Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

RobH

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.4b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #480 on: April 02, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
Rob, what can I try on my end to see if I get the same issue you're having?

I don't think there is anything repeatable that i have done to get the freezes, they are just kind of random. The bassline was just the slop function interacting with the osc sync in a way i wouldn't have expected and is known about.

I've tried to crash the Tempest out start/stopping and pressing allsorts of buttons whilst i am doing this, changing beats, sounds, mutes  and the delay on/off but i cannot force a crash, and to be fair the crashes are not very frequent however they defo have been happenening, so i can't think of anything you can do other than jsut use the Tempest in normal functions without playlist mode to see if you also get any freezing happening over the course of a few days.

I haven't crashed since my last post on the subject so its either the same cause that was happening with the playlist error just happening much less frequently as i'm not using the playlist (so maybe something to do with the sync) or something else, I'm hoping its fixed to be honest with the same error they found for everyone else freezing, who knows?

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #481 on: April 03, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »

I don't think there is anything repeatable that i have done to get the freezes, they are just kind of random. The bassline was just the slop function interacting with the osc sync in a way i wouldn't have expected and is known about.

I've tried to crash the Tempest out start/stopping and pressing allsorts of buttons whilst i am doing this, changing beats, sounds, mutes  and the delay on/off but i cannot force a crash, and to be fair the crashes are not very frequent however they defo have been happenening, so i can't think of anything you can do other than jsut use the Tempest in normal functions without playlist mode to see if you also get any freezing happening over the course of a few days.

I haven't crashed since my last post on the subject so its either the same cause that was happening with the playlist error just happening much less frequently as i'm not using the playlist (so maybe something to do with the sync) or something else, I'm hoping its fixed to be honest with the same error they found for everyone else freezing, who knows?

We have reproduced the crash when playlist is NOT active.  This is likely related to the same issue when playlist is active.

Thanks!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #482 on: April 04, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

We have reproduced the crash when playlist is NOT active.  This is likely related to the same issue when playlist is active.

Thanks!

MOST AWESOME NEWS GOOD SIR!!!

Good shit xxx

Stoss

« Reply #483 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »
Is this a new or existing bug?

1) 16 Sounds mode
2) Set swing to 62.5%
3) Set quantize to OFF
4) Press PLAY
5) Turn on REC
6) Play a pad live while it is recording

You should hear a bunch of crazy double hits. It's apparently playing both the live pad sound as well as the just recorded / instantly mathematically swung sound as well.

^Any thoughts on this?

« Reply #484 on: April 04, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »
Is this a new or existing bug?

1) 16 Sounds mode
2) Set swing to 62.5%
3) Set quantize to OFF
4) Press PLAY
5) Turn on REC
6) Play a pad live while it is recording

You should hear a bunch of crazy double hits. It's apparently playing both the live pad sound as well as the just recorded / instantly mathematically swung sound as well.

^Any thoughts on this?
Hi Stoss,

I tried it out here and you're correct in that there is a flamming that sometimes occurs under the conditions you specified. The reason appears to be due to the way Note Quantize was implemented: all notes within a Quantize timing window surrounding the alternate 16th notes are delayed by the Swing amount. If you play the note later than where Swing will move it to, all is OK; however if you play it earlier than where Swing will move it, you'll hear the same note twice-- once where you play it live and another slightly later where it is moved to.

This implementation was a well-intended attempt by DSI to apply swing to unquantized beats, which unfortunately doesn't work so well. The basic problem is that Swing isn't really compatible with unquantized beats because unless your timing is excellent (mine isn't), sometimes your alternate 16ths are inside the "Move" window and sometimes they aren't, so it usually ends up screwing up your beats. However, it really doesn't matter. Just don't use Swing on unquantized beats. On all my drum machines included the MPCs, I never used this "timing window" method, so the Swing would only delay (add swing to) perfectly quantized alternate 16ths and therefore it never worked on unquantized beats.

Stoss

« Reply #485 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »
Hi Stoss,

I tried it out here and you're correct in that there is a flamming that sometimes occurs under the conditions you specified. The reason appears to be due to the way Note Quantize was implemented: all notes within a Quantize timing window surrounding the alternate 16th notes are delayed by the Swing amount. If you play the note later than where Swing will move it to, all is OK; however if you play it earlier than where Swing will move it, you'll hear the same note twice-- once where you play it live and another slightly later where it is moved to.

This implementation was a well-intended attempt by DSI to apply swing to unquantized beats, which unfortunately doesn't work so well. The basic problem is that Swing isn't really compatible with unquantized beats because unless your timing is excellent (mine isn't), sometimes your alternate 16ths are inside the "Move" window and sometimes they aren't, so it usually ends up screwing up your beats. However, it really doesn't matter. Just don't use Swing on unquantized beats. On all my drum machines included the MPCs, I never used this "timing window" method, so the Swing would only delay (add swing to) perfectly quantized alternate 16ths and therefore it never worked on unquantized beats.

Hi Roger.

Thanks for the reply. The bug I discovered here came from initially testing some simple beats that were unquantized and applying swing to them. I wanted to see how the method DSI put in place worked in real application. I quickly came to the same conclusion that you stated above. "Just don't use swing on unquantized beats"... because frankly, it sounds horrible. I'm actually surprised that this method was implemented. Not only is it ineffective at swinging unquantized beats, but as a bonus, it can't do what you had mentioned in an earlier post, which would allow for 16th notes to be swung while still being able to play triplets straight. It seems like the math to handle swing was put in place, but was then never tested to see how it actually works, particularly in the scenario it was a specifically designed for... unquantized beats.

This actually got me thinking about how all of this could have been handled that may have made for a better experience all around. If the parameters related to quantizing notes were a little different, I think it may have been easier to accomplish what everyone wanted. If these were settings related to how notes were placed and handled...

Record Resolution (1/4, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/16, 1/16T, 1/32, 1/32T): Chooses the recording resolution (or step locations) that your recorded notes will be recorded to.
Record Quantize (On, Off): Chooses whether the notes being recorded will have unquantized placement shifting data recorded. The length of shift applied is relative to the quantize resolution as it is recorded. For example, if you are set to 16th resolution while recording, if Record Quantize is off, notes can shift up to a 1/32 in either direction from the closest 16th note... splitting the difference to the closest available step location.
Playback Quantize (0%-100%): Reduces any unquantized placement shifting data globally across the entire beat by the percentage chosen.

...You would then be able to swing only the 16th notes located in the 2,4,6,etc. positions while still having them unquantized with the added bonus of recording with natural feel, but being able to tighten that up afterwards with the turn of a knob.

The scenario above is much like the Elektron Analog Rytm... but where the Tempest completely blows that product out of the water is by having available step resolutions up to 1/32T. The Rytm just can't touch the Tempest in terms of live performance recording because of that limitation.

Way to late for any of this now... but maybe on the next great drum machine! ;)

« Reply #486 on: April 06, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
This actually got me thinking about how all of this could have been handled that may have made for a better experience all around. If the parameters related to quantizing notes were a little different, I think it may have been easier to accomplish what everyone wanted. If these were settings related to how notes were placed and handled...

Record Resolution (1/4, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/16, 1/16T, 1/32, 1/32T): Chooses the recording resolution (or step locations) that your recorded notes will be recorded to.
Record Quantize (On, Off): Chooses whether the notes being recorded will have unquantized placement shifting data recorded. The length of shift applied is relative to the quantize resolution as it is recorded. For example, if you are set to 16th resolution while recording, if Record Quantize is off, notes can shift up to a 1/32 in either direction from the closest 16th note... splitting the difference to the closest available step location.
Playback Quantize (0%-100%): Reduces any unquantized placement shifting data globally across the entire beat by the percentage chosen.

...You would then be able to swing only the 16th notes located in the 2,4,6,etc. positions while still having them unquantized with the added bonus of recording with natural feel, but being able to tighten that up afterwards with the turn of a knob.

I personally don't see much merit in unquantized recording unless you're an excellent drummer, which most people aren't. If you're looking for the beat to feel right, I find more merit in playing the part well, specifically the ability to play the 8th or 16th hihat parts with natural-sounding velocities for each note, perhaps aided by the 16th Roll feature. Then choosing the right degree of swing is helpful. But I've never found a beat to feel better by not being quantized.

dsetto

« Reply #487 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
My favorite thing about Tempest is its ability to effortlessly capture my unquantized playing, coming across like a natural drum set. That plus the ability to record while not stopping play. Add to that, the unquantized Beats selection. And it begins with a responsive pad tied to a responsive sound.

I'm currently fighting through a 4th hand MPC 4000 that double triggers, and seems to require stopping to go from playing to recording. (To get past the double triggers I lose the finesse I can do with T.)  I digress. Just looking for an excuse to share my joy.

« Reply #488 on: April 07, 2017, 07:55:05 AM »
Shared Tempest joy is appreciated!

RobH

« Reply #489 on: April 07, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
I'm having some weird voice allocation issues.

Too deep to explain everything i did trying to get the sample to play its proper length but basically my open hat sample would only play a very short part of the sample when i choked a hat on 16ths. My allocation issue seemingly went away when i allocated a voice but there was only 1 kick and 1 hat playing other than the open hat so i wouldn't have thought it nessacary to allocate with only 3 pads playing. The ADSR wasn't working nor was AD unless i was playing the pad live (not recorded) then it played the length i held the pad, the decay etc had no effect on the sample it just played a short hit instead a proper portion of the sample allocated by the decay, release and sustain.

I just thought i'd mention it anyway incase anyone else is having these issues.

I will calibrate overnight and see if it happens again.

« Reply #490 on: April 14, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
I am currently trying to figure out which firmware i should be using but i am confused.

How is anyone supposd to know exactly what version firmware people are talking about in this thread when they are reporting bugs ?

Which one should i use ?

RobH

« Reply #491 on: April 14, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »
I am currently trying to figure out which firmware i should be using but i am confused.

How is anyone supposd to know exactly what version firmware people are talking about in this thread when they are reporting bugs ?

Which one should i use ?

Are you running into any problems with the firmware you are using right now? If not i'd say just stick with that until they release the next official release, there is literally no point in running any beta other than the latest version to help test with bugs, so it seems you have 3 options really,

a) stick with what u have if there is no bugs your running into right now
b) 1.4 the current official version (which does contain bugs but every version has slight bugs right now)
c) 1.4.5.2 and 1.5 voice which is the latest beta version (and help test it for bugs but it also has a freeezing bug that is known and should be fixed for the next version)

Depends whether you want to be a beta tester or not i guess. I don't have a timeframe for another official release but it seems they want to try and get this next official patch as soild as they can.

« Reply #492 on: April 14, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
Thanks alot for the detailed info. I'll just make sure i'm on the latest official release.
Glad it's still being worked on.

idm

« Reply #493 on: April 14, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
The latest beta is by far the most stable version. I've been using it without major issues. I'd install that one for sure. It's not just for testing. It's just the best OS at this moment imho.

Haven't had any freezes either. But I don't use the Playlist function. :)

« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2017, 01:30:05 AM »
+1 No playlist use for me too...
The latest beta is by far the most stable version. I've been using it without major issues. I'd install that one for sure. It's not just for testing. It's just the best OS at this moment imho.

Haven't had any freezes either. But I don't use the Playlist function. :)

« Reply #495 on: April 15, 2017, 01:50:05 AM »

Thanks!

« Reply #496 on: April 15, 2017, 02:14:10 AM »
Nice...Carson can you give us the steps to reproduce it so it won't happen on me in my upcoming gig?

Thanks!

dsetto

« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2017, 03:10:53 AM »
Don't fear 1.4.5.2 Main OS BETA. The more collaborative users it has, the more the upcoming final Main OS will have fewer big issues.

« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2017, 06:51:07 AM »
Don't fear 1.4.5.2 Main OS BETA. The more collaborative users it has, the more the upcoming final Main OS will have fewer big issues.

Just out of curiosity, do we have reason to believe there will be a final Main OS?  I know Dave Smith stated a few weeks back that 1.4.5.1 would be the final OS (and then of course 1.4.5.2 came along).  Wasn't sure if there was another announcement made that I might've missed that indicated they'd still be doing updates.

RobH

« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
Nice...Carson can you give us the steps to reproduce it so it won't happen on me in my upcoming gig?

Thanks!

Stop/Start as little as possible and don't stop start fast is about the only tip i can give, i think it only happens when sync'd so if you use Tempest as Master you should be fine.