Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
Tried using my breath controller with the Prophet 12 today... wanted to see how it would affect the sound... if it would give some organic feel to the traditional subtractive synthesis, and I think it does... It's actualy quite impressive considdering the sound is only a simple sawtooth in unison mode... I routed breath to volume, drive, air and vibrato depth... that's about it.

Here is an audio demo of it: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BreathTest.mp3

I'm selling my Yamaha VL70-m ... too many parameters for my liking, and I don't have the patience to learn how it works, but I'm definitely keeping my Yamaha BC3 breath controller  :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »
Tried using my breath controller with the Prophet 12 today... wanted to see how it would affect the sound... if it would give some organic feel to the traditional subtractive synthesis, and I think it does... It's actualy quite impressive considdering the sound is only a simple sawtooth in unison mode... I routed breath to volume, drive, air and vibrato depth... that's about it.

Here is an audio demo of it: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/BreathTest.mp3

Very cool. Sounds good to me.

I'm selling my Yamaha VL70-m ... too many parameters for my liking, and I don't have the patience to learn how it works, but I'm definitely keeping my Yamaha BC3 breath controller  :)

Wow, that was rather quick. Do you still own your Microwave, or did you sell it too?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
I sold my Microwave some time ago... and honestly, I don't really miss it.... but I do miss a modern wavetable synth with analog filters  ;D

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
I see. I only remembered that you went back and forth about it and couldn't get rid of it right away.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
I see. I only remembered that you went back and forth about it and couldn't get rid of it right away.

True... but I decided not long ago to only have modern analog synths in my rig... too many problems with the older ones. It was a tough decission, especialy the Microwave with analog filters, as I will probably never find one again.... though one went for sale here in Denmark not even a week after I sold mine :D

It's a marvelous machine... no doubt... but something had to go, and it "fueled" my Sub37 purchase, so I have no regrets :)

« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »
So are you still happy with your Sub 37?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »
So are you still happy with your Sub 37?

Very much... the only thing I cannot stand is the keyboard... I really do not like it... I'm using it as a module  :)

« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
Aw, okay. I guess the keyboard is a matter of taste. I think it's okay. The only thing that really bothered me was that it took me three (!) times to get an exemplar with an (almost) even keyboard.

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
On a slightly related note: I'm curious to see how the built quality of the Matrix Brute is going to be. So far, I've only heard good things from the people, who actually spend some time with it at NAMM. If Arturia gets it right, I might end up being tempted to pick one up in order to replace the Sub 37.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
I'd be interrested in the MatrixBrute also maybe... but I'll definitely not replace it with my Sub37... If I get it, it would be as an addition.

About the Sub37 keys... well... mine are actualy extremely even to be honest, but the pressure needed to play them are too much... it feels more like weighted piano like keys, and they are not good for fast runs for me... I want a much lighter feel.... also, I find that the velocity curve does not fit my playing style... it gets loud pretty fast, and I've not yet seen any place in the globals, where I can change the velocity curve... and then of course the range... three octaves are simply not enough for me, but I knew that prior to buying it, so it does not matter... I was prepared to realize, that it would only work as a module.... if they ever make a rackmount or desktop version of it, I will most likely sell it, and get that instead.

I've though about actualy getting an OB-6 as master keyboard instead... but it's so darn expensive... but OI want a Fatar keybed, and not many controller keyboards have these... they are mostly crap... this is one of my biggest problems right now.... finding a really good keyboard controller with 49 to 61 keys, that are not overly deep... preferably just the keys, a pitch and mod wheel... I don't need more, I rather need the space it would save me with such a slim keyboard.

I've been thinking about the Blofeld Keyboard... but I really don'rt like it's sound, and don't want 100% digital synths anymore... so dilemma again... that's why I got really sad that Waldorf's new Key37 was no four octaves... that would have been perfect for me...

« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
About the Sub37 keys... well... mine are actualy extremely even to be honest, but the pressure needed to play them are too much... it feels more like weighted piano like keys, and they are not good for fast runs for me... I want a much lighter feel.... also, I find that the velocity curve does not fit my playing style... it gets loud pretty fast, and I've not yet seen any place in the globals, where I can change the velocity curve... and then of course the range... three octaves are simply not enough for me, but I knew that prior to buying it, so it does not matter... I was prepared to realize, that it would only work as a module.... if they ever make a rackmount or desktop version of it, I will most likely sell it, and get that instead.

Nah, there is no velocity curve option. It has been requested a couple of times though. So far, you can only adjust the amount with regard to a modulation destination, that's all.

I've though about actualy getting an OB-6 as master keyboard instead... but it's so darn expensive... but OI want a Fatar keybed, and not many controller keyboards have these... they are mostly crap... this is one of my biggest problems right now.... finding a really good keyboard controller with 49 to 61 keys, that are not overly deep... preferably just the keys, a pitch and mod wheel... I don't need more, I rather need the space it would save me with such a slim keyboard.

I've been thinking about the Blofeld Keyboard... but I really don'rt like it's sound, and don't want 100% digital synths anymore... so dilemma again... that's why I got really sad that Waldorf's new Key37 was no four octaves... that would have been perfect for me...

Yeah, I hear you. When I played the Prophet-6 for the first time, I thought "this is how a keyboard should feel like." It's a shame that most manufacturers use budget keyboards, especially for MIDI controllers. You should have other good reasons though, to get something like an OB-6 as a master keyboard.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2016, 01:30:29 AM »
Exactly... I want a reason to buy a synth, just to get it's keyboard... buying an OB-6, just to get at the keyboard is completely nuts.... But in my case, I'd actualy like to have an OB-6, because it will offer me something I do not allready have; polyphonic multimode filter.

But other than that, it does not offer much that I do not allready have in my Prophet '08... and more, which is why the pricetag of the OB-6 burdens me.

I actualy wish that Dave would someday create a controller keyboard series, using these high quality keyboards from Fatar... but I guess I'm dreaming...

It's just not understandable for me, that not even a single manufacturer of controller keyboards, create some simple slim keybeds, with just the essentials and using these high quality keybeds... I'm certain they will sell, because I see this wish come up in MANY threads on different forums.

Currently there are ONE manufacturer that actualy use the Fatar keybed... Native Instruments... but it is so packed with stupid integration features for Komplete, that I just do not want to pay for, and it has pressure strips for pitch and modulation... just give me the good old pitch and modulation wheel thanx!

I may end up with a Blofeld Keyboard if I do not find something soon though... temporarily until something else pops up... but I'll probably not use it's synthesis.

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
The Studiologic VMK-161 Organ Plus has semi-weighted waterfall keys (Fatar TP-8O), so should be good for runs, if you don't mind the joystick bender. The same keybed can be bought from Doepfer as well.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »
The Studiologic VMK-161 Organ Plus has semi-weighted waterfall keys (Fatar TP-8O), so should be good for runs, if you don't mind the joystick bender. The same keybed can be bought from Doepfer as well.

But does it have velocity and aftertouch? ... and when you say Doepfer, does that mean you can buy it as a finished controller, or just the keybed? .. .i know that Doepfer sell keybeds for electronics projects too :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2016, 12:42:53 AM »
From Studiologic's homepage on VMK-161:

"The VMK-161 Plus provides the world famous full-size 61 key TP40GH with graded hammer action keys that give you a true piano-like feeling. No other keyboard has ever achieved this level of popularity and quality – just touch it, feel it and you will love it!"

I don't want a graded hammer action keybed that feels like a piano, that's exactly what I do not like. Also it is way too deep which is a problem... I want my master keyboard right in front of me, on the desktop, and on that desktop also needs to be at least a compact keyboard (for typing) and a mouse... That's why I need the master controller to not be very deep, so that the keyboard and mouse can go in front of it, without getting too far back so that I cannot reach the keys well.

I'm actualy considering getting a Blofeld Keyboard again... It has the least amount of keys I need, it has a good reputation of being a good Fatar TP-9S keybed that is light, it has aftertouch too, and the normal pitch and mod wheel... best of all, the size is very small, and it even has space on the right side for my compact keyboard.

The only thing that has made me hesitate is because it's a 100% digital synth, and I hate having stuff that I do not use... but with some extra thinking, it does have quite a few things I lack in my studio, and that I don't know if will ever be made with analog filters/VCa etc... and that is Wavetable synthesis and Samples that can be stored on an internal flash... it is basicaly what I've been waiting for DSI to do for some time, just in the digital domain entirely, so I'll get one of those, and call it the day.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:49:54 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »
Oh... I ordered one of these a few days ago by the way... Jomox T-Resonator mk2

It's normal use seems to be weird sound experimentation, but it seems it can be used as a delay FX as well, when used via a send on your mixer... this seems to fill the gap between a digital delay and a real analog delay... I've always liked the sound of an analog delay, but found that they degrade too much in the repeats... and digital just sound... well... digital... too clean.

This seem to give the long delays of digital, with less degradation, but still sound analog because of the analog filter in the feedback path... I'm wondering how it's chorus and reverbs will sound too... if good, I may even get another one for my mixers second stereo send, which is another good thing about this... it's stereo.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:51:18 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »

But does it have velocity and aftertouch? ... and when you say Doepfer, does that mean you can buy it as a finished controller, or just the keybed? .. .i know that Doepfer sell keybeds for electronics projects too :)

Aftertouch looks to be a non-starter on the Doepfer d3m, unfortunately. I'm also convinced that a bit of wood for the base is a good thing in terms of dampening the response of the keybed itself, so I may go all-DIY on this project.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »

Aftertouch looks to be a non-starter on the Doepfer d3m, unfortunately. I'm also convinced that a bit of wood for the base is a good thing in terms of dampening the response of the keybed itself, so I may go all-DIY on this project.

Well... good luck with that :) ... I've taken the easy road, and ordered a Blofeld Keyboard ... Hope this will finaly settle my need for a master keyboard.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2016, 04:13:26 AM »
Finaly got my Jomox T-Resonator mk2... I've tested it a bit to see how it sounds when used as an FX box (AUX send/return)... I want to use it as sorts of a semi-analog delay (it has analog filters in the feedback path)... it seems to work rather well...

The thing I wanted was to be able to have brighter delays than you get with an analog delay, as well... and that works fine, since this does not use bucked brigade chips, but a real digital delay... just with an analog filter and other stuff in the feedback path.

Here's a demo with my first experiment: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/T-ResTest.mp3

There are plenty of ways to make this thing go way beyond standard delays, and you really have to be careful with the volume while tweaking it, because you can get howling feedback really easy, but it also allow for crazy cross modulations between the two stereo sides... FM crossmod, mixing crossmod and other wild stuff to make the sound really unique... and the stereofield can get rather crazy too since each side is individual, but have all these cross modulation capabilities.

I've not messed with the reverb or chorus modes yet... but I bet this unit can be used both as reverb, chorus, delay and other stuff.

The only grief I have with it is, that it does not have memories to store your settings, but I'll live...

The demo above use the same delay on all sounds...

dslsynth

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »
The Jomox T-resonator II is on my GAS list too. Not because I envision it would do wonders for me but simply because its a lovely crazy idea just like their MBrane 11 is. Two things: (1) do try and play with the waveguide settings and (2) consider getting yourself some kind of analog limiter for your lovely new speaker smasher.

And yeah, just like with modulars there are no presets. Welcome to the eurowreck world!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature