Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.5 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2017, 03:51:08 AM »
Hi Carson,

I have sent 2 further files to you at support@davesmithinstruments.com for further investigation, along with some analytical steps, and rebuilt from ground up under 1.4.5.5. Thanks again.

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.4b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »
A few of us seem to be having voice allocation issues with voices dissapearing, I've had this problem where if i assign 6 voices and mute them all any remaing pad playing won't make a sound, things like this are happening.

Someone has stated that patches saved in 1.4.5.1 need resaving for the 1.4.5.2 patch but I haven't tried that as a workaround yet. Other people are resorting to reboots.

Thought it worth a mention.

Yeah, I was having a slightly different issue.  After going back and forth emailing tech support a little and documenting the issue, it looked like the problem was sounds I created in 1.4.5.1 were corrupted somehow and causing the voices to stop working.  I fixed it by flashing my Tempest, reloading the factory content, and rebuilding the patches.  A bit extreme, but it worked.

To be more specific, the problem I was having was when I used certain custom sounds I created in 1.4.5.1 in 1.4.5.2, sometimes the voices on my Tempest would stop making sound.  For instance, Voice 1 would go completely silent while Voices 2-6 would be functioning fine, or in some cases Voice 2 would stop working while Voice 1 and 3-6 worked.  This would happen playing the Tempest one pad at a time while the sequencer wasn't running and with no sounds assigned to a specific voice even... so it wasn't a question of voice stealing/pad muting.  So actually in the cases where Voice 1 stopped playing, assigning a pad to Voice 1 still produced no sound, proving that Voice 1 had stopped working altogether.

I'm having this issue especially with multiple sounds with multiple analog oscillators running at the same time. Some polysynth sequences will drop voices indefinitely until I restart the machine. Very odd. Willing to try your solution Adam, is there a quick way to backup the entire Tempest or does it have to be beat by beat sysex dump?

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.4b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
A few of us seem to be having voice allocation issues with voices dissapearing, I've had this problem where if i assign 6 voices and mute them all any remaing pad playing won't make a sound, things like this are happening.

Someone has stated that patches saved in 1.4.5.1 need resaving for the 1.4.5.2 patch but I haven't tried that as a workaround yet. Other people are resorting to reboots.

Thought it worth a mention.

Yeah, I was having a slightly different issue.  After going back and forth emailing tech support a little and documenting the issue, it looked like the problem was sounds I created in 1.4.5.1 were corrupted somehow and causing the voices to stop working.  I fixed it by flashing my Tempest, reloading the factory content, and rebuilding the patches.  A bit extreme, but it worked.

To be more specific, the problem I was having was when I used certain custom sounds I created in 1.4.5.1 in 1.4.5.2, sometimes the voices on my Tempest would stop making sound.  For instance, Voice 1 would go completely silent while Voices 2-6 would be functioning fine, or in some cases Voice 2 would stop working while Voice 1 and 3-6 worked.  This would happen playing the Tempest one pad at a time while the sequencer wasn't running and with no sounds assigned to a specific voice even... so it wasn't a question of voice stealing/pad muting.  So actually in the cases where Voice 1 stopped playing, assigning a pad to Voice 1 still produced no sound, proving that Voice 1 had stopped working altogether.

I'm having this issue especially with multiple sounds with multiple analog oscillators running at the same time. Some polysynth sequences will drop voices indefinitely until I restart the machine. Very odd. Willing to try your solution Adam, is there a quick way to backup the entire Tempest or does it have to be beat by beat sysex dump?

What I did was just backup the specific sounds I had created (I hadn't saved any beats or projects at the time). If you go to the Save/Load screen and do option 8. Export File Over MIDI, you can then select if you want to back up everything, or just specific projects/folders/sounds.

« Reply #543 on: May 02, 2017, 04:49:19 AM »
i think i don't fully understand. i am currently using 10 songs/projects on the tempest that were created on earlier betas. does this mean i have to recreate every sound to get rid of these dropouts? please someone tell me there's another fix for this.

« Reply #544 on: May 02, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »
installed 1.4.5.5 last night, each time i hit a pad it triggered flams and on some pad hits the note cut short. it felt horrible, so i'm back on 1.4.4

BTS.WRKNG

« Reply #545 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »
installed 1.4.5.5 last night, each time i hit a pad it triggered flams and on some pad hits the note cut short. it felt horrible, so i'm back on 1.4.4

Is this common? Haven't installed 1.4.5.5 yet and definitely don't want this experience.

Roll on 1.4.5.6...? It never ends!

« Reply #546 on: May 03, 2017, 07:09:09 AM »
i never experienced this before 1.4.5.5, but since i rolled back to 1.4.4 I've had the occasional flammy glitch, but nothing as severe as 1.4.5.5... it felt very unstable under my fingers.
I also had a few issues with projects after rolling back, had to re-load all projects, beats and sounds, just to get T feeling normal again.

« Reply #547 on: May 03, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
It is 100% in your best interest to be using the latest beta. If you encounter any abnormal operation that wasn't present on a previous OS, please describe it in detail and provide steps to reproduce it. And ASAP.

We are getting very close to wrapping this up, so now is the time to make sure the OS is stable for you.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #548 on: May 03, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »
it's some percent in my best interest.
but it's also in my interest to have a stable instrument to use in the short term. I'm a musician/producer, not a full-time beta tester. I installed the OS, EVERY time i touched a pad it either flammed or the note cut short. I can't use my Tempest like that, let alone put aside my projects to be providing bug reports. If the OS was as stable as 1.4.4b, then i wouldn't hesitate to migrate to it. I tried, but as i say, just touching the pads on 1.4.5.5 indicated to me that it was a no go. No steps to reproduce, just touch a pad.

« Reply #549 on: May 03, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
I assume you're running the latest Main 1.4.5.5 and Voice 1.5 right?Was the installation successful?
Have you calibrated OSCs with all cables unplugged?Have you calibrated pads?Have you reseted system parameters?
but it's also in my interest to have a stable instrument to use in the short term. I'm a musician/producer, not a full-time beta tester. I installed the OS, EVERY time i touched a pad it either flammed or the note cut short. I can't use my Tempest like that, let alone put aside my projects to be providing bug reports. If the OS was as stable as 1.4.4b, then i wouldn't hesitate to migrate to it. I tried, but as i say, just touching the pads on 1.4.5.5 indicated to me that it was a no go. No steps to reproduce, just touch a pad.

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.5.6 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #550 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
ooooh, my bad, i didn't realise pads could be calibrated :P
I'll give it another crack tonight.

I must say also, my last post was made with no anger whatsoever, i realise my post may have come across a bit aggressive. No douchebaggery intended. RTFM Simon.

dsetto

« Reply #551 on: May 04, 2017, 06:10:14 AM »
Did you observe the issue with a project (sounds & beats) that was created in that beta?

« Reply #552 on: May 04, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
I assume you're running the latest Main 1.4.5.5 and Voice 1.5 right?Was the installation successful?
Have you calibrated OSCs with all cables unplugged?Have you calibrated pads?Have you reseted system parameters?
done and donnner
1.4.5.6 is a go baby... all calibrated and running smoothly, pads not flipping out... loading a beat created with 1.4.4b works fine... loading a project created with 1.4.4b seems to loose a few sounds for some reason... a "DigiGuira" where it shouldn't be :P
report back tomorrow, cheers

« Reply #553 on: May 04, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »
Just updated to 1.4.5.6 and immediately I'm having the issue where one of my voices has dropped out and stopped working.  When this previously happened to me, I suspected it was custom sounds I had created in an earlier beta causing the problem, so I wiped all my custom projects and sounds and rebuilt them and it fixed my problem. The longer I use the Tempest obviously the more tedious that process becomes though... so some kind of fix from DSI would be preferable.

I calibrated the oscillators and reset the system parameters, all the usual stuff after updating.  After a few minutes of playing one of my voices stops working, which I verify by assigning a single sound to the different voices and playing it by itself (no sequencer running) and discovering that a voice is now completely silent (in the case that just occurred, it was Voice 3).  The problem goes away after I restart the unit, but then comes back eventually.

idm

« Reply #554 on: May 04, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
Yeap... That really needs to be fixed...

« Reply #555 on: May 04, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »
running 1.4.5.6... Voice 3 just dropped out.
Restarted and haven't had a dropout for the last hour or so...

I have pads 1-6 locked to voices 1-6, if that has any effect on anything?
I think I was re-assigning voices in an imported project when the voice dropped out.

dsetto

« Reply #556 on: May 04, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »
Do you experience this problem when only using factory-provided files or files created in the current beta?

« Reply #557 on: May 05, 2017, 06:08:28 AM »
they'd be files created with v1.4 and v1.4.4b.
I doubt i even use any factory sounds.
Haven't had any voice drop-outs yet tonight.
I'll keep testing...

dsetto

« Reply #558 on: May 05, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

Beta folks! Suggestions ....

1. If you encounter an issue, use files created in that Beta, and/or Factory files.
2. The fine print accompanying a Beta is that files saved in it may not work in a later OS.

More about lost voices and this topic here. http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1354.0.html

« Reply #559 on: May 05, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
I'm on 1.4.5.6 and using only Factory Projects/sounds and I'm finding some odd behavior with synced LFOs set to Beat mode.

What's happening is I initialize a pad, then create a simple short Sawtooth pluck sound using OSC 1.  Then I assign LFO1 to a Square shape and used it to modulate OSC 1's Pitch up, and I put the LFO in Sync mode at the 1/2 Note rate with Beat restart.  I then use 16 Time Steps to enter a steady stream of 16th notes for all of my two measure loop, so I should be getting a very predictable alternating pitch pattern.

What happens is I hit play and the LFO behaves kind of erratically and doesn't play at the steady 1/2 Note rate you would expect.  It sounds kind of like the LFO is being retrigerred mid-sequence at different points. Everytime I stop and start my sequencer it behaves differently too.