triggered.  Huh??  So if i hit A4 which defaults to a kick, A16 will play that sound if I hit the pad.  Hit A12, then hitting A16 triggers the A12 sound etc etc..

To make it more confusing:  If i record a sequence using the other pads which trigger properly.. and then stop playback and/or record and hit pad A16 repeatedly, A16 triggers random pads... W T F ???

3.  I start a new project that auto defaults to 16 beats labeled 1-16.  I select 1 of the beats (they are all empty anyway).  If I attempt to start recording and don't init the beat, then the click/metronome is going at a crazy high speed, multiples of the 120 default BPM.. Any thoughts there?

Need to figure this out because I have to take it back to the dealer tomorrow.  I only have a week grace period to try the unit and that expires tomorrow.

Niko
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:34:20 PM by nikarga »

« Reply #946 on: November 08, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »
I know you reloaded the OS a few times, i'm assuming it was the latest as found here:
https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html

To me it's leaning towards a bug or defect in the unit you have. If you can see if they'll allow you to exchange it or contact DSI.

Just a thought try resetting ir, reloading all of the factory defaults and projects, which can be found here:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/tempest-factory-sounds/
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #947 on: November 09, 2017, 12:21:17 AM »
Indeed I have tried re-installing a few times and have reset the unit parameters too.  I am quite weary of the unit.  Although it sounds ok I've since discovered another bug when trying to create a KICK via use of the filter only.

All OSCs off.  Close filter, turn up resonance to 90 and slowly open filter cutoff to c. 40.  Adjust filter envelope to liking by cranking up the Amount to say 12 and similarly adjust the decay slightly..

Now every time i hit the pad I hear my simple kick as designed.  However, during recording, the sound almost cant be heard. 

Specifically:  I turn on the click.. then, with a 1 bar count in I try to record a 4/4 two bar beat triggering my newly designed kick.  Once I start to hit the pad, I cant hear anything until I disengage record mode and turn the click off... Magically, as the sequence loops from the start, the sound slowly starts to drift in - almost as if there is an LFO modulating the amplitude of the sequence I just recorded.

I have checked and all modulation routings are off, the beats and sounds were intialised beforehand and all OSCs are off.. Everything that shouldn't be on, isn't on... FX etc etc.. There is clearly something wrong here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:22:56 AM by nikarga »

« Reply #948 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:12 AM »
First of all we need the OS,voice,Sam etc. you have installed in your T..Also as suggested above you could format T,install the latest OS/Voice,reset system parameters and calibrate everything with all cables unplugged...With a clean system you can tell if there’s a problem with your unit
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:24:26 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #949 on: November 09, 2017, 05:04:07 AM »
First of all we need the OS,voice,Sam etc. you have installed in your T..Also as suggested above you could format T,install the latest OS/Voice,reset system parameters and calibrate everything with all cables unplugged...With a clean system you can tell if there’s a problem with your unit

I am running the very latest versions of all 4 operating systems as found in the support section of the T.. ie. 1.5.0.2 + 1.5 + 1.3 + 1.1...

I have reset the unit, re-installed the firmware and calibrated everything.  Issues persist... I think I may just have a faulty unit.   :(

« Reply #950 on: November 09, 2017, 05:08:09 AM »

I am running the very latest versions of all 4 operating systems as found in the support section of the T.. ie. 1.5.0.2 + 1.5 + 1.3 + 1.1...

I have reset the unit, re-installed the firmware and calibrated everything.  Issues persist... I think I may just have a faulty unit.   :(
How are you connecting your Tempest. What outputs are you using?

« Reply #951 on: November 09, 2017, 05:12:06 AM »
Have you tried formatting T?

« Reply #952 on: November 09, 2017, 06:07:49 AM »
No sir.. not tried a complete format... I did notice that in system actions, resetting system parameters does not actually return the Tempest to its default nature because my Test Project which I had saved is still on there...

Also pls forgive me if I am completely wrong, but there is nothing in the manual that i have seen that discusses a format and how to re-install everything?

Tempest is connected via master outs.  Midi input connected to a Midi Output on my Cirklon which just sends clock.  The problems persist whether slaved or not - yesterday I had it in my bed with headphones (wife wasn't too happy)... lol

« Reply #953 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »
As sent to me from Carson:

"How to reload the voice OS, format the flash drives, re-upload the factory project files, and create a new initialize sound and beat settings.

To format the flash drive, hold both SHIFT buttons and press the SYSTEM button to enter the debug menu. Navigate to the FORMAT FLASH DRIVE menu item and select it. Follow the on screen instructions to format the drive.

Next, reload the latest voice OS files to the Tempest. You will find detailed instructions for updating your OS via Mac or PC on the website:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-tempest-os/

Once the voice OS has been reloaded, please reload the factory sound bank files to the synth. The process to load the factory files is easy. You will find full instructions for loading sound bank files for all our synths via Mac or PC, including factory sound bank files, at the following link:

https://davesmithinstruments.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201389910-Loading-Factory-Sounds-Over-MIDI

Next, restart the Tempest and initialize the currently loaded beat. Be sure to set the time signature and bar number to your preferred settings. Select a sound and set it to your preferred initialized settings. Copy the sound to every sound location in the currently loaded beat.

Enter the debug menu and select the SAVE NEW INIT SOUND TEMPLATE menu item. Follow the on screen instructions to set the template.

Enter the debug menu again and select the SAVE NEW INIT BEAT TEMPLATE menu item. Follow the on screen instructions to set the template.

Once the above steps have been performed, please reset your SYSTEM parameters and then check whether you continue to encounter problems".

« Reply #954 on: November 09, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
This is very much appreciated, thank you. 
So when you format the flash drives, the main system OS is untouched therefore only need to reload the Voice OS and the Factory sound files correct?

This should have been in the manual or some addendum.

Regardless, will follow these instruction and see if this solves the issues.

Thanks again!

« Reply #955 on: November 09, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
Ok so I reformatted everything...

followed the instructions above and initialised beat.
Going into the default sounds of the initialised beat... I hit pad A12 which on the screen says Kick but its actually OSC3 preset 126:  Ghost of a Snare... I proceed and hit pad A16.. guess what it triggers?  Ghost of a Snare too.  Same issue.  What is weird is that looking in the Sound menu of pad A16, its showing sample Pink Noise but it actually plays whatever pad was hit last.

There is definitely something wrong here.

« Reply #956 on: November 09, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
Grunes beat me on time but really i can’t recommend it enough for new users to visit our FAQ sticky thread..Many tips inside there where you can’t find it elsewhere..A whole lot of loving and knowledge that’s why all these exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html
This is very much appreciated, thank you. 
So when you format the flash drives, the main system OS is untouched therefore only need to reload the Voice OS and the Factory sound files correct?

This should have been in the manual or some addendum.

Regardless, will follow these instruction and see if this solves the issues.

Thanks again!

« Reply #957 on: November 09, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »
I suggest you should contact support...They’re very helpful!
Ok so I reformatted everything...

followed the instructions above and initialised beat.
Going into the default sounds of the initialised beat... I hit pad A12 which on the screen says Kick but its actually OSC3 preset 126:  Ghost of a Snare... I proceed and hit pad A16.. guess what it triggers?  Ghost of a Snare too.  Same issue.  What is weird is that looking in the Sound menu of pad A16, its showing sample Pink Noise but it actually plays whatever pad was hit last.

There is definitely something wrong here.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #958 on: November 09, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »
Just load a sound to A16 and this behavior will cease to occur.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #959 on: November 09, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
Just load a sound to A16 and this behavior will cease to occur.

sure - I think that works as a workaround, not an issue - just not the point - thought I was going crazy.

also, I've noticed that if you select an empty beat but dont initialise it before you attempt to record, the BPM and click track go a bit mental (faster).  In any case, that - along with the filter issue with all mods off, and the fact that a cpl of projects do not load and are giving me errors means the unit is going back to the dealer tomorrow and I will exchange for a new unit..

I'm really diggin the workflow..