Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports

cbmd

• Sequential
Tempest Main 1.5.0.2 and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
Hi all,

Please post any bugs you might encounter on the Main 1.4.2.5b and Voice 1.5 OS files in this thread. 

We would appreciate if you would give a general description of the bug as well as detailed steps to reproduce.  This will make it easier to keep track of and resolve any potential issues prior to the OS' official release.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:34:28 PM by cbmd »
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

Re: Tempest Main 1.4.0.15b and Voice 1.5 - Bug Reports
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
Many thanks _

Can we go directly to 1.5 version ?

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the update!
Not a bug but more like an objection...When i use soft knob 4 to load a new sound, screen displays the full path of the sound including it's type.The problem with it is i can't see which sound i'm loading cause the file names are long and get cut.
Back to the test drive...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:16:12 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
Hello and thanks for the update! Not a bug, but a missing undocumented(?) roll feature/bug side effect I've been constantly using in previous OS: looping beat when using Beat FX as roll in BEAT/MUTE mode you could switch to SOUND/TUNINGS without releasing ribbon with roll assigned, in effect being able to trigger pads in SOUND/TUNINGS mode (also with roll/arp!) while having "latched" beat roll (looping) in the background. Very useful live, to the point I'd rather have all the bugs and this feature than otherwise :) Hope that is not necessary and we can have this behaviour back with known roll-related bugs fixed. OR putting it another way - latch still doesn't work for BEAT FX set to ROLL, but previously you could made the aforementioned trick. Thanks again, this is the best instrument EVER created for live performance!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:33:46 PM by Bras »

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:56:13 AM »
2 things:

1) Now that the swing is applied to the roll/arp (awesome), would it be possible to have the swing parameter appear while on the arp screen?  I noticed that there is a blank spot under soft knob 2 where it would fit, assuming it's not too difficult to implement.  As it is now, you have to go back into 16 sounds mode to adjust the swing, then back into arp mode, which doesn't flow very well.

2)  In 16 sounds mode, the labels for the pads on the screen no longer change as I scroll through the folders using soft knob 3.  I could be misunderstanding what I read, but I thought the labels would now accurately reflect which sound folder you're in at all times.

Very happy to see this update though.  Just having swing on the arp is a huge improvement (haven't dug too much farther than that yet).

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:45:22 AM »
You have to hold shift in order for the folder option to appear.
2)  In 16 sounds mode, the labels for the pads on the screen no longer change as I scroll through the folders using soft knob 3.  I could be misunderstanding what I read, but I thought the labels would now accurately reflect which sound folder you're in at all times.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 02:10:35 AM »
Hey Guys, maybe I'm misunderstanding this bug fix:

"31: Pressure mod source for sliders is bipolar, should only be unipolar". 

I'm still finding that when using slider pressure for NoteFX (osc pitch is the best one to demonstrate) the pitch rises as you increase pressure, until it reaches a point where it drops (kind of "wraps around").  If you then apply still more pressure it continues to rise again.  Is this what was meant by "bipolar" ?  If so, it doesn't appear to be fixed and in any case, there is still a bug with the pressure on all 4 sliders, I believe.  If memory serves it's not an issue when slider pressure is used in Mod Paths, it's only an issue with NoteFX.  J :)

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »
Looks like its a bug. When i save my composition ( lets say ) in project 1 than scroll through other project and back to project 1, i found my composition have a duplication and several time i scroll through other project and back again to project 1 the duplication is not there but if i keep scrolling, the duplication is there again.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »
Yes, sorry about that. That bug had been fixed but somehow got unfixed shortly before the beta was released. It is on our list of things to correct, and affects slider pressure on both Note FX and Beat FX.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 04:04:37 AM »
Thanks for that Roger.  Another important note: last time I checked, the slide pressure doesn't work at all on sliders 2 to 4 if slider mode is set to real-time.  Works for all 4 if set to step though.  J :)

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
I found a folders bug..This happens for example if you have more than one beats saved in Factory-Beats 1-Beats 2 folders.Hit save/load->Load file->Beat->Turn soft knob 2 to see your Beats 1 folder->Turn again to see beats 2 folder->Turn back to Beats 1 folder...ooops duplicate->Turn to Factory and back to Beats 1...duplicate's gone...
Also i'd like to mention a screen lag when turning fast soft knob 2 (folder) if you're in Sound (type).

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
I found a folders bug..This happens for example if you have more than one beats saved in Factory-Beats 1-Beats 2 folders.Hit save/load->Load file->Beat->Turn soft knob 2 to see your Beats 1 folder->Turn again to see beats 2 folder->Turn back to Beats 1 folder...ooops duplicate->Turn to Factory and back to Beats 1...duplicate's gone...
Also i'd like to mention a screen lag when turning fast soft knob 2 (folder) if you're in Sound (type).
Hi Yorgos--
I just tried your steps and wasn't able to reproduce the problem. I saved 2 beat files each in the beat folders Factory, Beats1 and Beats2 (all different files), then hit Save/Load > Load File > Beat, then changed between those 3 beat folders and couldn't get a duplicate file to appear. Is there anything else you can tell me to reproduce it?
Regarding the screen lag, I'm afraid that's an artifact of the alphabetization and unfortunately can't be improved.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »
Thanks for that Roger.  Another important note: last time I checked, the slide pressure doesn't work at all on sliders 2 to 4 if slider mode is set to real-time.  Works for all 4 if set to step though.  J :)
Hi soid--
What do you mean by "setting slider mode to real-time"? And you said the problem occurred the last time you checked; were you using this new beta version at that time?

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
Hi Roger and thanks for your quick reply & support,
I've attached a video of the bug to help you out.

Thanks for everything ;-)
Yorgos
Hi Yorgos--
I just tried your steps and wasn't able to reproduce the problem. I saved 2 beat files each in the beat folders Factory, Beats1 and Beats2 (all different files), then hit Save/Load > Load File > Beat, then changed between those 3 beat folders and couldn't get a duplicate file to appear. Is there anything else you can tell me to reproduce it?
Regarding the screen lag, I'm afraid that's an artifact of the alphabetization and unfortunately can't be improved.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
Hi Yorgos--
Excellent! I was able to reproduce it:
Save 2 beat files to an empty Beat folder (or 2 project files to an empty project folder), delete one of them, then select "Load File" to view the folder contents. Notice that the remaining file appears twice and you can't select the second one. The problem remains until you turn power off then on. This problem exists for both Beat and Project files, but not for Sound files.
Thank you!

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
Glad i helped!
Hi Yorgos--
Excellent! I was able to reproduce it:
Save 2 beat files to an empty Beat folder (or 2 project files to an empty project folder), delete one of them, then select "Load File" to view the folder contents. Notice that the remaining file appears twice and you can't select the second one. The problem remains until you turn power off then on. This problem exists for both Beat and Project files, but not for Sound files.
Thank you!

blewis

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
<user deleted - I deleted a bug report here because it was user error I think - Leaving the next part>

<this next part is real I believe>

I also had something very puzzling happen - after I did something, I lost access to select the Mixer. The Pad and Sounds buttons would light up, but the screen would not switch to Mixer.  On this Project, I have found I can replicate the behavior by hitting Shift-Compressor knob turn to get me into the special compressor menu. Once I get there, I can never get back to the Mixer screen. I see a flash/flicker on the screen and then it returns to the compressor menu.

So I just replicated it with another Project not known to be "acting strange". Once I use Shift-Compressor knob turn, I can never get the Mix Screen - even if I load another Project. I have to power cycle to ever get a Mix screen again.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:09:35 PM by blewis »

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
Hi Blewis--

Sorry, I was unable to reproduce the "save project" problem by following your steps. When I do the same steps here and reload the project, the changed sound and "16 Tunings" settings both come back fine. Can you get the problem to happen if you start by loading one of the factory Projects?

Regarding the Mixer display problem, I was able to verify it here and have added it to our bug list-- thanks!

blewis

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 06:36:47 PM »
Hi Blewis--

Sorry, I was unable to reproduce the "save project" problem by following your steps. When I do the same steps here and reload the project, the changed sound and "16 Tunings" settings both come back fine. Can you get the problem to happen if you start by loading one of the factory Projects?

Thanks for checking Roger. Embarrassingly, shortly after I posted the first part, I found my problem to be me getting confused about what Beat I was on after reloading the Project/Beat with the same Sound. I was hoping to erase it from history before anyone caught me. You're fast! 

Thanks for the hard work!

blewis

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 05:13:13 AM »
I just thought I lost another Project of edits. I believe that the first time I try to save a Project, the Save menu is defaulting to the Factory folder - regardless of where the Project has been loaded from.  I believe this is a side effect of alphabetizing the Folder options.

At any rate, I've loaded a Project from my Projects1 folder, made a new beat. Save the Project (only really noticing the Project name is the same), turned of the machine, came back to the Projects1/<my project> and loaded it - where's my stuff?!  Turns out I unknowingly wrote it to the Factory folder of Projects.  Writing it to the Factory folder should have required some conscious intervention on my part, but I think Tempest defaulted to Factory for me.

I just repeated the behavior:

1) Load a Project from Projects1 Folder
2) Play a beat
3) Save/Load -> Save Project
4) The menu defaults to saving the Project in the Factory folder.  It should not do this. It should default to the Folder from which the Project was loaded.

One could argue that Factory is a fine default, like MacOS defaulting to save everything to your Documents folder by default, but I think the best option is to offer to save the Project to the Folder from whence it came.