Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
Fiddled a bit with creating kick sounds on my MOOG Sub37.... quite capable :)

Demo is Sub37 only... straight from the output...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Sub37Kicks.mp3

Sorry to say... but not even Tempest will do this fat and hard kick sound  :P ... it's not even the filter in resonating mode, it's a single oscillator with heavy modulation from both modulators using the modulation matrix... many many colours of kicks is possible, not just this hard hitting one  ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
Today this arrived in the mail... A SONY PCM D-100 mobile recorder... I'll be using this thing for mainly two things:

1. Recording in the field etc... I need to use stuff like sounds from nature and other acoustic sounds to make convincing Dark Ambient music.

2. Impulse Response creation... I've started using convolution reverbs, as they sound more natural, and I find making these myself intriguing and fun... as well as making weird other sounds via convolution.

This recorder was a bit expensive, and the cost a bit hard to swallow, costing almost the same as a Tetra, but I will be needing this device quite a lot, so I thought I'd go for the best from the start. It will do up to 192Khz sampling at up to 24bits, and it even samples at 2.8 megaherz as well using 1bit AD convertion... I do not know how much that will serve me, but it's there for the testing.

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2016, 05:09:04 AM »
Wow that looks nice!

Puts my zoom H2n to shame :(

I always like high end sony gear, just so well made.

I have a sony portable midi disk player, must be heading towards 25 years old I guess. It still works perfectly and looks like new.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
Lets just say, that I'm extremely impressed with the sound quality of this thing... really low-noise, being able to record down at -100dB ... It has all the features I need, even digital I/O, and build in 32GB storage... it's a little bigger pshysically than you would expect, but not unhandy in any way... comes with windscreen, carrying case and wireless remote.

It's very sensitive though... you simply have to NOT touch it with your hand while it is recording, it picks up everything! ... had to order a desktop tripod because of this.

« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
I know you aren't interested in a computer based sampling system but today I watched this video showing Ableton Push 2 sampling from vinyl. It's an interesting video. After watching it I ordered a Push 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jn9s0ZLd8

« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
I know you aren't interested in a computer based sampling system but today I watched this video showing Ableton Push 2 sampling from vinyl. It's an interesting video. After watching it I ordered a Push 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jn9s0ZLd8

That's what I suggested to Razmo months ago, but he prefers hardware, although I have to add that Push 2 is quite a lot of hardware to make things easy. I can understand, though, that one may not want to switch DAWs for that alone.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
Yes... I dont want computer-synths/samplers... I'm strictly a hardware guy, and is that even more today than just a couple of weeks ago.

I just have to face it... I do not cope well with harddisk based recording... I'm returning to the way I used to make music, even before my analog-GAS period... the kind of music I do today is much better off with big workhorse digital synths, that I can hook up via USB and use in multi mode, so I'm doing quite a bit of changes right now.

I need polyphony, I need Multi timbrality and I need internal FX... I'm selling my Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver... keeping my Prophet 12 though, as it does fill a particular niche in my setup, even though it does not allow more than two part multitimbrality.

My goal is that every synth must be "on it's own", and simply connected to my 8 stereo channel RANE mixer... my MX400 is used as a single reverb processor for all channels as a master FX just in case it's needed.

So I am right now looking for a few hardware things... a KORG Radias, a Nord Modular G2 engine, A Electribe Sampler 2, A Nord Drum 3 and a V-Synth XT (yes again... I know).

I prefer USB since it's much more tight when using them multitimbrally, as USB is faster than MIDI.

I still like the sound of analog, but I realize, that the only thing it's really good for in my case, is with bass... so I may end up buying two Minitaurs someday, to have them set up in stereo.

It was trhe Roland Integra-7 that made me take this route... that machine is simply incredible... I'm also considering a Virus Ti2... and even a Nord A1.

dslsynth

« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2016, 02:19:06 PM »
I'm selling my Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver...

I'll happily buy your Poly Evolver Rack for 500 DKR. ;)

:o . o O ( seat jumping )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
Yes... I dont want computer-synths/samplers... I'm strictly a hardware guy, and is that even more today than just a couple of weeks ago.

I just have to face it... I do not cope well with harddisk based recording... I'm returning to the way I used to make music, even before my analog-GAS period... the kind of music I do today is much better off with big workhorse digital synths, that I can hook up via USB and use in multi mode, so I'm doing quite a bit of changes right now.

I need polyphony, I need Multi timbrality and I need internal FX... I'm selling my Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver... keeping my Prophet 12 though, as it does fill a particular niche in my setup, even though it does not allow more than two part multitimbrality.

My goal is that every synth must be "on it's own", and simply connected to my 8 stereo channel RANE mixer... my MX400 is used as a single reverb processor for all channels as a master FX just in case it's needed.

So I am right now looking for a few hardware things... a KORG Radias, a Nord Modular G2 engine, A Electribe Sampler 2, A Nord Drum 3 and a V-Synth XT (yes again... I know).

I prefer USB since it's much more tight when using them multitimbrally, as USB is faster than MIDI.

I still like the sound of analog, but I realize, that the only thing it's really good for in my case, is with bass... so I may end up buying two Minitaurs someday, to have them set up in stereo.

It was trhe Roland Integra-7 that made me take this route... that machine is simply incredible... I'm also considering a Virus Ti2... and even a Nord A1.

That's some serious hunger for modifications. A never ending story, eh?  ;D

Didn't you already own a V-Synth?

And why do you wanna have a stereo bass synth? - I may be too much of a traditionalist, but I always found it much easier to deal with basses of any kind (synths and/or electric basses) in mono when it comes to mixing.

« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »
I'm selling my Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver...

I'll happily buy your Poly Evolver Rack for 500 DKR. ;)

:o . o O ( seat jumping )

That's about $75. Is your new alias Uncle Scrooge?  ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
Seventy-five dollars?  Uh, I'll raise that to eighty-five.

Shaw

« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2016, 03:16:37 PM »
Seventy-five dollars?  Uh, I'll raise that to eighty-five.

Put me down for $85 for the P08.   ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222175754918
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:22:54 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rockŽn roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
I do not cope well with harddisk based recording...

Wait...are you going back to recording on tape?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rockŽn roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »

You wouldn't believe how many people - especially from the analog modular scene - are actually doing that right now. I don't think that's what Razmo has in mind though.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »

That's some serious hunger for modifications. A never ending story, eh?  ;D

Didn't you already own a V-Synth?

And why do you wanna have a stereo bass synth? - I may be too much of a traditionalist, but I always found it much easier to deal with basses of any kind (synths and/or electric basses) in mono when it comes to mixing.

The reason for wanting analog bass in stereo is because it simply sounds better, when it's two different oscillators taking each side... I believe AO also talked about this earlier... putting an analog chorus on it simply is not the same... I want a very wide stereo perspective, and it's well done this way, without strange cancellations in the frequency spectrum, and as I'm into Ambient these days, mono simply sounds boring... especialy in headphones which will be my major focus.

About V-Synth... yes... I had it before, and regret selling it... I also had the keyboard G2, but it's not multi timbral, which is crucial to me... the XT is the only one that has sort of a multi mode. I actualy bought the VP-9000 for this, but the aliasing is horrendous on this machine, compared to the XT... and it has too few voices really... so... Išll have to get one again at some point, because I want the VariPhrase technology.

The ever ongoing GAS syndrome... yes... I can understand why people would say that it's a never ending story... it has been until now, but I'm pretty determined this time to get to at final setup... (as I've said all the other times as well)... guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2016, 05:48:18 PM »
I do not cope well with harddisk based recording...

No... because the end listener will not have that option to play my creations back :) ... I just need to be able to mess around with recorded notes, without having to re-record everything.... also for being able to change FX, EQ etc. before the final mixdown.

I'm mixing everything in analog... and then recording the mixed two-track to computer... that's it basically :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
And to DSLSynth: It's allready put on sale for 6.000,- DKR ... and it will definitely not get any cheaper than that considdering a new 1voice Evolver cost about 5.000,- DKR :)

And the P08 is allready on hold for next month... 7.500,- DKR which is reasonable.

What I will get instead I'm not sure about right now... it depends on what I can find of those machines I crave now...

« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »
And to DSLSynth: It's allready put on sale for 6.000,- DKR ... and it will definitely not get any cheaper than that considdering a new 1voice Evolver cost about 5.000,- DKR :)

Oooh, I wish I had the money to spare currently, then I would have already put down a reservation request. ;)

« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »
The reason for wanting analog bass in stereo is because it simply sounds better, when it's two different oscillators taking each side... I believe AO also talked about this earlier... putting an analog chorus on it simply is not the same... I want a very wide stereo perspective, and it's well done this way, without strange cancellations in the frequency spectrum, and as I'm into Ambient these days, mono simply sounds boring... especialy in headphones which will be my major focus.

I get your reasoning, but I guess being also a bassist I usually perceive it as a concentrated solo/monophonic voice.

About V-Synth... yes... I had it before, and regret selling it... I also had the keyboard G2, but it's not multi timbral, which is crucial to me... the XT is the only one that has sort of a multi mode. I actualy bought the VP-9000 for this, but the aliasing is horrendous on this machine, compared to the XT... and it has too few voices really... so... Išll have to get one again at some point, because I want the VariPhrase technology.

Wow, it must have escaped me that you got rid of it. Must have happened really quick right after you got it. The G2 must have been quite hard to come by. Those are hard to get these days.

The ever ongoing GAS syndrome... yes... I can understand why people would say that it's a never ending story... it has been until now, but I'm pretty determined this time to get to at final setup... (as I've said all the other times as well)... guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

You should never enter the Eurorack market.  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »

I get your reasoning, but I guess being also a bassist I usually perceive it as a concentrated solo/monophonic voice.

I suffer from the same experience as Paul -- being a bassist having grown up with a mono instrument.  But the last project I worked on, I recorded the bass biamped (one of my basses has two output jack, one for each pickup)... and it sounds sweet.  I can only imagine 2 Minitaurs! That would indeed be deep and thick. 

Thanks for the idear....