Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

dslsynth

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »
Classic T-Resonator video: https://youtu.be/qlgnwZA7Cvs

Side note: Anyone noticed that Jomox have discontinued their large drum machines and just have the little stuff now? Wonder if Elektron stole the market from Jomox with the Analog Rytm? Hope Jomox are working on new designs and have not given up!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
The Jomox T-resonator II is on my GAS list too. Not because I envision it would do wonders for me but simply because its a lovely crazy idea just like their MBrane 11 is. Two things: (1) do try and play with the waveguide settings and (2) consider getting yourself some kind of analog limiter for your lovely new speaker smasher.

And yeah, just like with modulars there are no presets. Welcome to the eurowreck world!

Yeah... I've been playing with it a bit today, and surely it can make some really strange and cool sounds... but I also have to be honest with myself... I hate that it does not have memories... I mean... so many knobs, and even the slightest tweak can make it go haywire... makig it impossible to dial in again later if you found a sweet spot.

The analog feel it has on the delay is cool... but then again... you have to set both sides individualy, and making them identical is next to impossible... so it's a bit like with the MBrane11 ... it makes crazy things, but is chaotic... at least the MBrane have memories.

So... even though it sounds good... I'm afraid I'd just have it standing there, not touching the controls that much... so... yes.. .I've decided to send it back to the dealer and get my money back :)

On the contrary... i missed my Pulse 2... found a really good used price on DBA not long ago, so I'm now a Pulse2 owner yet again  ::)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
Anyways... I've finaly got the SysEx info on the Sub37 :) ... Amos sent it to me, and also a new beta firmware... he's going to make a speical OS for me once again that ignore checksums tonight he said, and I also got a MIDI driver specificaly for the Sub37, so it's not using stadard Windows drivers anymore... and are now multiclient capable!... yay! ... DSI really need to up their efforts on drivers and editors...  ::)

So the next days will probably be in editor-creation for the Sub37...

dslsynth

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2016, 02:47:26 PM »
Hehe! Well, I should have suspected that you returned that T-Resonator but I didn't! . o O ( GAO saturday )

As for the Pulse 2 all I can say is: A good offer on DBA means it could very well be a stolen item. Hope thats okay with you! For the same reason I stay long away from that place even though I was about to buy a used Matrix-6 via DBA quite some time ago.

Did you get your MBase11 and MBrane11 yet? Have you considered using the Pulse 2 as your kick drum synthesizer given how well it does according to your earlier tests?

Edit: Slightly detuned the DBA good offer analysis.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:03:07 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2016, 03:35:30 PM »
Hehe! Well, I should have suspected that you returned that T-Resonator but I didn't! . o O ( GAO saturday )

As for the Pulse 2 all I can say is: A good offer on DBA means it could very well be a stolen item. Hope thats okay with you! For the same reason I stay long away from that place even though I was about to buy a used Matrix-6 via DBA quite some time ago.

Did you get your MBase11 and MBrane11 yet? Have you considered using the Pulse 2 as your kick drum synthesizer given how well it does according to your earlier tests?

Edit: Slightly detuned the DBA good offer analysis.

Ha ha!... nono, not THAT good a deal! .... it was 2.250,- in danish currency, which is a good deal to me, because I sold the one I had last time for 2.500,- ... and they are currently about 3.600,- for a new unit... I'm sure it was not stolen, simply because I've learned the tricks of finding out more about a seller... I allways ask technical questions, that only a REAL user would know... this guy even talked about sending me an editor he bought for it too, and he knew stuff only a real user would know  ;) ... believe me... I'm always checking this before buying, simply because I always pay in advance, and I would not do that if I had a suspicion.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:39:54 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
And about the MBase and MBrane.... no... I've decided to hold that purchase a bit... because I though precicely what you just said... that the Pulse 2 may be able to take care of this, as I'm Audio recording anyway, and can use it as many times as I see fit.... and it does marvelous kicks and other percussion sounds... actualy this was the main reason I bought it again... it offers more synthesis capabilities than those drumboxes, and it also has that multimode filter I have been missing in my setup, and will make me forget about getting a Pro2 :)

I've got two keyboards... don't want more of them...

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »
Here's a nice one, just a Korg Volca Keys and Jomox T-Resonator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVtDguWAJEI&feature=youtu.be

dslsynth

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
Here's a nice one, just a Korg Volca Keys and Jomox T-Resonator:

https://youtu.be/RVtDguWAJEI is indeed a nice one! Wonder if the overdriven sound was made by the T-Resonator or by the Volca itself?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
Here's a nice one, just a Korg Volca Keys and Jomox T-Resonator:

https://youtu.be/RVtDguWAJEI is indeed a nice one! Wonder if the overdriven sound was made by the T-Resonator or by the Volca itself?

I asked Matt, and here's what he said: "The distortion comes from the T-res but there's some drive added by the electribe because I'm passing it through the tribe's input, which gives it the benefit of tube saturation."

dslsynth

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
I asked Matt, and here's what he said: "The distortion comes from the T-res but there's some drive added by the electribe because I'm passing it through the tribe's input, which gives it the benefit of tube saturation."

Thanks for the answer! Those darn tubes! I remember someone over on the old forum in the Tempest section showcased a red stereo signal path and modified tube drive box that sounded just awesome. Think I will stick with the Minifooger filter drive should I buy a such feature one day though that red box is totally drooooolable!
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »
Finaly!!!

I got my Blofeld Keyboard today, and was really excited to get to feel the keys... Astonishing really! ... very very VERY good feeling keys! ... Just the right weight for my playing, proper feel, proper velocity sensitivity, and perfect aftertouch.

And then the size... nice and compact, with a nice blank spot on the right side for my Pulse 2. My PC keyboard can finaly rest in front of the keys, and the Blofeld is just the right width for the mouse to be firmly to it's right, and leaving lots of desktop space on the left for desktop modules... Everything can now be in front of me... Rack gear behind the Blofeld... the only piece of gear that needs a place at one side is the Sub37.

The rack on top with the Evolver and P12 will be moved... P12 will be placed next to the Mackie BigKnob, so the wooden end cheeks will have to be put back on... Poly Evolver rack will go into the rack spaces below the top plate... the Mackie LM-3204 mixer will be replaced with a 8 stereo channel 1U line mixer from Rane soon, that will also go into the rack area... this will leave space on the top plate for a much larger monitor, maybe even a 28 inch with huge resolution, so that I can get some more "real estate" space to work with in both SoundDiver's editors, but also my DAW.

This leaves two stereo channels open for whatever someone makes of interresting gear in the future...

I'm quite happy today :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Time for a new rant...  ;)

I recently thought that I would be able to use the feedback path in the Evoler (from the delays back into the filter) for making analog style decaying delays... but no... that's not really possible as you would normaly think. I actualy read about this in the Definitive Guide to Evolver, but obviously the author have not tried what he wrote in there, because it's not possble, and it's also quite obvious when you look at the signal chain.

The problem is the VCA and it's envelope... it closes off the signal, so as soon as you release a key, or the VCA envelope lowers the volume, so is the signal attenuated when it goes back into the filter... so no analog style delays  ;)

I wondered a bit about what other uses this feedback patch actually have... My first thought was that it would have to be delays with very short delay times... choruses, phasers etc. to be of any real use, so I set out to experiment with this feedback path and see it's uses... I quickly found that it's good for plucked sounds as it makes the sound feel like some sort of "resonant chamber".

Here is the result (it's not perfect, but still a convincing sound I think, and VERY much playable):

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/CyberHarp.mp3

chysn

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
Raz, before I say anything, can you elaborate on what you mean by "analog-style delays?"
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
Raz, before I say anything, can you elaborate on what you mean by "analog-style delays?"

It's a bit hard to find the right wording, but in a normal digital delay, you usualy have a digital filter in the delay path... just like you do on the Prophet 12... meaning that if the delayed signal is lowpass filtered a bit, before being fed back into the delay input, then at each iteration og the delay, the delay gets a bit darker.

I initialy thought, that by using the "Feedback 2" on the Evolver's delay, that I could feed the delayed signal back into the analog filter, and that with the filter cutoff set a bit low, get these progressively darker repeats.

But the problem is, that the filter is in the "dry signal" path, and not in the delay itself... lowering the cutoff, also filters the "dry signal"... and as the VCA following the filer will totaly cut off the sound when a key is not held, you will not hear any repeats after you release the keys... unless the release time is very long of course.

On top of this, the direct output of the digital delay is allways mixed with the dry signal output... so that just adds to the uselessness of the feedback 2 parameter as well.

It's just not possible to create these analog filtered delays, as I thought (and read in the Definitive Guide)... if I've missed something, please tell me  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:38:05 PM by Razmo »

chysn

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2016, 08:55:40 PM »
It's just not possible to create these analog filtered delays, as I thought (and read in the Definitive Guide)... if I've missed something, please tell me

Okay, thanks. Now that you've explained it as post-filter feedback, I don't see a way to do that.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2016, 04:36:52 AM »
Nope... just not doable... but that's ok... at least I know it's not possible now, and the feedback2 parameter can be used for other strange things, so that's fine  :) .. .truth is, that I've not looked that much into the possibilities of feedback paths on Evolver (nor P12)... but I know they can be useful for some things.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »
Wanted another digital multi effects box for my ambient projects, that has a lot more modulation possibilities than a standard multi effect box... something that could modulate FX parameters in realtime via envelopes, LFO's, noise generators, envelope followers, velocity, MIDI note etc.... Did not know if such a thing existed, but it did... the T.C. Electronics FIREWORX multi effect machine.

What I like about this box is, that I can plug the MIDI out of my Waldorf Blofeld, into the FIREWORX, and then have it's MIDI Thru go to my DAW, and this way I can make sure that I get MIDI note-on/off into the FIREWORX for realtime manipulation of FX parameters... this open up a whole new world of FX creation where parameters can be changed according to key position, velocity and CC controllers.

On top, T.C. Electronics is known for professional sounding reverbs, so I'm quite happy with this one. And it's build in routing matrix allowing for the most weird routings is just incredible... you can even use one of the unused i/o plugs on the back for a "loop insert" into another FX box that will be routed back into the FIREWORX, and thus can be placed anywhere in the signal chain.

It also has a host of interesting FX... mini synthesizers, fractal noise generators, normal noise generators, filters, phasers, flangers, ringmodulator, panner, tremolo... the whole lot... all in all a really powerful FX device.

It even has ADAT i/o, S/PDIF i/O and analog i/o to choose from... this allow me to use it via my E-MU 1212m ADAT connection, and still have my Lexicon MX400 connected via S/PDIF, so that I keep everything in the digital domain... no analog convertion.

This completes my FX chain in my setup... The E-MU 1212m has a plettora of unique FX as well, and with the way I've set it all up, it is VERY powerful... I record in Audio layers these days, so I can change effects on the fly in my projects, so that they are specific for any sound I want... All synths are connected dry to my RANE mixer, that is routed directly into the 1212m for audio recording... but in 1212m control panel, I can insert any 1212m FX before recording... I can also make an insert that sent the signal out of an output, and then back in (loop like on the FIREWORX)... so I can just route the signal to either Lexicon MX400 or T.C. Fireworx as I see fit... in any serial or parallel configuration I want.

I may even get another FX box if I can find one with unique FX, and connect that to the FIREWORX S/PDIF i/o for inserting into the routing of it... just not sure what that box would be yet.... maybe Kurzweil's Mangler or similar.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:28:16 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
Time for adding more rant...

As I've stated somewhere else, I'm now using a Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard (black) as my master keyboard, and I'm really happy with it. Really nice Fatar keybed, and with just the minimum number of keys I can accept, leaving my desktop more compact with space for other things... I've also come to really like the amount of free presets for this beast, in addition to it's really deep engine.... yes it has some quirks like all Waldorf synths, but I rarely run into any of them... It's now my one and only synths for sample oscillators and true wavetable synthesis.

Tomorrow I'll be getting a Nord Modular G1 synthesizer... actualy the small version with 25 keys... I may swap it for a rackmount someday if I decide to keep it.

My reason for getting this is that my main music style these days are Ambient, and a few advanced digital synths are a must for this genre, and the Nord Modular G1 has more than 15.000 free presets which will serve as a huge source of inspiration besides my own creations with it.... this is something I've learned over the past year or so... I seem to use the synths with most free presets, especialy those with a style suitable for Ambient music.

But there are more reasons to get the G1... first of, you can now get the DSP option again via a third party dealer so that I can get it maxed out which is important for deep pads in most Ambient music...

Another reason is that I intend on using real accoustic instruments too, along with other accoustic sound devices, and I think that using the G1's audio input will give me some really nice options for mangling the hell out of these sound sources live via a microphone, and then further into my TC Fireworx box.

So... next week this baby should arrive:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:10:30 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »
Nice one.

The G1 is a nice synth, next step the G2 :)

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:41 PM »
Or this one:

;D