Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
Ohh... and by the way... I've got a single MIDi I/O on my RME AIO soundcard which will be used for a single polyphonic analog synth at some point because I am almost certain that at some point I will want to do some pads live... but I've promised myself to NEVER AGAIN get a synth which is menu driven... it MUST be a 100% hands on analog synth, where every parameter is on the front panel... currently there are only ONE such synth available that I can find, and that is the Vermona Perfourmer, so it'll most likely be that one when the time comes...

If I do not get a polyphonic synth, I'll be pressed to record every note of a chord one by one, and that is not very intuitive...

also... no memory... I do not want to be lazy anymore... every sound from scratch...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #581 on: March 08, 2018, 08:09:34 PM »
If I do not get a polyphonic synth, I'll be pressed to record every note of a chord one by one, and that is not very intuitive...

I don't know if this is your thing, but I use MuseScore2 to explode chords into monophonic parts. It's a ridiculously easy way to turn a monosynth into a polysynth. But first you need to be composing with notation software. I start with MuseScore, export to a MIDI file, drag that into Ableton, and then I've got individual tracks. I'm putting the finishing touches on the modular part of the workflow, but I've currently got three MIDI-to-CV systems to choose from (Little Phatty, MicroBrute, QuNexus).

But... Prophet 6 isn't knob-per-functiony enough for you?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #582 on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:48 AM »

I don't know if this is your thing, but I use MuseScore2 to explode chords into monophonic parts. It's a ridiculously easy way to turn a monosynth into a polysynth. But first you need to be composing with notation software. I start with MuseScore, export to a MIDI file, drag that into Ableton, and then I've got individual tracks. I'm putting the finishing touches on the modular part of the workflow, but I've currently got three MIDI-to-CV systems to choose from (Little Phatty, MicroBrute, QuNexus).

But... Prophet 6 isn't knob-per-functiony enough for you?

That won't really cut it, as my way of working with chords are intuitive and live playing... I need to be able to play on top of what I've allready recorded, to find what I think works, so that is really not an option, though it may be nice for working chords into a composition in another creative way... i just do not like the ideer of having to score something on a computer first, and not with notation... i cannot write using notation so it's out of the question :)

The Prophet 6 is my "number two" solution... but I honestly think it's too expensive for what it does, and it has memory which I'd like to avoid... the reason for the Vermona Perfourmer is that it's 100% analog without memory, and for some reason I like the ideer that it has every voice configurable... I'm sure both would do the job, but the Vermona intrigues me more to be honest :)

« Reply #583 on: March 09, 2018, 03:02:27 AM »
The Prophet 6 is my "number two" solution... but I honestly think it's too expensive for what it does, and it has memory which I'd like to avoid... the reason for the Vermona Perfourmer is that it's 100% analog without memory, and for some reason I like the ideer that it has every voice configurable... I'm sure both would do the job, but the Vermona intrigues me more to be honest :)

Although it sounds like you're mostly set on the Perfourmer, here's another plea for the Prophet-6, not necessarily to persuade you, but just to keep it in mind as another possible option. I'm bringing it up because for actual recordings I very much stick to what you'd like to do, i.e. lots of live tweakings instead of automations and strict preset use. That's why I'd be just as happy if the Prophet-6 had only 40 preset locations, just like the original. In my experience it became one of the fastest synths to interact with, which is what interests me most when working with it. And yes, it's pretty basic as far as the number of parameters go, but you can still tweak a lot of things in realtime that can't be automated within the internal mod matrix, like for example the LFO modulation rate or amount settings in the PolyMod section (one can even enhance the paramater control externally via NRPN automation, which is of course not what you wanna do). And don't let the number of available parameters fool you—the Prophet-6 can be very flexible sonically. It does way more than 80s brasses, strings, and synth clavinets. And you have the alternative tuning options, which can trigger some interesting ideas.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #584 on: March 09, 2018, 03:21:55 AM »

Although it sounds like you're mostly set on the Perfourmer, here's another plea for the Prophet-6, not necessarily to persuade you, but just to keep it in mind as another possible option. I'm bringing it up because for actual recordings I very much stick to what you'd like to do, i.e. lots of live tweakings instead of automations and strict preset use. That's why I'd be just as happy if the Prophet-6 had only 40 preset locations, just like the original. In my experience it became one of the fastest synths to interact with, which is what interests me most when working with it. And yes, it's pretty basic as far as the number of parameters go, but you can still tweak a lot of things in realtime that can't be automated within the internal mod matrix, like for example the LFO modulation rate or amount settings in the PolyMod section (one can even enhance the paramater control externally via NRPN automation, which is of course not what you wanna do). And don't let the number of available parameters fool you—the Prophet-6 can be very flexible sonically. It does way more than 80s brasses, strings, and synth clavinets. And you have the alternative tuning options, which can trigger some interesting ideas.

I definitely have not put the P6 down yet... I know it's a one knob per function machine, and that it has a mode where it simply takes over the knobs positions so it behave like a 100% analog synth in that respect... I'm not in doubt that the P6 will deliver what I need in terms of that... it can do a lot more than a Perfourmer (which is basically just four monosynths with the most essential controls and features)... also the two extra voices is tempting.

What is most likely what makes the difference in my decision is the price really... it's almost double the price of a Vermona Perfourmer (without the modular option, which I might choose, which will let the price difference be a bit smaller)... The p6 does have one advantage though (which is also a limitation seen from another angle), that all 6 voices are set with the same controls... on the perfourmer you are required to change each and every single voice when you edit a sound, unless you want them to be different (which is the advantage)...

So... it's a hard choice, it really is, because both has something the other do not... what it all comes down to is not the advantages and disadvantages because I'd be able to use both... the question is which one I'd resonate best with, and I'm a little afraid that the P6 and it's presets and MIDI control will only end up with me starting to do an editor again, and be lazy and browse the memories when i need a pad... that is what keeps it at number two :) if that make any sense?

« Reply #585 on: March 09, 2018, 03:36:14 AM »
So... it's a hard choice, it really is, because both has something the other do not... what it all comes down to is not the advantages and disadvantages because I'd be able to use both... the question is which one I'd resonate best with, and I'm a little afraid that the P6 and it's presets and MIDI control will only end up with me starting to do an editor again, and be lazy and browse the memories when i need a pad... that is what keeps it at number two :) if that make any sense?

Makes perfect sense. Maybe I have an easier time just ignoring certain features, but I do get how every additional feature—be it MIDI-, preset-, or editor-related—can be tempting. You're not the only one thinking about going fully non-preset, etc.  ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #586 on: March 09, 2018, 03:51:31 AM »

Makes perfect sense. Maybe I have an easier time just ignoring certain features, but I do get how every additional feature—be it MIDI-, preset-, or editor-related—can be tempting. You're not the only one thinking about going fully non-preset, etc.  ;)

Thats the reason exactly ... I have a hard time looking away from the extra features if i know they are there... this is where the OCD like thoughts come in, and I'm actually afraid that I DO have some sort of OCD regarding this... I've gone totaly 100% hands on now, with no memory... and if I introduce a synth which defies this principle, I start getting this nagging feeling... just putting different manufacturer modules together makes me itch... I know it's ridiculous, but it's an urge inside me to have this extreme sense of "order" ... I'm trying hard to convince myself that it's STUPID... but the feeling is just there anyway... i cannot get rid of it... this is why the perfourmer does NOT produce these thoughts... it's 100% hands on, no memory, and it fits nicely into my only MIDI I/O left... things "add up" in the end... also something I've had to deal with for countless years... all those times I've felt "not ready" just because there is a SINGLE input in my mixer that is unused... it's a curse really to feel this way... it's become so much a part of my "music identity" that I could call it a "disorder" of sorts... it's both OCD like, and Autistic in nature... but I'm diagnosed with "high functioning autism", so it makes sense... and I just have to control myself and disciplinate myself harder than others... obviously...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:54:14 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #587 on: March 09, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
One thing I would say is make some some room for multiples, attenuators, offset attenuators and VCAs.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #588 on: March 09, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
One thing I would say is make some some room for multiples, attenuators, offset attenuators and VCAs.

The Lifeforms VCAs are both attenuators, VCAs and have offset knobs as well... and I've already included the Distro module which has two sections of buffered multiples (1->3) and a unity gain mixer with multiple option depending on how you use it... It also has a 2HP passive Multiples module... i think (hope) this is enough... I may put in a few more VCA's if I find out that I need it.

But honestly... this is a bit hard to decide on when you're new to modular ... i have to spend some time figuring out what I lack simply by working with it... but I do know about the VCA/Multiple importance... I've read it in many places.

Anyway... I have space on each side of my KB37 to place some 48HP Doepfer cases on top of each other, so I'll not run out of space for needed modules I think... I would be able to stack 4-6 of these on each side if i wanted to, though I don't think I'll ever need that much modular space.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #589 on: March 09, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »
http://razmo.ziphoid.com/LF-SV-1.mp3

A small quick demo I made of the LIFEFORMS SV-1 Variable State Filter in action... recorded the same sequence twice, and panned them -75%/+75% ... I really like this filter, mainly because resonance does not make the volume drop at all... man, I've missed this raw analog sound! :)

But I've decided to get other filters of different varieties since the filter sound will be crucial to the genre I'll be doing in my projects... I want Moog, Arp, SEM, Polyvoks, 303, SSM, Juno, Wasp, CEM and CS80 filters at some point...

chysn

« Reply #590 on: March 09, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
But I've decided to get other filters of different varieties since the filter sound will be crucial to the genre I'll be doing in my projects... I want Moog, Arp, SEM, Polyvoks, 303, SSM, Juno, Wasp, CEM and CS80 filters at some point...

The demo sounds good!

As for the array of filters you want, I'll share some info about the filters I've personally owned:

• Studio Electronics Boomstar 4075 is their ARP 2600 (most-Moog-ripoff) filter. I used to have one of these, and would highly recommend it. Mine left my system because I had too many filters, and I didn't like it as much as...
  • The Doepfer A-106-5 SEM is another filter I used to have. I really liked it, but as I moved away from filters and toward wave-shaping, I wanted a 24dB/oct filter in its place, which led to...
  • Mutable Instruments Ripples, which is more or less a Roland SH/Jupiter filter, with band-pass, 12dB, and 24dB outputs, and an integrated VCA. This is the one I still have today, and its size, flexibility, and sound is hard to beat. But also...
  • Dave Smith DSM01 can't be overlooked if you need a CEM filter. Since I wanted to get down to only one "traditional" filter, I picked the Ripples because of the bandpass output, which is (for me) an essential thing to put before a low pass gate. But if you've got the room for it, it should be on the short list
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #591 on: March 19, 2018, 07:56:54 AM »
The forum seems to have lost several days of data. Did you get your stuff yet?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #592 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »
The forum seems to have lost several days of data. Did you get your stuff yet?

Nope... I'm walking around in cirkles like a lion in a cage, waiting for it to arrive... should be here wednesday, if I'm lucky, tomorrow :) ...

I decided to go for some voice-modules, as I want to see 2-3 voice modules as "layers" in a monophonic synth to build up patches... they give me most bang for the buck here to begin with... i also intend to stay by my original plan, which was to only use for a project what can be put into the KB37... So I'll get other synth voices to swap in the future, and also other modules with a single purpose to fill out the space of what is left in the KB37... these will most likely be FX like units and maybe something to modulate stuff in the voice modules... I know I should NOT start to plan something big in another case because I'll only end up waiting again... I can't control it :)

So I bought a buffered multiple from 4ms, that is 3HP wide, intentionally because that will eliminate that extra 1HP that is always left over in the KB37's 107HP... I should be covered well with that module, and it will always be included in any setup anyway.

Besides that, I bought a Tonestar 2600... It has lots of functionality in just 32HP, and it sounds really good... Allways wanted an ARP like filter, and this has "that sound".... also it's ability to patch "outs to outs" gives it a lot more potential than is obvious.

But the Tonestar is only one oscillator, which means no FM, no Sync etc... I want that option so I originally decided to get another oscillator, but then I spotted the cheap MFB Nanozwerg Pro voice module, and this has all I need... FM, Sync and even a State Variable Filter... in addition to a few other modulation sources including sample & hold which the Tonestar do not have... so I bought this as well...

And this is what I'll be starting out with... I'm not certain of the next purchases really, except that I want a Doepfer mini stereo mixer module which has pan functionality, which will be handy when using the synth voices as layers, and give me some panning options of the "layers".... another module I know I'd want is a voltage controlled crossfader to morph between different audio signals... I'm also on the lookout for the Souseki Phaser (clone of the Smallstone phaser pedal)...

I've been looking about for other stuff in the past that I'd like to get... the Make Noise Endorphines, but also the Mutable Instruments synth voice looks interesting for ambient stuff (Elements).

But all these things... I don't need them to get started, so they'll just "drip in" as I have the funds to buy them, adding to future projects etc.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:31:07 AM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #593 on: March 19, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
Mutable Instruments just posted this video in case you wanted to be tempted in that direction:
https://youtu.be/0bBixVuOh7M
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2018, 03:52:08 AM »
Mutable Instruments just posted this video in case you wanted to be tempted in that direction:
https://youtu.be/0bBixVuOh7M

I generally like the MI modules, when it comes to digital sound sources... but I also find that they sound maybe a bit too clean and polished... but this is a typical sound of digital sound sources of today because they have so high bit depth, sample rate and is digitally polished to perfection... I tend to prefer older style digital sound sources better, from the 90's because the converters are in lower bit depth and more "gritty" to them... I do not know if it's just placebo, because you should be able to emulate this even with new DACs...

So yes, I may get something MI at one point, but not to replace analog stuff... only for getting what analog cannot do. The choices are limited thouogh since I've decided to only use synth-voice modules, ... thus the only one that has my attention at the moment is Elements really... it is rather spectacular though.

In fact I ended up with the ideer, that I'll be using two of the same synth-voice module, in combi with a digital FX processor... nothing more... the first setup will be of two Tonestar 2600, connected to a TipTop Audio Z-DSP using a variety of FX algorithms, especially the ValhallaDSP ones.

I've chosen this solution because I want to disconnect myself from the DAW as much as possible... that goes for the FX as well... The only thing my DAW will be doing is playing the sequence of a track via MIDI, while I'm recording the track from start to finish, tweaking live on the knobs when recording... one huge recording take... this will be how it goes for each and every track... a little bit of post processing may be done if necessary like EQ and stuff, but I want this at a minimum.

This is why the FX goes into the modular... it allow me to tweak the FX live on the Z-DSP while recording... same with the Tonestars, while still being able to make automated changes to parameters from the MIDI track using the KB37 build in CV converter.

The reason for two of the same synth-voice is simple... stereo processing in a more advanced format than just simple panning of a mono signal... with each module connected to it's own output (L/R) a lot of strange panning options is available.

I may change the FX module og synth-voice modules in the future depending on the projekt at hand, but it will always be a 2-synthvoice + FX module setup... I feel (after toying with the ideers for a while) that extreme modular setups is just not for me... too many "loose ends", too uge and uncomprehensive... just want to keep it simple and constrained.

Probably does not make much sense, but it does to me :D

chysn

« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
The great thing about modular is that if you have the patience (and, of course, money), you can have whatever you want, and everybody else can just $%&* off. So, there's not a lot of judgment. I can see a lot of benefits of going with single-voice modules. One of my issues is that I'm often solving a jigsaw puzzle; a change in one part of the system has implications downstream or upstream that require (or strongly imply) the presence or absence of other modules.

For example, I swapped out Moskwa for Tetrapad. Tetrapad made µScale worse (because Tetrapad sends quantized pitch), so I'm swapping out µScale for Tirana II, to sort of fill the sequencing gap left by Moskwa, but then I'm left with a minor ergonomics puzzle. Some potential changes affect things more deeply, so I avoid them. I avoid changes in general, unless they're very compelling, as was Tetrapad. The jigsaw puzzle is a challenge, but it's one that I enjoy.

With single-voice modules, you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff, if worrying about that stuff isn't your bag. No need to think about voltage ranges (yay, Tirana II has a 10V mode for Phonogene's sound-on-sound CV!) or gate voltage (boo, Moskwa's gate is 4.7V, which isn't enough to sync ModBox!). If you want a distraction-free experience, you could do a lot worse.

Enjoy!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #596 on: March 21, 2018, 05:31:28 PM »
That is exactly the point... And the smaller the system, the more sacrifices you are forced to make... When I try to create a setup, I try to find modules that will either create a standard synth architecture, like i did with my first Pittsburgh setup, and it was good for that and allowed good flexibility... But then I started thinking about wanting other filters and soon there were no space left... I was allways forgetting, that it would be impossible to create a system that small that would give me a little of everything... The synth voice approach restrict what I can do, but it also makes me think more and harder on how to create sounds.... The three layer approach gives me a lot to work with in a little space...

I just got the Tonestar 2600 and the Nanozwerg Pro... Later is going back, it cannot win a comparison with the Tonestar... That ARP filter and that oscillator is the best I've had! ... And that shitty little module is actually perfect for what I want...i love this module so much, I want two more of them for the two remaining layers... I'll buy the 8106 Roland model in a weeks time... And then I hope SE will do more of these... I'd like a SEM version too...

Point is... Eurorack really is not my thing in it's intended usage... I just want a very special standard synth with three oscillators, filters and VCAs, with 100% hands on knobs and switches... If a standalone synth like this was available, it would have done it... And the only one that gets close, is the Perfourmer... And I will buy that as a complement synth later for doing poly duties, getting the one that can interface to modular stuff... Then I will not buy more, unless some very special synth voice modules 32HP in length pop up...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2018, 06:19:21 AM »
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/614237

I've had the TONESTAR 2600 for some time now, experimenting with it, to see how many tones you can get out of it, and what it's weaknesses are. I find this little synth-voice module very well sounding and rather capable tonewise for a lot of sounds... it's weakest spots is that it does not have two oscillators, and that the one it has, has no input for waveform sync... on the other hand it can audio rate modulate any input, be it the VCO frequency, Filter Frequency or the VCA... even the LFO Depth and Rate can be modulated, also the ADSR can be modulated... every mod input has it's own attenuator, so you don't really need any VCA externally to control the amount of modulation going into the modulation inputs... the TONESTAR 2600 is basically very much self contained in all aspects... I would dare to call this module perfect actually, despite it's few shortcomings.

So to circumvent those shortcomings, I've decided to get another TONESTAR2600 into the equation of my small KB37 setup... this alone gives me several nice options when combining the two in different routings. The two can be mixed together and work as two standalone "layers", or they can be connected to and from each other in a lot of different ways... they can also be put in parallel so that each drive a side in the stereo perspective (L/R) for really wide sounds or strange panning permutations when modulated for it.

I decided, that having three of these for layering was not really the way to go, mainly because the KB37 is capable of sending only one gate and two CVs (for duophonic playing), so having two voices seemed most logical, and in most layer patching you would normally just use one voice for the transient build, and the other for the sustained tone... so two "voices" is actually enough.

So I thought hard about what to include in the rest of the HP space I had left which was more than one third actually. I tried to think about what I really wanted to achieve in my music, and what features those genres would benefit from... I'm going to make mainly Ambient, Berlin School and electronic music in general, so I found that being able to make slow and evolving/morphing textures would be alfa omega. To do this I'd need some way to introduce slow moving CV signals to different modulation inputs, and for this there is no better way than using the KB37s four control CV outputs (Control X, Y and Z + Sensor)... I can control these outputs very precisely from my DAW which is my main sequencer, creating all sorts of CV signals that rise and fall etc... so no need to invest in a lot of modulation modules just for this... the DAW handles it a lot better, and is visually and timing wise a lot better.

So what to buy!? ... I quickly saw a use for a separate analog filter for more than one reason. The first is that the TONESTAR 2600 only has a lowpass filter to work with, and I will most certainly need both hipass and bandpass too, plus 12db versions... so a multimode filter is essential... this is why I included the Pittsburgh Binary Filter which is a State Variable Filter with all modes and 12db slope... This filter is meant as a shaper of the mixed signal of the two TONESTAR modules... this is a huge advantage when I need to do very slow fade-ins and outs of whatever the two voices are playing... it can be seen as a kind of "master filter", and I decided to pair it up with it's own separate ADSR as well. This means that I can make patches where I control the cutoff manually for performance, but also trigger the envelope.

But why the need to trigger a third filter, when the two voices have their own ADSR and ASR envelopes? ... this is where another ideer I got comes in:

The basic waveforms of an analog voice can sound rather static, even when modulated thru a VCF and VCA... with ambient stuff I need evolving soundscapes that shift around, so I thought that since the TONESTAR allows you to set the VCA into drone mode, I could see the TONESTAR as sort of like a very advanced oscillator too... by modulating it's filter frequency with it's oscillator at audio frequencies (high resonance to create a sine to modulate), plus the weird "outs to outs modulation" that the TONESTAR also performs, you are actually able to create extremely complex waveforms, especially when you take all the other sound sculpting features it has into the modulation (EGs and LFO plus drive and feedback)... this will result in some moving and complex timbres that just drone... from both TONESTAR modules, and they could even be intertwined between each other for even stranger outputs. With these two "oscillators" mixed, and going into the multimode filter for the final shaping you could create lots of moving sounds that even change drastically on each trigger depending on the modulations going on in the TONESTARs... this can be cool for constant changing percussion or weird FX sounds modulated manually by the multimode filter.

But to get the two voices mixed, I needed some sort of mixer... I ended up including a LIFEFORMS Mod Tools module for this... it has a simple but effective two channel unity mixer, which is exactly what I needed for this, and this mixer even allow for a rectified output as well between the two voices... The Mod Tolls module gives a lot of other useful stuff like a very much needed Sample & Hold generator with noise output to top it, and an LFO to generate the hold time... I need this feature to create randomness on the modulation inputs of the two TONESTAR modules... Also there is a modulation section more that will give me both an EG, LFO, Oscillator, Slew generator and Envelope follower... all nice additions to induce more havoc into the modulations. A very nice module to add... but I soon saw the need to have two of these, so that I could assign one for each TONESTAR module separately... thus there are two of them in the setup now. With the top section of these modules capable of functioning also as oscillators they will serve well as audio rate modulators of the TONESTAR modules.

Finally... I decided to include a LIFEFORMS sequencer module as the final module... the reason is that it can be clocked via the KB37's clock/reset outputs and thus play in sync with my DAW. The DAW will handle the sequencing of melodies in both mono and duo modes, so this is not where the sequencer module is meant to do it's duties... but sometimes it's nice to let the DAW only play one of the TONESTARs, and then have the other one do another melodyline... this is not possible via duophonic playing since it only has one gate signal... this can be fixed with the addition of the sequencer module.

But the sequencer can and will be used for many other things as well... like controlling modulation inputs of other parameters than just pitch... the multimode filter is a likely candidate, but a lot of other options are possible.

This whole setup I just explained is of course just the more "hardwired" approach... Semi-Modular approach of course... I could completely use all modules in other strange ways... like route the outs of a TONESTARs oscillator section into the multimode filter, and then route that back into the same TONESTAR modules VCA input, simply to replace the internal filter with a multimode one if I wanted that... loads of possibilities I think, in this small eurorack system... I feel that it's "complete" now... the next TONESTAR will be bought real soon... and in time I'll get two of the other TONESTAR version with the Roland filter to mix and match from project to project... other synth voice modules that are 32HP wide could also be likely candidates, but it's not on my list specifically... I like the TONESTAR line a lot, and hope more will come in the same format... 303 filter, SE80 filter, Moog filter etc... just keep 'em coming!!! :D

Well... that was todays update rant... if you made it here, congratulations, you've won the right to hear my experimentations as they develop in the future ;)

Feel free to comment on the setup :)

chysn

« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »
Looks like a solid setup.

Can the KB37's duophonic outputs be set to a monophonic mode? If so, then you can ditch the buffered mult. Otherwise, you need to keep it.

every mod input has it's own attenuator, so you don't really need any VCA externally to control the amount of modulation going into the modulation inputs...

Having attenuator knobs everywhere is great. That plays a big part in the decisions I made (see Sputnik Dual Oscillator, Ripples, Phonogene). But I don't think it really replaces VCAs because you run out of hands. You'll really miss them if you want complex, slowly-evolving textures.

But you're definitely off to a good start, so try that stuff and see where it takes you.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »
Looks like a solid setup.

Can the KB37's duophonic outputs be set to a monophonic mode? If so, then you can ditch the buffered mult. Otherwise, you need to keep it.

every mod input has it's own attenuator, so you don't really need any VCA externally to control the amount of modulation going into the modulation inputs...

Having attenuator knobs everywhere is great. That plays a big part in the decisions I made (see Sputnik Dual Oscillator, Ripples, Phonogene). But I don't think it really replaces VCAs because you run out of hands. You'll really miss them if you want complex, slowly-evolving textures.

But you're definitely off to a good start, so try that stuff and see where it takes you.

No... it works rather basically really... it just allocate the second pitch CV to the Control X output... it does seem to work in mono though when only pressing a single key down, both pitch CVs are set the same... so in theory I could skip the buffered mult... but it serves no purpose to remove it really... also because the state variable filter needs a pitch CV input if it is to track the keyboard... but the filter is not self resonant so it's probably not as crucial... but it would still need the pitch CV, and if I start to split one of the CV outputs, I'd get impedance trouble for one of the Tonestars... Also, my multiple serves two functions... stable pitch of course, but also it's 3HP wide and thus eliminate the 1HP leftover I almost always get as most modules are not an uneven number in HP... I only have ONE 3HP module I'd like to swap it for... a small tube-distortion module I saw called "Ivan"... I'll probably just stick to the multiple module... and see if it can be omitted at some point...

About the VCA's ... I don't see where I would need them to be honest... I know their value, but when all inputs have attenuators on the TONESTARs and other input sockets, where would I need them? ... the slowly moving stuff I'll do via automate lanes in my DAW, sending MIDI CC's to the KB37 which then converts them to CV on the four output CV patchpoints called Control X, Y and Z plus the Sensor input... these automation lanes I can configure with both straight lines and curved ones to perfectly fit the sequence measures etc... This is much more useful for me to do filter sweeps, morphs, volume sweeps and other stuff... I totaly understand what you're saying, but you may have missed that I have 4 "VCA's" in the DAW that act as "hands" :) ... I've REALLY thought this setup out carefully... but you know... sometimes something slips, and you miss something, so thanks for the warning :)