Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1060 on: December 04, 2019, 06:17:56 AM »
I also decided to take the GAS fighting a step further... I will only be using the Quantum, and nothing else... I realized that three synths was just another excuse to buy more gear when the QUANTUM can do so many different types of synthesis anyway.
Of synths to try to tackle the world with, the Quantum is an excellent choice. It is a bit of a unique Chamaeleon in today’s synthesizer marketplace, and it really can tackle lots of various sonic ground.
Does this mean you’re selling your other synthesizers?

Yes... GT is the only one left. Two synthesizers mean double the space, half focus on each... I have to do This... it is me and my Quantum to the grave... I Will NOT even upgrade it if something new Can beat it because all my Sounds Will NOT port over Then.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1061 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
It's finally here  :)

Must say that the built quality of this thing is ace... the keybed is probably the best I've played, especially with the aftertouch which is absolutely perfect... I almost quit on aftertouch because most keybeds suck at it, but this is actually useable. I was also surprised to see that both wheels are of solid metal giving them a really sturdy feel.

The visual feedback on this thing is nothing short of incredible... the color LEDs on the knobs may look like a christmas tree, but it's really informative, and all the moving/animated feedback on the display is really helpfull... even the FX compressor has vicual feedback on how it lowers the volume in realtime with waveform view and all... really impressive.

I also like the sound a lot... it sits very neutral I'd say, so it's not a MOOG bass boomer, but it certainly has bass if you want it to.

I'm really happy with thi synth... finally I'm free from SoundDiver and third party editors for synths... it's a completely self contained piece of gear. It will do almost any sound, and is especially suited for ambient styles.

now it is time to dive in deep and get to know this synth all out...

I don't think I woud miss anything else, except maybe for the lack of analog oscillators, but I will not know for sure until I've spent a lot more time with it... currently I can see an advantage in having this plus a MOOG ONE, as they would complement each other nicely I think... maybe a less expensive solution like a monophonic analog synth to go with it for those analog ocillators... Maybe even a Waldorf Pulse 2 would do the trick nicely... but now we're into GAS territory again, so I better just SHUT UP and get going  ;D

OceanMachine

« Reply #1062 on: December 11, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
A normal card deck has 52 cards in it and can supposedly be shuffled 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000 different ways. People claim the P6 is bread and butter, yet every time I switch it on I learn something new, however subtle it may be. As long as I have a nice poly VCO, I'm happy and if I had a Moog One I certainly wouldn't need another synth. As it is, I'm never going to run out of new pleasing and usable sound palettes.

Shaw

« Reply #1063 on: December 11, 2019, 09:31:15 PM »
It's finally here  :)

Must say that the built quality of this thing is ace... the keybed is probably the best I've played, especially with the aftertouch which is absolutely perfect... I almost quit on aftertouch because most keybeds suck at it, but this is actually useable. I was also surprised to see that both wheels are of solid metal giving them a really sturdy feel.

The visual feedback on this thing is nothing short of incredible... the color LEDs on the knobs may look like a christmas tree, but it's really informative, and all the moving/animated feedback on the display is really helpfull... even the FX compressor has vicual feedback on how it lowers the volume in realtime with waveform view and all... really impressive.

I also like the sound a lot... it sits very neutral I'd say, so it's not a MOOG bass boomer, but it certainly has bass if you want it to.

I'm really happy with thi synth... finally I'm free from SoundDiver and third party editors for synths... it's a completely self contained piece of gear. It will do almost any sound, and is especially suited for ambient styles.

now it is time to dive in deep and get to know this synth all out...

I don't think I woud miss anything else, except maybe for the lack of analog oscillators, but I will not know for sure until I've spent a lot more time with it... currently I can see an advantage in having this plus a MOOG ONE, as they would complement each other nicely I think... maybe a less expensive solution like a monophonic analog synth to go with it for those analog ocillators... Maybe even a Waldorf Pulse 2 would do the trick nicely... but now we're into GAS territory again, so I better just SHUT UP and get going  ;D
Bitchin'!  There's something to be said about siting down with one instrument and hitting record.

Congratulations!   :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1064 on: December 12, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
I wanted a directional shotgun microphone to go with my Quantum, so that I can record all types of acoustic things, and I have ordered a Sennheiser MKH 416 P48... I think this will prove useful, both at home and out in the fields.

I quickly realized though, that it is a condenser mic, and that it wants 48v of phantom power that neither Quantum or RME AIO soundcard has, so now I have had to order a standalone preamp as well  ::) ... for outdoor use I will have to find yet another solution, but that can wait.

Also, next month I may purchase an e Touche controller for the Quantum. Quantum has a host USB port that should allow to connect this directly to the Quantum. I find that with so many ways to modulate stuff on the Quantum, and 40 modulation slots, that some extra physical controls would be handy, and the e Touche controller looks nice and sensitive.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1065 on: December 22, 2019, 10:46:50 PM »
And something to make it work with phantom power outside was also needed  ::)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1066 on: January 21, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
Well... It seems like I have found the right tool for my third synth. .. PRO3... I have really warmed up to the PRO3 sound as it seems to have both that cool vintage sound that I need for basses, leads and sequences, but also what to me remind me of the dirty hybrid sound of the Evolvers.

The Evolvers hybrid architecture always sounded profoundly hybrid to me... Not just what sounds like digital oscillators thru analog filters... Many other hybrids do not have that character, but Evolver and Pro3 does... PROOHET12 do not for some reason... It sounds too "separated" in lack of better words... Many things digital sounds too clinic even thru analog filters i feel... A good hybrid sound makes the digital part morph into something in between digital and analog, making it its own sound character... Do not know how else to describe it. Other old synths that had this was Microwave 1, ESQ-1 and the like.

I will also be using the PRO3 as a source for samples for Quantum, trying to pull some of that analog sound into polyphony on Quantum for pads etc.

I've allready saved up more than half the SE price, and should have it funded in two months time which fits the date at which Thomann will have it in stock... So until then it is just me and my Quantum spending some quality time together.

I hope I will get used to programing the PRO3 solely from its panel so that I do not have to create editors again... But it looks like it would be easy to get used to.

jg666

« Reply #1067 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:04 AM »
I find the Pro2 easy enough to use from the panel alone and it looks like they've made the Pro3 even better from this point of view, so I can't imagine you having any issues with it :)

One of the main things I miss when going from the Pro2 to any of my other synths is the view of the envelopes on the screen. I find that really useful.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1068 on: January 22, 2020, 02:13:15 AM »
I find the Pro2 easy enough to use from the panel alone and it looks like they've made the Pro3 even better from this point of view, so I can't imagine you having any issues with it :)

One of the main things I miss when going from the Pro2 to any of my other synths is the view of the envelopes on the screen. I find that really useful.

I assume that PRO3 will also have that feature (?) ... but yes... any parameter you tweak should be viewable in the display, especially with those few controls that serve as more than one parameter like the LFOs and Envelopes.

« Reply #1069 on: January 22, 2020, 02:15:22 AM »

I assume that PRO3 will also have that feature (?)

Yes, the Pro 3 displays the envelopes.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1070 on: January 26, 2020, 03:54:06 AM »
Now with two of my three synths sorted out, and with nothing on the market right now that seems to bring what I need of the third and last synth, I have been thinking what i exactly would need... it is not really at all that easy, since Quantum and Pro3 will cover an enormous lot of synthesis ground already...

The Quantum gives FM, Wavetable, Granular, Regular sampler, Resonator and VA synthesis in the digital realm which cover almost everything, and more may be added in the future... it even has analog filters to boot... but even with all that, you can easily hear that Quantum is a hybrid... the missing real vcos is rather clear, and the digital front end sounds much like the typical Blofeld... polished and clinic with the analog tearing it up a bit... it is a magnificent synth, but I realized that for certain types of sounds, I would have to go for analog oscillators and a ladder filter.

This is where the PRO3 comes in... it will fill out that gap perfectly, and give me loads of other options due to its digital wavetable oscillator... it is litterally the perfect solution for me.

But that makes it even harder to decide for the third synth, since my requirement is that it fill a needed role in my setup, and there is not much left... one thing that would lure me is maybe a polyphonic analog synth with at least 16 voices, but I want vcos and discrete filters with a different character to what I allready have... and Curtis filters is out of the question. I want patch storage, built in FX and stereo outs plus a mod matrix. Built in Arp and Sequencer is a must too.

In essence, the REV2 is what come closest to the goal, but I do not want it with Curtis filters, so I thought, why not a Sequencial poly analog synth like REV2 that has 2 standard PRO3 VCOs with a sub oscillator per VCO... then make a VCF plugin system with a 16 VCFs on it, so that the user could buy the filter he likes most. Ladder, ob6, p6, SSI etc... maybe even others like ARP, Wasp, Polivoks etc. If the filter could be inserted like a cartridge it would be even cooler... people would want to have more than one cartridge. This also reduce the added cost of having more filter types in a polysynth etc.

I am sure Sequential could make it even better enginewise than the REV2 I only gave that as an example...

Keywords:

Deep engine
Exchangeable filter cartridge
VCOs
One function per knob philosophy (no dual timbral functionality please!)
High quality keybed plus desktop version
Built in FX

Shaw

Re: Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1071 on: January 26, 2020, 07:04:55 AM »
Now with two of my three synths sorted out, and with nothing on the market right now that seems to bring what I need of the third and last synth, I have been thinking what i exactly would need...

I thought your 3 synths were the Quantum, V-Synth and Pro-3?   
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1072 on: January 26, 2020, 07:17:44 AM »
Now with two of my three synths sorted out, and with nothing on the market right now that seems to bring what I need of the third and last synth, I have been thinking what i exactly would need...

I have shelved the V-Synth... I cannot part with it until I find that third synth, so yes, it is that third synth until a proper replacement is found  ;)... But I am pretty cerain it will be replaced at some point... Only the time is unknown.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:19:34 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #1073 on: January 26, 2020, 07:53:38 AM »
.....transplanted response from the ‘Next New DSI Synth’ thread

Now with two of my three synths sorted out, and with nothing on the market right now that seems to bring what I need of the third and last synth, I have been thinking what i exactly would need... it is not really at all that easy, since Quantum and Pro3 will cover an enormous lot of synthesis ground already...

The Quantum gives FM, Wavetable, Granular, Regular sampler, Resonator and VA synthesis in the digital realm which cover almost everything, and more may be added in the future... it even has analog filters to boot... but even with all that, you can easily hear that Quantum is a hybrid... the missing real vcos is rather clear, and the digital front end sounds much like the typical Blofeld... polished and clinic with the analog tearing it up a bit... it is a magnificent synth, but I realized that for certain types of sounds, I would have to go for analog oscillators and a ladder filter.

This is where the PRO3 comes in... it will fill out that gap perfectly, and give me loads of other options due to its digital wavetable oscillator... it is litterally the perfect solution for me.

But that makes it even harder to decide for the third synth, since my requirement is that it fill a needed role in my setup, and there is not much left... one thing that would lure me is maybe a polyphonic analog synth with at least 16 voices, but I want vcos and discrete filters with a different character to what I allready have... and Curtis filters is out of the question. I want patch storage, built in FX and stereo outs plus a mod matrix. Built in Arp and Sequencer is a must too.

In essence, the REV2 is what come closest to the goal, but I do not want it with Curtis filters, so I thought, why not a Sequencial poly analog synth like REV2 that has 2 standard PRO3 VCOs with a sub oscillator per VCO... then make a VCF plugin system with a 16 VCFs on it, so that the user could buy the filter he likes most. Ladder, ob6, p6, SSI etc... maybe even others like ARP, Wasp, Polivoks etc. If the filter could be inserted like a cartridge it would be even cooler... people would want to have more than one cartridge. This also reduce the added cost of having more filter types in a polysynth etc.

I am sure Sequential could make it even better enginewise than the REV2 I only gave that as an example...

Keywords:

Deep engine
Exchangeable filter cartridge
VCOs
One function per knob philosophy (no dual timbral functionality please!)
High quality keybed plus desktop version
Built in FX

Well, your third synth seems like it will either be the Moog One, Prologue 16, or an Andromeda.

Or you could get creative with a synth + effects combination like:
- SE Omega 8 + and Eventide Elipse
- Oberheim OBX + a pair of Eventide H9 pedals
- Juno 106 + Kurzweil KSP8

Or you could get creative by doing a pair of smaller polys and treating them as one synth:
- and OB6 keyboard + Desktop model (add an LFE and there’s your mod matrix)
- a pair of Deckard’s Dreams
- a Jupiter 6 and an MKS-80

... lots of possibilities there.

I have shelved the V-Synth... I cannot part with it until I find that third synth, so yes, it is that third synth until a proper replacement is found  ;) ... But I am pretty cerain it will be replaced at some point... Only the time is unknown.

Keep looking.  :)

OceanMachine

« Reply #1074 on: January 26, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
My recommendation would be to stick with the Quantum and get either a P6 or Ob-6 instead of the Pro 3. The Quantum is capable of any kind of fanciful sound design that you can think of, yet it's clinical and lacks in the raw organic department. This is where the aforementioned VCO polys come into play. Even though the P6 for example lacks the modulation capabilities of say, the REV2, it's far more versatile in the raw timbre department with its poly mod section and analog HPF, sprinkled in with a tiny bit of analog distortion when a little girth is needed. The timbre and the way they behave when played constantly reminds me of playing real instruments far more than any sample of an acoustic instrument or DCO/NCO synths with lots of modulation options. That said, it's not going to sound more like a piano than a sample of a piano, but also that it's not meant to. I thought of perhaps adding the low frequency expander to my P6, then I listened to some examples and realized how much the extra modulation detracts from the elegant nature of the sounds it produces. I realized that perhaps the very most beautiful sounds I've heard on records come from VCO synths that have no more than one LFO. That's exactly where VCOs have a chance to shine imo. Look at what the Matrix 12 can do compared to the OB-X, yet which of the two is more highly coveted in general. Also look at how many people say they prefer their OB-6 over their One.

With that extremely logical two synth setup, I don't think you'd need anything else for a very long time. You can also save lots of space by getting the module and playing everything on the nice five octave TP/8S of the Quantum. This is coming from someone who has had the Quantum (albeit only briefly) and has owned pretty much every DSI product in one form or another.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1075 on: January 26, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »
I actiually had the OB6 in mind for the third, but unfortubately it lacks a ladder filter... That filter is very important to me to get close to moog modular bass sequences, and had the PRO3 not had it, I probably would not have gotten it... The three filters is one very big reason I want this... Plus the analog vcos ofcourse.

So I cannot replace the PRO3 for a P6 or OB6... My main concern with these are rather that they do not give me 8 voices... But I have not totally dismissed them

One certsin thing is that the third synth must be a desktop... I do not have the space, which is also why i chose to shelve the GT until I want to use it.

The engine depth of a P6 or OB6 does not concern me since I can use the Quantum for the complex dtuff... The unique thing I want from an analog poly must be something the Quantum cannot, and basically that can only get down to the same as for PRO3... Vcos and vcfs... Thus I can see why you woulld have me considder a P6 or OB6... Had there been a 6voice ladder as well as thise two, I might have simply gotten one of each and the Quantum and leave out the PRO3... But then again... PRO3 has one more unique aspect: paraphonic which to me sounds cool for many things... Also the arp and sequencer are supperior and something I really want to use when layering with Quantum... You have to understand that I layer all three synths as if they were a single entity, for some massive layered performances, and PRO3 fits perfectly in this from so many angles.

I am not in doubt about PRO3... I am in doubt about the third synth... I just cannot find any selfcontained analog poly that fit the bill yet... But it will come... I am sure of it  :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1076 on: January 26, 2020, 11:48:23 AM »
I actiually had the OB6 in mind for the third, but unfortubately it lacks a ladder filter... That filter is very important to me to get close to moog modular bass sequences, and had the PRO3 not had it, I probably would not have gotten it... The three filters is one very big reason I want this... Plus the analog vcos ofcourse.

So I cannot replace the PRO3 for a P6 or OB6... My main concern with these are rather that they do not give me 8 voices... But I have not totally dismissed them

One certain thing is that the third synth must be a desktop... I do not have the space, which is also why i chose to shelve the GT until I want to use it.

The engine depth of a P6 or OB6 does not concern me since I can use the Quantum for the complex stuff... The unique thing I want from an analog poly must be something the Quantum cannot, and basically that can only get down to the same as for PRO3... Vcos and vcfs... Thus I can see why you would have me considder a P6 or OB6... Had there been a 6voice ladder as well as these two, I might have simply gotten one of each and the Quantum and leave out the PRO3... But then again... PRO3 has one more unique aspect: paraphonic which to me sounds cool for many things... Also the arp and sequencer are supperior and something I really want to use when layering with Quantum... You have to understand that I layer all three synths as if they were a single entity, for some massive layered performances, and PRO3 fits perfectly in this from so many angles.

I am not in doubt about PRO3... I am in doubt about the third synth... I just cannot find any selfcontained analog poly that fit the bill yet... But it will come... I am sure of it  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:50:56 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #1077 on: January 26, 2020, 12:33:48 PM »
Sounds like you're waiting for a poly desktop Moog.

Else....

https://youtu.be/wfPMvBxwdbg

OceanMachine

« Reply #1078 on: January 26, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
Moog seems to have raised the price of the One in the States by half a grand. Crazy.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1079 on: January 26, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
Moog ONE in desktop will never happen... A 16 rack Slim Phatty is overkill...

And no, I do not really need a MOOG now that the ladder filter is in PRO3... I would actually like a totally different filter than p6, ob6 and ladder, but which lend itself nicely to pads, strings... Preferably a little oldschool dirty with saturation capabilities to create pads and strings that sound a bit 70s.... ARP filters maybe... I like ARP filters too... Or maybe a new synth using the SSI filter chips... I ONCE HAD A Korg Polysix and those SSM filters together with their oscillator chips sounded really warm and fuzzy... I actually would like a poly with analog fx too like the polysix.

Anyway... Current synths du not fit the bill except for maybe the Xerxes from Black Coorporation, though not vcos... It sounds really cool.