Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

dslsynth

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #800 on: June 29, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Seems I'm going to have to invest in a foot pedal then :)

There are plenty to choose from: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice

How about a cup holder too?

. o O ( ;) ;) ;) )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #801 on: June 29, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »
Besides... i might go for something else than a pedal... as it seems you can plug in any kind of CV device... I know that Doepfer makes a Eurorack module with an antenna for a Theremin like kind of modulation... that would be fun, but then again... that is not a set and forget kind of control... still would be fun to try out though :)

Or an Expressive E. It feels very nice.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #802 on: June 29, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »
Besides... i might go for something else than a pedal... as it seems you can plug in any kind of CV device... I know that Doepfer makes a Eurorack module with an antenna for a Theremin like kind of modulation... that would be fun, but then again... that is not a set and forget kind of control... still would be fun to try out though :)

Or an Expressive E. It feels very nice.

Just looked at it and yes... might be fun too... but again... the more arcane the controller, and the more weird it's way of control, the more likely my presets using it will not be for others to enjoy... I think I'll just stick to a simple pedal, and call it the day :) ... most keyboards have a pedal connection, so if (when) I get other keyboard synths later, it would plug right in...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #803 on: June 30, 2018, 02:23:26 AM »
I just ordered an expression pedal... had to get one now, as I'm currently creating my presets for the REV2... the available models is a bit overwhelming, but I decided it should be one with Jack connectors, and not a build in cable... most cable lengths on the built in ones is a little too short for going behind my table.

I was rocking back and forth between the Moog and Yamaha ones, but the Moog won simply because of the TRS plugs... the Yamaha one did not have that... I already have a foot switch from ages past, one that came with the E-MU E4K keyboard sampler that I won in 1998... reversed polarity though, but the REV2 can handle that, so no need to get another one of these... i do have an input for the sequencer on the REV2, but I don't really see the need for using that.

« Reply #804 on: June 30, 2018, 03:37:37 AM »
The EP-3 works well with DSI synths.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #805 on: June 30, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/FaeryNights.mp3

New preset for REV2... "Faery Nights" ... this one use both external reverb and delay as the REV2's internal FX is used for something else. I wanted sort af a "fluttery feel" to the tail of this synth sound that reminds of butterflies/faeries, but with a moody touch.

« Reply #806 on: July 01, 2018, 01:46:46 AM »
I have a couple of those EP3s, they seem like cheep plasticky lightweight pedals that won't last a month but mine have been working for years with no issues at all!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #807 on: July 01, 2018, 02:55:16 AM »
I have a couple of those EP3s, they seem like cheep plasticky lightweight pedals that won't last a month but mine have been working for years with no issues at all!

It's not one of the most expensive pedals, so I'd assume that they are not as sturdy as the KORG or Yamaha ones which cost considerably more... as long as the sweep range is smooth it'll probably do just fine... never had a foot pedal before, so just had to make a choice :)

Shaw

« Reply #808 on: July 01, 2018, 07:42:39 AM »

It's not one of the most expensive pedals, so I'd assume that they are not as sturdy as the KORG or Yamaha ones which cost considerably more... as long as the sweep range is smooth it'll probably do just fine... never had a foot pedal before, so just had to make a choice :)
You’ve made a good choice... I’ve had a couple of these for years... never an issue.  And they’ve worked with everything I’ve plugged them into.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #809 on: July 01, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/ElusiveSpirit.mp3

A new preset for the REV2... external FX have been used... wanted something with a "ghostly feeling", so I made this and called it "Elusive Ghost".

I deliberately did a trick to make the howling sound pitch down a while after releasing a key to make it sound like something is "moving in the distance"... a normal pitch decay starting right after a key is released only makes it sound wrong, so I had to make the pitch downfall wait some time before starting it's downward "flight"... that makes sure that the sound has already faded a great deal into the distance of the reverb... feel it sounds ok.

« Reply #810 on: July 01, 2018, 11:00:28 PM »

This stuff always helps: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Performance-White-Lithium-Grease-250ml/dp/B00KPUBO0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530511206&sr=8-2&keywords=lithium+grease

I use it on all my pedals, works wonders.

« Reply #811 on: July 02, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »

I use the Yamaha FC-7 and got the Moog EP3 recently. FC-7 has a bigger range, so you can control parameters more precise (helps with smooth filter sweeps). It's bottom side is very flat, so your foot is very close to the ground, whereas with the EP3 your foot sits much higher, which feels less comfortable while playing seated. But the EP3 has switchable polarity, which is a big plus. The FC-7 is not compatible to many keys I have, so I had to build an adapter for those.

By the way: great sounds, I especially like the one called 'Ra's Musicbox'.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #812 on: July 02, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »

I use the Yamaha FC-7 and got the Moog EP3 recently. FC-7 has a bigger range, so you can control parameters more precise (helps with smooth filter sweeps). It's bottom side is very flat, so your foot is very close to the ground, whereas with the EP3 your foot sits much higher, which feels less comfortable while playing seated. But the EP3 has switchable polarity, which is a big plus. The FC-7 is not compatible to many keys I have, so I had to build an adapter for those.

Thank you for the compliment :) ... I actually read about exactly those things you mentioned... I was close to get the Yamaha pedal because of the longer range, but also because it is closer to the floor so I can rest my heel on the floor... but the cable length was what switched me to the MOOG one... the fact that it sits a bit higher is not a big problem unles I want to use the pedal as a live control... this is not my intention (at least not yet)... my intention was to simply have another control that I can "set and forget" a parameter with... but I guess that with time I'll probably be using it for live stuff too since it gives a nice way to change a control while still playing with both hands... so who knows... might get a Yamaha later if I feel the MOOG pedal sits too high, or I need a bigger range... maybe it's nice to have two different ones with different range for different situations...

« Reply #813 on: July 03, 2018, 01:58:28 AM »

Thank you for the compliment :) ... I actually read about exactly those things you mentioned... I was close to get the Yamaha pedal because of the longer range, but also because it is closer to the floor so I can rest my heel on the floor... but the cable length was what switched me to the MOOG one... the fact that it sits a bit higher is not a big problem unles I want to use the pedal as a live control... this is not my intention (at least not yet)... my intention was to simply have another control that I can "set and forget" a parameter with... but I guess that with time I'll probably be using it for live stuff too since it gives a nice way to change a control while still playing with both hands... so who knows... might get a Yamaha later if I feel the MOOG pedal sits too high, or I need a bigger range... maybe it's nice to have two different ones with different range for different situations...

Sounds like a reasonable plan and the EP3 seems fine now for your purposes. Another bonus (that you probably know of): the EP3 has also a jack for the cable, so you can easily change it to even longer or much shorter.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #814 on: July 03, 2018, 02:06:58 AM »

Sounds like a reasonable plan and the EP3 seems fine now for your purposes. Another bonus (that you probably know of): the EP3 has also a jack for the cable, so you can easily change it to even longer or much shorter.

Yup... that was the tipping point for me in choosing the MOOG pedal :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #815 on: July 04, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Gemstones.mp3

This is an effects preset, trying to create a sound that will fit a picture showing crystals/gems... external reverb used, other than that it's just REV2 creating some "glitter" for you :)

I'm using a lot of time conjuring up new tricks every time I create a new preset... I wan't to find as many cool tricks as possible, and the more I create, the more I realize how f****** important that second layer really is! ... this is also why my next synths will be Prophet 12 and Prophet X because they both have this dual layer capability which is so darn important to make the sounds much more advanced... you don't really see it until you start using it and understand how the two layers can interact with each other... it's not just layering, it's much more than that.

this is also the first preset to utilize my new foot pedal... I control the rate of the "glitter" with it, and Modwheel controlls the timbre of the "glassy feel".

One trick i'd like to try out soon is to have this preset on layer B, and a pad/synth sound on layer A, but in a way where the sound on layer A is heard when you hold a key down, but as you release it and start it's release phase, layer B should be slowly faded in making the "tails" of the sound "sparkle"... this is one of the things you can only do with a dual layer synth... it may not be needed for simple sounds like basses etc. but for synth sounds and pads it is really rather cool.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #816 on: July 04, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
Another preset derived from the previous one, and this one really made my jaw drop! ... I cannot find a picture to match this sound... it sounds like a bunch of ghost monkeys howling... a timbre I definitely did not expect from the REV2. Only the reverb is external...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/DeadMonkeys.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #817 on: July 05, 2018, 08:11:22 AM »
Preset number 23... "Faery Flutter" ... sound and picture sort of speaks for itself.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/FaeryFlutter.mp3

chysn

« Reply #818 on: July 05, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
You've got some really gorgeous sounds out of that instrument.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #819 on: July 05, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/FaeryDust.mp3

The sound of Faeries, Pixies and Sprites ... REV2 + external reverb :)

After I've got my pedal I'm thinking how the h... I've been able to live without one for the last 25+ years... I'm using it constantly now, and it allow my presets to be extremely much more flexible and dynamic... being able to control something while still using both hands on the keys are really useful... I'll be as blunt as to say, that I like this control more than the Modwheel now :) ... sounds that used static settings before, like LFO rates for example, give so much better results if such parameters can be controlled live.

This means that my presets will rely HEAVILY on the physical controls of the REV2, including the foot pedal input... my presets are meant to be tweaked in realtime to sound their best, they are meant to be PLAYED :)

Right now I wish I could get a wireless breath controller that could go directly into the MIDI input of the REV2... that would be the ultimate extra control really...