Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Shaw

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #960 on: February 13, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
I give this setup....two weeks before another  “This is it...” post. ;)

I HAVE to say "You're wrong!"  ;D

Okay, two and a half weeks…
3 weeks, max...   :D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #961 on: February 13, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
Allright... the dual PEAKS (or TWIN PEAKS maybe) may have been a bit hasted, but I simply love this synth... so much I actually thought about designing my own little electronic "polychainer" for them... a simple little device that would take incomming noteons, and cycle between sending them out again on two different MIDI channels... then when one PEAK is connected to the other via MIDI THRU, and set individually to the two different MIDI channels, I'd be able to make them into a 16 voice PEAK... don't know if there already are such a device out there... if, then i do not know about it... it would be rather simple to create with a microprocessor and a few components...

But honestly... i think i can do with 8 voices... I've found that you need about double the polyphony of any chord you play for it to suffice, so four note chords will have to do... Quantum is also 8 voices, so I'll just settle with that i think.

The last slot in my 3 synth setup will probably be saved until the day comes, that something truly amazing that complement a Quantum and PEAK comes along... that will probably be some time, but it would certainly need to be unique because with a Quantum and PEAK I'd say I'm really well covered in synthesis techniques... Subtractive, FM, Wavetable, Sample, Granular, Resonator and that new update Waldorf just made to the Quantum... I've got both LP, HP and BP analog filters in both 12 and 24 dB modes... ring modulators too... to be honest, analog oscillators are not that big a deal for me in the end, so hybrids are fine with me... I can do pretty much the same stuff I did on the REV2 with the PEAK...

and by the way... I'm more than half way thru reverse engineering the SysEx specs for PEAK now... it's rather simple and faster than anticipated... but I don't even know if I'll ever use that editor I want to create, simply because the user interface on PEAK is so intuitive that it's almost a fast editing on it directly, and I really like the thought of not having to rely on that old SoundDiver app any longer... that may very well happen since the Quantum looks to be just as easy to edit because of it's large screen...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #962 on: February 13, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
FWIW, I loooove the Quantum so far, and it's really almost eliminated my GAS.

Can you say a bit about how the Sample import works? have you looked into that? ... are you using the same SPECTRE app like with the Blofeld for this?
I haven't yet, but others on GS have. It depends what you want it for--if you want to convert it to a wavetable the ideal length is around 9 seconds, and also you have to make sure your input levels are high enough to get a good recording when using it. I think it only takes one file format to convert to a wavetable (AIFF or wav, would have to look to make sure), but it reads both formats internally for the sampler/particle engine. There are a good number of samples in AIFF format on there already, mostly from the sound designers they hired.

There are some improvements to make that import and conversion more flexible in the next release and even more in the 2.0 release. Rolf is in the thread on Gearslutz and has been super informative.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #963 on: February 13, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
FWIW, I loooove the Quantum so far, and it's really almost eliminated my GAS.

Can you say a bit about how the Sample import works? have you looked into that? ... are you using the same SPECTRE app like with the Blofeld for this?
I haven't yet, but others on GS have. It depends what you want it for--if you want to convert it to a wavetable the ideal length is around 9 seconds, and also you have to make sure your input levels are high enough to get a good recording when using it. I think it only takes one file format to convert to a wavetable (AIFF or wav, would have to look to make sure), but it reads both formats internally for the sampler/particle engine. There are a good number of samples in AIFF format on there already, mostly from the sound designers they hired.

There are some improvements to make that import and conversion more flexible in the next release and even more in the 2.0 release. Rolf is in the thread on Gearslutz and has been super informative.

OK thanks... it was not as much the wavetable convertion I was most interrested in, just rather the import of samples and how it's done setting them up... I know that they support multisamples so there must be some kind of software that will allow you to set them up, if it's not done entirely on the synth itself... but if it can sample I suppose it would have to have onboard multisample setup features...

« Reply #964 on: February 13, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
OK thanks... it was not as much the wavetable convertion I was most interrested in, just rather the import of samples and how it's done setting them up... I know that they support multisamples so there must be some kind of software that will allow you to set them up, if it's not done entirely on the synth itself... but if it can sample I suppose it would have to have onboard multisample setup features...

I looked it up, and here's the most recent reply from Rolf:

yes, we have been contacted by sample tool providers and send them the info about what's needs to be done for Quantum. Hope we see something soon here.

In general, samples are stored as normal audio files like wav or aiff. You can use uncompressed 16,24,32 bit integer or 32 bit float formats and number of channels. It will always goes to stereo. Sample rate is ignored, but assumed to be 44.1 kHz. For other rates you could adapt sample pitch as needed.

Sample maps are normally stored within the patches but can be exported and imported as well. They describe all the key & velocity zones etc. what you see in the GUI. These samplemap files are text files you could edit and create by hand. Just look onto them and compare what's in the screen. Should be quite self explanatory. Otherwise ask.

So, if you have a komplex sample mapping you could do this in a text editor until the above mentioned tools are ready.

Sample transfer to the machine currently is done via SD card. We have no plans for plain old Sysex, but like to invest in a direct USB connection. No promises about when and if at all, but the idea is that you connect Quantum to your computer and Quantum's sample storage appears as an external drive on your computer.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

jok3r

« Reply #965 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »
I'm also thinking about TWIN PEAKS at the moment. I think about connecting them to one good master keyboard like the 61SL MkIII from the same manufacturer. I could organize my splits and layers with the Master and if I need more polyphone I would transfer my patch from one PEAK to the other and look for a suitable splitpoint to distribute the voices to the two units. But the idea of building an own polychain tool sounds also nice...

I'm still hoping for a keyboard version of the PEAK at Superbooth... and to make owners of the module version buy it, I hope they integrate a polychain function by themselves.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LoboLives

« Reply #966 on: February 13, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
I'm also thinking about TWIN PEAKS at the moment. I think about connecting them to one good master keyboard like the 61SL MkIII from the same manufacturer. I could organize my splits and layers with the Master and if I need more polyphone I would transfer my patch from one PEAK to the other and look for a suitable splitpoint to distribute the voices to the two units. But the idea of building an own polychain tool sounds also nice...

I'm still hoping for a keyboard version of the PEAK at Superbooth... and to make owners of the module version buy it, I hope they integrate a polychain function by themselves.

The Peak seems successful enough to warrant a keyboard version. Novation may just think the module is good enough though.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #967 on: February 13, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
I have a feeling that the PEAK will see a keys version... it has been too successful enough not to, the question is if it will have extra bells and whistles, more voices or something like that, or if it's just a PEAK with a keyboard... still, I will not get a keys version for that simple fact that I will only have space for a single keyboard as a controller, and that will be the Quantum... and I simply do not believe that Quantum will ever emerge in a module format, so I have no choices in this matter.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #968 on: February 14, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
I've done a complete 180 on my initial impressions of the Quantum and PX. The Quantum sounded brilliant on paper, yet everything I've heard thus far is clinical. Although it has analog filters, I would have never guessed if not told. To be fair, it's only in its infancy and needs time before any proper assessment can be made. The PX on the other hand had me scratching my head when announced, yet since then I've heard plenty of beautiful/dark & intriguing new sounds. Since a module version sounds like it's off the table, I'm hoping for a Tempest X in its place.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #969 on: February 14, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpuJlpaV6Y

This youtube video is enough to convince me it will serve me well... i know it sounds terrible in the beginning, but as you enter further into this video you will hear all sorts of weird ambient noises...

Besides, I know the Waldorf "sound"... I've had many of their digital machines, and they do have a certain sterile ring to them... except for when they have analog filters in the signal chain... so I'm pretty confident I'll like the Quantum...

The point is, that I WILL NOT pay extra for 150GB of sounds on the PX that I'm not going to use at all, and where the fate of the sample import is in 8DIO's hands... I cannot even erase the darn 150GB samples if i wanted to, I'm just told to "imagine they are not there" ... such a comment simply irritates me... so no thanks... no PX for me.

Quantum it is... and I'll get one as soon as i can by selling Tempest and REV2 and saving up...

...if the 3rd and last synth will be a Sequential one... only time will tell...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #970 on: February 14, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »
https://youtu.be/xcvyBclAu3o

this too... just excellent... I'm not saying you cannot do the same with a PX, or at least something that sound similar... it's just a choice... PX or Quantum...

« Reply #971 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
I've done a complete 180 on my initial impressions of the Quantum and PX. The Quantum sounded brilliant on paper, yet everything I've heard thus far is clinical. Although it has analog filters, I would have never guessed if not told. To be fair, it's only in its infancy and needs time before any proper assessment can be made. The PX on the other hand had me scratching my head when announced, yet since then I've heard plenty of beautiful/dark & intriguing new sounds. Since a module version sounds like it's off the table, I'm hoping for a Tempest X in its place.

When you compare them to the digital former's filter emulations, you can tell. However, the next update is slated to give a "dirty" mode which should show their character a little more.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #972 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
But now that I'm actually thinking about a 3 synth hardwired setup, I'll need to be VERY VERY CERTAIN that the three synths will cover as much synthesis ground as possible... The Quantum and PEAK will cover almost all possible ground just the two alone (in a general broad way that is, every synth has something unique to them they will not cover... I know).

So the 3rd synth will have to be something special... most likely a hybrid more because an analog will be limited in the oscillator section no matter what it is I'd say... It will also need to satisfy a few more requirements:

1. It must have a very user friendly UI. I intend on dropping the use of SoundDiver, simply because the program is unreliable and very old, so the synth MUST have an interface that allow me to edit it easily... I do not want too much double-function knobby interface action, and any menu diving should be easy... i do not want the UI to delay my editing abilities.

2. Quality of the digital oscillator section should be mostly aliasing free... I'd prefer high rate FPGA synths in this matter to be honest (like PEAK), but standard 48KHz may also work if done right (like Quantum).

3. It must be a module desktop synth... I only want ONE keyboard in my setup, and that one will be QUANTUM.

4. Build quality should be acceptable... so probably no Behringer devices.

5. Built in FX, with high quality... especially the Reverbs must be good, as i intend on stopping the use of FX plugins in my DAW, relying 100% on the synths built in FX... DAW will only be used for recording tracks, and Mixing, EQ and mastering.

With all that said... there really is nothing out there that meet my requirements yet... Quantum and PEAK will cover most as said earlier; Subtractive synthesis, FM synthesis, Resonator synthesis, Granular synthesis, Classic sampler synthesis, Wavetable synthesis... with this I'm talking about the oscillator section... in the filter section I'll be covered in both 12 and 24 dB with LP, HP and BP... so the essential has also been covered there, unless I'd want other filter flavors, but then I could go on and on forever.

So the right synth might not be available for a long time I guess... i have too high requirements probably, but I'll simply wait until it's there, and if it never comes, I'll just get another PEAK. With Peak and Quantum I'll be so well covered in all aspects that I could do with just those two really... but I have three stereo inputs on my soundcard, so I chose three as the "magical number"... and who knows... maybe someone will surprise me... FPGA seems to be trending now, so I think we might see more synths coming out with FPGA synthesis... I'm not sure... but depending on demos and specs, I COULD end up with a KYRA as the third synth, even if it's 100% digital... it depend on the sound and the features. What attracts me to it is that it's FPGA and because of it's 128 voices...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:28:40 AM by Razmo »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #973 on: February 14, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
The point is, that I WILL NOT pay extra for 150GB of sounds on the PX that I'm not going to use at all, and where the fate of the sample import is in 8DIO's hands... I cannot even erase the darn 150GB samples if i wanted to, I'm just told to "imagine they are not there" ... such a comment simply irritates me... so no thanks... no PX for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Quantum have 4GB of internal flash memory minus 1GB of preloaded samples vs the PX's 150GB of 8Dio samples on an SSD with an additional 50GB internal? For around the same price you can also get those TP/8 keys, except with additional octave ranges.

Edit: Just sayin.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:51:32 AM by Sleep of Reason »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #974 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Quantum have 4GB of internal flash memory minus 1GB of preloaded samples vs the PX's 150GB of 8Dio samples on an SSD with an additional 50GB internal? For around the same price you can also get those TP/8 keys, except with additional octave ranges.

Edit: Just sayin.

I believe the samples in QUANTUM are erasable... and I do not need more than 4GB for samples for what I'll use it for... and I do not have to be in doubt of being able to use all of the sample functionality... so all that really do not bother me at all... regarding the keys, there are no controller keyboards that has the TP/8S... and the PX do not have it either... and still... the PX do not have those synthesis types that the Quantum has... when I only want three synths, then Quantum is the better choise for me.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #975 on: February 14, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »
and the PX do not have it either...

PXL does have TP/8 though.

Not trying to talk you into which to buy, btw. I just fail to see the specific issue you have when there's 12.5 times the amount of user storage... I take it your main gripe in that regard is more having to do with paying extra for 8Dio content. Not sure about the presets, but from what I've heard, their samples are quite nice. Personally I don't want to have to be bothered with user samples at all. I would rather have 200GB of their stuff if it included a comprehensive scope of instruments. There are some pretty major omissions as is from what I've been told.

LoboLives

« Reply #976 on: February 14, 2019, 01:07:09 PM »
But now that I'm actually thinking about a 3 synth hardwired setup, I'll need to be VERY VERY CERTAIN that the three synths will cover as much synthesis ground as possible... The Quantum and PEAK will cover almost all possible ground just the two alone (in a general broad way that is, every synth has something unique to them they will not cover... I know).

So the 3rd synth will have to be something special... most likely a hybrid more because an analog will be limited in the oscillator section no matter what it is I'd say... It will also need to satisfy a few more requirements:

1. It must have a very user friendly UI. I intend on dropping the use of SoundDiver, simply because the program is unreliable and very old, so the synth MUST have an interface that allow me to edit it easily... I do not want too much double-function knobby interface action, and any menu diving should be easy... i do not want the UI to delay my editing abilities.

2. Quality of the digital oscillator section should be mostly aliasing free... I'd prefer high rate FPGA synths in this matter to be honest (like PEAK), but standard 48KHz may also work if done right (like Quantum).

3. It must be a module desktop synth... I only want ONE keyboard in my setup, and that one will be QUANTUM.

4. Build quality should be acceptable... so probably no Behringer devices.

5. Built in FX, with high quality... especially the Reverbs must be good, as i intend on stopping the use of FX plugins in my DAW, relying 100% on the synths built in FX... DAW will only be used for recording tracks, and Mixing, EQ and mastering.

With all that said... there really is nothing out there that meet my requirements yet... Quantum and PEAK will cover most as said earlier; Subtractive synthesis, FM synthesis, Resonator synthesis, Granular synthesis, Classic sampler synthesis, Wavetable synthesis... with this I'm talking about the oscillator section... in the filter section I'll be covered in both 12 and 24 dB with LP, HP and BP... so the essential has also been covered there, unless I'd want other filter flavors, but then I could go on and on forever.

So the right synth might not be available for a long time I guess... i have too high requirements probably, but I'll simply wait until it's there, and if it never comes, I'll just get another PEAK. With Peak and Quantum I'll be so well covered in all aspects that I could do with just those two really... but I have three stereo inputs on my soundcard, so I chose three as the "magical number"... and who knows... maybe someone will surprise me... FPGA seems to be trending now, so I think we might see more synths coming out with FPGA synthesis... I'm not sure... but depending on demos and specs, I COULD end up with a KYRA as the third synth, even if it's 100% digital... it depend on the sound and the features. What attracts me to it is that it's FPGA and because of it's 128 voices...

Well that didn’t take long. ;)

Shaw

« Reply #977 on: February 14, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
Well that didn’t take long. ;)
Glad you said it first!    ;D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #978 on: February 14, 2019, 02:03:12 PM »
and the PX do not have it either...

PXL does have TP/8 though.

Not trying to talk you into which to buy, btw. I just fail to see the specific issue you have when there's 12.5 times the amount of user storage... I take it your main gripe in that regard is more having to do with paying extra for 8Dio content. Not sure about the presets, but from what I've heard, their samples are quite nice. Personally I don't want to have to be bothered with user samples at all. I would rather have 200GB of their stuff if it included a comprehensive scope of instruments. There are some pretty major omissions as is from what I've been told.

The PXL is hammer action, which i do not like, and I have no space for 76keys :)

I think what you just wrote explains exactly why our opinions differ... I want to use my own samples, and GBs of data storage is not needed, as I will want to manipulate sample textures... For this task, Quantum simply gives more options...many of its oscillator types relies on the samples...PX seems more geared toward users that do not want to mess much around with creative sample synthesis... More like a ROMpler, with the added ability for users to load custom banks in from third party sound developers... And that is fine for those who like this, but this is not what I want to do... I want as many sample sculpting synthesis options as possible, and turn samples into totalt different sonic landscapes... Yes... PX allow for this too, but it is just not as flexible as the Quantum in my opinion...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:05:38 PM by Razmo »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #979 on: February 14, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
The PXL is hammer action
Nope, sure ain't. "Full-sized, semi-weighted, 76-key, Fatar TP/8 keyboard."

PX seems more geared toward users that do not want to mess much around with creative sample synthesis... More like a ROMpler
Nope, I just don't want to have to waste my time with importing user samples and such.