Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.4b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #460 on: March 29, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
Thanks, Dave. It is very gratifying to see Tempest used so widely in live performance, which was my intent.

And I'm looking forward to seeing my future instruments too. :)

Roger. The Tempest changed my life. Thank you.

Stoss

« Reply #461 on: March 29, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »
Is this a new or existing bug?

1) 16 Sounds mode
2) Set swing to 62.5%
3) Set quantize to OFF
4) Press PLAY
5) Turn on REC
6) Play a pad live while it is recording

You should hear a bunch of crazy double hits. It's apparently playing both the live pad sound as well as the just recorded / instantly mathematically swung sound as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:54:07 PM by Stoss »

« Reply #462 on: March 29, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
By mentioning the Linn 9000, you have identified your age! :)

It's always a trick finding the sweet spot between features and price. Ikutaro Kakehashi, the founder of Roland and one of the wisest and kindest people I've ever met, told me once that it's easier to make a product that has everything, but much harder to make the difficult choices and creative compromises required to deliver just enough functionality for a price people can afford. My personal goal with my instruments is to have a positive impact on music, but often the musicians who end up making that positive impact have the least money before they get there. So I don't really want to make the no-compromise drum machine that only a doctor or lawyer can afford.

Sometimes I jokingly say that if I won the lottery, I'd do the same thing I do now except that:
1) I'd spend the money required to make each product perfect,
2) I'd price the products at whatever price people say they want to pay for them, and
3) I'd simply lose money every month. :)

Hahaha... i'm showing my age too. I was at Goodman's Music in North Hollywood on Lankershim when they received the first Linn-9000 you shipped. If I recall your office was not far from them. I watched at they set it up and played the demo. My mind was officially blown, lol !!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
We have reproduced the crash bug when externally sync'd and playlist is active.  We will be investigating this further and will provide more info as it becomes available.

Thanks!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #464 on: March 30, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
We have reproduced the crash bug when externally sync'd and playlist is active.  We will be investigating this further and will provide more info as it becomes available.

Thanks!

Hi Carson & DSI, 

Thank you for pursuing this bug, especially since detailed data has been lacking in helping to nail it down. I look forward to hearing what the actual cause was, and if it can be resolved.

dsetto

« Reply #465 on: March 31, 2017, 02:30:11 AM »
We have reproduced the crash bug when externally sync'd and playlist is active. ...
Greatly appreciated, DSI.

dsetto

« Reply #466 on: March 31, 2017, 03:01:49 AM »
... especially since detailed data has been lacking in helping to nail it down. ...
Grunes, I appreciated and was intrigued by your efforts. As Support immediately addressed my ticket, I didn't continue here.

« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2017, 04:22:59 AM »
... especially since detailed data has been lacking in helping to nail it down. ...
Grunes, I appreciated and was intrigued by your efforts. As Support immediately addressed my ticket, I didn't continue here.

Hi dsetto,

And I yours, especially since you were able to give some detail to the process which could reproduce the problem. Anyway fingers crossed things can be resolved.

RobH

« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
I have just frozen again, i was sync'd to abelton, it froze when i changed beats and was pressing the delay/on off button at the same time, again no real insight into what else i was doing when it froze, sorry for the lame report thats as much information as i have, i was running a sawtooth bassline i was messing with the delay and accidently changed beats and it froze.

dsetto

« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
Rob, was Playlist active?

RobH

« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
Rob, was Playlist active?

No i dont use it, ever.

dsetto

« Reply #471 on: March 31, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
... i was sync'd to abelton, it froze when i changed beats and was pressing the delay/on off button at the same time, ...

The 'changing beats' while something else is what's calling my attention.

RobH

« Reply #472 on: March 31, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
... i was sync'd to abelton, it froze when i changed beats and was pressing the delay/on off button at the same time, ...

The 'changing beats' while something else is what's calling my attention.

Yeah, i personally think its something to do with the sync, im not a programmer but these crashes seem to happen when i'm either changing beat or stop/starting ususally stop/starting. I don't have much insight other than that lmao.

idm

« Reply #473 on: March 31, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »
It's best to try and find the cause and then post it. So try to replicate it. Another good thing about that is, you'll know how to work around it in the meantime.

It's too vague now.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #474 on: March 31, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »
The crash/stall can occur when externally sync'd, playlist on, and on beat transitions when the playlist step length is less than the total number of bars in a beat.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #475 on: April 01, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
The crash/stall can occur when externally sync'd, playlist on, and on beat transitions when the playlist step length is less than the total number of bars in a beat.

Did you manage to find the same problem happening sometimes when the playlist isn't active? Just out of interest?

dsetto

« Reply #476 on: April 01, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »

Excellent!  I'm impressed how you DSI guys found that correlation - and fast! I just verified it on my end.

I do not need to have a Playlist step length be shorter than its Beat length (when externally sync'd). I am happy to abide by the rule: when externally sync'd, Playlist Step Length must be = or > Beat Length.

(For all the freezes I reported on 3/28, the Playlist had Steps with lengths less than their Beat's length.)

dsetto

« Reply #477 on: April 01, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
I assessed some aspects of Tempest Main Beta 1.4.5.2 USB-externally sync'd. Results were excellent.

At 120bpm:
- Perfect SPP correspondence
- No drift, no freezes

I am feeling confident about Tempest's externally synced' ability.

This is not an April Fools message. I'm not funny that way.

RobH

« Reply #478 on: April 01, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
I assessed some aspects of Tempest Main Beta 1.4.5.2 USB-externally sync'd. Results were excellent.

At 120bpm:
- Perfect SPP correspondence
- No drift, no freezes

I am feeling confident about Tempest's externally synced' ability.

This is not an April Fools message. I'm not funny that way.

Well i've still experienced numerous freezes never once using the playlist so i hope whatever bug they found was fixed for non playlist freezes also, it is very good sync'd tho time keeping wise etc, i was however getting some weird bug when i was making a bassline earlier that i couldnt explain like the voices kept changing pitch over an octave but when held for a a certain length of time, i calibrated my voices and will retest it tommorow see if im still getting the bizzare behaviour I couldn't explain.

edit- so i ran some quick tests and what i deemed to be "weird behaviour" was atcually the slop function with the caveat that 2>1 sync was enabled and the addition of the sub osc also, it seems to not drift and then at a certain threshold jump to the higher frequency osciilator if that makes sense instead of a constant drift between the 2 osc  (which sounds fucking aweseome i might add), anyway i think this is normal, just, well don't use slop and 2>1sync.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:25:51 PM by RobH »

dsetto

« Reply #479 on: April 02, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
Rob, what can I try on my end to see if I get the same issue you're having?