Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #980 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:36 PM »
The PXL is hammer action
Nope, sure ain't. "Full-sized, semi-weighted, 76-key, Fatar TP/8 keyboard."

PX seems more geared toward users that do not want to mess much around with creative sample synthesis... More like a ROMpler
Nope, I just don't want to have to waste my time with importing user samples and such.

The keybed I want is TP/8S... not TP/8 because it's the one with synth action, it is not the same as in the Quantum... it's also easy to see, at the PX keys have flat fronts... and as I said.. I have no space for 76 keys :)

On the second topic... well... as I said, we have different views on how to use samples... honestly, I sometimes would wish I did not have to find samples myself... that the ones already there was a wisely chosen selection, but it is never the case for me... so I always sit and get irritated if I cannot use my own samples... the same is true for the TEMPEST to be honest... a lousy choice of samples for a drummachine that should inspire you to tweak the samples into something new... the selection is not at all broad in any way... and when the engine allow for so little modificataion of the samples as in TEMPEST it makes things even worse... Now I know that 8DIO provide a vastly larger selection, but they seem too "cinematic and effected" for my liking... FX are something I as a sound designer want to put in... should not be prsent in the samples themselves... another reason to want to use my own samples btw.

But I do get the idea of being able to not care about sample gathering and editing... it's tedious, but when no manufacturers can figure out how to implement samples that function as textural building blocks, and always have to include a bunch of multi sampled instruments and overly processed samples to "sound cool", then it's just not for me... I seriously want to use samples, but i just have to accept that i have to make my own to get what i want to work with :)

Besides... even if factory samples WAS wisely chosen, they would never be able to cover all the ground I'd want... also I enjoy taking a microphone out and record stuff... find obscure items on flee markets that make sounds to sample, and then use these... and another thing is copyright... if I want to sell a sound package that include samples, I would want the samples to be my own, as i set pride in making my sounds myself... including the samples.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:10:24 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #981 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:03 PM »
I'm done with the PEAK patch editor for SoundDiver now... a lot of parameters to set up, but in the end it will make me design sounds a lot faster because of the added overview... all parameters on the same screen which is what I prefer. SoundDiver is old, and it looks pretty boring, but it's functional value makes it worth it for me in the end.

It took some time to reverse engineer the SysEx specs (because Novation will not part with it for some stupid reason), but it was quite easy really, so if anyone want the specs, you can just write me a PM.

Actually SoundDiver supported all of the data except for the parameters that was 2bytes wide... the format they work in was not supported by SoundDiver, so when those are changed it sends the whole patch instead which makes those parameters less realtime tweakable (SoundDiver waits with the sending until you release the knob)... but it's acceptable...

The picture below should give you a clear estimation of how many prameters the PEAK actually has.

I should now be able to start work on a soundbank for the PEAK.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #982 on: February 20, 2019, 11:54:36 PM »
I've begun my next soundbank, but this time for the PEAK.... another experimental soundbank for Ambient and Fantasy music in general.

First patch had an "X-Files" character, so I named it Z-Files: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Z-Files.mp3

Having my editor makes things a lot easier... I'm simply too used to that program to let it go I guess :)

But boy would i wish that Sequential synths had a reverb like the PEAK in quality... that reverb is simply gorgeous to work with... With PEAK I would not be in need of any external FX processor at all, except maybe if I needed a Phaser which it for some reason do not have.

The delay is also really neat, especially the ability to dial in ratios between left and right side, giving you all strange kinds of panning delays... the chorus is also neat, and that these three can be routed in parallel or any other type of serial configuration makes the FX section really useful... I think that the FX section is an area where Sequential really could up their game a bit, especially regarding simultaneous use and routings, but also the quality of the FX. This is just the future of hardware synths; built in FX... and manipulation thru mod matrix... the later being why it is so important because you cannot control an external FX engine from a synths modulation matrix, and that is key to making expressive use of an FX engine.

jg666

« Reply #983 on: February 22, 2019, 01:44:49 AM »
As a matter of interest, where did you buy your peak from? I've been looking around on the internet and the cheapest place at the moment in the UK seems to be Amazon at £999.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #984 on: February 22, 2019, 07:37:52 AM »
As a matter of interest, where did you buy your peak from? I've been looking around on the internet and the cheapest place at the moment in the UK seems to be Amazon at £999.

Actually Amazon was even cheaper than that yesterday when I looked. I think it was £920. Seems to have gone back up today.

jg666

« Reply #985 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »

Actually Amazon was even cheaper than that yesterday when I looked. I think it was £920. Seems to have gone back up today.

Cheers for the info, I’ll keep an eye on it :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #986 on: February 22, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »

A french store I found on EBAY called something like "global music store" ... Was the cheapest option for me... I asked Thomann, but they said they will not have the PEAK on their product list again... So had no other option

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #987 on: March 02, 2019, 04:55:44 AM »
It's simply too cheap and too advanced to not try this out... call me traitor or whatever you want, i really do not care... i want this for it's very flexible FX enigine and deep synthesis, and the fact that it's simply a different filter than the Curtis filter which I know to death from having had both Evolvers, Prophets and Tempest... I need some other flavors of filters... and it's SysEx specs is SoundDiver friendly...even the FX section... the manual even has the structure of the dump in it (thanks Behringer! some CAN where other's obviously CAN NOT!) ...

Should be here early next week, and then I'll begin work on the editor for this.

I really look forward to the only synth i know off that has the inbuilt ability to create a shimmer reverb...

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #988 on: March 06, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
After going through multiple drum machines and samplers, I've settled on the Octatrack to fit my needs as I get up to 24 LFOs for external gear. The LFOs are fully customizable and can be sent up to 80 different CC destinations. Considering there's also parameter locks for sequenced external gear as well, I can get the craziest evolving tracks with to my ears the best sounding analog synths (along with the P6) on the market. That way I don't have to sacrifice quality for functionality. I've also been using Massive and Alchemy recently and I'm stunned at how good they sound, so I'm well covered for cold digital sounds as well. At three hardware pieces (OB-6, AS-1, and the Octatrack), I'm already overwhelmed with the possibilities. The only way I could see myself possibly getting another piece of gear anytime soon would be if Sequential releases something on par with the digital possibilities of a synth VST, except with a knobby interface. As Sequential doesn't seemed staffed for something that would require a heavily programmed UI, I don't see that happening in the near future, if ever.

Shaw

« Reply #989 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
It's simply too cheap and too advanced to not try this out... call me traitor or whatever you want, i really do not care...
TRAITOR!!!!  :)

I’m joking. No one really cares.  Make music and have fun.  Whether your using Sequential, Moog, Behringer, or a kazoo...  If you’re happy, who are we too complain.

That being said... Behringer? Really?   ;)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #990 on: March 06, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
I care!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #991 on: March 06, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
Actually I just decided to send the DeepMind12 back and get my money back... after having created almost the whole editor for it, i realize that it's not really capable of doing anything i cannot do with my REV2 ... in fact I've had an MKS-50 once, and i can tell that it sounds more thin than the actual Juno it tried to emulate... probably because it does not have the same cool analog chorus as the MKS-50.... DP12 still sounds fine with the analog part, the problem for me arised when I found out that the FX engine simply is so weirdly implemented in the Mod Matrix (regarding SysEx dumps) that it's impossible for me to finish the editor... that means I'd have to either accept the official editor (which I will not), or edit sounds on two editors (editing the FX on the official one)... that is simply too circumstancial for me... also, even if the FX engine is good, it's not THAT good that I'd want to keep it just for that... many of these FX are added post analog signal chain, so I could as well have added the FX with a plugin anyway.... yes, I know that you can ude the matrix to create weird control of FX parameters, but it's just not really me... I feel like I bought a mediocre analog synth, with an added multi FX engine taking up half the fame.

So it's going back... and I'll save the money for a while and see what else I'd want... there is really not much at the moment save a Prophet 12, but I really think I'll wait until I see what the next will be from Sequential, and just stick with my three keepers: Tempest, REV2 and PEAK...

I also had problems with voices suddenly not sounding, having to have to re calibrate the DM12... i cannot say what it is, but something just feels... "mediocre" about it... can't explain it really... it's certainly a bang for the buck, no doubt, but I just have this fealing that it does not bring anything exceptional to my table when i already have the REV2 which I like better.

Shaw

« Reply #992 on: March 06, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »
I also had problems with voices suddenly not sounding, having to have to re calibrate the DM12... i cannot say what it is, but something just feels...
I know what it is... it's that exceptional quality Chinese manufacturing process....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #993 on: March 06, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »
I also had problems with voices suddenly not sounding, having to have to re calibrate the DM12... i cannot say what it is, but something just feels...
I know what it is... it's that exceptional quality Chinese manufacturing process....

Maybe... i do not know... actually it sounded acceptable, it just did not present me with anything that made me go "I cannot live without this!" ... Does not matter anyway, I get my money back, and wait to see what's coming up next... I have a very strict requirement that I can make editors in SoundDiver for my synths... which also makes me hessitate getting a Quantum... i simply think that synth is too complex to have a SoundDiver friendly SysEx dump... if any at all... so that leaves me with the Prophet X as the only option if I ever want samples... but I'm going to ask for the SysEx specs from Sequential before ever making such a decision... also, the full sample-import utility will have to see the light of day before I ever get one... so I've simply shelved any ideas about Quantum and Prophet X for the time being... I'll probably get myself a Prophet 12 again when I've got the money, and while they can still be had... at least I know that one will work like i want it to as i already have the editor for it from when i had it in the past... I'm certain that even if Dave makes it's successor (or rather it's takeover synth), that the Prophet 12 will always have something unique anyway... just like the Evolver does... so no harm in getting one anyway I think.

It's the only interesting synth in the horizon at the moment... I still have a keen eye for an OB-6 to be honest... may get one of those also at some point... would like to have a Sequential synth with a multi mode filter.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #994 on: March 06, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »
Just wait to see what Sequential has up their sleeve next. You have a REV2, but bought a DM12 for some reason. You have a peak, but you're thinking about the P12 for some reason. If what Sequential does next blows the Peak out of the water (which I assume it will if it goes in that direction), then your purchase will be warranted. Buying a VCO or hardware sampler next if you have an itchy trigger finger sounds like a more practical option considering your setup.

Ofc this is simply my recommendation ... No one ever listens to me.  :P

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #995 on: March 07, 2019, 12:07:45 AM »
Just wait to see what Sequential has up their sleeve next. You have a REV2, but bought a DM12 for some reason. You have a peak, but you're thinking about the P12 for some reason. If what Sequential does next blows the Peak out of the water (which I assume it will if it goes in that direction), then your purchase will be warranted. Buying a VCO or hardware sampler next if you have an itchy trigger finger sounds like a more practical option considering your setup.

Ofc this is simply my recommendation ... No one ever listens to me.  :P

Ohh, but I listen! ... it's just not always that i act on it  ;D

But I actually am thinking in the direction of a Prophet X anyway... i did say earlier that i would not get one, but I'm beginning to see the writing on the wall in that regard because, if I'm ever going to find a sampler synth that also have the SysEx specs I want, then that will probably be the only real bet... there are very few synths of today that make the specs right, and Sequential is one of them... i was lucky that Novation PEAK did too... and normally MOOG and Waldorf does too, but with the complexity of Quantum, I simply do not believe the SysEx will be the way I want it to be... at least not for the Quantum.

An area that usually makes SoundDiver lack the features to create an editor is in either checksums (if the type is not supported), or if bytes in the dump is used for more than one parameter... in the later case you would want to switch between different views of parameters, depending on a single parameters value... an example is almost always FX sections... one byte designates what type of FX you want to use, and a group of bytes hold the parameter values... but the same parameter value bytes are used for any FX you choose, and as such the values in them differ from FX to FX... SoundDiver cannot handle this, and that was also how the FX in DeepMind12 was handled... PEAK have all FX available at the same time, so all FX has their own parameter byte in the dump... with Sequential, there are so few parameters, even though the same bytes are used for all FX, but the range of these parameters are always the same, so it does not matter.

Thus, the days where synths that fit my SysEx needs are being produced is probably nearing it's end because most newer synths with analog components have built in FX engines, and they will probably just get more and more advanced...

Besides... after a hard thought, I really do not want to deal with exchanging samples in a sampler synth, as I have been saying before, I'd rather like a ROMpler, but with my own set of samples so that I can create what I need, and then simply forget about sample loading forever more... That is how I would be dealing with a Prophet X... creating a sample set that match my needs carefully, and then treat it like a ROMpler with analog filters...

Regarding Sequentials next synth... I'm not sure it will take PEAK of it's piedestal... the way Sequential makes their synths are different, so I do not believe it will be able to do all it does, and IF it will compete with it, it would have to use FPGA synthesis... and I'd welcome that from Sequential actually, so by all means; i hope they will try to compete with it :)

Still... I'll probably get a Prophet 12 anyway... i simply know that it will still hold it's space in the Sequential repertoire... Prophet 12 never fully took over for the Evolvers... and anything new will not take over for the Prophet 12 either, I'm firmly convinced in that.

But I think that what I'll be doing is save up for a Prophet X... that will take some time... and until I've got that kind of money, Sequential will probably release some specs on their new thing, and thus the focus may switch from the X to whatever that is... that seems like the best option at the moment... and then get some sounds done in the meantime for the TEMPEST and PEAK.  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:16:05 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #996 on: March 07, 2019, 12:34:40 AM »
And about the DM12... I realized that the raw oscillator section is not at all that very flexible... the tonal variation did not give out many options... it sounded good, but the features of the oscillators is even below standard... even the REV2 give you much more variety... and as such, the DM12 is HEAVILLY dependent on it's FX section... which IS quite good... but when it leans up gainst it's FX that much, and I cannot create an editor for that part of it in SoundDiver, it just feels stupid to keep it... you can easilly find better FX in plugins to do the same and with the same routing options... the only thing that would be missing is the ability to control FX from the matrix... but if you look at that FX section in detail (all 33 of them), you'll quickly notice that many of them are different reverbs and delays... it does not give anything particular unique... just the usual reverbs, delays, choruses, flangers and phasers... there are no decimators, no ringmodulators... I mean... it IS limited on how many reverbs and delays you would want to control from a matrix... besides, FX are global, and not on a per voice basis which limits their use in a matrix really... most FX would only work with global modulation, not per voice modulation... Novation was smart when they made the FX controllable from a matrix in their latest OS update... they made a matrix specifically for the FX, and made sure that the only modulation sources available was of those that had global control...

So no... DM12 is a fine synth, it just do not offer me anything I do not allready have except for the characteristic Juno filter really... and that is not enough to warrant a space in my setup.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:36:47 AM by Razmo »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #997 on: March 07, 2019, 07:06:41 PM »
Cheers Razmo, you've given the most objective review of the synth in your reasoning for returning it that I've read anywhere. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #998 on: March 10, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
I accidentally stumbled upon this little sample player today: http://www.hypnotriod.org/beatsqueezer/#/

And I've decided to give this a go as for a sample player instead of the expensive options like Prophet X and Quantum... it seems to be limited to exactly what I think I'll need... adequate polyphony, stereo samples, .wav file import with loop support, one sample per key and an amplifier and filter (digital though) envelope plus a few FX.

This should suffice to create the things I've been thinking about doing, but at a much much lower price... with it's 1GB of flash memory I can also turn this into a simple ROMpler which was what I was after.

I'm surprised I've never heard of this device... I accidentally found it on a local used items sales site, and decided to buy it... it will be used mainly for creating textures that are designed for each key, playing stuff like atmospheric ambient pads and drones along with some sound FX and recordings of acoustic stuff that I have.

I hope it will suffice... it seems to... and it would be nice to have my sample needs fulfilled with this very small device.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:21:23 AM by Razmo »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #999 on: March 10, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
Looks like a good sample player, nice and utilitarian with a good selection of effects.  You are lucky to find one for sale as I can't seem to locate where the maker is selling them, if he is at all.