Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

BRE

Re: Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #900 on: September 01, 2017, 12:00:34 PM »
I've got the same thing going on.

Sorry to hear that man. I'm suprised no one else has had this issue. I updated from 1.4 official to 1.5 official- no beta builds in between. What about you?
addicted

RobH

« Reply #901 on: September 01, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
Yes i have that problem too, they managed to solve the lag where you can load a sound without entering that menu, but now the lag is in the menu folder itself, they changed some code that meant the sounds were no longer sorted alphabetically i'm going to guess this had some impact on the load folder, the lag is pretty bad, i must admit.

BRE

« Reply #902 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
Yes i have that problem too, they managed to solve the lag where you can load a sound without entering that menu, but now the lag is in the menu folder itself, they changed some code that meant the sounds were no longer sorted alphabetically i'm going to guess this had some impact on the load folder, the lag is pretty bad, i must admit.

Yeah, it's annoying and makes the screen seem like it's in the pre-beta stage. I've had the OLED replaced but other than that, it runs pretty solid. This load folder lag and the slider bugs need to be fixed. I hope someone from DSI is watching this thread. Do we need another petition? :-\
addicted

« Reply #903 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
Guys, the lag in the screen refresh has been there for well over a year now - since Main OS 1.4.0.15b to be exact (that was 19 betas ago!) - and it was the small price we paid for having the file management system improved, including the alphabetization of the file folders, etc.

At any rate, there is nothing wrong with your Tempests, nor does this anomaly pose any operational concerns.  Just scroll a little slower - and if you're in that much of a rush that you can't scroll slower, maybe switch to decaf (smirk).

The slider pressure issue, on the other hand - yes, that really ought to be fixed.

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #904 on: September 01, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »
a little Vaseline on the sliders...smooth!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

BRE

« Reply #905 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
Guys, the lag in the screen refresh has been there for well over a year now - since Main OS 1.4.0.15b to be exact (that was 19 betas ago!) - and it was the small price we paid for having the file management system improved, including the alphabetization of the file folders, etc.

At any rate, there is nothing wrong with your Tempests, nor does this anomaly pose any operational concerns.  Just scroll a little slower - and if you're in that much of a rush that you can't scroll slower, maybe switch to decaf (smirk).

The slider pressure issue, on the other hand - yes, that really ought to be fixed.

Cheers!

It looks like it's a pre- beta bug, like a sneak peak at MESSE, before the product release in 6 months. Well, out of the 19 betas, can anyone point me to the one that doesn't have the graphic lag? I could care less about the alphabetization of folders. I would much rather have a tight redraw on my screen. As I had mentioned, i went from 1.4 official to 1.5. Which beta is available that doesn't have the folder change? Before the change I was easily able to pick and choose the sounds i wanted and shape them the way I wanted. Whose idea was it and why in hell would DSI agree to it when it results in an awful screen lag? New buyers are not gonna be happy with it guaranteed.
addicted

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #906 on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
Stay at 1.4 then...the other betas had different issues...what can we say? Or go through the update log and pick your fav. I am not trying to be snarky but the added functionality far outweighs the graphics glitch. They have maxed out the code and I cool with that.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

BRE

« Reply #907 on: September 01, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
Stay at 1.4 then...the other betas had different issues...what can we say? Or go through the update log and pick your fav. I am not trying to be snarky but the added functionality far outweighs the graphics glitch. They have maxed out the code and I cool with that.

No worries. All 19 betas are available for download?
addicted

« Reply #908 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:38 AM »
I could care less about the alphabetization of folders. I would much rather have a tight redraw on my screen. As I had mentioned, i went from 1.4 official to 1.5. Which beta is available that doesn't have the folder change? Before the change I was easily able to pick and choose the sounds i wanted and shape them the way I wanted. Whose idea was it and why in hell would DSI agree to it when it results in an awful screen lag? New buyers are not gonna be happy with it guaranteed.

Hey, if you'd prefer a "tight redraw" on your screen over the 80 some odd critical bugs that have been fixed since 1.4, then you're welcome to stay on 1.4.  The screen lag was introduced in the first two betas after that, so that's about your only option I'm afraid.  It was nobody's "idea", and nobody "agreed" to it.  The processor is simply taxed to the hilt, and many tough decisions have had to be made along the way.

I have to admit, it's been a while since I bothered to take note of this issue, so I fired up my Tempest just now... Does the screen lag a bit?  Yes.  But only if I try to scroll through the file folders faster than I can read them.  If I go folder by folder at a comprehensible rate, there's no lag whatsoever.  And within the sound folders themselves, I can scroll even faster without any lag - much faster than would otherwise be intelligible.

Do I like it?  No.  Would I prefer it be fixed?  Sure.  Would I trade features, general stability, and better file management for this purely cosmetic anomaly that only happens when navigating a screen (that seldom needs visited) faster than I can read?  No.  But take your pick.  1.4 is yours to be had (wink).

Cheers!

RobH

« Reply #909 on: September 02, 2017, 04:27:37 AM »
I could care less about the alphabetization of folders. I would much rather have a tight redraw on my screen. As I had mentioned, i went from 1.4 official to 1.5. Which beta is available that doesn't have the folder change? Before the change I was easily able to pick and choose the sounds i wanted and shape them the way I wanted. Whose idea was it and why in hell would DSI agree to it when it results in an awful screen lag? New buyers are not gonna be happy with it guaranteed.

Hey, if you'd prefer a "tight redraw" on your screen over the 80 some odd critical bugs that have been fixed since 1.4, then you're welcome to stay on 1.4.  The screen lag was introduced in the first two betas after that, so that's about your only option I'm afraid.  It was nobody's "idea", and nobody "agreed" to it.  The processor is simply taxed to the hilt, and many tough decisions have had to be made along the way.

I have to admit, it's been a while since I bothered to take note of this issue, so I fired up my Tempest just now... Does the screen lag a bit?  Yes.  But only if I try to scroll through the file folders faster than I can read them.  If I go folder by folder at a comprehensible rate, there's no lag whatsoever.  And within the sound folders themselves, I can scroll even faster without any lag - much faster than would otherwise be intelligible.

Do I like it?  No.  Would I prefer it be fixed?  Sure.  Would I trade features, general stability, and better file management for this purely cosmetic anomaly that only happens when navigating a screen (that seldom needs visited) faster than I can read?  No.  But take your pick.  1.4 is yours to be had (wink).

Cheers!

I kind of have to +1 this xd

« Reply #910 on: September 02, 2017, 05:50:18 AM »
Nah..I'm totally staying with 1.5.0.2!I kinda got used to it after so many betas..And as John said ^ critical bugs matter the most..

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #911 on: September 06, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
Today while building a song I noticed that if I am in beats mode and I turn the dedicated high pass filter knob completely left then completely right then back to centre the filter actually doesn't sound centred. I have to either use the soft knob by moving the dial a bit left or right then zero or press reset. I don't recall this being an issue before. Is this expected behaviour?
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #912 on: September 07, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »
It was always like this...I thinks it was in John's The Savage list
Today while building a song I noticed that if I am in beats mode and I turn the dedicated high pass filter knob completely left then completely right then back to centre the filter actually doesn't sound centred. I have to either use the soft knob by moving the dial a bit left or right then zero or press reset. I don't recall this being an issue before. Is this expected behaviour?

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #913 on: September 07, 2017, 07:38:43 AM »
Ah. Funny how I never used the function before but it turns out to be an awesome feature on a drop;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Pym

« Reply #914 on: September 07, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
This is expected behavior

The problem is you have two ways of doing a macro knob that is aligned to a param across multiple sounds...

1. Use the 12 o'clock position to be 'default'
2. Vary the default based on the params

The problem with #1 is that while it works in some cases, if all the params are at extreme settings (let's say all of them are at 0 or 127) you end up with only half the knob movement doing something across the sounds. Eg., if it's at 0, only turning the knob up makes any difference... turning it down does nothing since it's already at 0.

If I use #2, the 'default' position becomes 0 because all the params are at 0 to begin with (it takes an average of everything to determine the default position). Then the FULL range of the knob is useful when you tweak it live. This makes for a much more intuitive and musical response while moving the knob, even though it means going back to default is a bit difficult. This is why we added the undo function... hold undo and move a knob and it goes back to default immediately

And yes, this means I may start posting a little bit more now assuming the community stays cordial

Sequential

« Reply #915 on: September 07, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
We're with you Chris!Good to have you back onboard :)

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #916 on: September 07, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
The legend returns! Glad to have you back. Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #917 on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
It was always like this...I thinks it was in John's The Savage list

The knobs have definitely always behaved this way when using them for beat-wide FX, but it was never on my list.  I did campaign for a "relative mode" on the knobs at the 'Sounds' level, and a 'SHIFT' function that would allow us to move the knobs at the 'Beats' level without activating the parameters, such that one could set up proper transitions.  The hyperesthesia of the knobs (if that's a thing) was also an issue for years; but if I recall correctly, Chris did improve that, and I haven't really had an issue with it in recent history (except maybe last night, ironically, where I did have the resonance jump without provocation, but whatever).

Anyway, I'm clearly still in bed asleep, onstage without my pants on, in need of being pinched, because I swear Chris Hector just posted something... (smirk).

Cheers!

dsetto

« Reply #918 on: September 07, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »
Please, let this be an enlightened place where users and makers can evolve around this wonderful instrument.

dsetto

« Reply #919 on: September 07, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »
And, John, it's great to see you back. You've got an encyclopedic knowledge of this instrument's actual functions.