Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #760 on: June 17, 2018, 01:55:25 AM »
I really like that sound, very beautiful! Have to try it on my Prophet 08, until now my sounds with self oscillating filter + fm have much more annoying high frequency content.  ::)

The trick is to use an envelope on the AudioMod parameter, so that it quickly return to zero audio modulation... it gives it a more controlled sound... there are other things too of course, but that is what I currently remember from the editing.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #761 on: June 17, 2018, 04:09:44 AM »
Thank you for the hint! Don't know why I didn't try it yet, because that's what I typically would do when creating fm sounds in the digital field (i.e. modulating the fm depth).

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #762 on: June 17, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/MoodyStringer.mp3

I made another preset today... it's a weird modulated stringer/organ like sound with lots of motion in "Jarre style".

I think it sounds rather unique, and it's 100% REV2, no external FX was used, it's the raw output from the REV2, as this is what I want with the preset bank I'm doing.

The preset uses two layers panned hard left/right to achieve stereo sound without using the FX engine... the fake reverb is done by modulating the VCA envelope via feedback, not via the internal FX since those are used with the Hipass filter setting... the hipass filter is set at 50/50 mix to turn it into sort of a frequency range booster when resonance is set high and then swept via an LFO... the two layers use different modulation speeds with the LFO's to create a thicker and more twirling sound.

A funny preset that I decided to name "Moody Stringer".

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
New Preset for the REV2 made today... I call this "Sea of Saws Pad"... I think the demo below explains that ;) ... nothing but REV2, no external FX.

This was an experiment trying to create a really dense, heavy, swirling pad sound, being able to modulate the cutoff via ModWheel for some performance stuff... the REV2 do not have long reverbs, so this one use very long delays instead, and stereo panned layers for a wide soundstage.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/SeaOfSaws.mp3

« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
... that will be the last and third synth I'll get...
50 bucks says that statement turns out to not be true...
 :)

I'll see your 50, and raise you 5000.  ;D  Just enough to get a PX.

Shaw

« Reply #765 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
New Preset for the REV2 made today... I call this "Sea of Saws Pad"... I think the demo below explains that ;) ... nothing but REV2, no external FX.
... sounds like the opening credits to a sci-fi movie.   Great textured sound.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

dslsynth

« Reply #766 on: June 20, 2018, 01:38:57 PM »
Interesting demos, Razmo!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #767 on: June 24, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »
Another preset done today... call it "Ice Lullaby"... this time there is some external reverb (Valhalla Shimmer) simply because I'm using other REV2 effects to create the raw sound... all presets are done to be standalone on a rev2, but some presets simply will not sound like I imagine them without a shimmer reverb, so the bank I'm doing will be a mixture of presets that is fine alone, and some that will need an external reverb... if the rev2 is to be 100% standalone with my banks, then a more advanced FX engine is needed (may I dare say, something the likes of the Deepmind 12) where more than one FX slot is available, and in more than one routing configuration...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/IceLullaby.mp3

One cool thing about the DSI synths (those with two layers) is that it allow for some neat tricks when you can stack two layers that each has their own separate FX engine... I'm using this a lot on my latest presets, and also this one.

The trick is that if the second layer has it's FX MIX parameter turned all wet, and use delays, you can create cool delays that is a bit out of the ordinary... in this demo, I copied layer A to B, but I transposed Layer B up an octave and made other changes to the sound in addition to leaving it's FX MIX at wet with a delay... the result is an echo that play an octave higher than layer A... you can do all sorts of cool things with this... :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:02:54 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #768 on: June 24, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Another preset done today... call it "Ice Lullaby"... this time there is some external reverb (Valhalla Shimmer) simply because I'm using other REV2 effects to create the raw sound... all presets are done to be standalone on a rev2, but some presets simply will not sound like I imagine them without a shimmer reverb, so the bank I'm doing will be a mixture of presets that is fine alone, and some that will need an external reverb... if the rev2 is to be 100% standalone with my banks, then a more advanced FX engine is needed (may I dare say, something the likes of the Deepmind 12) where more than one FX slot is available, and in more than one routing configuration...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/IceLullaby.mp3

One cool thing about the DSI synths (those with two layers) is that it allow for some neat tricks when you can stack two layers that each has their own separate FX engine... I'm using this a lot on my latest presets, and also this one.

The trick is that if the second layer has it's FX MIX parameter turned all wet, and use delays, you can create cool delays that is a bit out of the ordinary... in this demo, I copied layer A to B, but I transposed Layer B up an octave and made other changes to the sound in addition to leaving it's FX MIX at wet with a delay... the result is an echo that play an octave higher than layer A... you can do all sorts of cool things with this... :)
My favorite so far.  I used to do this trick (layered patches that are 100% wet) on the Nord Lead.  Sounds really nice here!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #769 on: June 25, 2018, 04:47:06 AM »
New preset today... this time it was some experimentation that ended in this preset... I had no specific intention when I started out, other than studying the FX section more in detail to know exactly what the different algorithms do, and how they could be exploited :)

I was rather surprised with what I came up with, from a REALLY simple preset... the demo is 100% REV2, no external FX, and the first half is even 16voices (1 layer only), the second half used unison to make the sound even more insane.

The Reverb algorithm, when used 100% wet will turn any string into an almost orchestral string-section that to me sound rather convincing... not 100% (of course, we're dealing with an analog synth here), but very darn close to the orchestral "feel"... this patch is what you play for anyone with a Prophet 8, when they ask you why you like the REV2 more ;)

I'm certainly going to use this trick for a LOT of string presets that need a bit more organic feel to them... I tried it with triangle waveforms too, and it instantly turned into a kind of flute-character church organ like sound, full of deep power and haunting overtones... (will be my next preset today).

This preset sounds so majestic, it instantly reminded me of huge army music for a fantasy movie, so i named the preset "War Strings" :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/WarStrings.mp3

Shaw

« Reply #770 on: June 25, 2018, 05:11:38 AM »
New preset today... this time it was some experimentation that ended in this preset... I had no specific intention when I started out, other than studying the FX section more in detail to know exactly what the different algorithms do, and how they could be exploited :)

I was rather surprised with what I came up with, from a REALLY simple preset... the demo is 100% REV2, no external FX, and the first half is even 16voices (1 layer only), the second half used unison to make the sound even more insane.

The Reverb algorithm, when used 100% wet will turn any string into an almost orchestral string-section that to me sound rather convincing... not 100% (of course, we're dealing with an analog synth here), but very darn close to the orchestral "feel"... this patch is what you play for anyone with a Prophet 8, when they ask you why you like the REV2 more ;)

I'm certainly going to use this trick for a LOT of string presets that need a bit more organic feel to them... I tried it with triangle waveforms too, and it instantly turned into a kind of flute-character church organ like sound, full of deep power and haunting overtones... (will be my next preset today).

This preset sounds so majestic, it instantly reminded me of huge army music for a fantasy movie, so i named the preset "War Strings" :)

I really like these types of simple yet effective synth techniques.  And you can gets lots of mileage out of them.  A few of variations I thought of while reading this:
1) increase your Reverb time and reduce your Reverb mix to 80% wet (or there abouts) — i think that would increase the lushness of your pad while maintaining your attack.
2) Stack mode — Layer A using a short Reverb that is 100%, and Layer B using a long Reverb set to 100%
3) Stack mode — Layer A using a chorus set to 100%, and Layer B using a long Reverb set to 100%.
4) Split mode — Layer A (left side?) a longRelease on the Amp Envelope and Reverb set at 100% for a pad sound, Layer B (right side) Reverb set to 70-80% and a short Amp Envelope Release for melody lines.

The permutations are almost endless with the number of effects and layers available on the Rev2.  Keep it up, you’re going to sell me on a Rev2 (which I am resisting because I still have my Prophet 12).

Cheers!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #771 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »

I really like these types of simple yet effective synth techniques.  And you can gets lots of mileage out of them.  A few of variations I thought of while reading this:
1) increase your Reverb time and reduce your Reverb mix to 80% wet (or there abouts) — i think that would increase the lushness of your pad while maintaining your attack.
2) Stack mode — Layer A using a short Reverb that is 100%, and Layer B using a long Reverb set to 100%
3) Stack mode — Layer A using a chorus set to 100%, and Layer B using a long Reverb set to 100%.
4) Split mode — Layer A (left side?) a longRelease on the Amp Envelope and Reverb set at 100% for a pad sound, Layer B (right side) Reverb set to 70-80% and a short Amp Envelope Release for melody lines.

The permutations are almost endless with the number of effects and layers available on the Rev2.  Keep it up, you’re going to sell me on a Rev2 (which I am resisting because I still have my Prophet 12).

Cheers!

That is exactly the way i love to do presets... experiment, so I'm fully with you on this one :) ... i often do not go for a specific sound, I'm more interested in experimenting with a certain part of the synth engine to see how I can "squeeze it" ... and from that "playing around" usually comes something unexpected... as with this preset that totally blew me away... i really did not count on such a simple trick to be so effective.

And I have to say, that what really gives the REV2 it's advantage over the Prophet 8 is exactly the FX engine combined with the dual engine... in fact I've now come to the conclusion that this dual layer is more powerful than you would normally expect, which has also made me redicide on my future purchases... I'm not getting a PEAK as it has only one layer... I'll get the P12 again at some point... also the possibility to route modulation to the VCA that effectively raise all 16 voices at the same time is unique to the DSI instruments, and it's a god send for me, when creating really atonal and dense drones (preset example will come later)... I can only dream of what I'll be able to accomplish with a Prophet X... with these three synths I'd have one hell of palette of sounds possible.

Regarding the P12 and REV2... yes... they overlap a great deal, but still, the P12 has a few areas it simply cannot compete with the REV2 and vice versa... the P12 got the audio rate modulation with FM and all, but it does not have the REV2 analog oscillators that are just cleaner, especially in the higher notes, and also the FX engine.

I'll be getting both, that's for sure... but I'll probably get a keys version, and not until I've made at least 128 presets for the REV2 within the next 5-6 months :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #772 on: June 25, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
Made another preset... I call it "Brass Funeral"... it's 100% REV2 again... no external FX used. Just imagine an ancient church with a ghost playing the church organ, and you'll be there ;) ... halfway in the demo below, I'm using the "Drone Trick" which is perfect in almost every case... really easy to do; just route the modwheel to VCA, and you're good to go.

In the background of this organ sound, I used Layer B to create a very faint and eerie howling wind noise... it develops very slowly so it is not so intrusive. The attached picture is what I was looking at while I created the preset... i usually look at a picture for inspiration :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BrassFuneral.mp3
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:12:50 AM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #773 on: June 25, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
Cool! Was that a tribute? . o O ( ;) )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #774 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:27 PM »
Another preset done today... this time inspired by a picture of a cave with running water :)

100% REV2, no external FX used on this one... took some time to get the synthesized running water good enough (can be heard halfway into the demo).

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/CaveRiver.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #775 on: June 26, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HarAkir.mp3

Another preset made today... 100% REV2.

Shaw

« Reply #776 on: June 26, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HarAkir.mp3

Another preset made today... 100% REV2.
Really Nice preset... you should make a bank of them and sell them. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #777 on: June 27, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Today I made a new preset, and refined some of the earlier ones... I've decided, that since my sounds are so ambient oriented, using the built in reverb just is not really up to standards... I'm pretty picky with reverb, so I decided to create my sounds, using the built in FX, but leaving reverb for an external processor, simply because it usually is just a single reverb, set up for a whole score anyway... too many mixed reverbs can sound too much...

I also decided that I would try not to use stacked mode unless it's really necessary, so that full 16 polyphony is available, which is pretty essential for long pas sounds and atmospheres, so i dissected the ones that had FX on the second layer, and made them stand alone presets... it gives more flexibility to mix and match as I record a score.

I put together a test of two sounds... a new one called "Ethereal Organ" and the running water I already made for my other preset... refined it a bit, and then combined them into this:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/2sounds.mp3

The external reverb is Valhalla Shimmer...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #778 on: June 27, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »
That was a really nice bit of music.  I liked the main patch, the very slow crescendo towards the end, and even the running water sound in the background.  Pensive and dreamy, and worth posting on YouTube as is, if you have a channel.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #779 on: June 28, 2018, 04:07:36 AM »
That was a really nice bit of music.  I liked the main patch, the very slow crescendo towards the end, and even the running water sound in the background.  Pensive and dreamy, and worth posting on YouTube as is, if you have a channel.

Thank you for the compliment :) ... personally, I'm not perfectly happy with the synthesized running water, but I don't think I'll get much closer with an analog synth anyway... I do have an old YouTube channel, but I've not been using it since I made it especially for the Waldorf contest some years back... maybe it's time to revive it some day.