Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.6 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #580 on: May 07, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
Hi Carson,

I have been doing some more testing over the weekend on 1.4.5.6, and I think I may of made some very interesting findings. I have sent you the results on email. Thanks again for your help.

blewis

« Reply #581 on: May 07, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
Is this expected behavior? 

OS 1.4.5.6 Voice 1.5 Freshly calibrated.

I still think I get lost sometimes after shifting the Compressor into the envelope menu. So once you get into the Compressor Envelope, there's no path to see the Mixer.  There's a glitch, but no Mixer.The only way I can see the Mixer view straight from the Compressor Envelope is to hit Pads+Sounds, then hit Solo.

Reproduction Instructions:
1) Load Factory project: WeirdWorld
2) Select Beats, Select Pads, Select Sound Bank A
4) Play Beat 1
5) Hit Shift-Compressor Knob
6) Hit down arrow to get into ENV Trigger page (not needed, but this is what I did first)
7) Now Press _both_ Pads and Sounds to see the Mixer for this beat
8) I see a quick graphics glitch. I'm still seeing the Compressor Envelope page. I want to see the mixer.
9) Now hit Pads, it shows pads.
10) Now hit Sounds, it shows Compressor Envelope (should be showing something else right?  Beat Wide?)
11) Now hit Pads+Sounds to see the Mixer. No Mixer. You see the Compressor Envelope.
12) Hit up arrow several times.  Somehow I wind up in the Mixer Delay.
13) Hit pads, see pads
14) Hit Pads+Sounds. Delay Mixer.
15) Hit Solo.  NOW I'm seeing the mixer.
16) Hit Sounds to see Beat Wide FX.

blewis

« Reply #582 on: May 07, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
I hate how list item 8 ) is 8)  - makes me look like a wanker. :-)

RobH

« Reply #583 on: May 07, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
I hate how list item 8 ) is 8)  - makes me look like a wanker. :-)

Hey if your bothering to download a crazy ass patch called 1.4.5.6 and then leave 16 steps to recreate a bug u dont knows a bug, well, your ok in my book haha.

I'm on same newest patch nothing to report from my end, im using my T as a sound machine right now though simple tracking and dubbing simple sounds with most muted as i go (only one mono compressor) so I'm having an easy time right now. I kind of hope i don't find anything glaring on the one hand but then DO want to find a problem before this OS is signed off.

dsetto

« Reply #584 on: May 07, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »
... I kind of hope i don't find anything glaring on the one hand but then DO want to find a problem before this OS is signed off.
8)
___
Grunes, what are you finding?

« Reply #585 on: May 07, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
Hi dsetto,

Just out of curiosity, give these 2 items a go and tell me what happens with your Tempest.

1. Power cycle your Tempest.
 2. Load any Factory Project.
 3. Initialize a new Project.
 4. Select any Beat.
 5. Change it’s Time Signature.
 6. Choose 4/4 2 bar (although any time signature will do).
 7. Go into the Beat Events screen.
 8. Select any sound and insert a single step at the beginning of the very first bar.
 9. Go to Play List and select the Beat you just edited as the first and only Step in the Play List and make it play for 2 bars.
10. Select ‘End: Stop Playback’ as playback mode.
11. Press Play.

Let me know what happens.

Next try this:
 1. Power cycle your Tempest.
 2. Load any Factory Project.
 3. Go into Play Lists.
 4. While still in Play Lists go to ‘Initialize Project’ and press Initialize.

Again let me know what happens.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:39:37 AM by grunes »

« Reply #586 on: May 08, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
BUG report

Summary:
OSC Frequency range not completely controllable with Modulation path or FX sliders

Notes:
When controlling a OSC frequency with Modulation path or FX sliders the complete range of the OSC frequentie can't be controlled.

Example
The goal is to change the OSC frequency from one tone in the 12 tone scale to a other tone in the 12 tone scale.

Modulation source: one of the MIDI sources.
Modulation destination: Osc 1 frequency.
Modulation amount: 64 (value 127 did not produce a correct interval)
When from my DAW setting a value of 4 the OSC frequency jumped to the next tone.
(available MIDI range is only: 0-127 so smal amount on notes can be reached)

Expected:
It is possible to go to the hole range in increments of 1 from the DAW. Increment 1 the OSC goos up one tone.

Extra:
I would like to control cents accurate aswel.

I proposed to implement it like this:
modulation amount=0, send from DAW value 1 results in a jump 1 tone up.
modulation amount=1, send from DAW value 1 results in a jump only 1 cent up.

I thought Rogewr already addresseed and fixed this, what patch are you on the latest?

Yes on:
Main:1.4.5.6
Voice: 1.5
Panel: 1.3
Sam: 1.1

RobH

« Reply #587 on: May 08, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »
One thing i will say and that is if you are updating your OS, and your slider is not set to +- but just to + the LEDS never reach the top but settle one above midway, i'm sure its fine to eventually restart but it is a little disconcerting the first time they don't reach the top and you wait a decent amount of time, I pretty much use my sliders in a + manner most of the time not sure how easy this is to fix but its something to note

« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »
You need to calibrate the pads...And everytime you reset system parameters you have to re-calibrate them.So after an update first calibrate Analog OSC's+Filters and reset parameters and then calibrate pads and sliders ;)
One thing i will say and that is if you are updating your OS, and your slider is not set to +- but just to + the LEDS never reach the top but settle one above midway, i'm sure its fine to eventually restart but it is a little disconcerting the first time they don't reach the top and you wait a decent amount of time, I pretty much use my sliders in a + manner most of the time not sure how easy this is to fix but its something to note

RobH

« Reply #589 on: May 08, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
You need to calibrate the pads...And everytime you reset system parameters you have to re-calibrate them.So after an update first calibrate Analog OSC's+Filters and reset parameters and then calibrate pads and sliders ;)

Ah ok, i always run the calibration for the voices, i'll do the pads from now on too, thanks!

« Reply #590 on: May 08, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
Ooops sorry i meant ribbons :) Ribbons reseting after parameter reset and you have to calibrate both...

Ah ok, i always run the calibration for the voices, i'll do the pads from now on too, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:32:27 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

RobH

« Reply #591 on: May 08, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
Ooops sorry i meant ribbons :) Ribbons reseting after parameter reset and you have to calibrate both...

haha yeah i meant ribbons too, the sliders, lol its cool i caught it, i did both anyway for good measure!

dsetto

« Reply #592 on: May 08, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »
Grunes. Hello. Thanks for the riddle. Followed the instructions. I chose 4/4, 2 bars. Unexpectedly so, the sound played a 2nd time when Tempest stopped playback at Location 2.4.73. (That location is at the beginning of the fourth 16th note of the fourth quarter note of bar 2.)

When I performed the 2nd test, two times, Tempest froze, both times.

« Reply #593 on: May 08, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »
Hi dsetto,
Thank you for clarifying, I have been having positive emails exchanges with Carson concerning a skipping bug within Play Lists which we have been unable to narrow down. I think we have exhausted all possibilities now, as he has informed me that he doesn’t think this behaviour is related to the skips. Thank you for testing and confirming.

dsetto

« Reply #594 on: May 08, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
Are you able to intentionally repeat the unintended skipping?

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #595 on: May 08, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
Voice Loss 1 & 6

I had formatted the drive. Did not upload presets. Created a fully initialized sound/beat copied all inits to other pads. Saved as an initialized project in the Factory Dir.

Pad A1 - no analog OSC. Only used a OSC 3 - CHH / OSC 4 - OHH. Assigned to Voice 1 (self choking).

No other pads used for sounds.

Created a step sequence of 16th notes. Set OSC 3 to Vol 90 / OSC 4 to Vol 0.

Used LFO Square to alternate Vol of both OSC 3&4. LFO Sync to play.

While adjust rate and poof...lost voice. Can still see pad triggering (flashing pad)...change voice allocation and noticed that sound came back on Voices 2-5. Voice 6 didn't sound.

I turned off the Teppest ad turned it back on. Reinitialized sound and am trying it again. So far so good but there is obviously a problem.

Before Inreformated te drive I had calibrated the voices/reset parameters/calibrated pads. Will doo this again and report. 
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #596 on: May 09, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
Are you able to intentionally repeat the unintended skipping?

Hi dsetto,

Yes, I am able to intentionally repeat the skipping, but it is a very long winded process to go through. Carson did confirm this bug under 1.4.5.5 and thus released 1.4.5.6. However, I saw no change or fix with 1.4.5.6.

If anyone has the time and patience to to test this out it, and supply feedback on this forum it would be greatly appreciated.

SETUP:
System OS: Main OS 1.4.5.6, Voice OS 1.5, Panel OS 1.3 and SAM OS 1.1

Power Cycle your Tempest
Load a Factory Project
Initialise Project
Ensure System: Clock set as MIDI Clock Mode: Master
Set System: BPM source as Beat
Set System: Swing source as BEAT
Go into Beat Mode & Pads
Enter Swing and BPM data on these pads:
A1 56.3% – 170 bpm
A2 60.4% – 170 bpm
A3 64.6% – 170 bpm
A4 62.5% – 170 bpm
A5 60.4% – 170 bpm
A6 58.3% – 170 bpm
A7 56.3% – 170 bpm
A8 60.4% – 170 bpm
A9 – default
A10 – default
A11 56.3% – 166 bpm
A12 58.3% – 164 bpm
A13 60.4% – 162 bpm
A14 62.5% – 161 bpm
A15 64.6% – 160 bpm
A16 50.0% – 160 bpm

Enter time signatures on these Beats by holding Erase & Copy and selecting ’10. Change Time Signature’ from menu and enter the following data
A1 4/4 – 2 bars
A2 4/4 – 8 bars
A3 4/4 – 4 bars
A4 4/4 – 8 bars
A5 4/4 – 6 bars
A6 4/4 – 4 bars
A7 4/4 – 2 bars
A8 4/4 – 2 bars
A9 – default
A10 – default
A11 4/4 – 4 bars
A12 4/4 – 8 bars
A13 4/4 – 6 bars
A14 4/4 – 4 bars
A15 4/4 – 4 bars
A16 4/4 – 1 bars

Enter Play List by holding Play List & Events
Select play mode as End: Stop Playback using the soft knob 4
Enter the following data:
1 / 1 Basic Beat – 2 bars (bar 1)
2 / 2 Basic Beat – 8 bars (bar 3)
3 / 3 Basic Beat – 4 bars (bar 11)
4 / 4 Basic Beat – 8 bars (bar 15)
5 / 5 Basic Beat – 6 bars (bar 23)
6 / 6 Basic Beat – 4 bars (bar 29)
7 / 7 Basic Beat – 2 bars (bar 33)
8 / 8 Basic Beat – 6 bars (35)
9 / 3 Basic Beat – 4 bars (41)
10 / 4 Basic Beat – 8 bars (45)
11 / 5 Basic Beat – 6 bars (53)
12 / 6 Basic Beat – 4 bars (59)
13 / 7 Basic Beat – 2 bars (63)
14 / 8 Basic Beat – 2 bars (65)
15 / 3 Basic Beat – 4 bars (67)
16 / 4 Basic Beat – 8 bars (71)
17 / 5 Basic Beat – 6 bars (79)
18 / 6 Basic Beat – 4 bars (85)
19 / 7 Basic Beat – 2 bars (89)
20 / 8 Basic Beat – 6 bars (91)
21 / 3 Basic Beat – 4 bars (97)
22 / 4 Basic Beat – 8 bars (101)
23 / 5 Basic Beat – 6 bars (109)
24 / 6 Basic Beat – 4 bars (115)
25 / 7 Basic Beat – 2 bars (119)
26 / 8 Basic Beat – 2 bars (121)
27 / 11 Basic Beat – 4 bars (123)
28 / 12 Basic Beat – 8 bars (127)
29 / 13 Basic Beat – 6 bars (135)
30 / 14 Basic Beat – 4 bars (141)
31 / 15 Basic Beat – 4 bars (145)
32 / 16 Basic Beat – 1 bar (149) ensure Stop Playback enabled

You might want to save a Project file at this point, if you don’t want to input data again at a later point.

PRESS PLAY…
About once every 4 plays of the Play List you will get a skip, you will have to concentrate and watch the time stamp which is very tedious.

I again did this test before posting here and I encountered these results:
Play 1: OK
Play 2: Skipped from Bar 108-113
Power Cycled
Loaded Test Project
Play 2: Skipped from Bar 40-43
Power Cycled
Loaded Test Project
Play 2: Skipped from Bar 22-27

Looking at that data you would say that transitions into or out of a 6 Bar beat was the cause. But on a previous test I have replaced the 6 Bar beats with 2 & 4 Bar substitutes, the ‘skip bug’ then moved into 8 Bar beats and usually happened on the third time of playing.

If you do try this out and encounter the same issues, thank you very much for having the patience and time to do this.

« Reply #597 on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:54 AM »
Voice Loss 1 & 6

I had formatted the drive. Did not upload presets. Created a fully initialized sound/beat copied all inits to other pads. Saved as an initialized project in the Factory Dir.

Pad A1 - no analog OSC. Only used a OSC 3 - CHH / OSC 4 - OHH. Assigned to Voice 1 (self choking).

No other pads used for sounds.

Created a step sequence of 16th notes. Set OSC 3 to Vol 90 / OSC 4 to Vol 0.

Used LFO Square to alternate Vol of both OSC 3&4. LFO Sync to play.

While adjust rate and poof...lost voice. Can still see pad triggering (flashing pad)...change voice allocation and noticed that sound came back on Voices 2-5. Voice 6 didn't sound.

I turned off the Teppest ad turned it back on. Reinitialized sound and am trying it again. So far so good but there is obviously a problem.

Before Inreformated te drive I had calibrated the voices/reset parameters/calibrated pads. Will doo this again and report.

Tried this just now and I lost a Voice as well. I formatted and reloaded just the Factory Content onto my Tempest earlier this week too.

I repeated the same steps you mentioned and I lost Voice 1 after only two measures of the beat playing.  I didn't even adjust the LFO Rate, just let it play at 1/2 Note sync.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #598 on: May 09, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
I've checked in shop an am unable to replicate this behavior, though I have re saved my init sound/beat files through the debug menu.  This may be the missing bit which is causing the unexpected behavior.

It's good to note that saving the init project to the factory directory does not save the project as the default initalized project.  Once you have made a INIT sound and INIT beat, they must be saved as the default initialized files in the debug menu.

Let me know if there is any change after doing so.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #599 on: May 09, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Also, it's probably not a bad idea to manually restart the Tempest after formatting the drives.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim