Cleaning goo off Pro One wood panel

Cleaning goo off Pro One wood panel
« on: November 01, 2021, 12:15:00 PM »
I picked up my Pro One from repair yesterday. Transported it home in the Samsonite suitcase it came in when I bought it a billion years back. The suitcase had two pieces of custom-cut foam inside to keep the synth secure in place. At some point, years back, one of the foam pieces broke and I "repaired" it with duct tape (gaffer tape, innit). This tape, in turn, has started to disintegrate. When we opened up the case last night, I discovered that one of the wood panels on the side of the Pro One had sticky residue from the tape. I've no idea what's a safe way to clean it off and don't want to try anything out that might damage the wood. Any thoughts?

(Picture attached)

chysn

Re: Cleaning goo off Pro One wood panel
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
It is still tacky to the touch, or is it hard as a rock?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »

Still sticky...
This only happened days ago, with the synth in its case for 7 hours, the duct tape doing its evil work.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »

Still sticky...
This only happened days ago, with the synth in its case for 7 hours, the duct tape doing its evil work.

In that case, I'd try some Zippo fluid. Squirt it on there, let it sit for a few seconds, and gently wipe it away with a paper towel. Zippo fluid cuts through gooey adhesives, and is mild enough to not affect wood finishes. You may have to repeat the process one or more times, but only if you see some progress the first time.

But, as you always do with solvents on surfaces (especially old ones), try it on a small and inconspicuous area first.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his