Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:54 AM »
And here is why I chose the modules in the above picture.

The goal is to make a single, selfcontained analog voice with as much flexibillity as possible, using just LIFEFORMS modules from Pittsburgh... I like the design, i like the sound, and that most modules has built in attenuators on their CV inputs, so that I'm free from having a lot of separate VCA's for that job. A few of the modules are duplicates (tools and ADSR) simply becaue I decided that I would find modulation modules that are to be ganged with the different audio modules they are supposed to control in most cases... thus a mod tools module for the oscillators, an ADSR for the VCF and VCA each and another mod tools specifically for the BBD delay module... everything is of course usable all over the place, but I like to have a system, where it's a basic analog subtractive routing layout... thus all modules have also been laid out in the order of general signal flow here.

1. LIFEFORMS Double Helix Oscillator module.
This module seems to be rather selfcontained... it even include an LFO which is handy, a noise source, a sub oscillator... but most importantly it has separate outs for all the waveforms which also contain sine waveform and blade waveform (PWM sawtooth basically)... in addition it has a handy routing matrix at the bottom which will be handy for live tweaks, and that is something I intend doing... live tweaking... so there are four modules in the picture you cannot see... two "hand modulation modules" and two "foot modulation modules" ;) ... also, the oscillators can go so low in frequency, that they are also useable as LFOs in case one needs that... it seems like a rather powerful oscillator module in itself, but I decided to gang it with a mod tools module as well beccause this module sports some additional logic functions, sample & hold plus a multi-tool EG/LFO/SLEW/EG FOLLOWER which will be handy for many pitch modulation purposes. Also the module includes a wavefolder with a Low Pass Gate for even more options in sound sources.

2. 2x2 mixer... pretty straightforward... it can work as two mixers with two inputs each, or as one 4 channel mixer... there is nothing special about this module, it's just an essential part of any subtractive synth... this is where the chosen oscillator signals are mixed, and in the future, this is where digital oscillators from additional cases could be plugged in.

3. State Variable Filter... a nice filter that gives me both LP, BP and HP outputs... better than a regular LP alone since it will give me more filtering options... I'm not sure if it's 12db or 24db but that does not really matter because I'll get external filter modules later if needed. I decided to gang it up with a dedicated ADSR module which is essential.

4. Dual VCA module... the usual subtractive module... essential as allways, and of course ganged up with it's own ADSR too... otherwise no special mumbojumbo on this one.

5. BBD analog delay module... this is the only module that is not normally included in a subtractive synth, but I like the idear of having this at the end... it can of course be used for longer delays (up to about 2 seconds) which it will probably also be used for, but also for creating shorter modulation FX or inserted in different places in the signal chain... it'll certainly add some flexibility to the system... it also need something to modulate it, so I ganged it with yet another mod tools module.

6. Sequencer module... this is the first module and I was in doubt if I should include it, but after some serious thought I decided it would add a lot of possibillities to the equation, even if I'm hooked up to my sequencer via MIDI anyway... it's nice to have this module clocked to the MIDI clock coming from the DAW, so that it can introduce rhythimcal contra-melodies to what is played on the daw... even if it's not gating any EGs it can still supply rhythmic stuff into other parameters in the system... it also have ratchet functionallity and a hell of a lot of other playing modes, so it's a nice part of the system i think.

That's it basically... I know it's not a huge million-possibillities setup like bigger systems, but that's the point... it needs to be a middle sized analog subtractive hands-on system, with the possibillity to add things in on the fly, and I think it will do this fine... the final price is somewhat around just below 2.000 Euros, and the system should be build to the last module in a month or two, with most modules (about 2/3) by the start of next month... untill then I'll be playing around with the SV-1 before sending it back to the dealer... I'd be very frustrated to go another month without the chance of playing something :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:05:33 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2018, 05:14:50 AM »
It looks like a nice system. The Pittsburgh Modular stuff is very well-made, and sounds great. I've got some random notes:

(1) Can you post your Modular Grid URL, or--better--put it in your signature? Modular Grid's screen shot functionality is low-res and everything's hard to read. I'd rather go right out to Modular Grid. Right now, you've got your rack set to "private," so it can't be seen by anyone but you.

(2) I suggest not bothering with the Moog 60HP cases. They're too small for the money, and they're really awkward when it comes to running power to them. You mentioned that your first plan involved RackBrute, and IMHO that's still a much better choice.

(3) Consider how you're going to handle CV to the Double Helix. The KB37 has only one pitch CV out, so you'll need a buffered multiple to accurately distribute the same voltage to both oscillators if you want them to play the same notes. Pittsburgh makes the Distro for this purpose. Distro also has a unity mixer, which you'll appreciate for transposition with the keyboard and sequencer. The question, of course, is always "what to replace?" For me, I'd drop one of the ASDRs for a Distro, because you've got a pair of Mod Tools.

(4) Once you get it, I'd be interested in your thoughts on Micro Sequence. It looks like an impressive package, and for a while I considered swapping my Moskwa (20HP) for a pair of these, before deciding that I loved Moskwa too much to do that.

(5) Analog Replicator is going to be the life of your party, I think.

(6) I understand the allure of the single-manufacturer system, but the only module choice issue I have here is the Pittsburgh Dual VCA. Tangle Quartet is four VCAs in 8HP, with the ability to add or remove each one from the mix independently. It costs only marginally more, but you'll eventually value more VCAs.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:45:09 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #562 on: March 04, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/614237

As you can see from the link to modular grid, the order of the modules has been changed... unfortunately not into what I would most have liked, but KB37 has a limit of 25mm depth over the PSU, so I had to make a setup of the modules so that I'm sure they can actually be there... it's a bit unclear about the depth in that region because the faceplate of KB37 is angled, so closer to the top of a module, it can actually be deeper... so it depend on how each module is physically build if it can be there or not, especially because it matters where the A100 connector is located... so in this config, I've placed all the modulation modules out right with a one HP blind panel to separate them (probably the only good thing I've found yet for that 107th HP! :/ )... it seems that only modules with a single curcuit board can fit in that part of KB37... with two sandwiched curcuit boards most modules seem to be at least 35mm deep... but then again... is that INCLUDING the connector or just the boards? I cannot find any info on that anywhere... if it is including the connector, and it sits further against the top, then a double board module may be able to fit as someone I read had measured the distance to the PSU in the bottom to be 28mm...

I've also taken out an ADSR because you're right... I only need one for the Filter in most cases... the mod tools can handle a simpler ASR envelope for the VCA in most cases... I did not know that pitch stability was only insured by a buffered mult, but you're right... I WILL need one of those DISTRO modules, so it has been put in now... also I threw a passive mult in as well, but I'll probably search for something else for that spot since I really do not need it when I'll be using TipTop Audio cables that are stackable for this purpose...

And then the bitter part... yes... I'd like all modules in this KB37 to be from Pittsburgh LIFEFORMS series... it's almost giving me OCD feelings thinking about putting something else in there, and I foresee this being one of my greatest problems, even though it should not be... it gives me this feeling of a "bastard case" :D ... I'll have to think it over... but if I do not feel I need more than two VCA's in this system alone, I'll probably stick to LIFEFORMS modules... I do have a plan to make some bastard cases... i could always have extra VCA's in that one... and yes... I'll stick with the Brute solution... I already decided that since ;) I actually wondered why that RackBrute was 88HP when the standard is normally 84HP (the width of a normal rack system)... until I realized that it uses a 4HP power module...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:24:27 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #563 on: March 04, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »

As you can see from the link to modular grid, the order of the modules has been changed... unfortunately not into what I would most have liked, but KB37 has a limit of 25mm depth over the PSU, so I had to make a setup of the modules so that I'm sure they can actually be there... it's a bit unclear about the depth in that region because the faceplate of KB37 is angled, so closer to the top of a module, it can actually be deeper... so it depend on how each module is physically build if it can be there or not, especially because it matters where the A100 connector is located... so in this config, I've placed all the modulation modules out right with a one HP blind panel to separate them (probably the only good thing I've found yet for that 107th HP! :/ )... it seems that only modules with a single curcuit board can fit in that part of KB37... with two sandwiched curcuit boards most modules seem to be at least 35mm deep... but then again... is that INCLUDING the connector or just the boards? I cannot find any info on that anywhere... if it is including the connector, and it sits further against the top, then a double board module may be able to fit as someone I read had measured the distance to the PSU in the bottom to be 28mm...

I've also taken out an ADSR because you're right... I only need one for the Filter in most cases... the mod tools can handle a simpler ASR envelope for the VCA in most cases... I did not know that pitch stability was only insured by a buffered mult, but you're right... I WILL need one of those DISTRO modules, so it has been put in now... also I threw a passive mult in as well, but I'll probably search for something else for that spot since I really do not need it when I'll be using TipTop Audio cables that are stackable for this purpose...

And then the bitter part... yes... I'd like all modules in this KB37 to be from Pittsburgh LIFEFORMS series... it's almost giving me OCD feelings thinking about putting something else in there, and I foresee this being one of my greatest problems, even though it should not be... it gives me this feeling of a "bastard case" :D ... I'll have to think it over... but if I do not feel I need more than two VCA's in this system alone, I'll probably stick to LIFEFORMS modules... I do have a plan to make some bastard cases... i could always have extra VCA's in that one... and yes... I'll stick with the Brute solution... I already decided that since ;) I actually wondered why that RackBrute was 88HP when the standard is normally 84HP (the width of a normal rack system)... until I realized that it uses a 4HP power module...
I understand the CDO (that’s OCD in alphabetical order) kicking in, but the whole point of modular is designing your system to the functionality that you prefer.  I tend to do the same thing when thinking about putting together a modular system — “which modules go together visually?”.  I suppose if it really concerned you, you could get whatever modules you wanted, remove the faceplates, paint them white / black / purple / whatever, re-assemble, and voila.

Conceptually though, I like going with all Pittsburgh Modular stuff... very old school.

Here’s my attempt at putting together a 107hp system for the Waldorf KB37... https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/614318
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

chysn

« Reply #564 on: March 04, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
I'll probably search for something else for that spot since I really do not need it when I'll be using TipTop Audio cables that are stackable for this purpose...

Thanks for the Modular Grid link.

Stackables are awesome for a small system, especially when your modulation destinations outnumber your sources.

If you can stand it, the 3HP Erica Pico line is the perfect way to fill out odd-HP gaps. Take a look at that line and see if anything's appealing. Bastard case, I know, but Pittsburgh doesn't make odd-HP modules.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:54:39 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #565 on: March 04, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »

I understand the CDO (that’s OCD in alphabetical order) kicking in, but the whole point of modular is designing your system to the functionality that you prefer.  I tend to do the same thing when thinking about putting together a modular system — “which modules go together visually?”.  I suppose if it really concerned you, you could get whatever modules you wanted, remove the faceplates, paint them white / black / purple / whatever, re-assemble, and voila.

Conceptually though, I like going with all Pittsburgh Modular stuff... very old school.

Here’s my attempt at putting together a 107hp system for the Waldorf KB37... https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/614318

When I think of it, there is probably one more reason to the "OCD"... I have read about the Pittsburgh LIFEFORMS modules and watched all about them that I can, because my initial plan was to get the SV-1 ... and they are all reasonably easy to understand now... but the eurorack market is HUGE... there are so many modules, that I don't even dare think about reading about everything first, and watch videos of all to get a feeling for what they all do... it seems VERY confusing and overwhelming... that is another part of the "OCD" than just design and brand really...

I realized this looking at your 107HP setup actually... I have only read about ONE of those modules... the CLOUDS which I also have found interresting, though with a bit of too many hidden functions really for my 100% hands on approach...

So it's much easier getting to a final setup by just limiting yourself to the LIFEFORMS modules.... point is, that I need a sturdy setup... NOW!!!! ... and I do not have the time to read about all those modules, and when at the same time, the needs of specific modules is so blurred as it is for me right now, it might just end in a setup that I will have difficulty in connecting together and use fully... just see Chysn's comment earlier, that I ned that DISTRO module... I'm not fully into having an understanding of what modules need to go together... and that's the danger of modular for me right now... a modules full potential is determined by the modules you connect to it... thus, trying to take almost all modules from Pittsburgh, I put my faith in their hands, that they've put together a series that work well together... does this make sense? :)

Another reason is, by the way, that not all modules can be bought easily... some has to be build yourself, and others I'd need to get from oversees etc... so I've been looking at the available modules from the distributors closest to me here in europe... I use either Thomann, Gear4Music or Schneiders Laden... until now...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:10:45 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #566 on: March 04, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
I'll probably search for something else for that spot since I really do not need it when I'll be using TipTop Audio cables that are stackable for this purpose...

Thanks for the Modular Grid link.

Stackables are awesome for a small system, especially when your modulation destinations outnumber your sources.

If you can stand it, the 3HP Erica Pico line is the perfect way to fill out odd-HP gaps. Take a look at that line and see if anything's appealing. Bastard case, I know, but Pittsburgh doesn't make odd-HP modules.

Yes! ... in fact Erica Synths is one of the other manufacturers where I've done extensive reading and watching their videos... and I'm aware of their 3HP modules... one such thing might get in, if I can deviate from bastard case feeling :D

chysn

« Reply #567 on: March 04, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
When I think of it, there is probably one more reason to the "OCD"... I have read about the Pittsburgh LIFEFORMS modules and watched all about them that I can, because my initial plan was to get the SV-1 ... and they are all reasonably easy to understand now... but the eurorack market is HUGE... there are so many modules, that I don't even dare think about reading about everything first, and watch videos of all to get a feeling for what they all do... it seems VERY confusing and overwhelming... that is another part of the "OCD" than just design and brand really...

I think this is a great way to do it. Other than the Tangle Quartet, I've refrained from doing a bunch of "but you could have THIS!" because I realize that it's a huge amount to take in. In two years, you'll have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of modules, and you can hone your instrument to exactly what you want. For now, you've made a solid choice, and I think you'll enjoy it.

In other words, I haven't started a "How much time (in days) until Razmo sells his Eurorack stuff to focus exclusively on his puppetry?" poll.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #568 on: March 04, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »

I think this is a great way to do it. Other than the Tangle Quartet, I've refrained from doing a bunch of "but you could have THIS!" because I realize that it's a huge amount to take in. In two years, you'll have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of modules, and you can hone your instrument to exactly what you want. For now, you've made a solid choice, and I think you'll enjoy it.

In other words, I haven't started a "How much time (in days) until Razmo sells his Eurorack stuff to focus exclusively on his puppetry?" poll.

Hehe... i knew that comment would eventually arise :D ... fair enough, I have only myself to blame for it ;) ...

But I think you're right... I'll probably be a "Nutty Professor" in eurorack in a years time or two... provided I do not drop it totaly... which I hope I will not because then I've tried everything there is to try without finding something I'm satisfied with... do not want that to happen :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:46:22 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #569 on: March 07, 2018, 04:28:19 AM »
I think I've found a module that seems to be a no brainer... the Expert Sleepers - Disting mk4

That module seems to be able to do basically everything more or less... but it has two features that makes me want this module in my setup: mono & stereo sample playback, and a Wavetable oscillator that allow you to make your own Wavetables... I have had a sample player and wavetable VCO on the list sine I started this project, and to have those in the same module, only 4HP wide along with an enormous amount of other features is as I wrote: a no brainer really...

I do not know of other modules with more features in one... so if anyone know about one, don't hesitate to write it here :)

chysn

« Reply #570 on: March 07, 2018, 05:34:46 AM »
I think I've found a module that seems to be a no brainer... the Expert Sleepers - Disting mk4

That module seems to be able to do basically everything more or less... but it has two features that makes me want this module in my setup: mono & stereo sample playback, and a Wavetable oscillator that allow you to make your own Wavetables... I have had a sample player and wavetable VCO on the list sine I started this project, and to have those in the same module, only 4HP wide along with an enormous amount of other features is as I wrote: a no brainer really...

I do not know of other modules with more features in one... so if anyone know about one, don't hesitate to write it here :)

You're right, it definitely does more than any other module. The Disting series has always looked like a real drag to use to me, but a lot of people love it. Or, at least, a lot of people put up with it. Getting away from that kind of thing is one of the reasons I got into eurorack to begin with.

If I were to get a "do everything" module, it would be Ornament and Crime, which looks somewhat friendlier--if less comprehensive--and its code is open-source. But that's not even on my expansion short list.

By the way, have you seen Mutable Instruments Plaits? It just came out this week, and looks like a fantastic digital oscillator.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:38:53 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #571 on: March 07, 2018, 05:54:53 AM »
By the way, have you seen Mutable Instruments Plaits? It just came out this week, and looks like a fantastic digital oscillator.

Plaits looks indeed like a great all-in-one solution for a digital voice, so definitely something to consider for a cost-conscious setup. Here's a nice video by DivKid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYwdcYECdg

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #572 on: March 07, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »

You're right, it definitely does more than any other module. The Disting series has always looked like a real drag to use to me, but a lot of people love it. Or, at least, a lot of people put up with it. Getting away from that kind of thing is one of the reasons I got into eurorack to begin with.

If I were to get a "do everything" module, it would be Ornament and Crime, which looks somewhat friendlier--if less comprehensive--and its code is open-source. But that's not even on my expansion short list.

Disting is also open source, I looked at an almost 2 hour long video yesterday where he went in depth on explaing both the hardware and software side of it... it's even a PIC32 MCU they are using, so much of what he said rang a lot of bells with me since I've been programming their 8bit MCUs quite a bit...

I agree that it's a little bit convoluted, but honestly, when you see the layout it's not that bad... two input and two outputs at audiorates (75KHz sample rate) and a CV input (about 10Khz sample rate)... then a single control knob, and an encoder to choose the functions... so you do not have a lot of parameters to search thru menus for really... sure it would have been nice if it was a little wider, but then it would take up more space... it's a nice "extra" module to put in, if you have 4HP space left you do not know what to put into... it can do almost anything you suddenly feel you need... and it's not that expensive either...

I know that the Muteable Instruments modules are quite popular, and yes I've seen a few of them, but without going in depth with them... for some reason I feel that their sound is a bit too polished for me... almost too clean or soft-synth like in character... which has kept me from researching them further really. but i'll probably look into them more in depth when I reach the "digital oscillator" phase of my studio... right now I'm fully focused on getting the Pittsburgh modules gathered, so that my "analog synth" will be ready for use.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #573 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
Besides... after having read and watched a lot of info on modular (I've been visiting a site that has comprehensive info), it seems that people have different reasons for going into modular, and I do not think that I'm the "noodling" type of eurorack user... the thought of having a mixed rack with lots of weird modules and patching together to get all kinds of weird sounds out of it is NOT my goal...

My goal is more to get a hands on synth with a bit more flexibility than a small semi-modular desktop synth... in fact I believe I'm the type who want to make my own combined mid-sized synth voices... thus my goal is not to get another rack to find modules that will interact with the Pittsburgh I'm constructing right now... I'd rather just buy a 104 1row case, and start on a completely new synth after I finish the LIFEFORMS system... I'll probably want to do different synths this way.

The reason is that I'm still working best under limitations, and the confinements of a closed system like in a 104HP case is the way I like to do it... right now I have an all analog system coming up... my next one may be a hybrid of digital wavetable oscillators and analog VCF and VCO... the next may be with sample oscillators... another a stereo-signal flow kind of synth... I've got lots of ideers that is for sure. It also makes choosing the modules a lot easier since the modules should complement each other... I do not need all the possibilities available in a big chaotic system, i generally just want the usual VCO->VCF->VCA type configuration, maybe with a few twists... and most important; with all being hands on... i want to build those mid-sized "desktop" hybrid synths that noone is making...

I'd be able to take one such case into my studio, along with my basic LIFEFORMS system for a project, combining the two systems modules if I want to... but I like the ordered ideer of keeping them as "confined synths" in their cases... maybe it's a bit more expensive, since some module types will be used in more than one system, but that's ok... as long as I'm making music with the stuff...

if that makes sense... it does to me, and that is the most important :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2018, 05:19:38 AM »
First new module in my Pittsburgh synth should arrive later today... up to 2.6 seconds of analog delay... pretty nifty :)

« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
And there was me thinking as you had filtered down to a set of kit to do a particular task that this interesting and long lived threads days were numbered .

Then you went and got into modular.

To think I was worried!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
And there was me thinking as you had filtered down to a set of kit to do a particular task that this interesting and long lived threads days were numbered .

Then you went and got into modular.

To think I was worried!

I'm completely unpredictable... even to myself... it's a curse :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »

A link to the final KB37 setup... not much has changed, but the more I delve into the modular world, look at modules and think about what I need, I realize that maybe I do not need that much after all... Maybe I will be able to just settle with this system, as it basically covers mostly all that I need... if I feel a couple of exchange modules may become necessary, like oscillator modules, filter modules or FX modules, I'll just buy them, and exchange those modules in the setup directly...

The Pittsburgh modules are good sounding, and give the basic needs I've got for setting up a patchable standard OSC->VCF->VCA->FX synth... I think I got most covered... two LFOs, two ADSRs, two noise generators with S&H, a modulation section that can be both EG/Slew/LFO, some analog logic, two analog oscillators, one Low Pass Gate filter, a waveshaping section, a modulation routing matrix, a multimode state variable filter, a 4 channel mixer, 2 VCA's with offset and lastly an analog delay FX.

I should be capable of doing most analog tones with this alone and with good flexibility... as an extra (since there was 5HP left over), I decided on putting an "imposter" into my LIFEFORMS system... an Expert Sleepers - Disting mk4... this thing is a bit of a chameleon as it does more than 70 different things... it's digital, but it's really a handy tool if you find yourself missing a certain module in a specific situation.

Another reason for choosing this module is that it serves two very important functions:

1. Stereo sample playback. This is crucial for me to get my sounds recorded with my mobile recorder into the modular setup... I was looking at the TipTop Audio - ONE at some point, but it's only mono... the Disting mk4 can play back stereo samples from an SD card, and can even do more stuff with samples than the TipTop module.

2. Wavetable Oscillator. Yes, it can be used as a wavetable oscillator too, and you can even create your own wavetables and put them on the SD card... up to 100 such wavetables are supported... Very handy feature so that I may use some more advanced harmonicaly rich waveforms.

I believe it will be used mostly for the two last reasons, but I'm sure all the other (76) functions will come in handy... even if it's digital... but hey, it's because it's digital, that it does so many things :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:21:41 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »
Also... when recording into my DAW (one track at a time), much of the modulation will come from my hands... I want to perform some of the dynamics into the score live, as this is what makes modular stuff fun... but even if the modules could seem to maybe need more LFOs for serious modulations, this can be handled from my DAW... the KB37 has A LOT of CV outputs that can be automated from the DAW via envelopes for doing fades etc... Velocity, Aftertouch, Control X/Y/Z, Sensor, Pitchbend and Modulation wheel... all these has separate CV outputs and can be routed to any CV input in the modules for modulation...

so i do not think I'll miss anything really... time will tell...

chysn

« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2018, 06:54:48 PM »
It's nice, you'll be able to do a lot with that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Double Helix. It's got a lot of innovative features that you don't usually see on a complex oscillator, like the extra LFO, the low pass gate, and PWM. And the modulation routing is really flexible. If I didn't already have a complex oscillator, it would be a candidate for me.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his