Prophet 6 - Preset light issue.

Prophet 6 - Preset light issue.
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:36:07 AM »
Hello :)

I recently purchased a Prophet 6.
From day one, a hand full of knobs have been extremely loose. Sequential offered to send me down new knobs that I can solder them myself, or take to a tech.

My main concern is that I have two extra preset lights lit up at all times. They are only lit at about 50 % of the brightness that the preset lights are normally at. This is going to be really frustrating in a dark club. Having three lights on verses 1 is a little concerning. This is what sequential said,

"The issue you noted with the LEDs is related to a change in software to accommodate changes made to the panel PC boards over time. Depending on which OS is currently running on the synth, the LED issue may or not be present. Again, this does not indicate a fault with the instrument and is considered expected."

Has anyone else experienced this or what know OS I should load?

I haven't even had this synths for a month. It's brand new pretty much.

I'll attach photos so you can see my issue.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:45:58 AM by chysn »

Re: Prophet 6 - Preset light issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 07:38:58 AM »
Hello :)

I recently purchased a Prophet 6.
From day one, a hand full of knobs have been extremely loose. Sequential offered to send me down new knobs that I can solder them myself, or take to a tech.

My main concern is that I have two extra preset lights lit up at all times. They are only lit at about 50 % of the brightness that the preset lights are normally at. This is going to be really frustrating in a dark club. Having three lights on verses 1 is a little concerning. This is what sequential said,

"The issue you noted with the LEDs is related to a change in software to accommodate changes made to the panel PC boards over time. Depending on which OS is currently running on the synth, the LED issue may or not be present. Again, this does not indicate a fault with the instrument and is considered expected."

I haven't even had this synths for a month. It's brand new pretty much.

I'll attach photos so you can see my issue.

Thanks

Sequential considers these issues "normal". However, they are not normal. It doesn't matter that these "minor imperfections" do not impact the sound quality. Having knobs that wobble and dimly lit leds is simply unacceptable. This is 4+ years after Sequential are aware of the problem. That was the reason I regretfully returned my beloved Prophet 6.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:40:51 AM by Spacesynth »

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 08:52:25 AM »
This is what sequential said,

v 1.7.5 is the latest.  I've never seen the issue you described occur on my unit, but given Sequential's advice I would definitely start with the latest OS.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,97.0.html
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 12:05:28 AM »

v 1.7.5 is the latest.  I've never seen the issue you described occur on my unit, but given Sequential's advice I would definitely start with the latest OS.

So many P6 users have that issue. I know that for a fact. It is an issue even for the OB-6. Sequential acknowledge the problem but refuse to offer a solution. What they replied was: "This is actually already on our software team's radar, however, I can't guarantee when this change can be implemented. Please let me know if you have further questions." Apparently, it has been on their software team's radar since 2018 but the radar has failed to take any actions so far. They consider the issue "an insignificant minor freak with no relation to the sound quality". As I said, this is totally unacceptable for a $3500 synth.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 04:59:26 AM »

So many P6 users have that issue. I know that for a fact. It is an issue even for the OB-6. Sequential acknowledge the problem but refuse to offer a solution. What they replied was: "This is actually already on our software team's radar, however, I can't guarantee when this change can be implemented. Please let me know if you have further questions." Apparently, it has been on their software team's radar since 2018 but the radar has failed to take any actions so far. They consider the issue "an insignificant minor freak with no relation to the sound quality". As I said, this is totally unacceptable for a $3500 synth.

Perhaps but I was addressing your question as to what OS you need or the experience of others.  I'm simply suggesting start with the latest version... maybe work your way backward in version numbers from that to see the results of each version.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 06:19:38 AM »

Perhaps but I was addressing your question as to what OS you need or the experience of others.  I'm simply suggesting start with the latest version... maybe work your way backward in version numbers from that to see the results of each version.

Unfortunately, switching to older versions has been tried and it does not work. And the newest version also seems to show the same result. Not to mention if an indicator is flashing on, its neighbouring indicators also seem illuminated and in a darker room it creates an impression that these buttons are engaged.