Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

jg666

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1100 on: March 03, 2020, 11:34:14 PM »
I'd be interested to hear what all of you who are getting the Summit think of it when you've had a chance to play with it :) There's not many videos out there yet (except the ones from 6 months ago)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1101 on: March 04, 2020, 04:43:53 AM »
I've now got the LFE for my P6. I won't even go back and add extra modulation to the majority of the hundred patches I've already done because they sound so good as is. There's a natural beauty to them that I would frankly only convolute by doing so. I can't even imagine stacking a Quantum and Summit, let alone adding yet another synth to the mix all playing the same line.

My Summit is still on back order and I'm worried that I might not even get mine as the store is reportedly closing...

But they are not playing the same line, that is the whole point... but playing an ambient pad, layered with a proper (or more than one) Arpeggiator/Sequence can give some really gorgous sounds you do not get without layering sounds... that's why I would want to have three such synths layered for some serious polyrhythmic arpeggiating or sequencing (or combined), being all triggered by the same key triggers from the Quantum though... anytime I could play the synths keys themelves, and let them play differently, or even sequence them all from a DAW via USB... it just seems like the way for me to find these "holy three"  :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1102 on: March 10, 2020, 03:06:38 PM »
Weeks added to my SUMMIT delivery.... Good I do not have the time for it right away  :o

OceanMachine

« Reply #1103 on: March 17, 2020, 03:45:48 PM »
With all the craziness going on, my chances of getting the Summit aren't looking so hot... I did just trade my like new Rytm Mk.II for my old Tempest back today. I don't care about the shortcoming - by far the best groove box/drum machine of all time, as well as best DCO synth DSI ever made. Glad to not deal with the hassle of thinking about what samples to import or export.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1104 on: March 17, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »
With all the craziness going on, my chances of getting the Summit aren't looking so hot... I did just trade my like new Rytm Mk.II for my old Tempest back today. I don't care about the shortcoming - by far the best groove box/drum machine of all time, as well as best DCO synth DSI ever made. Glad to not deal with the hassle of thinking about what samples to import or export.

Depend on what you want to use the TEMPEST for... I don't mind ROM samples, but as it was created a a drumsynth, I do not get why they did not put much more thought into the pallette of sounds as samples of different sonic character instead of all those boring recreations of 808's 909's Linn's and other accoustic sounds... this would have been a much more modern sounding synth if the samples had been more varied and prepared for programing manuipulation.

Sure you can get lots of cool sounds ffrom it... it jus my personal opinion.

...and now I've got 7-8 weeks of added waiting until the SUMMIT arrives... jesus christ  ::)

BTW. the more I think of it, one thing that TEMPEST is lacking is build in master FX with sends... I know it has sepearate outs bu that is jus too cumbersome to deal with.. cables, mixers, FX and all...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:32:16 PM by Razmo »

OceanMachine

« Reply #1105 on: March 17, 2020, 11:30:43 PM »
When I bought the Rytm I thought master FX would come in handy, but I never ended up using them. I just don't find them all that useful for percussive sounds. As for the samples, I don't see them lacking at all considering how open ended the synth engine is. They'll mostly be mangled beyond recognition or used for attack transients. Another thing is, I certainly wouldn't use the Curtis filter for lush or clean tones, but it has a dirtiness that's great for certain uses. I played an Ensoniq Esq-1 the other day and it sounded amazing. It may be crude by today's standards, albeit has character that's lacking tremendously in modern day equivalents. The Tempest is in the same territory, so the lack of reverb is not that crucial, unlike the OB-6 and P6 that are greatly hurt by not having a decent reverb like the super plate. The (possible) Tempest X may be amazing, but I don't see it having the character that the original has. I actually like the synth sounds that come out of it more than anything I've heard come out of the PX. Again, no sample hassle is also a huge plus for me. Ratchets (as Sequential is calling them), more robust external MIDI capabilities, & parameter locks will be a huge plus, but not worth what will be lost imo. 

On a side note, the Rytm's filters while much more robust as far as modes are concerned, sounded weak-sauce no matter what imo. I couldn't find much reason to use them beyond the pads that could utilize the VCO engine. The cymbal engines were not to my taste and there's no reason to use the filters on the samples, beyond using them in conjunction with the noise generator that's available on those pads. And good lord, for that price, Elektron should have known better than to cut corners on something as massively important as decent pads.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1106 on: March 18, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »
The cowbell on the Rytm is also completely unusable for people like me who don't care for techno/house or whatever Elektron's target audience is. So the top row of engines (or machines as they call them) I could only use for noise, impulse, and/or samples.

LoboLives

« Reply #1107 on: March 18, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »
I've always looked at the Tempest as a rhythm machine..be it as a drum machine, bass synth, pads etc.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1108 on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:34 PM »
I could do without a reverb maybe, but a real delay is what I feel the Tempest is really missing, as it would make it possible to give more depth to the rhythms... of course it also depend on what types of sounds you want to do with it... one thing I also like about the Tempest is its 32 sounds, and that you can actually use it as an FX machine also... but then again, a delay would have been really handy... the built in SEMI MIDI delay is not worth much really.

I've had the machine 3 times... I love it and hate it at the same time.

Maybe what Dave should considder is making a small percussion device, with just ONE voice and a supperb sequencer in it, and a dual FX engine.... then in some way let these be connectable, so that if you want a four voice, you just get four of them, and "click them together" in some fancy way. They should be syncable, but in any other regards completely independent of each other, one acting as a master device (the first in the chain)... it could easily be a normal desktop unit with space for 8-16 voice cards (then they could also be individually controlled via MIDI on their own channel). I'd get such a device instantly as my third... or fourth  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:28:15 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1109 on: April 02, 2020, 01:25:36 PM »
All this waiting on PRO3SE and SUMMIT got me full circle back to my initial ideal Quantum partner: MOOG MATRIARCH... It was on stock, and has now been ordered. I also feel its the most useable piece of "analog meat" to keep the studio plate "varied"... But still the third part of the plate is empty, so mission is not yet over
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:28:17 PM by Razmo »

OceanMachine

« Reply #1110 on: April 02, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
So are you still getting the Summit? I've got a Nord Wave 2 on pre-order (fully paid/nonrefundable) and a pair of Neumann 120 As on the way. My gear mission is over for the foreseeable future.

jg666

« Reply #1111 on: April 02, 2020, 11:51:05 PM »
I've just watched an in-depth demo of the Nord Wave 2 by a UK music shop and I am finding myself drawn to it. I really must stop watching YouTube videos as it costs me too much ;)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1112 on: April 03, 2020, 01:56:49 AM »
So are you still getting the Summit? I've got a Nord Wave 2 on pre-order (fully paid/nonrefundable) and a pair of Neumann 120 As on the way. My gear mission is over for the foreseeable future.

I have no plans for the SUMMIT anyway, butvtime will tell

jok3r

« Reply #1113 on: April 03, 2020, 02:37:04 AM »
All this waiting on PRO3SE and SUMMIT got me full circle back to my initial ideal Quantum partner: MOOG MATRIARCH... It was on stock, and has now been ordered. I also feel its the most useable piece of "analog meat" to keep the studio plate "varied"... But still the third part of the plate is empty, so mission is not yet over

What about the Matriarch not having presets? You mentioned that would be crucial earlier? ;-)

I want to have a Matriarch myself. When I last had the money, Thomann didn't have it in stock... and now they have it and I'm broke, because I needed to buy a new car  :'(

I hope you will share your detailed impressions about it, as soon as you had the time.

Perhaps if there's no more live giggin this year, due to this corona stuff, I could sell my Kronos for it... it's a beast, but besides cover music I don't use it very much.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #1114 on: April 03, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
I have gone several rounds with synths that don't have patch memory, as well as modular systems... while many offer great core sounds and really unique routing/patching possibilities, I always end up selling them off, and getting something similar with patch memory.   With limited time to devote to playing music, I find that I usually want the option to sit down and quickly audition through sounds I've created, and just play music. 

Nowadays, with flagship synths from Sequential and Moog, they have such substantial mod matrixes built in, I feel like it's pretty close to having a modular system at your fingertips, with patch memory... of course there are unique modules and possibilities outside the mainstream synths...  But I don't find that I'm personally very interested in the bleep-bloops and avant garde electronica.   The Pro 3 has a ridiculous 32 mod slots and such a wide variety of sources and destinations... 95% of the stuff I would try to accomplish with a modular system, I can do with the Pro 3.     

That being said, if there is one synth without patch memory that I would buy, it would be the Matriarch.  I've had it in my shopping cart more than once.  The binaural stereo architecture can sound so immersive and huge...  one of the reasons I'll probably never get rid of my PEK.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Shaw

« Reply #1115 on: April 05, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »
Woah... Razzmatazz... going commando... ahem, without presets.

I just listed my Matriarch for sale.   Just never got it out to play it — probably due to of the lack of presets because it does sound stellar.  Anyway, I hope you get along better with yours.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |