Pro3 as companion to Take 5?

Pro3 as companion to Take 5?
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Today, I demoed the Take 5 at my local Guitar Center and fell in love with the sound and user interface (was able to create some beautiful sounds without even opening the manual.)

Here's a short video I made as I demoed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6TDpC9Tr0

As I look at the Pro 3's capabilities (wavetable oscillators and sequencing most notably) it seems like it would be a perfect companion to the Take 5.

Would the Pro 3 and Take 5 work well together for ambient/atmospheric music? (Here's a sample of the tracks I've produced: http://soundcloud.com/douglas-1)

These would be my first Sequential synths, so I'd be interested in any advice.

Thanks in advance!

--Douglas

Re: Pro3 as companion to Take 5?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 11:56:19 PM »
Short answer.  Yes.   

Long answer... also yes.  I've got both, side by side, and they are a great combo.   The Pro 3 is an instrument that I purchased thinking it would be my primary lead and bass synth, but its so much more: 

The paraphonic mode is amazing for unique chord harmonies and drones.

The three filter options offer a holy trinity of great tones - Moog Ladder style filter, Prophet 4-Pole and SEM 2-Pole resonant.

The sequencer and modulation capabilities are extensive.  It's basically like a giant modular system with 32 matrix slots and all of the sources/destinations and sequencer capabilities.

And the arp combined with mod sequencer and paraphonic mode is my favorite thing.  It recreates that classic Korg Monopoly style arp, but with so much more versatility and sound design depth. 

If you've already got a Poly Synth (ie: Take 5), then Pro 3 is a perfect second synth to complement it. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

chysn

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 05:43:08 PM »
It would certainly be a visually-pleasing pair. Other than that, a Pro 3 goes well with anything.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 11:32:29 PM »
How about the Pro3, which I already have, with a Korg Prologue? I am seriously GASing for the Take 5, though, too. Hard to go wrong with a Sequential Poly.

jmg8

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 02:35:22 PM »
I'd go for a PolyBrute or Prologue with your Pro3. In my opinion it is better to try and cover as much sonic ground with your synth collection, so I prefer to get a few different brands. Pro3 is amazing (I love mine) with lots of flexibility. I'm not a fan of Take5 to be honest, it's a bit of a budget friendly option. Prologue has the digital OSC which opens up a huge sonic pallet with the user OSCs. However the modulation is a bit limited. PolyBrute is really flexible and offers a killer feature set and workflow. I'd go for PolyBrute.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:19:34 PM »
How about a Prophet X with a Pro-3 for sonic ground (though one brand)?

jmg8

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 06:49:07 AM »
To be honest, I do not know much about Prophet X.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
I do have a Prologue and a Pro3. Two really rad sounding synths!

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »
Would the Pro 3 and Take 5 work well together for ambient/atmospheric music? (Here's a sample of the tracks I've produced: http://soundcloud.com/douglas-1)

These would be my first Sequential synths, so I'd be interested in any advice.

I can definitely recommend the Pro 3.  It's probably the best mono synth on the market.  It does just about everything one would want to do with a mono synth, and it's almost as versatile as a eurorack in a box.  It does all sorts of stuff which would work great for ambient, along with almost any other genre.  If you don't mind recording one part at a time and stacking them, a Pro 3 may be all you need... it's easy to build entire songs with.

The Take 5 is a nice synth too, but it's designed to be simple and relatively inexpensive, rather than prioritizing power and versatility.  It's not built for doing complex ambient tones... it's built for more traditional sounds -- for musicians who have acoustic instruments and want to add their first synth.

If you want a poly synth with deep sound design which does really crazy stuff, ambient tones where you can press a few keys and then just hold them (and maybe turn knobs) while the tone evolves for a long time, you might want to consider a Hydrasynth.  Or a Peak/Summit is great too, with a juicier core sound but less convenient mod routing.

On another note, it's usually a good idea to only get one new instrument at a time... and then dive deep and learn it really thoroughly before considering the next purchase.  Getting two at once is often a recipe for feeling unsatisfied with one or both.