Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

Stoss

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.4b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #420 on: March 17, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
RobH. Thanks for this post about the Roll. I hadn't ever closely listened for this effect. I'll now pay attention and have a fix for it if I come  across it!

dsetto

« Reply #421 on: March 17, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
Quick follow-up to my recent drift inquiry. I just did 7mins at 120bpm, totally tight, no-drift, groovy sync. (Different USB cable, rest same.)

RobH

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #422 on: March 17, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »
I just thought I lost another Project of edits. I believe that the first time I try to save a Project, the Save menu is defaulting to the Factory folder - regardless of where the Project has been loaded from.  I believe this is a side effect of alphabetizing the Folder options.

At any rate, I've loaded a Project from my Projects1 folder, made a new beat. Save the Project (only really noticing the Project name is the same), turned of the machine, came back to the Projects1/<my project> and loaded it - where's my stuff?!  Turns out I unknowingly wrote it to the Factory folder of Projects.  Writing it to the Factory folder should have required some conscious intervention on my part, but I think Tempest defaulted to Factory for me.

I just repeated the behavior:

1) Load a Project from Projects1 Folder
2) Play a beat
3) Save/Load -> Save Project
4) The menu defaults to saving the Project in the Factory folder.  It should not do this. It should default to the Folder from which the Project was loaded.

One could argue that Factory is a fine default, like MacOS defaulting to save everything to your Documents folder by default, but I think the best option is to offer to save the Project to the Folder from whence it came.

Once you have saved a project once, then it picks the correct folder, until you turn it off and then you need to again save it in the right folder once, saves after this pick the right folder so u can spam save. u can always delete the odd save mistake in factory i guess.

« Reply #423 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
Hmm... Vindicating to know that the LFO sync was in fact broken.  Ahem! 

<Moderator edit: keep things constructive and on topic.>

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:56:24 PM by Robot Heart »

« Reply #424 on: March 21, 2017, 12:15:35 AM »
Hmm... Vindicating to know that the LFO sync was in fact broken.  Ahem!  I don't suppose dotted 8th's got added in the process?

<Moderator edit: again, keep things constructive and on topic>

*And to the moderator who edited this post once already - last I checked, this thread is for reporting bugs, and the above three points are indeed proven bugs.  I attacked no one, used appropriate language, and have contributed more to this particular thread, on the community's behalf, than anyone else.

Again I say, it seems we're being overly policed here lately.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:14:23 AM by Robot Heart »

« Reply #425 on: March 21, 2017, 01:33:11 AM »
Your contributions have nothing to do with your attitude. This thread is for bug reports, period.

This forum is owned and maintained by DSI, and we intend to have it free of contagious toxic vitriol. We're not here to censor your opinion, and you are free to post on topic, relevant comments. But, you must present them in a constructive manner. There's a "complaint box" thread already.

Let it be known that we are stepping in from here on out to keep our forum a friendly place for everyone to engage.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #426 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:21 AM »
Having tested the latest beta, it's my opinion that if any more bugs are to be addressed, the following five should be considered a priority.  As minimal as they may seem at a glance, these remaining issues are a liability when physically playing the Tempest in a live performance situation.

1·       If you accidentally hit the 16 Beats or 16 Mutes button first, when trying to enter 16 tunings or 16 Levels mode, the Roll function automatically disengages – mode changes should happen upon the button’s release in order to prevent this.

2·       In 16 Tunings mode, when the sequencer is stopped, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

3·       In 16 Levels mode, when the sequencer is stopped, the Arp allows notes to be triggered outside of the selected quantize value, which creates undesirable flams when trying to depress multiple notes at once, or when adding new notes to the arpeggio.  Also, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

4·       When recording with the Arp in 16 Levels mode, the held pads blink in succession with each note trigger as expected; but after the first pass of the sequence is recorded, only pad 16 blinks.  *In all other Arp modes, the pads continue to blink in the order they were depressed/recorded as expected.

24·      When you set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only', if you mute a pad that contains a sequence and then attempt to play that same sound live in 16 Tunings mode, turning the Mixer Level knob causes the sound to cut-out.

28·      While a sequence is playing, in '16 Time Steps' mode, on the 'Events' screen, disengaging the "Loop Screen" function causes the tempest flip-out for a second: i.e. all the pads light-up in rapid succession and the beat stutters.  Sync, however, is maintained.

Though there are still some relatively obtrusive bugs related to the compressor envelope and the external sequencer, I think it's fair to say that those features were never part of the original design, and there's little consequence to simply not using them.  The above five bugs, however, are real functional concerns and ought to be fixed.

Ask for it, folks!  We're almost there...

Cheers!

*Edit: I also think that dotted 8th's should be added to the LFO sync parameter, given that it's the single most common syncopation in music, and its omission was not deliberate but rather an oversight.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:49:57 AM by John the Savage »

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #427 on: March 21, 2017, 08:49:37 PM »
I had this posted on another thread...http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1261.msg14657.html#msg14657

thought to move it here...couldn't delete or edit the post above. sorry for the dupe.

March 19
Last night I had a few freezes every time I triggered a pad manually. I also had all OSC pitch extremely high and total voice loss when using a specific sound pad.

SO- I will reinstall the O/S and Voice firmware. Then test. If failed then remove that sound from my project. Then Test. If that fails I will recreate the project. Note that none pf the sounds were saved individually and all created for the performance of the project. I had copied the beat in question across a few beat pads and had the same results.

It was a specific sound in a project I completed so I may have to recreate the project or just delete the sound. I've got zero time now to test (moving across the country) but will explore this in a month.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:52:14 PM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #428 on: March 23, 2017, 06:37:41 AM »
Main OS 1.4.5.1
Fixed Bug: Sending SPP and Continue when playlist active causes wrong beat to play in playlist
Fixed Bug: Sending SPP and Continue with playlist off does not locate to correct measure in loaded beat

Thank you to John the Savage, Roger Linn, Chris and everyone else for you time in trying to fix and advance the Tempest OS.
I was happy to see any SPP bugs were supposedly fixed in the latest version. However, upon installing Tempest OS 1.4.5.1 my problems returned. Were as previously the Tempest would occasionally freeze, it now ocassionally hangs for a brief period before jumping ahead usually by 2 bars in advance of were it should be, or just jump ahead without hanging. ...

Sounds important.

Looks like possible user error and/or corruption somewhere within my setup.

In one last attempt at finding a solution, I reinstalled all software on computer from scratch and also substituted hardware when possible. This time-consuming process has resulted in the problems above looking like they have cleared up, although I still couldn’t pin the actual cause down.

So, thank you DSI for latest update (Main_1.4.5.2), it seems to be working well so far.

RobH

« Reply #429 on: March 23, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
I am also experiencing a lot of freezes with the new beta patch 1.4.5.2 but i cannot put my finger on anything specific i am doing.

I was changing my tempest from slave to master and i got a freeze, i'll start listing here what i am doing when it freezes to see if i can see any pattern, its defo freezing a lot more than it was though, total freeze hardboot needed to get it going again.

Stoss

« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
I don't know that this is anything new, but given my most recent comments on Swing being applied to Beat Roll, I thought I'd get nice and cozy with the swing on roll that we do have which was added within the last year. I stumbled across some oddities.

With the swing set to 62.5% (got a nice strong shuffle going) I had a kick and snare doing a simple beat, but interesting enough that they both took advantage of the swing here and there. When I turned on my Roll and entered some hi-hats, quantized to 16th, they sounded good live, and sounded good recorded. I then started messing with some other quantize settings... Like triplets, 32nd, etc. They all ignored the swing played live, but all seemed to be affected by it once recorded.

Here is a list of how things behave with swing set to 62.5%:
Quant: 4th    - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)
Quant: 8th    - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)
Quant: 8T     - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (affected)
Quant: 16th  - LIVE (affected) SEQ (affected)
Quant: 16T   - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (affected)
Quant: 32nd - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (affected)
Quant: 32T   - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (affected)

I'm guessing that the math on the SEQuencer side of things affects everything that utilizes any positioning within 16th notes and above, which is why the 4th and 8th notes get by unscathed. And I'm guessing that the math on the LIVE performance side of things was only written to apply to 16th notes as they get entered. So I get the limitations here... but... does anyone find it odd that intended triplet patterns would be swung after they have been recorded? Not only that, but the 32nd notes swung sounds really strange as well. Musically speaking of course... not mathematically speaking.

Musically, I would expect things to behave like this with swing set to 62.5%:
Quant: 4th    - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)
Quant: 8th    - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)
Quant: 8T     - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)
Quant: 16th  - LIVE (affected) SEQ (affected)
Quant: 16T   - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)
Quant: 32nd - LIVE (maybe?) SEQ (maybe?)
Quant: 32T   - LIVE (not affected) SEQ (not affected)

I know that based on the machine structure, it's near impossible and could probably only be implemented by being able to selectively turn swing on and off per sound or per step... almost like it would record the the swing percentage as a parameter value per step.

I know I'm well out of my league here, and I'm sure this is something that will never be any different than it is... but I wanted to throw it out there and see what other's thought. I guess this explains the more complex swing parameter implementation on the Elektron Analog Rytm.

« Reply #431 on: March 23, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
Hi Stoss,
The Swing control has a very simple action: It takes straight 16th notes that are recorded into the beat and delays the alternate ones (#2, #4, #6, etc.) by a specific delay time relative to the tempo. It only affects playback and doesn't alter the beat contents. For example, at 66%, it delays alternate straight 16th notes to fall on 16th triplets. At 50%, it doesn't delay them at all. That's it.
Yes, there are edge cases where it can do unintended things. For example, if you record a string of 32nd notes and add swing, it will delay every 3rd 32nd note within each group of 4; and if you record 16th triplets with 16T Quantize, it won't affect them. But I think that's a small price to pay for the ability to turn a knob and dial in any swing amount you want in real time.

idm

« Reply #432 on: March 23, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »
Hi Roger! Thanks for taking the time to explain how these things work and why they are implemented the way they are. The latest beta is really good and running like a charm. The fixed lfo sync propelled the Tempest even further into greatness. I'm having so much fun with it as a groove box and poly synth. It's capable of very unique sounds.

I have a question regarding time signatures on functions. Was is it intended that lfo only has dotted quarter notes and not dotted 8ths?and for beat roll and quantise settings? I guess dotted would be harder to implement as quantise setting. Would be very nice to have more dotted options in the LFO's though since it would introduce the possibility for polymeter like structures.

Thanks again for this machine and the energy you have put in!

Stoss

« Reply #433 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
Hi Stoss,
The Swing control has a very simple action: It takes straight 16th notes that are recorded into the beat and delays the alternate ones (#2, #4, #6, etc.) by a specific delay time relative to the tempo. It only affects playback and doesn't alter the beat contents. For example, at 66%, it delays alternate straight 16th notes to fall on 16th triplets. At 50%, it doesn't delay them at all. That's it.
Yes, there are edge cases where it can do unintended things. For example, if you record a string of 32nd notes and add swing, it will delay every 3rd 32nd note within each group of 4; and if you record 16th triplets with 16T Quantize, it won't affect them. But I think that's a small price to pay for the ability to turn a knob and dial in any swing amount you want in real time.

Thanks Roger. For all practical purposes, turning the swing knob to give an already established beat just the right amount of swing is just how I'd like to use it. Playing live 16th notes with the swing applied to them while playing and after they've been recorded is also pretty typical. Sometimes I'll play some 16th triplets over top for effect, but I typically won't record them... If I wanted to record those 16th triplets, that would be about the closest case scenario to it not sounding correct on playback.

If swing were applied to Beat Roll, I assume it would be similar to the swing that was added to individual Sound Roll, whereas it only seems to affect the live entry of 16th notes. That would probably be about the most practical application... But, from what I gather we are far beyond that ever happening. :(

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Stoss

« Reply #434 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
if you record 16th triplets with 16T Quantize, it won't affect them.

Hi Roger.

I tested this again and it doesn't seem right. If you record 16th Triplets into the Tempest using Quantize of 16T it sounds good with swing set to 50%. When you turn up the swing it effects those 16th Triplet notes... It seems to push the 2nd and 3rd triplet both toward the upcoming 1st triplet in the next grouping. When adjusting swing, instead of only affecting 16th notes at the #2, #4, #6 etc. locations, it seems to rather be affecting all things that are not at the #1, #3, #5, etc. locations.

Please test and clarify if you can. Thanks!

smak

« Reply #435 on: March 26, 2017, 11:50:09 PM »
Hi,

yesterday I wanted to upload the funk Project preset  as I mostly did in the past via USB. After the upload has been finished (SysexLibrian) The Tempest still waited  and said "Recieving Project File". I was confusing me so I tried some Sounds and that worked. Then I tried different Beats of mine which I had backuped and again the T did not recognize when the upload has been finished.

Then I switched from USB Midi to Din Midi an all worked.
It seems there is a minor bug with sysex handling using usb. The Tempest then does not "find" the end of the transmission so it still waits for data to come.

I am on Beta OS 1.4.5.2 / Voice 1.5

« Reply #436 on: March 26, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »
Hi,

yesterday I wanted to upload the funk Project preset  as I mostly did in the past via USB. After the upload has been finished (SysexLibrian) The Tempest still waited  and said "Recieving Project File". I was confusing me so I tried some Sounds and that worked. Then I tried different Beats of mine which I had backuped and again the T did not recognize when the upload has been finished.

It seems there is a minor bug with sysex handling using usb. The Tempest then does not "find" the end of the transmission so it still waits for data to come.

That is a question of the software + transfer speed.

smak

« Reply #437 on: March 27, 2017, 01:03:18 AM »
Hi,

That is a question of the software + transfer speed.

Since  I have the Tempest (and thats almost 6 Years) I used SysexLibrian at fullspeed. In this case  I have also testet many diferent Treansfer speed settings.

RobH

« Reply #438 on: March 27, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
Unfotunately another freeze happened to my tempest, I had been running the same loop for a good few minutes without touching the tempest, i was sync'd to live and i was in the event screen when it froze although it had been left like that for some minutes while i tinkered with other instruments, the only thing i can think i did was stop and start abelton, then the Tempest just froze.

Sorry I have no more details about this but i hadn't touched it for some minutes.

There is some noise coming from the tempest like a slight noise i might have had going on a lfo or modulation/envelope that is still eminating from my Tempest but screen is frozen as are all other functions, a hard boot is needed again.

dsetto

« Reply #439 on: March 28, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »

Rob, I am also getting freezes with 1.4.5.2.

I need to do a lot of troubleshooting to ensure it's not a unique user configuration that's causing my freezes.

My freezes occur when syncing Tempest in Playlist mode to Logic Pro 10.3.0 via direct USB. Everything I can think of that is not needed in Tempest and Logic is off. 16 Beats, Events, and Click are also engaged. Tempo is 120bpm. I am simply pressing play in Logic, then observing. I am not tweaking either Logic nor Tempest. Freezes generally occur around m30-50.

I simplified my setup by disconnecting my Digidesign 003 FireWire interface, instead, using laptop's headphone out to hear Logic's click. And I removed a USB hub that had a few dongles connected. And, I tried 2 different USB cables, and both MBP USB ports. I also tried without Click, with Pads view instead of Events, and 16 Sounds instead of 16 Beats. I tried with a brand new Logic Project, containing only 1 audio track. (And restarted, and disconnected, reconnected cables.) The common thread was slaving while in Playlist mode results in freeze. 12 freezes out of 13 attempts. Freeze did not occur when I was in Beats Mode, and not in Playlist mode.

Tomorrow I will try a different computer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:55:28 AM by dsetto »