Sequential Prophet VS

Sacred Synthesis

Sequential Prophet VS
« on: November 19, 2021, 06:46:37 AM »
This video warms the cockles in my little Evolver heart.  I don't care about the "best digital synth ever made" claim.  But the VS, the father of the Poly Evolver, still strikes me as totally unique, distinctive, and musically thrilling.  I don't know why, since I'm generally not impressed by digital wave shapes, but this line of instruments has got me hooked, so that I can happily listen to the more musical VS/Evolver videos all night long.

If Dave reissued this instrument, I'd be second in line to buy one.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:56:04 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Sequential Prophet VS
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 03:39:58 PM »
Not hoping for a direct reissue but I think with the Pro 3's wavetable oscillator, it would be a good foundation as the next evolution to VS from Sequential. I mean the Wavestate has the VS waveforms and vectoring ability but still. I really hope we see we get another hybrid from Sequential. I think it's one of the few things that's missing from Sequential's current lineup. The other being a modern analog VCO powerhouse and maybe a new drum machine

chysn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 07:33:40 PM »
I've always loved the look and sound of the Prophet VS. Best digital synth ever? Maybe. I think Korg Prophecy is on that short list*. That's the instrument that originally got me into monosynths. But really, the best digital synth ever is probably iPad which, incidentally, has a nice VS app (iProphet by Arturia).

I don't have space for another keyboard, but a VS reissue would surely get me thinking.

* Prophecy suffered from poor build quality. They're hard to find these days without chipped silk-screening, scratched screens, faded and/or cracked chassis, which is unfortunate given its relatively young vintage.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:36:51 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 09:47:47 PM »
I think the mark of a truly classic instrument is that, in spite of many advances in technology and features, it just doesn't get old.  That's the case with both the Prophet VS and the Poly Evolver.  No matter what new instruments appear, the VS/PEK seem as fresh as the day they were first released.  I'd still prefer to have either one in mint condition than any of the modern hybrids that have since appeared.

chysn

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 07:13:27 AM »
The thing I sort of regret is that, when I had my original Wavestation, I spent all my time with wave sequencing, and didn't spend much time with vector synthesis. Of course, with the Wavestation, you could do both at the same time. But I was so intrigued by wave sequencing that I missed out on the vectors.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his