Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1040 on: November 23, 2019, 04:41:20 AM »
Time for a little update...

A lot has hapened latelely... first off I've had to send my father off to the other side, which made me think a lot about my life when it comes to one day having to look back and judge your life... and that has made me think a lot about GAS to be honest... I already did start a movement towards stopping it, but thinking about my father who really did not do much with his life, I started thinking hard about if I wanted to sit in 25 years, looking back and the only legacy I've made for myself, is a hell of a lot of knowledge about synthesizers... that's just knowledge... I'll take that with me to my grave, and I can feel that this is not what I want... I want to have something that will outlast me... some serious music... something that I can look back on and be satisfied with... not that others need to like it, I just have to be happy about it myself.

So my path for a three synthesizer setup and a DAW is still very much the path I'm on... I will choose these three very wisely because when they have been bought, I WILL NOT buy another synth again... these three I want to dive into, 100% becoming an absolute poweruser in them... I want to build a huge library of sounds for them, so therefore they cannot be replaced by anything newer, because then I'll loose all the sounds I've made for them... I already tried this with the REV2... will not happen again.

These three must have presets... I just have to accept, that I cannot live without the ability to browse presets fast when I compose... sound design and composing are two different stages.

The synths must complement each other and cover a broad selection of synthesis methods, but most importantly, they must be completely selfcontained, have a storage medium and have a relatively large touch display... I want to edit sounds and do sound design directly on the synth, thus all three must have keys as well... I also prefer to have effects be part of the sound design process, so all should have built in quality FX.

Two of the synths have been found... the first is the Roland - V-Synth GT... I simply cannot find anything else like it out there, and even if it's 100% digital, it sounds really good. One of it's main advantages for me is the VariPhrase synthesis that allow me to manipulate formants... I simpy cannot find any other synth that will give me that kind of natural sounding vocal phrases that can be manipulated in both pitch, time and formant individually, and choral sounds is very important for the type of music I want to make... if the V-Synth GT did not have this feature, I'd probably not choose it as one of the synths because it lacks on another very important thing; modulation and engine depth... even if the V-Synths seem deep at a glance, and do have a lot going on, each section in the audio path only have 1 LFO and 1 Envelope... there is no modulation matrix, and that quickly can be limiting... an example is the "OSC" section... here you can change both formants, time and pitch... but all three share the same LFO end Envelope whcih is really crippling if you want to mosulate all three parameters... this means that the samples must be very carefully chosen to include a lot of the modulation you want... so if you have a choir sample for example, then it better have vibrato in it, if you need it because if you need to put vibrato on it via an LFO, then the LFO is used up... that's it.

This means that for truly deep synthesis, the V-Synth GT will not cut it... it's power lies in the complexity of the samples you use themselves mostly, which does not allow for much control...

So a deeper synth is needed for this task, and within a week or so, I'll be ordering synth number two... I have found it, and there really is no contender... Waldorf QUANTUM... It has samples as a great integral part of it's various oscillator algorithms, but all the synthesis types seem to compliment the GT... it also has the largest set of synthesis options in any synth today in my opinion... wavetable, Granular, Resonator, Sampler and with OS 2 also the new FM engine... it has the keys, it has the display... it has it all, simply put. It's expensive, but definitely what I would NEED.

So what is it that it has that the GT cannot provide? ... first off; the deepness of the engine... the modulation matrix to induce lots of physical control into the presets for live play... Another aspect is the synthesis types.. I'm really looking forward to using the granular engine... it's perfect for ambient pads etc... the resonator will be perfect for organic plucked sounds etc. and the FM for bellish tones... that topped with analog filters is just cool.

With those two synths I do not know what else I'd be missing really, except for maby those booming analog oscillators and filters of the Gransmother/Matriarch... but these two do not have displays, presets etc. so there really is only one candidate left for this position... and it's darn expensive... but I'll start saving up for it emediately, and should have the funds for it in 1-1.5 years.... yes... it's MOOG ONE... I hope this will induce just a bit of the MOOG MODULAR sound of the Matriarch/Grandmother into the tonality... I know it will not be perfect for this, but with the criteria I've got, plus I will only accept polysynths, I don't think any other polysynth will do the task better... not unless something new comes up before I have the funds to pay for it.

With those three synths, my path towards ambient bliss should be set...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jg666

« Reply #1041 on: November 23, 2019, 06:21:35 AM »
Enjoy your new synths mate :) I’ve lot both my parents and after my dad died I bought my first synth and then got obsessed after that first one. Like yourself I started to think ‘what’s the point in just existing on the planet without having things that you enjoy’. I’ve worked hard and don’t want to look back on life thinking that I could have bought more synths :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #1042 on: November 23, 2019, 08:01:46 AM »
I lost my father yesterday Raz. So the only thing I want to say is I wish you nothing but success and enjoyment on your path to ambient bliss.

Shaw

« Reply #1043 on: November 23, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »
I lost my father yesterday Raz. So the only thing I want to say is I wish you nothing but success and enjoyment on your path to ambient bliss.
My deepest condolences to you both.  While I don't know either of you personally, I've interacted with both of you on this forum long enough to know this:  you have each had instilled in of you a decency and respect for others that we hope to exist in all men.  I would expect your fathers would have played a large part in that.

I wish a deep harmony decend upon your hearts during this time of grief.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1044 on: November 23, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
Sorry to hear of your losses, Razmo and Lobolives.  May your fathers rest in peace.

jg666

« Reply #1045 on: November 23, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »
Condolences to you both from me too.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #1046 on: November 23, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
Razmo, LoboLives, sorry to hear of your losses.  My deepest condolences to you both.

LoboLives I'm glad you got to spend a good amount of quality time with your father recently, I have to mention envied your musical relationship with him.

Razmo, it's not "just knowledge you will take to the grave" if you continue to participate in these sorts of forums, where way more people are readers than writers.  I understand your desire to leave behind some serious music and have thought about that too, but also have seen so much music be forgotten about over the years.  I prefer to focus on the knowledge that I can pass-on.  You must know that your adventures in GAS are incredibly insightful for others.  If you continue to share, your knowledge is not wasted on yourself alone and you leave something behind that can live on.  It is an absolute shame that the midiwall archives went down all those years ago.  I like to think that these pages along with some other forums may find their way to a similar archive that won't drop in the years to come.
Then there are the patches!  I know I am still rather humbled that my Microwave XT patches can be accessed and used by users today thanks to Waldorf.  If only there were a universal repository for patches could be uploaded for the purpose of sharing the love.   Hmm maybe it's about time some sort of archive.org project to that end should be started?  Of course there are those who turn a dollar for their programming but I like to think something like what happened with the Waldorf user soundsets could happen on a grander scale somewhere and not just for one company's instruments.

[afterword: too much coffee and idealist thoughts, please don't be too harsh on my ramblings!]

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1047 on: November 24, 2019, 03:44:20 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the condolences, it's appreciated... I'll comment more in depth later as I'm a bit caught up right now  :)

« Reply #1048 on: November 24, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
My condolences to you, Razmo and LoboLives. And lots of love and support throughout this time.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #1049 on: November 24, 2019, 10:58:32 PM »
I would also like to add my condolences to you both Razmo and LoboLives. I wish lots of love and strength to you and your families.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #1050 on: November 25, 2019, 12:45:04 AM »
Razmo and Lobolives sorry to hear about your Dads.

My Dad also died a couple of months ago so we have a small club going here.

All the best to you and your families.

Andy

blewis

« Reply #1051 on: November 25, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your family’s losses.

« Reply #1052 on: November 26, 2019, 03:36:57 AM »
Best thoughts to you, Razmo and Lobo, and peace to your families.

chysn

« Reply #1053 on: November 26, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
So sorry to learn about this, guys.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1054 on: December 03, 2019, 04:24:30 AM »
Just ordered the Quantum last night, should be here one of the following days... Really exited to start using it.

I also decided to take the GAS fighting a step further... I will only be using the Quantum, and nothing else... I realized that three synths was just another excuse to buy more gear when the QUANTUM can do so many different types of synthesis anyway.

So the setup will be very very simple... Just the Q into a single stereo input on my DAW audio card, a pair of speakers and headphones... A mobile recorder and a shotgun mic. Too, to create my own samples.

I may update my audio card, speakers and headphones along the way, but it is not essential.

jg666

« Reply #1055 on: December 03, 2019, 04:27:15 AM »
Really jealous of that Quantum:) I watched the videos Tim Shoebridge did about it and I must admit that what I’ve seen so far appeals to my software developer mind!

OceanMachine

« Reply #1056 on: December 03, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
I had a Quantum, but it was defective. In the honeymoon stage I thought it was going to be the greatest digital front-end synth since the PPG Wave. Alas it was too clinical for my taste and can't hold a candle to the PPG.

Right now I only have a P6 and Rytm MkII, which is all I really need. Unless Sequential releases something similar to Paul's Prophet Wave design or a knobby FM synth, I won't be buying anything anytime soon.

Shaw

« Reply #1057 on: December 03, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
Just ordered the Quantum last night, should be here one of the following days... Really exited to start using it.

I also decided to take the GAS fighting a step further... I will only be using the Quantum, and nothing else... I realized that three synths was just another excuse to buy more gear when the QUANTUM can do so many different types of synthesis anyway.

So the setup will be very very simple... Just the Q into a single stereo input on my DAW audio card, a pair of speakers and headphones... A mobile recorder and a shotgun mic. Too, to create my own samples.

I may update my audio card, speakers and headphones along the way, but it is not essential.
Annnddd........ the saga continues.  Very much looking forward to it.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #1058 on: December 03, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
... I will only be using the Quantum, and nothing else... I realized that three synths was just another excuse to buy more gear when the QUANTUM can do so many different types of synthesis anyway.

I'm sure I've heard you say this before ;)  I keep buying stuff I shouldn't be if I want to get a Quantum :-\

I had something similar some years ago, but with an e5000 being fed by a mixer with various sources, back into the same mixer (yay for 6 bus mixers), then going into an old Yammy MT120 4trk.  The E-MU Ultras were absolute beasts of synths.
 Sample well and you could do almost any form of synthesis.  The only thing they lacked was a good control surface.

Supposedly I am in slim-mode right now but I can't seem to curb the GAS, which is eating my Quantum fund.  I was going to stick at one drummer, one synth, one sequencer.  It's now three drummers (ADX-1 Uno Drum, Volca Drum), three synths (Blofeld, Pulse 1, MicroFreak), three sequencers (BSP, Keystep and another).  Need to get through seven more months before I even have the space for a fullsize keyed synth so there is still hope!

Shaw

« Reply #1059 on: December 03, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
Of synths to try to tackle the world with, the Quantum is an excellent choice. It is a bit of a unique Chamaeleon in today’s synthesizer marketplace, and it really can tackle lots of various sonic ground.
Does this mean you’re selling your other synthesizers?