Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Shaw

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1020 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »
But I actually am thinking in the direction of a Prophet X anyway... i did say earlier that i would not get one

Which we all know means you're 100% going to get one within 8-10 months.

;D
75% in 6 months or so. 
Come on in Razmo, the water is warm...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1021 on: July 29, 2019, 05:17:50 AM »
I guess this is what happens when you create too much Dark Ambient music...  ???
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #1022 on: July 29, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
I guess this is what happens when you create too much Dark Ambient music...  ???

;D They still look rather cheerful and sociable.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1023 on: August 27, 2019, 05:01:21 AM »
I'm having a bit of a hard time getting used to using a mixer in a computer... I'm simply too old school... I want something that I can turn some knobs on, and also I've got these painful thoughts that I want my studio to be completely independent from a computer... well... to a degree... because i still have some things I cannot see myself doing with anything else but a computer... MIDI sequencing for example... i really do not like hardware sequencers, and I still need my editors, and some way of recording the final 2-channel mix.

So I just got this Mackie ONYX 1220i compact analog mixer... I've got a long record of using Mackie mixers, especially the ONYX ones, which I like really much... and it's a joy to once again have one in the studio.

This also means that my hectic try at doing my music using harddisk recording in layers has to be shelved... I'm going back to my oldschool way of making music by MIDI in realtime (using my trusty old SONAR DAW).

I decided that I do not want a huge setup, just a simple 9-track setup... I work best with limitations.

Other than this, there is not much changed... I'm not parting with anything, I still have a spot for my V-Synth GT as master controller and a PEAK and REV2 as additional polyphonic analog/hybrid synths.

I did decide though, that I will be getting myself four 100% analog monosynths for the mixer's 4 mono channels. My music can best be described as a mixture of Ambient and Berlin School genres, with some added occational rhythmic stuff as well, and that kind of dictated that I start using a sequencer again since Berlin School music relies heavily on sequencing... this is also where the four monosynths comes into the picture... I want the old and dusty analog tone from these to create the sequences, and they have to be able to interfere with each other in their sequences, and thus I will need semi-modular synthesizers... my idea is to let melodies played on one synth, affect parameters of another to intertwine some polyrhythmic sequences...

The four stereo channels I've reserved for the advanced and deep synths that I'll use for melodylines and ambient stuff... there is only one spot left there, as three of them is already taken by the V-Synth GT, REV2, and PEAK... still do not know what this will be... there is nothing that really drives my GAS right now...

The 9th track is coming into the mixer via a stereo return, as is meant for a completely standalone drummachine with sample capabilities, and that also has built in FX... since I cannot EQ, FX or anything on this input, the drummachine must simply be all inclusive, and the only candidate I've found thus far is the Roland TR-8S, and it'll probably be that one.

Initially I also thought about getting a VENTRIS and NEMESIS pedal for the two AUX sends, but I ran into problems with enough input channels if I wanted both a drummmachine and my DAW connected as well... so I have dumped that idea at the moment... instead I'll connect the two mono AUX sends and Alt3+4 output to my RME AIO soundcard... and then simply setup some ValhallaDSP plugins from my DAW to work as FX engines... then all FX returns, Alt3+4 returns and computers audio output can be connected to a single stereo return on the mixer, leaving the other one for the TR-8S. This setup makes the most use of everything on the mixer, and I'll probably stick with that configuration because it also saves the space and money for two effects pedals... it also allow me to chain several FX on a single AUX send if I want to.

The monosynths I've chosen to go for are currently the following:

Dreadbox - NYX V2
Dreadbox - Erebus V3
Pittsburgh Modular - Microvolt 3900
Pittsburgh Modular - SV-1
Pittsburgh Modular - Voltage Research Lab
and some others... I intend on getting more of these and simply chose which ones to utilize for a project... they are pretty easy to exchange... I'll be controlling these from an 8port MIDI interface... even if I can only hook up 4 at a time to the mixer, they can be used together because of their semi-modular nature for more advanced sounds.

There are other good monosynths that could be interresting, but the ones I listed are just those that I currently find most interesting... the first will probably be the NYX this coming friday.

well... that was a "little" update from me... I'm also still working on the revised REV2 bank... I was delayed a bit because of personal stuff, but I've just finished all the sounds... only need to create 3 completely new sounds... then it's ready for release. I'm very pleased with the expressiveness of my revised sounds... I will not go back to my previous bank to be honest... a lot of the sounds have been finetuned as well, some even changed a bit...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:07:03 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1024 on: September 05, 2019, 02:50:22 AM »
Aaaahh!  8) ... I was actually hesitating to buy this, but when you've heard it upfront you do not regret a single thing!

My music is a mixture af ambient and berlin school genres (and a little something extra), and always liked when berlin school artists used those booming MOOG Modular bass sequences... I never heard that sound in the Sub37 or other MOOGs I've had, but in this one its THERE! ... probably because it IS the same curcuits of the Modular MOOG.

This thing just have a sound to it that I've wanted for a long time... even if I could hear that sound on demo's of it, it's so much more present when you sit in front of the machine.

And that build quality... just astonishing really.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:52:09 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #1025 on: September 05, 2019, 02:55:16 AM »
Congrats! I concur. The GM is a damn fine sounding synth.

LoboLives

« Reply #1026 on: September 05, 2019, 05:47:37 AM »
Congrats! I concur. The GM is a damn fine sounding synth.

I agree after I tried one in the store. Was thinking of selling my Sub 37 for some of the new Moogs.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1027 on: September 05, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
It is hard to describe it I feel... The sound is just so present... Even internet demos do not do it justice. I seriously would not mind a Matriarch too, if I just had the space for it.

The two and a half octave keybed on Grandmother is a bit limited though, if used as a master keyboard for other polysynths, but on the other hand it also create a useful limitation because each track you play with it is restricted to a certain range... Each instrument in a musical piece can easily be realised within two and a half octave, and that leaves more space in the mix for other tracks without them fighting for spectral space... If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 06:40:21 AM by Razmo »

jok3r

« Reply #1028 on: September 05, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
I played the Grandmother several times at Thomann... I would also have already pulled the trigger if there wasn‘t the Matriarch announcement.

I think the Matriarch will sound as lovely as the Grandmother... but if not, I will buy the Grandmother in a heart beat.

I was never a great Moog lover, but the sound of these two machines got me...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1029 on: September 05, 2019, 01:03:20 PM »
I played the Grandmother several times at Thomann... I would also have already pulled the trigger if there wasn‘t the Matriarch announcement.

I think the Matriarch will sound as lovely as the Grandmother... but if not, I will buy the Grandmother in a heart beat.

I was never a great Moog lover, but the sound of these two machines got me...

Yeah... the Matriach do tend to lure you... no doubt... the prie is quite a bit more though... in fact they still both hold their own as the Matriarch has the analog delay, and Grandmother the spring reverb... I could see myself have both at some point... I especially like the fact that Matriarch is a stereo synth... there are not many semo modular synths with stereo outputs... so far I have only found the Vermona Perfourmer (which is next on my list) and the new one from Analogue Solutions (which I cannot remember the name of right now).

jok3r

« Reply #1030 on: September 06, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »
Yeah... the Matriach do tend to lure you... no doubt... the prie is quite a bit more though... in fact they still both hold their own as the Matriarch has the analog delay, and Grandmother the spring reverb... I could see myself have both at some point... I especially like the fact that Matriarch is a stereo synth... there are not many semo modular synths with stereo outputs... so far I have only found the Vermona Perfourmer (which is next on my list) and the new one from Analogue Solutions (which I cannot remember the name of right now).

Well yeah, it's exactly the stereo signal path and paraphony that makes me wait. And the bigger keybed with aftertouch, which I use a lot. Having both machines is a thing I considered, too, but I will start with the matriarch first and see if I need another semimodular machine at all. Or if modular in general suits me at all, since I don't have any "long time" experience with it. At least it seems to be more interesting for me than another analogue poly synth, since my needs are covered there. 
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #1031 on: September 06, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
… and the new one from Analogue Solutions (which I cannot remember the name of right now).

Impulse Command

« Reply #1032 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »

ddp

« Reply #1033 on: September 06, 2019, 11:04:21 PM »
The keybeds in the Subsequent and Moog One are much better.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1034 on: September 07, 2019, 06:21:21 AM »
The keybeds in the Subsequent and Moog One are much better.

I assume the ONE has TP/8S ... the GRANDMOTHER are TP9/S i think... the same as in the current Sequential line and in Blofeld etc... you're right that the TP/8S is better, but still I like the TP9 as well... it feels a tad bit too "heavy" to play because of tight springs, but I assume they will loosen a bit over time.

jg666

« Reply #1035 on: September 10, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »
For those who are deciding between the 2 Moog synths (Matriarch and Grandmother) there's a video comparison on the Loopop youtube channel. He's usually very good but I admit I've not watched this one yet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjAxXwGXWk

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1036 on: September 10, 2019, 11:47:22 PM »
I saw that one yesterday... Anyway, I am planning on getting the Matriarch next... If it will replace my grandmother or I will keep both I do not know yet though... The similarity in the raw sound itself is about the same, but both have something the other do not.

I actually plan on having the Matriarch as the heart of my studio, interfacing a eurorack system right behind it, containing a numer of eurorack synth voice modules for layering... This is very nice for conservibg space rather than having seperate desktop semi modular synths taking up all desktop space.

It is a bit more expensive because you will need some eurorack casing, but in the long run, I would say that it is the best way for me. I do not intend on buying separate single function modules because it will add to the comolexity, but single voice modules are nice... They give you a little of this and that, the needed variation in oscillators and filters, and can be layered in with the Matriarch for a bit more advanced sounds... And if I want to, I can interconnect between several modules. So in essence it is just like having desktop modules, they are just nicely stored vertically, and mor easily accessible for me :)

jg666

« Reply #1037 on: September 11, 2019, 03:05:42 AM »
I saw that one yesterday... Anyway, I am planning on getting the Matriarch next... If it will replace my grandmother or I will keep both I do not know yet though... The similarity in the raw sound itself is about the same, but both have something the other do not.

I actually plan on having the Matriarch as the heart of my studio, interfacing a eurorack system right behind it, containing a numer of eurorack synth voice modules for layering... This is very nice for conservibg space rather than having seperate desktop semi modular synths taking up all desktop space.

It is a bit more expensive because you will need some eurorack casing, but in the long run, I would say that it is the best way for me. I do not intend on buying separate single function modules because it will add to the comolexity, but single voice modules are nice... They give you a little of this and that, the needed variation in oscillators and filters, and can be layered in with the Matriarch for a bit more advanced sounds... And if I want to, I can interconnect between several modules. So in essence it is just like having desktop modules, they are just nicely stored vertically, and mor easily accessible for me :)

Excellent, I think you'll have many hours of fun with that lot :) Is there a 'green with envy' emoticon?  ;D
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1038 on: September 11, 2019, 07:41:33 AM »
One thing that I would have liked on the Matriarch was that there had been a separate Pitch CV output for each of the oscillators, and not just one as is the case... the reason is, that if it had four CV outs for the four notes played in paraphonic modes, then I could have connected other oscillators in from a modular system, to simply replace the Matriarch's oscillators, and then play these paraphonically... of course that would require four of the same oscillator modules, but it would have been cool to replace them with stuff like wavetable oscillators, or even sample player oscillators :)

I can do this with monophonic stuff though, but it would have been cool to do this paraphonically as well.

The reason I find the Matriarch very suitable for being the "brain" in this setup is that everything past the Mixer is stereo... this means, that if I patch another mono semi modular into one of the mixer inputs (like say, a Behringer Neutron), then that synth's output would benefit from being given a stereo perspective by the Matriarch's stereo signal chain after the mixer... any synth plugged in would essentially be enhanced by a stereo MOOG ladder filter and a stereo MOOG BBD delay, and finally a stereo MOOG VCA for stereo panning.

Also, with four inputs in the mixer section, I can actually plug in up to four eurorack synth voices, and create monophonic synth sounds combined from four layers... use one synth to create the transient, and another for the decay etc... lots of neat sound design possibilities this way.

It's a powerful but yet simple eurorack setup... just how I want it to be... But I have to sell both my V-Synth GT and REV2 before I can afford the Matriarch... it's not exactly the cheapest of synths out there. But it WILL happen at some point, because I really like this idea for a setup.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:44:34 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1039 on: October 07, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »
Time for a little update, now that I've gone on the road to GAS defixation.

For some reason, I will not be able to get my hands on a Matriarch right now... Thomann will not have one in store for at least 7 weeks still, so I decided to put that one on hold for a little while... I WILL most definitely get one, most likely i January, until then, the GRANDMOTHER will suffice... anyway, I'm going to put all my focus on just the V-Synth GT for some time, to get to know it fully to the bottom and become a "V-Synth GT Wizard".

I still do not see what else I'll need but the V-Synth and the Matriarch/Grandmother combo... these two will give me the best of the digital and analog world that I will need to make the music I want to be making... Everytime I think about getting a third synth, I seem to end up with a "you do not need this!" realization... so I have decided, that I will not buy a third synth until I've made sounds and music with the other instruments for some time, and then time may tell me, if I really need omething else as a third option... buying a third just for the sake of it, is just giving in to GAS, and add to the complexity of my setup, having to spread my love on three instruments rather than two.

Thus I decided to buy a few things that I need for my V-Synth GT for the money I got back from the Microvolt 3900 and Neutron... First off I need a portable recorder for recording the samples I want to make sounds with... so I bought a SONY PCM-D100 for just this task which will allow me to create stereo samples if I want to.

But I'm also going to be messing with the V-Synth GT's Vocal Designer, and to have a good position for both playing and talking into a microphone I decided to get a gooseneck Microphone as well. I decided not to go cheap, and got myself a condenser gooseneck mic (EV PolarChoice 18 XLR) that have built in pattern selection and lowfreq rolloff. I may use this for other stuff than the typical vocoder sound, so quality is important.

I'll simply connect the V-Synth GT to my AIO soundcard via S/PDIF, as to obtain the cleanest signal possible when recording, and then use the analog inputs for the Matriarch/Grandmother... this means I actually still have two stereo inputs, but if I find out I won't need another synth, then i can take out the 4input option for the AIO card as well, as it will not be needed.

As a little extra to max out the GT, I decided to get another MOOG foot pedal as the GT has two pedal inputs and a hold input... this makes all controllers available to me when starting my sound design.

That' about it for now... I feel I'm doing the right thing now :)