Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.6 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #640 on: May 18, 2017, 03:19:45 AM »
RobH,

I wonder if it has any connection to this bug I found.

1. Power cycle your Tempest.
 2. Load any Factory Project.
 3. Initialize a new Project.
 4. Select any Beat.
 5. Change it’s Time Signature.
 6. Choose 4/4 2 bar (although any time signature will do).
 7. Go into the Beat Events screen.
 8. Select any sound and insert a single step at the beginning of the very first bar.
 9. Go to Play List and select the Beat you just edited as the first and only Step in the Play List and make it play for 2 bars.
10. Select ‘End: Stop Playback’ as playback mode.
11. Press Play.

Grunes. Hello. Thanks for the riddle. Followed the instructions. I chose 4/4, 2 bars. Unexpectedly so, the sound played a 2nd time when Tempest stopped playback at Location 2.4.73. (That location is at the beginning of the fourth 16th note of the fourth quarter note of bar 2.)

RobH

« Reply #641 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
Hmm I'll check it out, I am triggering the beat changes manually as I just don't use the playlist, I'll see what happens when I do ur steps and see if it gives a similar results.

RobH

« Reply #642 on: May 18, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
RobH,

I wonder if it has any connection to this bug I found.

1. Power cycle your Tempest.
 2. Load any Factory Project.
 3. Initialize a new Project.
 4. Select any Beat.
 5. Change it’s Time Signature.
 6. Choose 4/4 2 bar (although any time signature will do).
 7. Go into the Beat Events screen.
 8. Select any sound and insert a single step at the beginning of the very first bar.
 9. Go to Play List and select the Beat you just edited as the first and only Step in the Play List and make it play for 2 bars.
10. Select ‘End: Stop Playback’ as playback mode.
11. Press Play.

Grunes. Hello. Thanks for the riddle. Followed the instructions. I chose 4/4, 2 bars. Unexpectedly so, the sound played a 2nd time when Tempest stopped playback at Location 2.4.73. (That location is at the beginning of the fourth 16th note of the fourth quarter note of bar 2.)

Hmm interesting, ok so my TEmpest plays 2.4.73 bars and puts in an extra hit at the end of the beat, this could very well be related but i'm not exactly sure how because im running my data from the DAW and not from the Tempest sequencer, but it is strange behaviour and would explain kind of why the drums seemingly hit twice in my bug when a beat is changed, i dont know very weird. If someone could test out if they get this beat skip/jump like i detailed earlier in the thread to confirm this bug it would be appreciated!

Thanks

« Reply #643 on: May 18, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
I'll just chime in real quick, as I've been following this thread for a week now. RobH, I also had an instance where the volume knob stopped working. Some of the voices randomly stop playing sounds as well (as the others have mentioned in this thread), mostly voice 1, but I had other disappear as well. Everything works fine after a restart, though, even the volume knob. Don't know how to recreate these bugs, as they seemingly appear randomly.

I've fallen in love with the machine again and am kinda bummed that I can't create the things I want with it right now. I hope the guys at DSI fix these issues, because an unstable machine is really of no use to me.

« Reply #644 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
I'll just chime in real quick, as I've been following this thread for a week now. RobH, I also had an instance where the volume knob stopped working. Some of the voices randomly stop playing sounds as well (as the others have mentioned in this thread), mostly voice 1, but I had other disappear as well. Everything works fine after a restart, though, even the volume knob. Don't know how to recreate these bugs, as they seemingly appear randomly.

I've fallen in love with the machine again and am kinda bummed that I can't create the things I want with it right now. I hope the guys at DSI fix these issues, because an unstable machine is really of no use to me.

I've just skimmed through many of the post so please excuse me if I missed or repeat something.

If I remember correctly I do recall someone saying possibly MIDI control messages (e.g.- volume) are being sent by a DAW to the Tempest.

Are the volume knob issues happening when the Tempest is being used standalone?

If not then perhaps there is a MIDI volume message being sent and it permanently overrides manual control on the Tempest, until the power is cycled off/on.

Just my thought.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #645 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »

I've just skimmed through many of the post so please excuse me if I missed or repeat something.

If I remember correctly I do recall someone saying possibly MIDI control messages (e.g.- volume) are being sent by a DAW to the Tempest.

Are the volume knob issues happening when the Tempest is being used standalone?

If not then perhaps there is a MIDI volume message being sent and it permanently overrides manual control on the Tempest, until the power is cycled off/on.

Just my thought.

I'm using the Tempest on it's own, with just the headphones attached. Running latest versions of OS, voice, etc. I didn't really want to upgrade to the latest beta OS, but had to, since I had that dreadful LFO drift from a previous version which made the machine unusable for me. Also had some weird tuning issues, but a few callibrations fixed that (the third one actually; the first one didn't fix anything, the second one made the osc 2 really low volume, the third one was actually ok).

RobH

« Reply #646 on: May 18, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
Ok, the Tempest isn't liking me sending midi data to it, sometimes its just stopping playing the midi notes and after this happened a moment ago I got a full freeze of my Tempest.

Going back to when my volume knob stopped working, i wasn't sending any volume data to the Tempest intentionally, and I hadn't changed the midi loop i was running the hats and kick data from in any way over the course of some hours programming other things, it just randomly stopped.

Another thing that is a little weird is when i try to record midi data into the Tempest when I play the midi data back there is a gap in the notes, if i try to record a 4 bar pattern it records it perfectly for the first 2 bars and then there will be a gap in bar 3 or 4 usually around the end of bar 4, or sometimes the gap is where i pressed REC to stop the recording, all  I know is its not recording the data quite correctly on my machine.

I feel this is extremely important and would like people to start running some patterns into the Tempest and record the live midi data while slaved to a DAW to see if you get any errors.

So to recap

Possible errors/bugs

a) Skips or jumps or notes playing twice when running live midi data to the Tempest from DAW and changing beat while slaved

b) Volume knob becoming unresponsive and having no effect

c) Live midi data not being recorded correctly (usually there is some gap in the midi pattern in bar 3 or 4 of a 4 bar pattern, sometimes the gap is where i stopped the REC)

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
I've just checked your possible errors and am unable to replicate any of these behaviors.  Any specific information on steps to reproduce would be helpful.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
I've just checked your possible errors and am unable to replicate any of these behaviors.  Any specific information on steps to reproduce would be helpful.

Open Ableton Live 9.7.2 (I am on PC but don't see why that would make a difference)

Slave T to Ableton @130 via USB

Make a 4/4 beat with a bassline on A1 also I have snare and clap on A2 (clap) and A5(snare).

Make a pattern in Abelton with hats on the 16ths (D#1) and 8ths (C#1)  in Abelton, kick 4/4 (C1) so they trigger pads 10,11 and 12. Make sure all 3 trigger on the start of each bar.

Start Abelton running sending the midi data to Tempest.

Go into beats mode and copy beats A1 to A2 and A3.

Change beat on a quantise of END or BEAT.

Hear the first notes in the new beat skip or are played twice whenever i you change beats. (midi data only those notes programmed in the sequencer play properly)

I recorded what is happening when I do this and loaded it to soundcloud

This is the pattern playing with no beat change.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/no-change

This is the exact same thing only I changed the beat at bar 5. The new beat is a direct copy of the original beat the only difference between these two recording is as i said, a beat change.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/beat-change-bar-5-tempest-beta-skip

When i run the whole thing from the Tempest it plays perfectly, when i run the whole thing without changing beats it plays perfectly, only when i change beat does it skip/jump whatever, ive just tried it again with 100% recreation rate at my end.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:56:35 PM by RobH »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
To be clear, how are you changing the beat at bar 5 if beat quantize is set to bt end?  is the beat length also 5 bars?  Do you have any chokes set on any sounds on the beat in question?

I've just made a pattern as outlined in your note and am not hearing any glitch when externally clocked and switching beats at any point within the beat.

Also, this is seems to only be steps to reproduce possible error A as described in the above note.  Please describe any steps to reproduce possible error B and C.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:12:52 PM by cbmd »
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
To be clear, how are you changing the beat at bar 5 if beat quantize is set to bt end?  is the beat length also 5 bars?  Do you have any chokes set on any sounds on the beat in question?

I've just made a pattern as outlined in your note and am not hearing any glitch when externally clocked and switching beats at any point within the beat.

Also, this is seems to only be steps to reproduce possible error A as described in the above note.  Please describe any steps to reproduce possible error B and C.

I am changing beats manually in 16 beats mode, i change the beat and at bar 5 the new beat begins as in the demo, maybe i should have said after bar 4 to be clearer, so i press the new beat any time during the 4 bar beat and it changes when it end unless i am misunderstanding something???

the volume not working only happened once but seen as though this is the final OS i thought it best to mention

as for C, well, I am sending the midi file i am using when i am experiencing these skips to DSI as i cannot link  it, try recording this data in and stop the recording after the 4 bars finishes, unless i let it loop a couple of times i get a gap in my recording into the sequencer.

for now lets just concentrate on this skip because i can't see why i am getting this error and i have tried lots of diffrent things to try and eliminate it.

Pls get teh midi file from DSI support or give me an email

Also if i am doing anything wrong pls say so.

Ps - No pads are choked
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:36:48 PM by RobH »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #651 on: May 18, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »
Thanks for the additional information.  Please attach the sysex file here so I may test it out.

Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #652 on: May 18, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the additional information.  Please attach the sysex file here so I may test it out.

Here is the current project file im working on, i am experiencing the skipping with this, i have change the beat on A1 but A2 and A3 are the original beats i experienced the skipping on, it skips with them all when changing a beat, if u need more let me know.

I sent the midi file to dsisupport, if you want the abelton file as well let me know.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:49:49 PM by RobH »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #653 on: May 18, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
I've loaded the project and added 8th note hi hats on pad 10 beat 2.  I then copied beat 2 to beat 1/3.  I am not hearing any skips when transitioning between beats.

Is this behavior only present when you are actively sending MIDI note data to the Tempest from your DAW?
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #654 on: May 18, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
I've just checked with MIDI notes being sent to the Tempest from the DAW and am still not hearing any skips
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #655 on: May 18, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
I can confirm a bug when recording MIDI note data to the Tempest from a DAW.  When the Tempest is stopped, the recorded data on the currently loaded step gets set to velocity 0.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #656 on: May 18, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
I've loaded the project and added 8th note hi hats on pad 10 beat 2.  I then copied beat 2 to beat 1/3.  I am not hearing any skips when transitioning between beats.

Is this behavior only present when you are actively sending MIDI note data to the Tempest from your DAW?

Yes this is only when i am sending midi data from the DAW and only when changing beats.

hmm - Maybe if you could try with the midi file i sent to DSI when u get to work, and see if its something particular to that pattern, i've tried adjusting my latency, i've tried different quantise, ive tried shortening and moving the midi notes within the pattern, i've tried making sure no midi is being sent to the midi track within the daw to trigger the notes more than once, i've checked no choke, still everytime i change the beat whilst sending the midi data from the daw i get this error. I'm open to it being user error but i'm kind stumped with this one i cannot work it out.

well at least you nailed one bug haha 1 out of 3 aint bad <3
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:33:11 PM by RobH »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #657 on: May 18, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »
Ok there are a couple of potential issues going on.  First, you have 4 sounds assigned to a voice on the Tempest.  The midi file you are playing back in Ableton has 3 sounds triggered on the downbeat.  Also, the sounds in the midi file are not quantized and sometimes fall just before/behind the beat.

Given the above, it would make sense that you would experience some glitches in playback. 
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #658 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:15 PM »
Ok, so i just unassigned the voices and the beat skip went away, i'm not totally sure why that would matter but yeah, thanks Carson your the man!!! (and we did find one bug on the recording so its not all for nothing)

Sorry if i've come with yet another bug thats not a bug, i really do try to find something worth finding lmao!!!

Well i'm glad its easily sorted anyway!!!

If it comes up again which i doubt it will i'll let you know.

So just to iterate it was because i had too many voices assigned out?

also i'm really glad this was sorted because my way of working now is with totally unquantized beat which i find easier to deal with than the rigid swings of drum machines! woo thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:43:08 PM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #659 on: May 18, 2017, 08:55:12 PM »
I just had the volume knob drop out again, I cannot repeat it but it was directly after I assigned out all 6 voices to individual pads I think it might be tied to that, apolgies i cannot recreate this I know you prefer more info than i give sometimes.