Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.6 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #700 on: May 30, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »
Ok. nevermind all that, Ive finally seen the voice dropping issue and will look into defining the behavior better.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #701 on: May 30, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
Question for users who have encountered the drop voice issue...when a voice is dropped, is it related to a sound which is assigned to a specific voice?  Does the sound in question have any choke settings?  If so, is the pad set to choke itself and does turning of the choke resolve the issue.

No choke settings on my sound, but it tends to happen more often on a certain sound / beat (though has been project wide). Also has happened most often on voices 1 and 5 and 6 but hasn't ever happened on voice 4 yet to my knoledge. This may just be fluke or something I haven't noticed though - my current set has all the voices individually patched out and voice 1 is always kick and so on so it's easy for me to recall which sounds (and therefor which voices) have dropped recently.

My voices drop with or without Tempest sequencer running and as I noted before, it seems to happen more often after a period of the Tempest being on but not used (like 20 minutes of inactivity). I've only got a midi in cable attached from an Octatrack for sequencing only (no transport or clock sent), no usb.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:16:57 PM by Trevor Refix »
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #702 on: May 30, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »
Thanks Trevor.  It does appear that the voices drop out after the screen saver has been activated, though this doesn't happen %100 of the time. 

I will continue to look into this to determine a reproducible cause.  If any users have any further information/insights in the meantime, feel free to let us know. 

Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

Stoss

« Reply #703 on: May 30, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
Yes. Voices are dropping out.

idm

« Reply #704 on: May 31, 2017, 01:10:12 AM »
Thanks Carson :)

Voices dropping out are directly linked to the beat/play sync with restart on also. I typed a bit too quickly on my last posts.

On note reset there's no issue and I've been creating polyphonic pads yesterday for hours without issues. But as soon as I sync an lfo in beat/play mode, it starts flipping out. This is with restart On.

To check; set the sequencer to 1 bar, lfo synced to beat and restart ON. Destination Low pass filter. Set it to triplets or dotted to notice it restarting. Now start the sequencer and hold a polyphonic chord in adsr mode. Keep holding it and you'll notice the T starting to flip and then loose voices.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:17:13 AM by idm »

RobH

« Reply #705 on: May 31, 2017, 02:11:01 AM »
Oh I'm really glad you managed to make some headway with the voices dropping anyway!!! Thanks for keeping on this Carson!!!

Stoss

« Reply #706 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »
Yes. Thanks Carson for the proactive troubleshooting.

dslsynth

« Reply #707 on: May 31, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
It does appear that the voices drop out after the screen saver has been activated, though this doesn't happen %100 of the time.

I remember another instrument having issues which turned out to be related to the screen saver. It was probably the Prophet 12 Module with an edit buffer being garbled and the issue was discussed over on the old forum. If the same fixes have not been ported over from Prophet 12 maybe that could form the basis for a little dev cave chat?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #708 on: May 31, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
Thanks Carson :)

Voices dropping out are directly linked to the beat/play sync with restart on also. I typed a bit too quickly on my last posts.

Thanks, I've been trying that with mixed results on my end.  On a Tempest at home, I got stuck notes this morning using LFO sync with restart on. However, I'm not seeing this behavior on my Tempest at the office.

What OS are you currently testing on?  If I recall, you mentioned that you downgraded to the 1.4.5.2 OS and did not see the issue. 

Does this same behavior occur if you start from an initialized project?  If it does not occur on an initialized project and it's present on a specific project, would you please send me the project in question?

I just need to whittle down all the extraneous stuff to try to get to the core of the issue.

I have a reproducible case to make voices drop now.  We'll look into getting that resolved.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:26:53 PM by cbmd »
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

idm

« Reply #709 on: May 31, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
You too Carson! That's great news :)

« Reply #710 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:44 PM »
After paying closer attention tonight while I spend a few hours with my Tempest, my voice drops definitely happen more often on Voices 1, 5, 6 - in fact, those were the only voices that dropped in my 3 hour session but they each did so repeatedly regardless of sequencer running or LFO settings.

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.9 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #711 on: June 01, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
Main 1.4.5.9 has been posted.  This should fix the issue with voices dropping out.

cheers!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #712 on: June 01, 2017, 05:16:48 PM »
Main 1.4.5.9 has been posted.  This should fix the issue with voices dropping out.

cheers!

Nice work!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #713 on: June 01, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
sweet!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #714 on: June 01, 2017, 07:05:14 PM »

cheers!

I hate to be that guy, but I just ran through my set with the new OS and I had a voice drop - though it only happened once in the hour set which is better than it has been. Carson, I've attached my project sysex file. Let me know if I should also file an official ticket.

The voice that dropped on this run through was voice 5 (pad a9) on beat 5 ("Merlin"). This specific voice on this beat is the most common one that drops for whatever reason - almost half the time when I get to this beat (it's a half hour into my set), voice 5 is not working. About 25% of the time the partner sound (a10) on voice 6 goes too. As mentioned in my previous posts, I've had voices 1 and 2 drop on other beats but never (to my recollection) voice 4. 

Other common voice drops in this project (about 25% of the time individually, though not on this run-through):

beat 3, voice 1 (a12)
beat 3, voice 2 (a4, a11)
beat 3, voice 3 (a5, a13)
beat 4, voice 2 (a11)
beat 5, voice 6 (a10).

Project-wide details (beats 1-7):

voices 1-4 are all assigned in every beat and individually patched out the back. Voices 5/6 are assigned, but un-patched - ie: they play through the mains.

90% of the voices are either played live or triggered via midi so there aren't really sequences for you to press play on these beats

All the above is only for beats 1 -7, ignore the rest, they're not being used in my set so the patching doesn't apply and I can't comment on their behavior.

After installing the new Os I re calibrated my oscillators btw.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #715 on: June 01, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
Ill check it out in a bit.  To note, the cause of this issue seems to be related to using the LFO sync'd with restart on and set to Beat/Play, with no voice assigned for the voice.  If you have any sounds set this way, they must be assigned to a specific voice as specified in the LFO sync restart operation.

If this continues to be an issue, we may have to restrict the LFOs restart mode to revert to note or off with sounds not assigned to a voice.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #716 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
The project export you posted is only 1.1kb large, so not a full project.  Can you re-export it and post it?
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #717 on: June 01, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Weird. Ok, full one attached this time. The sounds / voices being dropped are definitely not set to beat/play restart and are all assigned fyi. As I've mentioned before, it tends to happen more often after a period of inactivity so I'm currently waiting until screen saver comes on to troubleshoot again.

edit: I didn't wait for screensaver, but had another run through and when I got to beat 4, voice 2 was dead. I then cycled the sound through the other voices on the voice assign screen, and it wouldn't work on voice 5 either (but worked when assigned to any other voice). I then checked all the beats, and voice 2 + 5 are dead on them all. A power cycle fixed it.

edit 2: another run through and the opposite happened: at beat 4, voice 2 wasn't working and that sound/pad wouldn't work on any voice assignment. Voice 5 was still working in the beat this time, but voice 2 was dead across the whole project. A power cycle fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:00:53 PM by Trevor Refix »

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #718 on: June 01, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »
Tonight I reared a beat using a 3 sync'd / voice allocated sounds and 8 pther sounds. Was messing around for 2 hours. No voice drop.

Tomorrow I will load up my old project and test it out. Ao far so good;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

idm

« Reply #719 on: June 02, 2017, 04:25:24 AM »
Same here! Problem seems to be solved. Great news. I have to play upcoming 3 days, 6 hours a day, so that will be a good test ;)

I also noticed freerunning mode is now working without assigning the sound to a voice :). Great stuff!