Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

RobH

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.9 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #720 on: June 02, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
Now im real glad i didn't spend ages copying and saving stuff. Phew!

« Reply #721 on: June 02, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
Oh man, jealous of you guys! Not sure what's up with my unit. As it stands, for this weekend's shows I've set up a Tempest mute group up on my mixer so I can discreetly power cycle every few tracks!
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #722 on: June 02, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
Trevor - gonna load up your project too and see if Ican duplicate your issue.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #723 on: June 02, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
Trevor - gonna load up your project too and see if Ican duplicate your issue.

That's mighty kind of you, thank you. Since only 1 of the beats contains a saved sequence, it's going to be a dull project to play around on though lol. Here's the sequence of events on my end as the only way I seem to get dropped voices is by playing my set in order (weird!)

So just noodle on these a bit:

Beat 1, play pad a4 and pad a1 (transpose mode)

Beat 2 - play pad a1 transpose mode
Beat 3 - pads a12,a4,a11,a13, a7, a8
Beat 4 - pad a16 transpose mode
Beat 5 - pad a1 transpose mode, a9, a10
Beat 6 - pad a1 transpose mode
Best 7 - sequencer on, play mutes

By beat 5 the voice drops will have happened if they're going to on that run through...

Tempest master, pad to note mode "sounds",  midi sound channel 2, alt channel 10

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #724 on: June 02, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
I did some testing on your project last night and today and have yet to encounter a dropped voice.

Just to be sure, have you verified that the OS was indeed updated?

Also, since you have only encountered dropped voices when playing the set in order, and since most of the beats are all being triggered via MIDI, the issue could be related to some sort of unexpected MIDI data being sent to the synth.

During your set, are you sending MIDI clock to the synth? 

When you encounter the dropped voices, have you tried setting an ALL NOTES OFF command on the Tempest by holding both SHIFT buttons and pressing the STOP button?

What is your overall gear configuration?

Any additional information or steps to reproduce would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:32:42 PM by cbmd »
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #725 on: June 02, 2017, 12:57:42 PM »
Hi Carson

Yes, my os shows as being updated. I haven't tried the "all notes off" command, I'll try that.

My set is sequenced / arranged via an Octatrack. I have a midi cable coming out of the OT and going to the Tempest in (no midi coming out of Tempest so not a midi loop). I have a merger box that also sends midi from the OT to my Pro2 but the voices drop regardless of whether Pro2 is connected so that's out.

I'm not sending clock to tempest (t set to master), but I may have my Octatrack sending clock regardless (which it doesn't need to be), I'll see if switching that off changes things.

The OT triggers a few sounds on both Tempest channels 2 and 10 on beats 4,5,7 but a majority of the sounds from the Tempest are being played live by hand and they're all being played by hand up until beat 4 and I've had voice drops in the past on beat 3. There's no Tempest sequencer until beat 7, but the drops happen before then so I've power cycled by the time I've gotten there.

I'm at a festival all weekend, but I'll see if I can plug my rig in off stage somewhere to try the midi stop suggestion and find any other clues. When I get home early next week, I'll build a simple version of my set in Ableton and see if I can replicate the issue so I can send you a set project too.

Thanks for your time, this is definitely a weird one and hard to replicate in a logical fashion.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #726 on: June 02, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
Hi Trevor,

Thanks, though no need to test if you're at a festival.  Please do see if you can simplify the steps to reproduce when you have time and I will continue to look into it in the meantime.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #727 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
Hi Trevor,

Thanks, though no need to test if you're at a festival.  Please do see if you can simplify the steps to reproduce when you have time and I will continue to look into it in the meantime.

Thanks Carson, it might be nice to have something to do on my downtime here - either way, I'll be in touch soon.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:15:52 PM by Trevor Refix »

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.10 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #728 on: June 02, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
We've just posted 1.4.5.10 Main OS.  It fixes an issue wherein SHIFT + Pad with roll active caused pad to play and hung notes to occur.

Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #729 on: June 02, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »
We've just posted 1.4.5.10 Main OS.  It fixes an issue wherein SHIFT + Pad with roll active caused pad to play and hung notes to occur.

I just purchased a Tempest yesterday and like I do with all my new instruments I went to looking to see if I need an update.  I have 1.4.0 looks like there is a new one?  How do I find that?

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #730 on: June 02, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
Another Main OS uploaded.  Tempest Main 1.4.5.11 fixes an issue where note velocity/duration set to 0 when recorded to sequencer from external MIDI source and record turned off.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.11 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #731 on: June 02, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
Bro, you are on fire. thanks;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #732 on: June 03, 2017, 01:54:39 AM »
well I'm outta bugs now anyone got anything they want helping trying to resolve???

Good job Carson! (and anyone else at DSI still working on this!!!)

« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2017, 01:59:55 AM »
Yeah,
Appreciate the Tempest development OS is not retired until all issues are fixed.
Thanks.
Tim

« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »
well I'm outta bugs now anyone got anything they want helping trying to resolve???

Good job Carson! (and anyone else at DSI still working on this!!!)

These two items still being worked on I believe as I had confirmation of them, could be an invasive fix as I have had no email updates on progress so far. But, great that things are slowly being worked out. Thanks guys.

BUG – BEAT TRANSITION
Power cycle Tempest
Load Factory Project (I am using Bag & Glow)
Initialize Project
Reset System Parameters
Press ’SYSTEM’ again
Check System Swing set as BEAT
In 16 BEATS MODE enter the following SWING data into the pads
A1 – 56.3%
A2 – 60.4%
A3 – 64.6%
Select ‘BEAT PAD ‘A1
Press ‘ERASE’ and ‘COPY’ to enter ‘EDIT’ mode and select ’10. Change Time Signature’ and set the following BEAT/TIME SIGNATURE data.
A1 – 4/4 8 Bars
Select ‘BEAT PAD ‘A2
Press ‘ERASE’ and ‘COPY’ to enter ‘EDIT’ mode and select ’10. Change Time Signature’ and enter the following BEAT/TIME SIGNATURE data.
A2 – 4/4 6 Bars
Select ‘BEAT PAD ‘A3
Press ‘ERASE’ and ‘COPY’ to enter ‘EDIT’ mode and select ’10. Change Time Signature’ and enter the following BEAT/TIME SIGNATURE data.
A3 – 4/4 4 Bars
Press ‘PLAY LIST’ and ‘EVENTS’ to enter Play List Mode
Enter the following Steps
1 | 1/Basic Beat – 8 Bars (Bar 1)
2 | 2/Basic Beat – 6 Bars (Bar 9)
3 | 3/Basic Beat – 4 Bars (Bar 15)
Ensure the ‘END’ (soft knob 4 is set to ‘Loop to Step 1’
PRESS PLAY… (Note: I’ve had it freeze here a couple of time when Play pressed, but this is very rare).
About once every 6 plays of the ‘LOOP’ you will get a skip (I have actually gone quite a while before loops skips).
You will have to concentrate and watch the time stamp. The skip usually happens at Bar 8 and skips to Bar 13 or Bar 14 and skips to Bar 17

BUG – STOP: END PLAY
1. Power cycle your Tempest.
2. Load any Factory Project.
3. Initialize a new Project.
4. Select any Beat.
5. Change it’s Time Signature.
6. Choose 4/4 2 bar (although I think any time signature will do)
7. Go into the Beat Events screen.
8. Select any sound and insert a single step at the beginning of the very first bar.
9. Go to Play List and select the Beat you just edited as the first and only Step in the Play List and make it play for 2 bars.
10. Select ‘End: Stop Playback’ as playback mode.
11. Press Play.
RESULT:
Play List starts the bar and plays the sound at 1.1.1 as it should, but also at the end of the bar at 2.4.73 when it stops.

Stoss

« Reply #735 on: June 03, 2017, 08:15:15 AM »
How about this list? It's from before when Dave said the Tempest was finished. Now that we are far removed from that promise and apparently experiencing a surge of effort from DSI, it would be great to know what DSI considers a "bug" and what of these items has either been taken care of, or has made it to their current internal list.

John, thank you for your efforts as Tempest users' liaison during the Tempest refinement. It is my guess that your 'remaining bugs list' from Feb 15, 2017 (minus the 3 last bug fixes) is the best guide to know which quirks remain. I'll copy it fully here as I figure it's useful to keep handy.

This came up in another thread, so I thought I might as well post and updated version of the bug-list here as well...

Bugs remaining as of Feb. 15, 2017:

·       If you accidentally hit the 16 Beats or 16 Mutes button first, when trying to enter 16 tunings or 16 Levels mode, the Roll function automatically disengages – mode changes should happen upon the button’s release in order to prevent this.

·       In 16 Tunings mode, when the sequencer is stopped, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       In 16 Levels mode, when the sequencer is stopped, the Arp allows notes to be triggered outside of the selected quantize value, which creates undesirable flams when trying to depress multiple notes at once, or when adding new notes to the arpeggio.  Also, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       When recording with the Arp in 16 Levels mode, the held pads blink in succession with each note trigger as expected; but after the first pass of the sequence is recorded, only pad 16 blinks.  *In all other Arp modes, the pads continue to blink in the order they were depressed/recorded as expected.

·      When switching beats on-the-fly, the first step of the sequencer-out is consistently late; so if you're triggering a sample loop on the one, every time you switch beats on the Tempest, it will be out of sync for the first pass.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      Tempest starts one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      If you hold 'Shift' and turn the Compressor knob to get into the compressor menu, you can no longer get back to the Mixer screen.

·      Compressor Envelope 'Amount' only goes from -64 to +127 instead of -/+127.

·      Regardless of what value is set and saved, every time the Tempest is power cycled the Compressor Envelope 'Peak Hold' parameter changes to match the value of the 'Amount' parameter.

·      After a power cycle, all the Compressor Envelope parameters display at the correct value as saved (*with the exception of 'Peak Hold' – see above); however, in actuality they are zeroed, and will otherwise remain that way until each parameter is revisited and its value is moved by at least one increment.

·      When Slider Mode is set to 'Real-time', only FX1 Slider is affected. FX2/3/4 sliders are always 'Step' regardless of this parameter setting.

·      Using Mod Paths for external MIDI sound control results in intermittent affect on the sound.  *Causes are unclear, but the bug occurs more frequently on playback of a Beat with many sounds.

·      When playing a Beat containing held notes of an ADSR sound, if you turn on Bank B while 1) a note is playing and 2) a different sound is selected, the playing note's pad sticks on.

·      LFO sync drifts when set to either 'Beat' or 'Play', and dotted eighths remains missing from the sync options.

·      The sequencer-out still doesn't trigger notes in real-time: i.e. it only sends trigger information after the sequence is recorded, which essentially means that you're recording deaf.

·      Beat roll still doesn't swing.

·      A sound folder is still need to correspond with the pad name "Synth".

·      When adding or copying steps via the Events Screen, the Pad lights do not correlate correctly in 16 Time Steps mode.

·      In 16 Mutes mode, on the Pads screen, although you are still able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) it is not reflected graphically on the display.  This could be fixed if the display matched the style of the Mixer screen.

·       The Mute/Solo/Delay buttons should perform their functions in both the 16 Mutes/Pads and 16 Mutes/Mixer screens.

·      Mutes “All On” should be available on the mixer screen in both 16 Mutes and 16 Sounds Mode.

·      In the System Menu > MIDI Remote Pad Play > when 'Pad To Note Mode' is set to 'Mutes', if a note number is received that is one of the 'Bank B' assignments on that page, it is treated as the 'Bank A' assignment of the same number.  For example, if Pad B1 is assigned to note# 80, and Pad A1 is assigned to note# 69, sending Tempest note# 80 will toggle the mute of pad A1.

·      The “Undo All Sounds” functionality needs to be better implemented or otherwise removed.  It is currently awkward, buggy, and a liability on account of the fact that it uses the 'Undo Rec' as a 'SHIFT' function.

·      When you set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only', if you mute a pad that contains a sequence and then attempt to play that same sound live in 16 Tunings mode, turning the Mixer Level knob causes the sound to cut-out.

·      If you edit a project and then attempt to do a RAM dump via the 'Save/Load' screen: 7. Export Project over MIDI, the Tempest freezes.

·      In '16 Beats' mode, when trying to copy/paste beats by holding the 'copy' button, nothing happens if you attempt to 'paste' into the beat that is currently selected; whereas pasting into an unselected beat works as expected.

·      If you toggle the 'Reverse' button on and play a beat, it plays correctly in reverse. However, if you then select a different Beat, the newly-selected beat does not play in reverse even though the 'Reverse' light is on.

·      While a sequence is playing, in '16 Time Steps' mode, on the 'Events' screen, disengaging the "Loop Screen" function causes the tempest flip-out for a second: i.e. all the pads light-up in rapid succession and the beat stutters.  Sync, however, is maintained.

Okay, the above list should accurately represent the Tempest’s status as of Beta OS 1.4.4bb.  I’ve removed any bugs that have recently been noted in the change-log as “fixed”, and have added any bugs that have been reported and confirmed since the last time I updated the list.  If I’ve missed anything, or if I’ve removed anything that has in fact not been fixed, please let me know.

Cheers!

I wonder if these two issues remain.
·      The sequencer-out still doesn't trigger notes in real-time: i.e. it only sends trigger information after the sequence is recorded, which essentially means that you're recording deaf.
·      If you edit a project and then attempt to do a RAM dump via the 'Save/Load' screen: 7. Export Project over MIDI, the Tempest freezes.

« Reply #736 on: June 03, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »

[/quote]

The issue "If you edit a project and then attempt to do a RAM dump via the 'Save/Load' screen: 7. Export Project over MIDI, the Tempest freezes." was resolved way back with version 1.4.5.1

idm

« Reply #737 on: June 03, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
Wow, I'm impressed. Great developments!!

Thanks a million Carson for keep putting energy into this strange but wonderful machine. :)

« Reply #738 on: June 04, 2017, 03:12:48 AM »
How about this list? It's from before when Dave said the Tempest was finished. Now that we are far removed from that promise and apparently experiencing a surge of effort from DSI, it would be great to know what DSI considers a "bug" and what of these items has either been taken care of, or has made it to their current internal list.

John, thank you for your efforts as Tempest users' liaison during the Tempest refinement. It is my guess that your 'remaining bugs list' from Feb 15, 2017 (minus the 3 last bug fixes) is the best guide to know which quirks remain. I'll copy it fully here as I figure it's useful to keep handy.

This came up in another thread, so I thought I might as well post and updated version of the bug-list here as well...

Bugs remaining as of Feb. 15, 2017:

·       If you accidentally hit the 16 Beats or 16 Mutes button first, when trying to enter 16 tunings or 16 Levels mode, the Roll function automatically disengages – mode changes should happen upon the button’s release in order to prevent this.

·       In 16 Tunings mode, when the sequencer is stopped, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       In 16 Levels mode, when the sequencer is stopped, the Arp allows notes to be triggered outside of the selected quantize value, which creates undesirable flams when trying to depress multiple notes at once, or when adding new notes to the arpeggio.  Also, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       When recording with the Arp in 16 Levels mode, the held pads blink in succession with each note trigger as expected; but after the first pass of the sequence is recorded, only pad 16 blinks.  *In all other Arp modes, the pads continue to blink in the order they were depressed/recorded as expected.

·      When switching beats on-the-fly, the first step of the sequencer-out is consistently late; so if you're triggering a sample loop on the one, every time you switch beats on the Tempest, it will be out of sync for the first pass.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      Tempest starts one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      If you hold 'Shift' and turn the Compressor knob to get into the compressor menu, you can no longer get back to the Mixer screen.

·      Compressor Envelope 'Amount' only goes from -64 to +127 instead of -/+127.

·      Regardless of what value is set and saved, every time the Tempest is power cycled the Compressor Envelope 'Peak Hold' parameter changes to match the value of the 'Amount' parameter.

·      After a power cycle, all the Compressor Envelope parameters display at the correct value as saved (*with the exception of 'Peak Hold' – see above); however, in actuality they are zeroed, and will otherwise remain that way until each parameter is revisited and its value is moved by at least one increment.

·      When Slider Mode is set to 'Real-time', only FX1 Slider is affected. FX2/3/4 sliders are always 'Step' regardless of this parameter setting.

·      Using Mod Paths for external MIDI sound control results in intermittent affect on the sound.  *Causes are unclear, but the bug occurs more frequently on playback of a Beat with many sounds.

·      When playing a Beat containing held notes of an ADSR sound, if you turn on Bank B while 1) a note is playing and 2) a different sound is selected, the playing note's pad sticks on.

·      LFO sync drifts when set to either 'Beat' or 'Play', and dotted eighths remains missing from the sync options.

·      Beat roll still doesn't swing.

·      A sound folder is still need to correspond with the pad name "Synth".

·      When adding or copying steps via the Events Screen, the Pad lights do not correlate correctly in 16 Time Steps mode.

·      In 16 Mutes mode, on the Pads screen, although you are still able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) it is not reflected graphically on the display.  This could be fixed if the display matched the style of the Mixer screen.

·       The Mute/Solo/Delay buttons should perform their functions in both the 16 Mutes/Pads and 16 Mutes/Mixer screens.

·      Mutes “All On” should be available on the mixer screen in both 16 Mutes and 16 Sounds Mode.

·      In the System Menu > MIDI Remote Pad Play > when 'Pad To Note Mode' is set to 'Mutes', if a note number is received that is one of the 'Bank B' assignments on that page, it is treated as the 'Bank A' assignment of the same number.  For example, if Pad B1 is assigned to note# 80, and Pad A1 is assigned to note# 69, sending Tempest note# 80 will toggle the mute of pad A1.

·      The “Undo All Sounds” functionality needs to be better implemented or otherwise removed.  It is currently awkward, buggy, and a liability on account of the fact that it uses the 'Undo Rec' as a 'SHIFT' function.

·      When you set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only', if you mute a pad that contains a sequence and then attempt to play that same sound live in 16 Tunings mode, turning the Mixer Level knob causes the sound to cut-out.

·      In '16 Beats' mode, when trying to copy/paste beats by holding the 'copy' button, nothing happens if you attempt to 'paste' into the beat that is currently selected; whereas pasting into an unselected beat works as expected.

·      If you toggle the 'Reverse' button on and play a beat, it plays correctly in reverse. However, if you then select a different Beat, the newly-selected beat does not play in reverse even though the 'Reverse' light is on.

·      While a sequence is playing, in '16 Time Steps' mode, on the 'Events' screen, disengaging the "Loop Screen" function causes the tempest flip-out for a second: i.e. all the pads light-up in rapid succession and the beat stutters.  Sync, however, is maintained.

Okay, the above list should accurately represent the Tempest’s status as of Beta OS 1.4.4bb.  I’ve removed any bugs that have recently been noted in the change-log as “fixed”, and have added any bugs that have been reported and confirmed since the last time I updated the list.  If I’ve missed anything, or if I’ve removed anything that has in fact not been fixed, please let me know.

Cheers!

This is a good list to bring up and I support keeping it alive. With absolute respect for its collaters and maintainers, however, is there a practical way between us - maybe using forum functions - that we could rank these (by their negative effect, for example)? Alternatively, I'd be happy to start a public JIRA instance and load them in for public voting and comments, as well as giving Carson access. I know DSI use JIRA too, so it might make things easier for all.

As a software publisher myself, some of my hardest (and most rewarding) work with my customers is to get things ranked so that when some combination of time / money / willpower inevitably runs out, at least the most important stuff has been delivered.

Since there seems to be a little more momentum in DSI-Land for Tempest bug-squashing I reckon ranking would help them and us.

What do you all think?

RobH

« Reply #739 on: June 04, 2017, 03:59:10 AM »
I think a number of those have been remedied and can be ticked off. Midi clock being late or early i think is fixed iirc?