Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

RobH

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.11 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #760 on: June 07, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
No I've just lost a voice, playing only one kickdrum using samples assigned to V6 i was just playing it for ages and then all of a sudden its dropped randomly, nothing i can say i was doing other than tweaking the filter and volumes, its just dropped, i changed the voice allocation and the drum returned, but everytime i assign it to voice 6 the voice is removed totally. This was on a voice that had been intialized. Repower put the voice back it hasn't dropped again as yet.

edit - Also my voices are becoming quite distinctly different, some are a lot more bassy and its like there is two distinct types either the bassy type or not when i calibrate the voices can have one or the other tone. (I know i'm going to get analog as the reason here but it seems a little more than that my end its like two of the voices will be identical and more bassy and the other four will be identical). It seems odd to me that two of the voices will be identical and the other four then idenctical also.

I'm recalibrating again to see waht happens.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:37:38 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #761 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Recalibrated now voices 2 - 6 are not working.

Recalibrated again voices returned, again 2 of my voices have a more bassy tone so im beggining to think that 2 of my voices have a slightly different filter tone and thats the reason everytime i get 2 voices that sounds a little bassier. Analog. lol

edit - I've just lost voice 5. Totally gone.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:01:41 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #762 on: June 07, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
This is the project i'm woking on, im only really been using sounds on pads 5, 10, 11 and 12 the rest muted and voices are dropping out after some minutes of playing and tweaking.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #763 on: June 07, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
Just loaded your project.  The kick sound on pad 5 will not play if it is set to choke itself and it is assigned to a voice. Please be sure to disable any pads from choking themselves if the sound is assigned to a voice.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #764 on: June 07, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »
Regarding the issue you noted with certain voices sounding off following calibration, do you have any audio cables plugged into the individual voice outputs when you were calibrating?  If so, please disconnect all audio connectivity from the rear of the Tempest and Calibrate again. 
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #765 on: June 07, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Just loaded your project.  The kick sound on pad 5 will not play if it is set to choke itself and it is assigned to a voice. Please be sure to disable any pads from choking themselves if the sound is assigned to a voice.

Carson, i saved the file after the voice dropout happened so that all the parameters were the same, voice 5 was the one that dropped and it was just left that way (being assigned to the kick), i had checked mutiple pads and sounds on voice 5 making sure that the one i was using was the only one assigned to voice 5 at that time and no pad or sound would make any noise once voice 5 had dropped, previous to that it was voice 6 and i went through the same process to double check it wasn't my setting and the voice had in fact dropped.

edit - Also i think i had been messing with the pre/post pots just before the voice dropped on one occasion i'll see if it drops again and if i had being making similar tweaks (self note)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:10:57 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #766 on: June 07, 2017, 02:06:15 PM »
Regarding the issue you noted with certain voices sounding off following calibration, do you have any audio cables plugged into the individual voice outputs when you were calibrating?  If so, please disconnect all audio connectivity from the rear of the Tempest and Calibrate again.

No this was not the case. All voices 2 through 6 were totally silent after the calibration. I did not reboot though maybe i should have, i just recalibrated and the voices were brought back.

I only have 2 mono cables anyway even if i in error placed on into the voices it still would not explain why 5 of the 6 voices were not present as i don't physically have enough cables to do that. I did check as well to see if i had made that mistake and that wasn't the case.

idm

« Reply #767 on: June 07, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
You indeed need to restart after calibration.

Maybe also try to reinstall the latest OS? Just to rule that out.

RobH

« Reply #768 on: June 07, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
You indeed need to restart after calibration.

Maybe also try to reinstall the latest OS? Just to rule that out.

I had restarted, i meant i hadn't restarted twice.

I've got voice 5 dropping out again. Voice 2 has also dropped this time. It seems to be when i am assigning voices and i assign two pads momentarily to the same voice one does not return.

I have no chokes or sync'd lfos assigned, i have no voices assigned at all, if i assign any pad to voices 2 or 5 they are not there, I do not have any cables plugged into anything other than Main L+R.

Carson, would you like me to reintall the latest OS and try again? Whats the best course of action here?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:19:02 PM by RobH »

« Reply #769 on: June 07, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
@RobH
The procedure of calibration is very specific...Unplug all cables...And i mean aaallll cables..Only power left plugged...If i were you i'd reinstall again main OS & voice OS,reset all system parameters,calibrate and try loading that project again..I know it's a pain but you have to make sure everything's running correctly.Also follow Carson's advices on choking and assigning voices..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:34:00 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

RobH

« Reply #770 on: June 07, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
I'm managing here to force voices to drop.

The steps are basically to just keep reassigning voices to pads (im only playing 4 pads rest are muted, a kick snare and two hats) then eventually a voice just doesn't return. I was assigning 3 pads to once voice and things, but im not sure that was needed, just keep reassigning voices and see if u can make it drop/

My exact steps are :-

Steps are load this project, make sure all voices are unassigned and all lfo's are unsync'd or off.make sure all chokes are off.

Mute everything but pads 5, 10, 11 and 12.

Play the beat and continually reassign voices to these four pads. Make some chokes if u want but im not sure that is nessacary as i have had it drop without doing that.

Continue to reassign voices until one eventually drops. I think assigning mutliple pads to the same voice momentarily helps force the drop. Also was using voices 5 and 6 for kick and snare a lot and voices 1 and 2 for the hats a lot again i dont know if this matters.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:43:40 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #771 on: June 07, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »
@RobH
The procedure of calibration is very specific...Unplug all cables...And i mean aaallll cables..Only power left plugged...If i were you i'd reinstall again main OS & voice OS,reset all system parameters,calibrate and try loading that project again..I know it's a pain but you have to make sure everything's running correctly.Also follow Carson's advices on choking and assigning voices..

Yeah im aware of the calibration procedure thanks though.

RobH

« Reply #772 on: June 07, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
No one else managing to force drops?

edit - I'm struggling to repeat the behaviour now been trying for a while....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:50:56 PM by RobH »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #773 on: June 07, 2017, 04:20:15 PM »
No Im not seeing any dropped voices when using the project you exported and switching various sounds voice assignments.  Only thing I've seen which sounds like a dropout is having multiple pads assigned to the same voice and the voice not being available to play all sounds due to the sequence.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #774 on: June 07, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
No Im not seeing any dropped voices when using the project you exported and switching various sounds voice assignments.  Only thing I've seen which sounds like a dropout is having multiple pads assigned to the same voice and the voice not being available to play all sounds due to the sequence.

Well it defo dropped a good few times, i can't force it to happen now.

Does choke only work if both pads (the one choking and the one getting choked) are assigned to the same voice? For some reason my Pad 10 will not choke anything, ive tried making the delay longer and rerecording the notes so they happen together whatever pad i try to choke just plays normally unless i assign both pads to the same voice.

I'm going to reinstall this OS and see if it fixes things. Im a little frustrated here Carson so i don't even want to know how u feel testing this trying to recreate these bugs, i know they were drops and not me being stupid i checked everything but then all of a sudden not being able to recreate it again is really annyoing....

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:09:51 PM by RobH »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #775 on: June 07, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
When you were checking the described drop outs, was the sequencer running or not?

No, the choke should work regardless of a sound's assigned voice.  Also, it's good to note that you need to set the choke pad on the sound which you wish to choke with the other sound.  This is to say that if you want to set pad 5 to be choked by pad 10, you would set the choke pad setting on pad 5 to pad 10.

At this point, it's not clear that the issue was related to a bug or some misconfiguration of various parameters.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #776 on: June 07, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
When you were checking the described drop outs, was the sequencer running or not?

No, the choke should work regardless of a sound's assigned voice.  Also, it's good to note that you need to set the choke pad on the sound which you wish to choke with the other sound.  This is to say that if you want to set pad 5 to be choked by pad 10, you would set the choke pad setting on pad 5 to pad 10.

At this point, it's not clear that the issue was related to a bug or some misconfiguration of various parameters.

Yes at the times of all drops its been running clocked from Abelton. I obviously stopped everything and double checked and the voices were still not there when the sequencer was stopped, changing beats did not return them either (when stopped).

Ah ok so i'm choking the wrong way around. Noted Thanks.

edit - Ok, so the choke must work on volume somehow not midi or some other way, i had a very low volume setting on Pad10 and i was running through a compressor and it was letting the other sound through when i adjusted the volumes it choked it properly i wouldn't have thought it worked like that but heh learn something about the T every day lmao.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:22:05 PM by RobH »

« Reply #777 on: June 07, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Hi RobH,

Sounds like you have it sorted now I see!

My Tempest is clocked from an Engine hardware sequencer and no issues here.

May be overkill ,but when updating the firmware I update the voice and main, then reset system parameters, calibrate drum pads and sliders and then the main calibration routine also.
Basically all the options in the system menu after every update.

Cheers.

Tim

RobH

« Reply #778 on: June 07, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
Hi RobH,

Sounds like you have it sorted now I see!

My Tempest is clocked from an Engine hardware sequencer and no issues here.

May be overkill ,but when updating the firmware I update the voice and main, then reset system parameters, calibrate drum pads and sliders and then the main calibration routine also.
Basically all the options in the system menu after every update.

Cheers.

Yes i do all these things.

Well, i still experienced voice drops earlier, i've been in this beta long enough now to be pretty thorough, i'm pretty sure they were bugs still.

I'd like some clarification on how choking actually works in the Tempest surely volume shouldn't play a part in if another pad it choked or not?  Choking should stop the other pad playing at all? Something seems off about it i cannot properly choke a kick i have on pad A12, its always playing underneath the sound thats choking it. I've panned both sounds to hard L and R, the kick on A12 choked the other sounds fully but i cannot get the other sounds to choke the kick.

I cannot get Pad A10 to choke A12, i've tried swopping the sounds around from one pad to the other and see if that was the reason but the sound playing on A12 will not be choked at all it doesn't matter if i put the kick or snare sound into it. I have panned each left and right to hear this and its not working. I'm going to reinstall the voice OS and see if it remains this way.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:37:50 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #779 on: June 07, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
Ok

I have reinstalled the voice and OS updates to the latest.

I have system reset, i have calibrated all pads, buttons and main voices calibration.

I have started the Tempest up with the default file that loads after a system reset (i have never changed this afaik).

I have recorded in notes on the pads A10 and A12 and muted all other pads.

I have choked pads A10 with A12 (works fine).

I have attempted to choke pad A12 with pad A10 - Still has no effect pad A12 will not be choked.

edit -  i feel like im going insane.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:53:06 PM by RobH »