Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

OceanMachine

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1080 on: January 26, 2020, 02:15:19 PM »
I think the Kijimi is their best sounding synth by far, which gets overlooked by the DD and for some reason even the Xerxes. I had the DD/Expander for a minute and the kindest thing I can say about it is that the HPF is really nice. Supposedly the Xerxes' DCOs are unique, but I have yet to hear anything that stood out like others seem to think. If it wasn't for the price, mono out, and slim support, I would have recommended the Kijimi for an 8 voice VCO. I'm pretty sure the Kijimi has the SSI 2144 that you're looking for. At least it sounds like it to my ears...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1081 on: February 03, 2020, 07:56:53 AM »
I have decided to drop thinking about a third synth right now, because I believe that all the tvinking is just a simple way of telling me, I do not need anything else right now... So it has been shelved along with the GT until something changes perspectives.

Instead I have warmed up to some Eurorack module additions to my PRO3. It is mostly for putting some modules into the PRO3s own signal path, but it has shown to be doable by routing individual oscillators out, and then back in via external in... This allows me to insert other analog filters that can be controlled directly from the matrix... Very powerful. Other modules than filters could be interresting, like auto FM modules, waveshapers, ringmodulators, distortions etc... Many exiting possibilities.

A few oscillators could also prove interresting, if they offer something unique, and they can also be controlled via cv outs on PRO3... I am going to get a TipTop Audio ONE sample player for it, as this gives some nice possibilities for firing off single shot fx samples, vocals etc. And mangle them thro the PRO3...

So I looked at a practical eurorack case for this add on, and the only one that meet my requirement of leaving some space to the table surface is a 6u RackBrute... The PRO3 can stand perfectly in front of this, and all modules be readilly available for patching...

So I guess I am on the Eurorack bandwagon again... Scary...  ;D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1082 on: February 05, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
I feel it come creeping in again from behind... That viscious alluring GAS, and I do not see it coming right away... This time it is my plans for a 6U RackBrute full of filters for the PRO3... Jesus christ! I do not need this, the PRO3 already have three of the most reknown types on board.

I really want to use the Eurorack features though, and I think I found the perfect stationary setup for the CV ins and outs...

One thing I would really like is to have a device that simply fire off single shot samples for fx, vocal phrases and samples in general. I could do this with Quantum, but it would require tedious preset development to continuously add samples to a library like that... I need something where I quickly browse a bunch of samples on an SD card with a knob, and then be able to play that sample chromatically... And this is where Eurorack is handy, so I took a good look at sample player modules and found a dual stereo module from 4ms that also allow for some CV modulation.

I will simply add this one module as two sample playback oscillators to PRO3 via ext. Input, and connect the CV and gate cables to it... This way I can program PRO3 presets intended to completely mangle whatever sample I choose to play, and with the module in mono mix mode, it will serve as two oscillators... It will also give some fun possibilities playing rave and hardcore orchestral sounds chromatically for those 90s hardcore vibes, full of analog sauce comming from the PRO3. It could do all these cheesy 90s sampler sounds by using samples of sustained analog synth sounds, and then mold it thru the PRO3 filters for dirt and grit... With the sample oscillators set not to reset on gate input, every new hit would start at whatever the sample is at in its loop.. A bit like free runninge sample oscillators, and with two of them you can do all the usual dual oscillator detuning tricks etc.

It will be a permanent setup... So I will get one of those powered POD20 cases that 4ms also make that fit the sample module perfectly as it is also 20hp wide.

I feel I need to do this... A 6u RackBrute will only lead to GAS disaster  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:51:45 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1083 on: February 10, 2020, 02:52:29 AM »
Just to let you know if you wonder why I do not rant so much these days, I am running in and out of hospitals for examinations, scans and bloodsamples. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer on 25th of october last year, and my life has been turned upside down since then.

I just finished 28 rounds of chemotherapy and radiation therapy, and am currently waiting for more blood testing, scans and examinations before surgery early April.

In general I have been lucky... despite an 8cm tumor up there, my immunesystem has kept any metastases from forming anywhere else, and it also took me thru low dose chemo without it even being visible in my bloodsamples..they joked about me having placebo tablets.

Anyone normal in my situation survive 70% of the time they say, and factors personally for me raise that barrier... I am young, do not drink or smoke and my immunesystem is extrodinary... so I am not afraid I will not win this battle, but it will not be without a few scars, and I am sick and tired of not being able to sit in the studio for more than 20min at a time.

The surgery will most likely result in removal of the rectum, and the colon sewn on directly, resulting in an 8week stomia...but I will survive that too.

So if you wonder why I may be a bit quiet from time to time, you now know why  :)

jg666

« Reply #1084 on: February 10, 2020, 03:45:12 AM »
Best wishes to you from me my friend :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

chysn

« Reply #1085 on: February 10, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you're under excellent care. Best wishes.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1086 on: February 10, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »
Hang in there, Razmo. 

« Reply #1087 on: February 11, 2020, 01:20:25 AM »
Best wishes, Razmo. I hope you get well soon.

« Reply #1088 on: February 12, 2020, 07:15:35 AM »
You have the right approach Razmo, best regards.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1089 on: February 12, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »
Thank you for the kind words everyone... Dolnt worry, I'll make it thru  ;)

Anyway, to get back to some proper ranting, as you probably have guessed already, I am still wondering about what 3rd synth will close my studio... It is constantly on my mind.

Quantum deliver anything I need in polyphony and synthesis tech up to about 80%... PRO3 take up part of the last 20%, mainly in the analog front end part, doing analog sequences, basses and lead sounds.

I am bending my brain to figure out what unique stuff I need for those last 10%... The only thing I feel I may miss is analog front end polyphony, though I am almost certain that Quantum can do a good job anyway with its analog filters.

Anyway, there just may be something unique about the raw tone of analog discrete vcos that Quantum may not deliver... My mind keep crossing either ob6 or p6, but I would rather really have one with another filter than those already in the PRO3... I have looked a bit at Prologue, but I am put off by the not very deep engine. I want its filters to sound oldschool 70s like which is hard to find with the criteria I got... I am almost certain that the only places I will find what I require will be either Waldorf, Sequential, MOOG, KORG or Novation.

What further complicate matter is that anything above 800mm in width is not possible, and that limits keyboard to 3 or 4 octaves which will be hard to find in an 8 to 16 voice polysynth...

I wonder what the big things Sequential are up to these days are... They wrote that we should not expect updates to prior synths in the coming time, so they must be wlrking on something big now, and I have s feeling it may be that missing 16 voice discrete component analog polysynth that currently ks lacking in their lineup, especially one that will take up the battle with the MOOG ONE... Which lead me to wonder if the new ladder filter in PRO3 was testing grounds for the next big thing to come.

A yway, I am almost ceftain that my third choise will probably be a Sequential product, so I better wait and see... There is still nothing that really has my interrest right now, and the ones that could work, have too many keys on them... Prologue16 and SUMMIT...

I actually think that a REV2 engine, with descrete curcuit vcos and SSI filter chips would do it for me... Maybe even a newly developed analog oscillator chip to go with the SSI filter chips would be cost effective... Now top that with the same FX as compiled on the PRO3 and that might wery well be what I am after, in a 4 oct keybed with wheels ABOVE the keys to limit width to within 800mm.

16 voices an absolute minimum btw. And no dual layer functionality, so that the front panel is intuitive to use not representing more than one parameter at any time.

I also wonder, if Sequential mah put out a third variant on the P6 with the ladder filter instead... I could see that working.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 08:53:49 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1090 on: February 12, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
Thinking about cost effectiveness of chips indtead of discrete, not to mention pitch stabillity etc... I really think that the audio marked is ripe for newly developed ones.

The problem with the curtis is not the filter actually, it is that it is a synth on a chip where the signal flow is completely closed for any changes... What I think is needed is new chips that divide this into the three infividual synthesis blocks: VCO, VCF and VCA.

If three chips was used like that, there is no limit to what else you could put in between them hardwarewise, which could make each synth using these chips unique in many ways... I also believe that with surfacemount chips, curcuit size could be made much smaller.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:02:38 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #1091 on: February 13, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Razmo, just seen this. Good luck with everything and look after yourself.

Shaw

« Reply #1092 on: February 13, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »
Be strong, Razmataz!  We need you around here brother.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #1093 on: February 15, 2020, 06:42:36 AM »
All best vibes for recovery, sir!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1094 on: February 17, 2020, 07:13:26 AM »
I have long been wanting to get my soundcard out of my noisy computer, especially because of the headphone output. I make most in headphones, so I want a relatively high quality headphone amplifier.

The AIO has served me fine, I just do not want to rely on PCIe slots anymore, so I will switch to a Babyface Pro FS soon. It has the two analog stereo inputs I need for Quantum and PRO3, and the headphone outs are a big step up for me.

I still do not know if I will ever need a third synth, or even more, so I can live with the Babyface for some time without problems.

If I decide I want more, I will just find an ADAT converter for the Babyface, and add 4 more stereo synths to it... In that case, I will simply replace the right side of my desktop for a 4 unit Jasper keyboard stand, problem solved.

Now all I am waiting for is me PRO3 SE to arrive... Tapping fingers here  :o

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1095 on: February 23, 2020, 11:47:51 PM »
So much for preordering and waiting... SE version should be ready by end febuary, but now my order is shown to be delayed another three to four weeks and will fall right in the middle of my operation where I won't be home to recieve it... Perfect timing... I had actually been looking forward to try it out before I go, but that was not meant to be... Obviously ::)

Well... I guess the torture has been extended...  :o

Shaw

« Reply #1096 on: February 24, 2020, 05:21:28 AM »
So much for preordering and waiting... SE version should be ready by end febuary, but now my order is shown to be delayed another three to four weeks and will fall right in the middle of my operation where I won't be home to recieve it... Perfect timing... I had actually been looking forward to try it out before I go, but that was not meant to be... Obviously ::)

Well... I guess the torture has been extended...  :o

:(

https://youtu.be/dzc5vW9Ze44
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1097 on: February 27, 2020, 06:24:56 PM »
Well... as the PRO3 SE was delayed, and now also the PRO3, I decided that maybe it was better if I waited a bit getting this synth, and see what the reactions are after it's release... I'd like to see what bugs are present from the get go etc. before I actually buy the thing.

Instead I decided, that I'd invest in another synth I've been wanting since it came out, both because it is insanely cool sounding, and also a very deep polysynth. I need something to layer with my 8voice Quantum, which was what the PRO3 was basically meant to do, but it is nice that this synth is actually a polysynth for many different reasons.

I'm talking about a Novation SUMMIT, which I have now ordered. It has a lot of unique things, even if it's sonic territory is a lot of the same as the Quantum, but point is that both have their own character and bells and whistles.

Here are some of the reasons I want it:

1. 16 voices of polyphony... lets face it... with dual timbrality you need at least 16 voices.
2. Dual Timbrality. It gives you so many sound editing possibilities when layering.
3. The new filters that can be split and routed in various ways, very useful.
4. The FPGA oscillators, which simply sound fantastic compared to anything else.
5. The FPGA FX engine which has probably the coolest ambient reverb ever put into a synth.
6. It's rhythmic Arpeggiator which is rather useful... will be used a lot with layering the Quantum.
7. It's multiple instances of analog distortion possibilities which gives some unique opportunities.

So even, if at first glance, the SUMMIT may seem overkill when you already own a QUANTUM, you can also see that it has a lot on offer, that the QUANTUM just do not.

Unfortunately this also forces me to finaly buy a Jasper keyboard stand... I'll get one with room for four to begin with, that way I'm covered if I decide I will add an ADAT converter for four more stereo synths at some point. My next purchase will undoubtedly be an RME BabyFace Pro FS, to get my soundcard out of the computer, and it has a maximum of 12 channels including the ADAT channels, equaling a maximum of 6 synths connected at any one time... I'll keep that as my future limit, even If I had decided for three synths only... I won't be able to control myself anyway, and I really don't care anymore to be honest.

After these two, I'll get the Pro3, but as the setup will have changed since, I do not need an angled front panel, so it will most likely be the standard version instead... i'm not paying that much extra for a bunch of wood basically.

So the real analog oscillators will have to wait a bit... but that's ok, I will focus on Quantum and SUMMIT for the time being which is more than enough right now.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:27:50 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1098 on: March 03, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
Now that I ordered the SUMMIT, and have gotten used to that shift from PRO3 mono to SUMMIT poly, I can say that I am glad I decided to put the PRO3 on hold.

What I initially was after with my 3 synth setup was actually one big synth with 3 layers, mainly because I enjoy playing an arpeggio layer on a pad layer, and would like to play more with live polyrhythmic stuff, and that require some synths that has both arpeggiators and sequencers that can trigger when playing live, and preferably are dual timbral so I can get up to six different tracks going in layered modes.

This was why PRO3 was interresting (one reason) since it has both and even let you arpeggiate sequenced patterns.

What gnaws most with me about PRO3 is the fact that it is only monophonic, as my genre is more minded toward polysynths.

I am still on the marked for that 3rd synth, but with Quantum and Summit working together already, it is really hard to find anything interresting.

I am still thinking heavilly about getting an analog polysynth since I have no vcos... But with now two keybeds of 5 octaves it is impossible to fit in another 5oct keyboard here, so it would have to be a desktop module, or no more than 3oct.

I do not think a 4oct P6 or OB6 would fit, otherwise that could work, but I do not like the shallow engine depth... Everytime I try to look at an analog poly that seem to hit most of my sweetspots, it is REV2... But I really do not want that filter!

So in the end, my current interrest falls on the PRO3... Again... I will probably end up with that one as soon as I have the money for it, unless another miracle happens on the marked before that. Had PRO3 been polyphonic, with 8 to 16 voices and dual timbrality, it would have been selfwritten.

Another solution would be a simplified polyphonic version of the PRO3, with 6 voices like in the same lineup as p6 and ob6... That with a 3 or 4oct keybed, and I would be on it... If only feasible with one filter, then the new ladder variant, no doubt!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:29:15 PM by Razmo »

OceanMachine

« Reply #1099 on: March 03, 2020, 11:10:33 PM »
I've now got the LFE for my P6. I won't even go back and add extra modulation to the majority of the hundred patches I've already done because they sound so good as is. There's a natural beauty to them that I would frankly only convolute by doing so. I can't even imagine stacking a Quantum and Summit, let alone adding yet another synth to the mix all playing the same line.

My Summit is still on back order and I'm worried that I might not even get mine as the store is reportedly closing...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:24:09 AM by Paul Dither »