Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #640 on: April 14, 2018, 05:20:26 AM »
I never use MIDI clock because it is awful in timing, also most Waldorf gear show clock timing issues, and that include KB37... I tried it via USB and DIN, and both were horrible beyond any use... But sending notes and CC was rock solid... No problem with that, but that means that the sequencing and arrangement has to be done on the DAW, and i am really tired of copy/paste/drag/drop/edit... I want the tactile feel of some hardware, and arrange while recording tracks on the fly... Besides, I several times witnessed the KB37 make extreme MIDI lag up to two seconds when pressing a key, needing to powercycle it to get USB to work properly... I am just simply tired of computer MIDI problems and timing issues... I want the rock solid timing of dedicated hardware... This is why I broke with MIDI now... I have decided to even go modular with FX too and not use plugins... I will only use the DAW for recording tracks, and a bit of mixing/mastering in the end...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #641 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:01 AM »
Kort SQ-1 has been looked at a few times, but I'm uncertain if it is for me because I allready tried a Dark Time sequencer, and did not like having to enter notes this way... I prefer entering them via keyboard... Also I'm sceptic that the knobs will seem toy like, like with the volca/monotron synths, or it having too many obscure double function knobs and switches... It may be handy for CV sequencing other stuff like cutoff etc. So I may look into it, if having an external compact sequencer could prove HP space saving... But still I like the ideer of the KB37 being the only hardware besides the DAW for recording, so I really do not know... Time will tell... I'll start with the bishop and see if that will do it for me first, then decide on extras later :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #642 on: April 14, 2018, 05:48:26 AM »
For drum sequencing, I'll eventually get the other Shakmat module "Four Blocks Root"... It seems to be the Bishop companion, just for drums, so it would be a nobrainer really, and I really do not need to sequence more than four drumtracks for a given project... Kick, snare, hihat and one more accompanying percussion sound... Other percussion like cymbals and FX can easily be recorded live...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #643 on: April 14, 2018, 05:56:10 AM »
I believe I will need a CV mixing module of some kind by the way because I would like to be able to transpose the two running sequences in the Bishop module from my KB37 keyboard, on the fly while turning knobs, to get some pitch variations into the sequences... So I need something that can add the KB37's pitch CV with the Bishop's two pitch CVs before entering the oscillator modules... I wonder if I need something special for this like with buffered mults...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:58:10 AM by Razmo »

chysn

« Reply #644 on: April 14, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
I believe I will need a CV mixing module of some kind by the way because I would like to be able to transpose the two running sequences in the Bishop module from my KB37 keyboard, on the fly while turning knobs, to get some pitch variations into the sequences... So I need something that can add the KB37's pitch CV with the Bishop's two pitch CVs before entering the oscillator modules... I wonder if I need something special for this like with buffered mults...

For transposition, you want a "unity mixer." Basically, it's a mixer whose output is an exact sum of its inputs. It's also often called a "precision adder." You want one that's nice and accurate.

I've talked about Pittsburgh Modular's Lifeforms Distro earlier in this thread. It has two 1x3 buffered multiples and a 2x2 unity mixer. I've also had Mutable Instruments Links, which has one 1x3 buffered mult, one 2x2 unity mixer, and one 3x1 averaging mixer.

The Xaoc Warna II is a bit bigger than Distro and Links (6HP vs. 4HP), but has two 1x4 buffered mults and one 4x1 unity mixer. It also has inverters on board, and--this is the awesome part--its mults are normalled to the unity mixer, which makes the inverters really handy.

I have Distro right now, and I have no complaints about it. If I could free up 2HP (which, right now, I simply can't find it), I'd jump all over a Warna.

If you just want a unity mixer, take a look at the Intellijel unity mixer in only 2HP. It has phase correction (for audio), and up to 6x1 mixing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:01:22 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #645 on: April 19, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »
As I could not get that wavetable module, I decided to look a bit further into wavetable modules available... most I find way too large for my liking, they eat up almost a third of my HP space... I could buy the E350 new, but it does have one thing which bugs me; no user changeable waveforms.

Normally I'd be ok with no user waveforms, but most of thee modules seem to have very few wavetables (of the ones at a HP size I can accept), which limits their usefulness in my opinion. Also, the E350 have no attenuators, and no build in modulators which I'd like to save space from having to cram other modules in to support it in most cases... a single LFO should be mandatory as you'd almost always want to modulate the waveform index/morph parameter.

I did find one wavetable module though, that after a little research gives me what I want... the Kotelnikov wavetable module... with OS 1.1 you can change the wavetable waveforms by playing an audio file into the SYNC input, and that's good enough for me, and they have a program that will create those wavetable audio files, which I'll be sending via a TipTop ONE module... that will make the transfer more simple for me... the Kotelnikov is only 8bit, but so was the Waldorf Microwaves... it's not a big deal when you consider some of it's other features:

1. It has it's own analog AD/AR/LFO generator included which can go far into the audible spectrum.
2. It has two passive analog filter modes for taking off some of the 8bit artifacts.
3. It can be sync'ed (hardsync), FM'ed and AM'ed well into the audio spectrum via a special multiplying DAC.

Especially the last point I find interresting because sync and AM together can create some rather cool formant like timbres... i recall this from the C64 SID chip... in general these modulations will allow for many more timbres than just the usual morphing wavetables. on top of this, the firmware is coded in assembly, which I find cool.

I was also able to find this one used at a fair price... I may have to order the firmware 1.1 upgrade from Russia, but it's only 3 dollars... i can manage that.

In addition I've also bought a used Bishop's Miscellany now... hope it will arrive tomorrow... I'll be using this for countermelodies to what the KB37 is playing, routing it's CV/Gate to other tone generators that interact with the main oscillator via Sync/AM/FM etc... the point here is to be playing the modulator via the Bishop's Miscellany to create moving and changing timbres... it was done a lot on the old C64 computer SID chip too.

And then I'm getting the Grendel analog formant filter as well... it seems like a fun module to introduce some robottic formant character into the system... I'm thinking about putting it on delays for example... did that in the past with the E-MU 1616m soundcards built in FX, and it sounds rather cool, but I bet I'll find other uses for the formant filter as well.

This also puts an end to the open space in my KB37... I now have more than 107HP worth of modules, and will begin creating a piee of music now, before buying more modules... oh... except for ONE more module... the ModTools from SSF/WMD... I need a few more LFO's going, that has become apparent to me.

chysn

« Reply #646 on: April 19, 2018, 04:25:42 AM »
I'm looking forward to getting your thoughts about Bishop's Miscellany. I'm really tempted to try it.

Have you looked at ALM SID Guts Deluxe? If you want that C64 sound, this would be a pretty direct route. You have to supply your own SID chip, but SID Guts puts it under CV control.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #647 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:02 AM »
I'm looking forward to getting your thoughts about Bishop's Miscellany. I'm really tempted to try it.

Have you looked at ALM SID Guts Deluxe? If you want that C64 sound, this would be a pretty direct route. You have to supply your own SID chip, but SID Guts puts it under CV control.

Yes I have seen that one. but I'm not that impressed with it's way of functioning... probably because that chip means so much to me, and I've started building a SID synth in the past... I actually have toyed with the ideer of making my own SID Eurorack module to work how I want it to... maybe I will at some point... If I can find a way to get the I/O CV etc. right... programming the chip is easy enough... it's the I/O and protection electronics etc. that would be the challenge... If I was to make one, I'd be wanting to lay ALL it's internal parameters available for control except the built in AMP Envelopes (they are buggy).. I'm seeing this as a three oscillator module with individual control of each oscillator, and the joint analog built in filter controllable as well... giving the option to audio rate modulate all parameters... but I'm not sure I'll ever get started on this project... :)

Besides... I have plenty of SID chips left from when I was building my SID synth, so obtaining one would not be hard... think I've got about 15-20 SIDs here...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:43:07 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #648 on: April 23, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »
I promised to give a review of the Shakmat - Bishops Miscellany...

I've tried it a little, but are having some problems getting it to fit into my workflow at this moment. I actually think the module is fine, it's just that to use it, you would have to have something else going in the background that has rhythm to it, and this is because it needs a clock input to work.

This cause problems in my setup because to have something running in sync, I'd have to use the KB37 CV/GATE output with the Bishop, but sine it's tied up with something else to get something going to play along to, I've got no way of recording anything into it...

Another reason is that to get the Bishop to sync to what's being played from my KB37 (via DAW), I'd need to reset the sequencer in it... KB37 send out a reset signal when the transport is stopped in my DAW, but my DAW keeps on sending out MIDI clock even when I stop playback, which means that the Bishop will continue running because of the MIDI clock pulses...

I'd say that the Bishop is not very useful together with the KB37 because of this... it may be more useful, if I got say; a KeyStep from Arturia to work as an input device to the Bishop because then I'd be able to record another sequence into it while KB37 is delivering the track to use as "backing" or "Metronome"... but then again it will become a problem to get the Bishop to line up with the DAW because of the way the SONAR sends out the reset signal...

I actually think I'll have more use of a second MIDI->CV/GATE interface that could be run from the DAW as well... it would also spare up the HP space in the KB37... this module MAY be one of the very few I'll have to sell again if I do not find a use for it.

« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
"I actually think I'll have more use of a second MIDI->CV/GATE interface that could be run from the DAW as well... it would also spare up the HP space in the KB37... this module MAY be one of the very few I'll have to sell again if I do not find a use for it."

If you decide to go the midi to CV/gate/clock route then...

The most flexible midi to cv/gate/clock device I use are the Kenton Pro Solo MK1 and 2.

I use the standalone external units but they also make a modular version.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/modsolo.shtml

The thing I like about its clock output is that it actually stops clock transmission when it receives a stop from the master midi sequencer.
Clock divide divisions and + or negative clock are also possible.

You can also utilise the +5v Reset out of the Kenton for resets to the modular unit also.

Have a read of the manual if your interested as it has heaps of features on board.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/prosolo.shtml

I have a Doepfer MSY2 midi to sync) also and that just keeps running (similar to your your DAW) as long midi clock is sent to it which is a bit annoying if your master can not stop Midi clock transmission.

Good luck.

Tim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #650 on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:28 PM »
Thanx for the info Chysn, and I will remeber about the Kenton because that clock stopping would be crucial if I'm going to clock the system from my DAW, and that is essential to me, otherwise I cannot sync layers to record in my DAW... I'll get one soon because I really would like to use the bishop, though it may be for something different because if i have a second cv/gate interface, I can as well just use that to play synced counter melodies which was what I wanted the Bishop for... So I may still sell the Bishop if it is not handy for other stuff

« Reply #651 on: April 24, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »
Also something to keep in mind is the Pro Solo Mk2 (current) model you can simultaneously:

1) Run clocks OR  Aux voltage out....
2) CV and Gate outs. and
3) Can select the Midi thru socket to instead be Sync 24 OR a switchable 0V/5V state (Reset).
(Have a read of the manual to make up a suitable cable otherwise Kenton sell pre-made cables for this task)

And then there is the midi syncable LFO on board for the CV or Aux voltage out ......

Hope it helps.

Tim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #652 on: April 28, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »
Next module is on the way... I simply need a pair of LFOs with a nice batch of features and decided on the WMD/SSF ModBox as this has the best features to HP space ratio, and match perfectly with my Ultra-Random Analog, Blender and DPLR... I'm thinking about getting their MiniSlew and ADSRVCA ... well I guess I'm building myself a small "modulation case" consisting probably of just SSF/WMD modules as they are quite feature packed and small in size... Modulation is alfa omega when creating a lot of sounds, but the different brands does not matter that much to me, as long as they are feature packed and small in HP size... that's why I'm thinking about creating a small tabletop case just for modulation modules that will not really be changed that much in the future, leaving the KB37 mainly for tone generators and tone manipulating modules like filters/waveshapers/FX etc.

chysn

« Reply #653 on: April 28, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
I love ModBox. Don't overlook these features:

* Sync - When you're syncing an LFO, values counterclockwise of 12:00 are divisors (1 cycle every 1-16 clock pulses), and values clockwise of 12:00 are multipliers (1-16 cycles every clock pulse).

* Phase - The 120-degree and 240-degree phase outputs are interesting departures from the traditional 90-degree and 180-degree phase. Try mixing these outputs together.

* Volt-per-octave - Both halves of ModBox track v/oct very well, so it's basically another oscillator. The only real caveat here is that it doesn't have a fine tune control, so it takes a bit of patience to tune it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #654 on: April 28, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »
I love ModBox. Don't overlook these features:

* Sync - When you're syncing an LFO, values counterclockwise of 12:00 are divisors (1 cycle every 1-16 clock pulses), and values clockwise of 12:00 are multipliers (1-16 cycles every clock pulse).

* Phase - The 120-degree and 240-degree phase outputs are interesting departures from the traditional 90-degree and 180-degree phase. Try mixing these outputs together.

* Volt-per-octave - Both halves of ModBox track v/oct very well, so it's basically another oscillator. The only real caveat here is that it doesn't have a fine tune control, so it takes a bit of patience to tune it.

Thanx for the tips :) .. .it does seem like a good module... I have been trying to find info on the frequency range of the LFO's but could not find any which worried me a bit because I'd like if they could go a bit into Audio territory so that I could use them as audio rate modulators for things, otherwise I may have to find a separate oscillator for this at some point... they do not need to track overly well, though it's nice if they can be tracked via 1v/o to get consistency over the whole keyboad range :)

I also ordered a TipTop audio ONE yesterday... I will need a simple sample player to introdue my recordings from my SONY PCM.D100 recorder, and I chose the ONE instead of Disting mainly because it's a one function per knob kind of module which suits my purpose and workflow-philosophy better... but also because I know it changes the samplerate when changing speed like my Kotelnikov wavetable module does... I prefer this as it avoids aliasing when pitch shifting, also, the ONE can playback 96Khz files which my recorder is able to record... it just seems like a more didicated and solid choice.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:39:09 PM by Razmo »

chysn

« Reply #655 on: April 29, 2018, 03:43:29 AM »
I have been trying to find info on the frequency range of the LFO's but could not find any which worried me a bit because I'd like if they could go a bit into Audio territory so that I could use them as audio rate modulators for things

If you just use the knob, it goes into low audio rates. I use it for audio-rate step-through of Phonogene's Gene Shift trigger, for weird robot noises. But the rate is voltage-controlled on both channels, and will go +/- 5 octaves under CV control at v/oct.

Also: I'll be interested in your thoughts on ONE when it arrives. And also, have you looked into W/ by Whimsical Raps? It's a new tape-style sampler, and it seems to be... weird.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:48:21 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »
I have been trying to find info on the frequency range of the LFO's but could not find any which worried me a bit because I'd like if they could go a bit into Audio territory so that I could use them as audio rate modulators for things

If you just use the knob, it goes into low audio rates. I use it for audio-rate step-through of Phonogene's Gene Shift trigger, for weird robot noises. But the rate is voltage-controlled on both channels, and will go +/- 5 octaves under CV control at v/oct.

Also: I'll be interested in your thoughts on ONE when it arrives. And also, have you looked into W/ by Whimsical Raps? It's a new tape-style sampler, and it seems to be... weird.

Yes, I've actually seen that one and read about it, but it's very weirdly explained, so I'm not certain if it's something I could use... i really think they should have dropped that mysterious way of describing it because it confuses more than it educates... but in general I got the impression it's a big tape machine... it could probably be used for lots of fun things, but with ONE I know exactly what I get, and that it has exactly what I feel i need of a sample player module... in general I'm only to use it for playback of large audio files that loop endlessly (recordings of nature, acoustic stuff etc.) so that I can manipulate the sound thru other modules for natural sound FX... that's about it really... being able to modulate pitch was not a big requirement, but it's handy for some things, like audio rate FM etc... other than that It'll be used also to store wavtable audio files for my Kotelnikov wavetable module... seems like the easiest way to get them into the wavetable module.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
Just ordered a MOOG 60HP empty case and a TipTop audio Zeus power module...

Actually my idear was NOT to get more cases, but after working a bit with the ideer of creating a unique setup in the KB37 from the modules I've got (and will get in the future), I find that some modules is more or less mandatory in each and every setup... this is mainly the modulation modules.

Thus I decided to create a MOOG 60HP case with only modulation modules that will not change very often, and only if other modules show up that can replace some of the modules, or have a more narrow HP usage.

This leaves the 107HP in the KB37 to everything else like oscillators, waveshapers, mixers, filters and effects modules.

If I ever want to, I have the space for yet another 60HP MOOG case on the other side of the KB37, but I honestly do not think I'll ever need one there... but it's nice to know it could be done if I wanted to.

The reason for the MOOG case is actually rather simple; it will fit between the monitor and KB37 at each side of my desktop, and the front of the MOOG case is slanted slightly so that the front is not flat and parallel with the tabletop, which is rather important... this is the main reason I did not take another case really.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #658 on: April 30, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/656564

Moduar grid link to my new modulation case... including modules I intend on getting later :) ... 6HP left for something I do not yet know...

chysn

« Reply #659 on: April 30, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/656564

Moduar grid link to my new modulation case... including modules I intend on getting later :) ... 6HP left for something I do not yet know...

There's a lot of great things you can do with 6HP. A second Blender might be a good choice in a nice modulation case like this. You can also fit a Boss Bow Tie. I freaking love Boss Bow Tie. A CV switch solves so many logic-related problems, and there's pretty much nothing like it in the hardwired synth world.

Or, you know, leave that 6HP blank for a while and see if anything jumps out at you.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his