Best Prophet for trance and house music?

sacguy71

• synth enthusiast
Best Prophet for trance and house music?
« on: November 23, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for a good poly synth that has decent supersaw/hypersaw capable features to play house and trance music. What Prophet model would be best for this trance style music? I know that the Roland synths were first ones to do trance but wanted to find out if Prophet or OB6 would work or what model is best? So confusing with too many different models.
Oberheim OB X-8
Access Virus TI2
Squarp Hapax
Electron Rytm MK2
Moog Sub 37
Elektron Digitone
Elektron Analog 4
Tons of Eurorack modular

LPF83

Re: Best Prophet for trance and house music?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:47:28 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking for a good poly synth that has decent supersaw/hypersaw capable features to play house and trance music. What Prophet model would be best for this trance style music? I know that the Roland synths were first ones to do trance but wanted to find out if Prophet or OB6 would work or what model is best? So confusing with too many different models.

IMHO analog synths are not the best tool for the job when it comes to trance sounds.  As you mentioned, the Roland JP-8000, Access Virus (or similar VA synth) is going to bring a certain characteristic and digital artifacts to the sound that won't be present on a Prophet.. in many cases you could achieve similar results with some work, but to me it wouldn't make a lot of sense to buy a pricier analog synth to try to force it to punch below its weight class.

Of the synths in Sequential's current lineup (at least of the Sequential synths I own), the Prophet Rev2 might be the best at trance-oriented sounds due to the DCOs instead of VCOs and all the modulation options.

For newer synth offerings, I would look at the Waldorf Kyra, a very powerful FPGA based synth that has that classic trance sound.  The Hydrasynth is another one that can do supersaws and other types of sounds often found in EDM genres, and offers a lot of bang for the buck.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:49:14 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC