Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
A Modular G3 would be nice, although I guess that won't happen with Clavia.

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
No chance at all (though I'd love to be wrong), the G2 in my opinion is the best synth ever made but they didn't sell well and cost a lot to develop. Too complicated for the average synth player.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
Yeah... I did think about the G2 as well, but I definitely will never get one as large as the one on the picture... more likely just the G2 engine  ;)

I opted for the G1 though, since I got a good deal on it, and I don't really feel I need the added FX, as I like to put these on externaly... also I'm not yet certain if the G2 is compatible with all the thousands of sounds available for the G1... if it is, the G2 engine may be my next step for a swap, if not I may never go for it... the sheer amount of patches was one of the bigger reasons for getting the G1.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2016, 12:19:23 AM »
There is a patch converter from G1 -> G2: https://github.com/msg/g2ools

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2016, 01:55:11 AM »

Ahh... nice... I HOPE it takes batches, because if I have to manually convert more than 15.000 patches one at a time, and can for certain say, that I'll stay with the G1  ;D

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2016, 01:57:25 AM »
Actually I think they are all converted somewhere on: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2016, 02:07:09 AM »
Actually I think they are all converted somewhere on: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/

Nice... then there is a chance.... if I will ever find a used G2 Engine in the future  :)

« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »

Ahh... nice... I HOPE it takes batches, because if I have to manually convert more than 15.000 patches one at a time, and can for certain say, that I'll stay with the G1  ;D

Hm, that'll keep you busy for a while.  ;D

chysn

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2016, 04:52:02 AM »
Hey, congrats on the G1!

With an instrument like this, that relies on a PC connection, do you have concerns about appropriate reliable hardware becoming unavailable, or obsolescence of a particular OS? Or do they pretty much keep the software up-to-date forever? Or is the MIDI spec such that it's easy to support?

In short, do you worry about the long-term viability of the G1?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2016, 01:45:21 PM »
Hey, congrats on the G1!

With an instrument like this, that relies on a PC connection, do you have concerns about appropriate reliable hardware becoming unavailable, or obsolescence of a particular OS? Or do they pretty much keep the software up-to-date forever? Or is the MIDI spec such that it's easy to support?

In short, do you worry about the long-term viability of the G1?

well... as you probably know I am already relying on a PC connection for an even older editor program, and the day that program will not run, I'll stick with the last one that does  ;)

The editor for the G1 works fine on Win10 ... I downloaded it and tried it first, so I know this ... anyway, the G1 actualy come with a notebook that the owner used for it, so I'll just use that for the editor.

Creating my own editor will NOT happen though... just the thought he he... Sound Diver will not be able to either.

Also, a third party person has actually made a new editor for it... just dont know if it's any good yet... the G1 use a separate MIDI port solely for the editing, but I have no idear if it is using the MIDI specs for this.

so no... I'm not really concerned with future compatibility... one thing people have had troubles with are MIDI interfaces not working reliably... but that can be fixed by finding one that works well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:47:30 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »
If you have problems with any midi interfaces you have I use midisport 2x2, works fine and they are pretty cheap.

I think any midi interface that doesn't mess around with long sysex messages should be fine.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2016, 02:16:40 AM »
If you have problems with any midi interfaces you have I use midisport 2x2, works fine and they are pretty cheap.

I think any midi interface that doesn't mess around with long sysex messages should be fine.

Sound good... if it's just the dreaded "input buffer" problem of Windows it's not a problem... I intend on using either en UM-1G mkII or the built in one on the E-MU 1616m... both are extremely reliable MIDI interfaces.  :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2016, 05:56:56 AM »
I actually just realized how cheap I get this G1... in US$ I'm paying 550,- ... and that is including a Lenovo notepad computer + a USB MIDI interface.

I am buying it from a good friend of mine, and I know he only buys gear in very good shape, so I'm happy... besides he just recently purchased the G2X anyway, and I believe he has the G1X as well... so he did not need his G1 with just 25 keys as well  ;D

Usually his prices are fair... but when I check EBAY all are considerably higher in used price...

« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
That's a good price.

The prices for G1s and G2s hav been dropping over the last few years.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Just a little messin' around with the Evolver and Fireworx FX in tandem... wait for it, it changes abruptly a little more than halfway...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/WeirdTake.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »
Some synth pop like riff... http://razmo.ziphoid.com/test.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/GOT_EXP.mp3

A strange synth riff I made tonight, with some of the Game of Thrones title music... Prophet 08, Prophet 12 and Poly Evolver was used among others...

« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/GOT_EXP.mp3

A strange synth riff I made tonight, with some of the Game of Thrones title music... Prophet 08, Prophet 12 and Poly Evolver was used among others...

I like it.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
it's a bit too computer-like for my taste, now that I hear it again he he... anyway it was just for the fun of it...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »
Wanted to try and see how the raw sound of my Blofeld Keyboard could sound yesterday, so I set out to create a pair of Ambient sounds from scratch.

One of the bad things about the Blofeld is it's build in effects in my opinion, because they muddy up the sound in a bad way, so my goal was to not use these, and only use the raw sound.

The Blofeld is now so well fixed with it's latest OS, that it seems to work reliably... I've not had any problems with it, and it really does sound very good when you know to omit those FX... It is one powerful wavetable synth for sure, being the only one in hardware I know off, that has full-single cycle waveforms, and even in 21 bits. Very soft and smooth tone.

Here is a demo of the two sounds I ended up with... I'm pretty pleased, and wil ldefinitely keep this synth as my main go-to for wavetable synthesis, and "ROMpler" sounds (it has 60mb of flash RAM for samples).

The demo sounds go thru a deep and very long reverb from my Lexicon MX400.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/AmbientTest.mp3

Also, I'm getting myself a new analog mixer very soon. A Mackie 1604 VLZ4, as I've gone back to using only MIDI sequencing... harddisk recording just does not settle with me... I like the restrictions a 100% MIDI setup gives me.

I'm trying to narrow my synth collection to be one with as many synthesis optins as possible, but also modern ones without quirks... this can be a bit of an accomplishment really, and SOME older ones is needed... at least until some company release a newer version with the same synthesis methods. Also, I strive to get ones that has a huge free sound library for inspiration purposes, and hopefully with lots of sounds meant for experimentational and Ambient genres... and of course, as much polyphony as possible, as this is key to Ambient music.

I really like the Nord Modular G1 that I got recently... that's a definite keeper as well. I actually managed to find a person willing to trade my keys version for a rack version, as I do not need the keys, so I have that one now... also I need to get the DSP option for it at some point to add polyphony.

Other than that, the synths are the same as before: Sub37, Pulse2, P08, P12, PER, NM G1 and Blofeld.

I still need to find one more synth for my last two mixer slots, one mono, one stereo... and then two more machines that will give me sampling options, and percussion.

The sampling option has been quite hard to pick because I want to be able to use it for sampling live acoustic sound sources, but to use them in an intuitive way without lots of programing like on a hardware sampler... so I'm thinking about getting a looper for this... I'm looking at the five stereo-channel BOSS looper at the moment, but need to look further into it's capabilities with MIDI.

The drums has to be a flexible drummachine, because the thing needs to be entirely selfcontained, as it will be on an AUX return on the mixer... so it MUST hold internal FX, which does not leave many choices to be honest... Tempest is out of the question... so that leaves it for Nord Drum 3P, Elektron Rytm or Machinedrum.