Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.6 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #560 on: May 05, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
When using LFO sync and restart modes, the sound in question MUST be assigned to a voice to operate correctly.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »
When using LFO sync and restart modes, the sound in question MUST be assigned to a voice to operate correctly.

Ah, my mistake! Yup that's working just fine, thank you :D

I'm new enough to the Tempest where I assume this isn't a bug, but I figure I'd ask to be safe... the Digital Oscillators when you modulate their pitch with an Envelope don't go nearly as high in frequency as the Analog Oscillators correct?  I'm guessing that's just a limitation of the Digital Oscs and how they've always been.

« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Do you experience this problem when only using factory-provided files or files created in the current beta?

Reposting this here for visibility.

Unfortunately after some more testing the voice dropping problem DID happen to me using only Factory sounds in 1.4.5.6 (specifically the Burnt Neon & Funk Kit project).

Basically, I just erased a beat and created my own pattern.  I made a fairly busy sequence, one that would surely use all 6 voices at once in certain parts of the beat, but not steal voices.  I let the beat just run on loop in the background, and eventually after a few minutes it started acting strange and dropping voices.  When I stopped the sequence, I then tried assigning a sound to a specific voice and sure enough Voice 1 had gone completely silent on me.

I need to try it a few more times to see if I can reproduce it again, but this is the first time I've had the issue occur to me using just a Factory Project without any user sounds loaded.

« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
In trying to reproduce the voice-loss bug, I actually produced a new bizarre bug that's never happened to me before where the volume of my Tempest dramatically decreased to a barely audible level and turning the master Volume knob didn't make any changes (or if they did they were subtle).  A restart did fix the problem.  Here's exactly what I did when the issue occurred, sorry if it's a bit long-winded:

1. Booted up my Tempest, it defaulted to the BurntNeon and Funk Kit project.

2. I erased all the notes in Beat 1, changed my quantization to 16th, and set Swing to 50%.

3. I went to pad B1 (the Juno Subsquare) and used the 16 Time Step view to place an Event on every 8th note.

4. Still on pad B1 I opened the LPF completely, then went to LFO1 which I set to Square, with an amount of 98, assigned to Osc 1 Frequency.  I then Set LFO 1 to Sync at a 1/2 Note rate with Beat Restart.  Finally I assigned the sound to Voice 1.  I now had a short stabby bass sound alternating in pitch.

5. Holding down the Copy button with all the options set to 'On', I copied B1 to B2.  I then Pitched all of B2's oscillators up together by holding the Oscillator Select button and shifting it up to an E, then changed its Voice to 2.  I repeated this process on pads B3-B6, increasing the pitch each time until I had made a big C chord with root pitches C, E, G, C, E, G and changing the Voice so pads B1-B6 were assigned to Voices 1-6 respectively.

6.  I now had a constant pattern that made use of all 6 voices simultaneously.  I let the sequencer run playing this for a few minutes, starting and stopping it a few times.  I then tried removing the voice assignments from Pads B1-B6 and letting it play, and then reassigning them to Voices 1-6.  With the sequencer stopped and B1-B6 assigned to voices 1-6, I would play each pad to ensure that the Voices were still working.  At some point during this, the audio from Tempest drastically dropped to a barely audible level.  I could run the sequencer and still hear the notes playing, but they were incredibly quiet.  I turned the master Volume knob up completely (I had it originally set to probably 9 o'clock) and couldn't hear a difference.  I checked the Mixer section, and all the levels were set to their maximum.

This was with me just plugged in with Headphones to the Phones jack with no other cables connected. I tried unplugging/replugging my headphones multiple times with no changes... and after a Restart the Tempest's volume returned to its normal levels. Very strange.  If any more detail is required that might help please let me know.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #564 on: May 05, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the detailed information regarding your testing. The next thing to try would be to reload the voice OS, format the flash drives, re-upload the factory project files, and create a new initialize sound and beat settings.

To format the flash drive, hold both SHIFT buttons and press the SYSTEM button to enter the debug menu. Navigate to the FORMAT FLASH DRIVE menu item and select it. Follow the on screen instructions to format the drive.

Next, please reload the 1.5 voice OS file to the Tempest. You will find detailed instructions for updating your OS via Mac or PC on our website:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-tempest-os/

Once the voice OS has been reloaded, please reload the factory sound bank files to the synth.

Next, restart the Tempest and initialize the currently loaded beat. Be sure to set the time signature and bar number to your preferred settings. Select a sound and set it to your preferred initialized settings. Copy the sound to every sound location in the currently loaded beat.

Enter the debug menu and select the SAVE NEW INIT SOUND TEMPLATE menu item. Follow the on screen instructions to set the template.

Enter the debug menu again and select the SAVE NEW INIT BEAT TEMPLATE menu item. Follow the on screen instructions to set the template.

Once the above steps have been performed, please reset your SYSTEM parameters and then check whether you continue to encounter the described issues.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #565 on: May 05, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »
I understand the need to do this and will do so for sure. Just wondering if I will never be able to use some of the dowloaded sounds I had gotten like Yorgos' 808 kit since they were made with a beta version.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #566 on: May 05, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
I understand the need to do this and will do so for sure. Just wondering if I will never be able to use some of the dowloaded sounds I had gotten like Yorgos' 808 kit since they were made with a beta version.
yes me too.
I've just bought 6 commercial patch banks for T.
but it would be absurd if DSI turned around and said "ok here's the final OS, you can't use and sounds beats or projects created before this OS"... surely

Anyways, getting dropouts very frequently now. Not sure how much of this I can handle.
so far often voice 3, and sometimes 4
i don't use factory sounds beats or projects, i don't think i can help with the beta if the official stance is "don't use files created with older OS' "... can anyone suggest a stable OS version between 1.4.4 and 1.4.5.6? with no voice dropout problem?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:00:08 PM by onesnzeros »

dsetto

« Reply #567 on: May 06, 2017, 01:59:46 AM »
yes me too.
I'm pretty sure this is addressable, simply. But, for reasons of deference, I'll let others talk to this.

but it would be absurd if DSI turned around and said "ok here's the final OS, you can't use and sounds beats or projects created before this OS"... surely
They did not say this.

Anyways, getting dropouts very frequently now. Not sure how much of this I can handle.

Does this happen with sounds created in 1.4.5.6, from Initialized Sound?

i don't use factory sounds beats or projects,

You don't need to.

i don't think i can help with the beta if the official stance is "don't use files created with older OS' " 
Has an official stance been communicated? I provided a trouble-shooting suggestion. Beta assessment is not for everybody. I am honored to be able to participate in it, as I can.

I remain indebted to all those users that worked so hard, and made so many gains. Especially, John The Savage & Yorgos.

... can anyone suggest a stable OS version between 1.4.4 and 1.4.5.6? with no voice dropout problem?
Recreate the sounds important to you in last OS.

« Reply #568 on: May 06, 2017, 04:20:24 AM »
So far no problems here with the latest beta...I've even played at a gig last Friday..I was using OS 1.4.5.2 at that time..If i find something on 1.4.5.6 i'll let you know

« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »
yes me too.
I'm pretty sure this is addressable, simply. But, for reasons of deference, I'll let others talk to this.

They did not say this.

Does this happen with sounds created in 1.4.5.6, from Initialized Sound?

i don't use factory sounds beats or projects,

You don't need to.

i don't think i can help with the beta if the official stance is "don't use files created with older OS' " 
Has an official stance been communicated? I provided a trouble-shooting suggestion. Beta assessment is not for everybody. I am honored to be able to participate in it, as I can.

I remain indebted to all those users that worked so hard, and made so many gains. Especially, John The Savage & Yorgos.

... can anyone suggest a stable OS version between 1.4.4 and 1.4.5.6? with no voice dropout problem?
Recreate the sounds important to you in last OS.
ok it's obvious i'm gonna meet a defensive stance from some people any time i comment.
so beta testing for me is off the cards.
I use this machine (in what free time i have) to make music, and while I also deeply respect the hard work of said people, I received this machine on OSv1.4 and at the time HAD free time to carve some sounds... now I am trying my best to get a new live set happening with any time i get, and I simply don't have the time to be creating sounds, let alone re-creating sounds, nor needing to constantly restart and pray for the next stable update so I can open my projects again... I was simply reporting my real-world experience with the Tempest beta OS 1.4.5.6.

« Reply #570 on: May 06, 2017, 05:50:38 AM »
Thanks for the detailed information regarding your testing. The next thing to try would be to reload the voice OS, format the flash drives, re-upload the factory project files, and create a new initialize sound and beat settings.

To format the flash drive, hold both SHIFT buttons and press the SYSTEM button to enter the debug menu. Navigate to the FORMAT FLASH DRIVE menu item and select it. Follow the on screen instructions to format the drive.

Next, please reload the 1.5 voice OS file to the Tempest. You will find detailed instructions for updating your OS via Mac or PC on our website:

Once the voice OS has been reloaded, please reload the factory sound bank files to the synth.

Next, restart the Tempest and initialize the currently loaded beat. Be sure to set the time signature and bar number to your preferred settings. Select a sound and set it to your preferred initialized settings. Copy the sound to every sound location in the currently loaded beat.

Enter the debug menu and select the SAVE NEW INIT SOUND TEMPLATE menu item. Follow the on screen instructions to set the template.

Enter the debug menu again and select the SAVE NEW INIT BEAT TEMPLATE menu item. Follow the on screen instructions to set the template.

Once the above steps have been performed, please reset your SYSTEM parameters and then check whether you continue to encounter the described issues.

Sorry to hear that Simon music making supposed to be fun...Have you tried Carson's solution ^

ok it's obvious i'm gonna meet a defensive stance from some people any time i comment.
so beta testing for me is off the cards.
I use this machine (in what free time i have) to make music, and while I also deeply respect the hard work of said people, I received this machine on OSv1.4 and at the time HAD free time to carve some sounds... now I am trying my best to get a new live set happening with any time i get, and I simply don't have the time to be creating sounds, let alone re-creating sounds, nor needing to constantly restart and pray for the next stable update so I can open my projects again... I was simply reporting my real-world experience with the Tempest beta OS 1.4.5.6.

dslsynth

« Reply #571 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
format the flash drives

Minor detail: would it make sense to recommend the user to backup the existing projects and sounds in Tempest before formatting its flash drive?

. o O ( back seat driver )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #572 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »

Thanks Carson.  Did this and repeated the steps I mentioned earlier and so far I haven't had any voice drop outs or the volume issue.  I'll repeat it a few times to make sure.

« Reply #573 on: May 06, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »
BUG report

Summary:
OSC Frequency range not completely controllable with Modulation path or FX sliders

Notes:
When controlling a OSC frequency with Modulation path or FX sliders the complete range of the OSC frequentie can't be controlled.

Example
The goal is to change the OSC frequency from one tone in the 12 tone scale to a other tone in the 12 tone scale.

Modulation source: one of the MIDI sources.
Modulation destination: Osc 1 frequency.
Modulation amount: 64 (value 127 did not produce a correct interval)
When from my DAW setting a value of 4 the OSC frequency jumped to the next tone.
(available MIDI range is only: 0-127 so smal amount on notes can be reached)

Expected:
It is possible to go to the hole range in increments of 1 from the DAW. Increment 1 the OSC goos up one tone.

Extra:
I would like to control cents accurate aswel.

I proposed to implement it like this:
modulation amount=0, send from DAW value 1 results in a jump 1 tone up.
modulation amount=1, send from DAW value 1 results in a jump only 1 cent up.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #574 on: May 06, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
Adam X - good point but hopefull everyone knows what a drive format does;)

I spent about 3 hours saving each individual/folder sound, beat, project. Gonna test T today;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #575 on: May 06, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
BUG report

Summary:
OSC Frequency range not completely controllable with Modulation path or FX sliders

Notes:
When controlling a OSC frequency with Modulation path or FX sliders the complete range of the OSC frequentie can't be controlled.

Example
The goal is to change the OSC frequency from one tone in the 12 tone scale to a other tone in the 12 tone scale.

Modulation source: one of the MIDI sources.
Modulation destination: Osc 1 frequency.
Modulation amount: 64 (value 127 did not produce a correct interval)
When from my DAW setting a value of 4 the OSC frequency jumped to the next tone.
(available MIDI range is only: 0-127 so smal amount on notes can be reached)

Expected:
It is possible to go to the hole range in increments of 1 from the DAW. Increment 1 the OSC goos up one tone.

Extra:
I would like to control cents accurate aswel.

I proposed to implement it like this:
modulation amount=0, send from DAW value 1 results in a jump 1 tone up.
modulation amount=1, send from DAW value 1 results in a jump only 1 cent up.

I thought Rogewr already addresseed and fixed this, what patch are you on the latest?

dsetto

« Reply #576 on: May 06, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
...  Here's exactly what I did when the issue occurred, ...
I appreciate this. I am glad to know Carson's suggestion is working for you thus far. Keep the forum posted.

dsetto

« Reply #577 on: May 06, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
format the flash drives
... backup the existing projects and sounds in Tempest before formatting its flash drive ...

dsetto

« Reply #578 on: May 06, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
Hi all,

Please post any bugs you might encounter on the Main 1.4.2.5b and Voice 1.5 OS files in this thread. 

We would appreciate if you would give a general description of the bug as well as detailed steps to reproduce.  This will make it easier to keep track of and resolve any potential issues prior to the OS' official release.

Thanks!

dsetto

« Reply #579 on: May 06, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
I think it's musically wise to not want to get bogged down in beta assessing.