Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

RobH

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.4b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #500 on: April 15, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
Don't fear 1.4.5.2 Main OS BETA. The more collaborative users it has, the more the upcoming final Main OS will have fewer big issues.

Just out of curiosity, do we have reason to believe there will be a final Main OS?  I know Dave Smith stated a few weeks back that 1.4.5.1 would be the final OS (and then of course 1.4.5.2 came along).  Wasn't sure if there was another announcement made that I might've missed that indicated they'd still be doing updates.

The next official release will be the last as far as I am aware, they will continue to fix bugs until that release, and i guess if no major bugs are realised once that is out then the OS will be finished, DSI have said they are not just leaving it as a beta and just dropping the OS bug fixes, thats not the intention of Daves message, there will be no new features now, just bug fixes.

dsetto

« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
My take is ... DSI believes the current BETA to be the one that can be "published" as the final OS. The intention of releasing it as a BETA is to see if Tempest users experience a "show-stopping" snag DSI did not know about.

With new-found snags, if found within a limited time window, DSI may assess the consequence of the snag, and if it can be resolved without having other important aspects come undone. DSI may or may not address previously known snags.

This has been corroborated by DSI on this forum.

---
1.4.5.2 is not a troublesome BETA to be feared. It is offered as a BETA that is all but the last official Main OS. It's ours to vet - for the time being.

If it was flaky, I understand avoiding it. As it's not, you owe it to yourself to use it.

RobH

« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
My take is ... DSI believes the current BETA to be the one that can be "published" as the final OS. The intention of releasing it as a BETA is to see if Tempest users experience a "show-stopping" snag DSI did not know about.

With new-found snags, if found within a limited time window, DSI may assess the consequence of the snag, and if it can be resolved without having other important aspects come undone. DSI may or may not address previously known snags.

---
1.4.5.2 is not a troublesome BETA to be feared. It is offered as a BETA that is all but the last official Main OS. It's ours to vet - for the time being.

If it was flaky, I understand avoiding it. As it's not, you owe it to yourself to use it.

I would call a bug that completley freezes up your Tempest "flaky" but thats just me. If i had not personally experienced the bug numerous times I would advice anyone to use it, I am not however going to tell a user who is not up to date with all the nuances and bugs contained in each version to jump in and start a test on a patch we know to have a freeze bug, although this bug has been found and i think fixed, so roll on the next version of the beta.

I don't see DSI doing anything wrong in wanting to put a final OS out if they are tackling the known bugs before its release, and i'm sure if it did make official status and something was very wrong, they won't just leave it at that, I don't think DSI intend anything other than "no new features" and so long as all bugs are fixed that can be, what is wrong with a final Os release?

« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »

---

Makes sense.  I've been on 1.4.5.2 and haven't found any big problems, but I also assumed they wouldn't fix any bugs at this point if I found them :)  Guess it's still worth writing to tech support if I find something quirky.  Good to know!

RobH

« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »
A few of us seem to be having voice allocation issues with voices dissapearing, I've had this problem where if i assign 6 voices and mute them all any remaing pad playing won't make a sound, things like this are happening.

Someone has stated that patches saved in 1.4.5.1 need resaving for the 1.4.5.2 patch but I haven't tried that as a workaround yet. Other people are resorting to reboots.

Thought it worth a mention.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
It's good to note that if you have all the voices explicitly assigned to sounds, any sounds which are not assigned to a voice will not play regardless of the assigned voices' mute state.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
A few of us seem to be having voice allocation issues with voices dissapearing, I've had this problem where if i assign 6 voices and mute them all any remaing pad playing won't make a sound, things like this are happening.

Someone has stated that patches saved in 1.4.5.1 need resaving for the 1.4.5.2 patch but I haven't tried that as a workaround yet. Other people are resorting to reboots.

Thought it worth a mention.

Yeah, I was having a slightly different issue.  After going back and forth emailing tech support a little and documenting the issue, it looked like the problem was sounds I created in 1.4.5.1 were corrupted somehow and causing the voices to stop working.  I fixed it by flashing my Tempest, reloading the factory content, and rebuilding the patches.  A bit extreme, but it worked.

To be more specific, the problem I was having was when I used certain custom sounds I created in 1.4.5.1 in 1.4.5.2, sometimes the voices on my Tempest would stop making sound.  For instance, Voice 1 would go completely silent while Voices 2-6 would be functioning fine, or in some cases Voice 2 would stop working while Voice 1 and 3-6 worked.  This would happen playing the Tempest one pad at a time while the sequencer wasn't running and with no sounds assigned to a specific voice even... so it wasn't a question of voice stealing/pad muting.  So actually in the cases where Voice 1 stopped playing, assigning a pad to Voice 1 still produced no sound, proving that Voice 1 had stopped working altogether.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:01:01 AM by AdamXAudio »

idm

« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
Rob, that is not a bug, and not the same issues I'm having :). When you assign all 6 voices, there's no voices left so any pad not assigned to a voice won't do a thing. This is why I start topics before reporting a bug in this topic, because I want to verify if it's user error or if more people are experiencing the same.

I'm having trouble with playing a beat and designing sounds, some voices just start randomly dropping out. Sometimes for the duration of one loop. But sometimes the whole voice is gone until I reboot. This happens to multiple voices sometimes too and not the same ones either, so it's not related to specific voices.

I'm still not sure why it happens. I'm going to try cleaning the flash of Tempest and reloading my beats and sounds to see if it helps tomorrow.

RobH

« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »
Ah ok, I have had some voices doing weird things when i haven't had them assigned out as well, thats what made me realise that having all 6 allocated and muted played no other sound, however I know not thats how its designed should i have any more voice allocation quirks i'll double check my voice allocation before reporting it.

« Reply #509 on: April 20, 2017, 12:02:44 AM »
HI Carson, Chris and DSI team,

Thanks for your time and effort with the latest update 1.4.5.3. Hopefully, that is the last 'essential operation' bug to be fixed and we can move on to an 'official' release soon. I will install later today. Thanks.

« Reply #510 on: April 20, 2017, 04:49:10 AM »
It's good to note that if you have all the voices explicitly assigned to sounds, any sounds which are not assigned to a voice will not play regardless of the assigned voices' mute state.

This has caused me some significant head-scratching in the past!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #511 on: April 20, 2017, 07:21:51 AM »
Tempest OS 1.4.5.3

Sigh... I am getting the Tempest (PlayList Mode & Slaved) and Logic (Master) drifting out of sync.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #512 on: April 20, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
Thanks.  I'll look into this today.

Edit: Just ran a cursory test on this with Live as the master clock.  I'm not hearing any sync drift between the DAW and the Tempest.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:05:23 AM by cbmd »
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #513 on: April 20, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »
Just updated to 1.4.5.3

I'm seeing a strange issue where it's playing a sound on beat 1 when there is nothing assigned to beat 1.  For example, I have a single snare sound assigned to play on beats 2 and 4, and every time it loops around I hear a phasey sounding snare on beat 1.  The phasey-ness of the sound makes me think its playing the snare with multiple voices at once too. Checked the Events view and there's definitely nothing on that beat.  I tried initializing the beat/project and it still happens.

Anyone else seeing this or know what it is?  It definitely wasn't happening to me before I updated to 1.4.5.3

I recalibrated the Osc/Filters and Reset System Parameters twice.

Edit: Just noticed that when I initialize my beat and set it to 2+ bars, it still just keeps looping the 1st bar over and over.  The Loop Screen function is turned off, and I don't have the Playlist button selected (nor have I ever used Playlist so far).  Maybe this is a clue to what's going on though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:56:24 AM by AdamXAudio »

« Reply #514 on: April 20, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
Had this happening today but didn't have time to fully test before going to work.
Except I kept getting a very low velocity hit show up in the events page.
Will check again when I get home.

Edit. And the only looping the first bar problem.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:15:08 AM by StanCollins »

« Reply #515 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »

Edit: Just ran a cursory test on this with Live as the master clock.  I'm not hearing any sync drift between the DAW and the Tempest.

Hi Carson, Thanks for the quick reply and test. Just gone back to 1.4.5.2 and everything was tight. Installed 1.4.5.3 again and timing is all over the place. Tempest display 'shows' everything is supposedly OK, but you can hear it going wildly out as tracks progress. Hopefully, you could take a further investigative look at the 'fix' if possible. Thanks again for all your help.

« Reply #516 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »
Had this happening today but didn't have time to fully test before going to work.
Except I kept getting a very low velocity hit show up in the events page.
Will check again when I get home.

Edit. And the only looping the first bar problem.

Just triple checked, I definitely don't have a note or any velocity playing on beat 1.

I went into the Playlist menu and noticed there was 1 playlist item set to 1 Bar.  I changed this to 2 Bars and exited the playlist menu and it actually fixed the issue... but I don't have the Playlist button selected.  Since I don't have the Playlist button turned on, it shouldn't actually be effecting anything, correct?  Looks like the issue is my beat is 2 bars and the playlist has a single 1 bar item in it, which is causing it to behave strangely.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #517 on: April 20, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »

Hi Carson, Thanks for the quick reply and test. Just gone back to 1.4.5.2 and everything was tight. Installed 1.4.5.3 again and timing is all over the place. Tempest display 'shows' everything is supposedly OK, but you can hear it going wildly out as tracks progress. Hopefully, you could take a further investigative look at the 'fix' if possible. Thanks again for all your help.

I'll continue looking into this, though I have not yet identified any drift when externally sync'd.  Does the amount of drift you are hearing change depending on the project?  Does it occur when tested on a initialized project with some amount of note data present?

Edit: I have been able to replicate this as well.  We'll look into it!  thanks!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:42:10 AM by cbmd »
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #518 on: April 20, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
Just updated to 1.4.5.3

I'm seeing a strange issue where it's playing a sound on beat 1 when there is nothing assigned to beat 1.  For example, I have a single snare sound assigned to play on beats 2 and 4, and every time it loops around I hear a phasey sounding snare on beat 1.  The phasey-ness of the sound makes me think its playing the snare with multiple voices at once too. Checked the Events view and there's definitely nothing on that beat.  I tried initializing the beat/project and it still happens.

Anyone else seeing this or know what it is?  It definitely wasn't happening to me before I updated to 1.4.5.3

I recalibrated the Osc/Filters and Reset System Parameters twice.

Edit: Just noticed that when I initialize my beat and set it to 2+ bars, it still just keeps looping the 1st bar over and over.  The Loop Screen function is turned off, and I don't have the Playlist button selected (nor have I ever used Playlist so far).  Maybe this is a clue to what's going on though.

I can confirm a bug wherein step 1 of the beat which is being transitioned from is heard on the next playlist step.  I've added it to our list.

Thanks!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #519 on: April 20, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
We've fixed both of the above bugs and have uploaded the 1.4.5.4 OS to the following thread!

Thanks for the help all  :)
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim