• Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2017, 02:46:50 AM »
Only the future will tell :)

Sure. You seem like a good candidate for it, because

(1) You're buying a bunch of little synths
(2) You want strict knob-per-function control
(3) You want sound design to be integrated with composition

The philosophical deal you make with modular is that you gain absolute control over your components while giving up the prospect of replicating any particular sound. Whether this deal is worth it depends on the composer. With semi-modular, you give up the control and the replicability.

Yes... but the problem with modular is, that you need a lot of MIDI to CV/GATE modules if I was only to use modular gear... I plan on 16 MIDI controlled small synths, so that would make 16 of these modules alone, unless there is a modules that will allow for more MIDI channels, and have multiple CV/GATE outs... I need to control everything from my computer DAW. Otherwise, you're right... and I would probaly be able to have more power in a huge modular rack system, than by small desktop synths...

I still play with the idear actually... the biggest hindrance is that I'd need to buy the modular case first, and the MIDI to CV/GATE modules, before being able to add anything useful to the modular... it feels like using a lot of money without getting anything audible from it... but who know... some day I might get one :)

Another thing is that many of the small desktop synths do not come in modular format, so I'd still need to combine the two things...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:48:54 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2017, 04:11:18 AM »
Well... I cancelled the Streichfett in the last minute... I don't know what it is, but something makes me doubt about it... I don't know what it is, but maybe I'll re decide later on...

Instead I've ordered this analog rack-synth from Spain, which I've had my eyes on for some time... the reason is that it sounds pretty good, it's hands-on, but most importantly, it is one of the few analog hands-on synths out there, with a stereo output that can also be modulated.

I need this panning modulation for creating FX sounds and movement i the stereo field, because none of the mono synths give that option... and external FX that do this is scarce, and usually guitar pedals which I want to avoid using. I want this feature to be an inherent part of the synth itself.

Another welcome feature is the analog ring modulator... none of my current synths have this.

I could do this with a modular of course, but I'm not sure I will delve into the modular world right now... maybe later.

So I'm eagerly waiting for this thing to arrive :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:14:40 AM by Razmo »

chysn

« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2017, 05:00:46 AM »
Yes... but the problem with modular is, that you need a lot of MIDI to CV/GATE modules if I was only to use modular gear... I plan on 16 MIDI controlled small synths, so that would make 16 of these modules alone, unless there is a modules that will allow for more MIDI channels, and have multiple CV/GATE outs...

16 MIDI-controllable eurorack voices would be the wrong approach for most studios. First of all, it would be a tremendous expense. You should plan on about €2000-€3000 per eurorack voice*. Also, the space required would be huge. I don't know if you've got infinite money, but you've made it clear that you don't have infinite space.

Note that Mutable Instruments Yarns has four independent CV/gate channels. That's the biggest eurorack/MIDI interface that I know of. You can also use DC-coupled audio interfaces with Silent Way software, which might be more economical and flexible with a DAW.

However, it might be best to fill most of your studio with synths to get you to 16 voices, but with a single modular voice. For recording, a single modular voice will take enough of your attention, and will make a big enough sound.

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2017, 05:07:53 AM »
Yes... but the problem with modular is, that you need a lot of MIDI to CV/GATE modules if I was only to use modular gear... I plan on 16 MIDI controlled small synths, so that would make 16 of these modules alone, unless there is a modules that will allow for more MIDI channels, and have multiple CV/GATE outs...

16 MIDI-controllable eurorack voices would be the wrong approach for most studios. First of all, it would be a tremendous expense. You should plan on about €2000-€3000 per eurorack voice*. Also, the space required would be huge. I don't know if you've got infinite money, but you've made it clear that you don't have infinite space.

Note that Mutable Instruments Yarns has four independent CV/gate channels. That's the biggest eurorack/MIDI interface that I know of. You can also use DC-coupled audio interfaces with Silent Way software, which might be more economical and flexible with a DAW.

However, it might be best to fill most of your studio with synths to get you to 16 voices, but with a single modular voice. For recording, a single modular voice will take enough of your attention, and will make a big enough sound.

That is basically what I already had in mind... a single "3-story" Doepfer case, that is to work as a single modular voice... I'm almost certain this will happen, and most likely this voice will be created with a stereo connection to my mixer in mind, as stereo analog synths are not that many... only one I know of, that is on my list right now is the Vermona Perfourmer mkII

« Reply #444 on: October 02, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
Razmo,  There's many things I  like about the Vermona MKII and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go that route.    Just messing with mine yesterday after ignoring it for a few months.  It really is a joy to play with as it can it take you to creating new and impressive sounds so easily.   I'll often run the Doepfer Dark Time to it and just twiddle around to see what arises.   I'd say that's it's strength is having capability to make sounds that don't seem to arise when I'm sitting behind a traditional keyboard synth.   What kind of vehicle you drive sort of directs where you take it I guess.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #445 on: October 02, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
Razmo,  There's many things I  like about the Vermona MKII and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go that route.    Just messing with mine yesterday after ignoring it for a few months.  It really is a joy to play with as it can it take you to creating new and impressive sounds so easily.   I'll often run the Doepfer Dark Time to it and just twiddle around to see what arises.   I'd say that's it's strength is having capability to make sounds that don't seem to arise when I'm sitting behind a traditional keyboard synth.   What kind of vehicle you drive sort of directs where you take it I guess.

The reason for wanting the Perfourmer mkII are many actually...

1. The thing is stereo... not many hands on analog synths have stereo out.
2. The rather unique feature allowing to send/return after the oscillators but before the filter is kind of cool
3. The ability to pan voices to different positions, and slightly vary the voices give some unique stereo capabilities
4. It sounds quite good and strong analog.

And I agree... sitting in front af a synth, using it's interface, and especially NOT using preset sounds makes you work quite differently... I realize this now after composing this way for a while... tweaking each synth specifically for each project makes it much easier to find the sweetspots of each synth to make them blend together... a lot more intuitive than browsing thru hundreds of presets to find something that "nearly" fits...

Another nice thing is that this way of working lets me create sounds in a bit different way than I used to... earlier I split presets programing and composing into two separate processes... now the sound editing is part of the composing, and I often let the sequencer play a short sequence while I edit the sound... this not only gives me sounds that fit the other synths, it also let me tailor the sound specifically to the sequence they are to play... attacks, decay, release times, filter brightness etc... everything sort of get entangled in each-other...

And then I also completely remove the need to create presets in advance, hoarding them from the net, I get my own sound completely... so yes... you're right... sitting with the synths is quite different, especially when everything is done while composing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:11:02 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #446 on: October 31, 2017, 03:32:02 AM »
Allright... I'm back in DSI business again, as I just bought a used Evolver Desktop... I miss some digital elements in all this analog craze I'm having at the moment... I've decided to get on terms with the interface for programming it, but I'll probably mostly use the presets I put in it, and then modify those as I will be composing with it... it is not exactly a one-knob-per-function synth :)

..and yes... I remember it's quirks... and no, I'm not going to start complaining about them again, I know that what I get is what I see/hear ;)

I guess, that at some point I'll end up with a Mopho/Tetra as well, and most likely a Toraiz AS-1 ... just the small desktop machines, don't want no rack-synth or keys anymore... the desktops are easier to move about, and connect/disconnect from the mixer for a given project.

The reason for accepting some not so hands on synths again is, that the sound sources is limited in most analog hands-on desktop units... the filters are cool, but the oscillators don't allow many options... in particular I miss bell like timbres, and the possibility to create evolving textures for my Ambient projects... you can do some things with analog oscillators like ringmod and FM, but it is just still a bit limited...

So yes... I'm a DSI guy once again :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:34:23 AM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #447 on: October 31, 2017, 05:02:43 AM »
Allright... I'm back in DSI business again, as I just bought a used Evolver Desktop...

Hehe! Welcome back into the DSI crowd! ;)

Assuming you still got your Dreadbox machines: think you picked the perfect combo of solid sounding analog machines and more spiced wider sonic span machines such as Evolver.

What is your current synth collection? Any plans to get the Jomox MBase/MBrane boxes again?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2017, 05:38:57 AM »
Allright... I'm back in DSI business again, as I just bought a used Evolver Desktop...

Hehe! Welcome back into the DSI crowd! ;)

Assuming you still got your Dreadbox machines: think you picked the perfect combo of solid sounding analog machines and more spiced wider sonic span machines such as Evolver.

What is your current synth collection? Any plans to get the Jomox MBase/MBrane boxes again?

Funny you should mention it... yes... it was actually a choice about either the Evolver or the two JoMoX modules... they are definitely on the list, as they fit the bill perfectly now that I go for only analog/hybrid desktop synths... might be the next purchse in January (Christmas is expensive, but you know that :D ) ...

I still have all my Dreadboxes, they are not going anywhere... only the DIY Hades kit that I got as a gift two months ago from Dreadbox (because my Erebus and Nyx both had faults and needed to be exchanged) has been sold because I do not want to build it myself, and mess around with housing or eurorack... I'll do ANYTHING to stay away from Eurorack if possible.

Initially I thought about getting some digital sound source oscillators in Eurorack, and just plug them into the Audio In of my analog synths, to get other characters, but I really would like my synths to be stand alone devices not in need of anything external... so I decided to take the bull by the horns, and accept that some devices will have menus and not one knob per function... I simply have to get to know the interfaces... that simple... I do NOT want to start using SoundDiver again.. .NEVER EVER! ... I want to build my sounds from scratch using the device... simple as that... I might throw a bunch of the coolest presets into the Evolver, as starting points from time to time, and just editing them to fit... but that's it... thus I also need to use Chysn's Wav to Evolver convertion tool for 32 waveshapes that I need to figure out... they will not be changed again when first in there...

dslsynth

« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2017, 06:15:45 AM »
I still have all my Dreadboxes, they are not going anywhere... only the DIY Hades kit that I got as a gift two months ago from Dreadbox (because my Erebus and Nyx both had faults and needed to be exchanged) has been sold because I do not want to build it myself, and mess around with housing or eurorack... I'll do ANYTHING to stay away from Eurorack if possible.

Sounds great with the Dreadbox machines. Lucky you to get that Hades DIY kit. And yes, those MBase/MBrane machines are very tasty. I do get you want to stay away from eurorack and I would recommend doing so until someone makes a great preset/modulation manager enabling a single module to perform the same function a lot of utility modules.

I do NOT want to start using SoundDiver again.. .NEVER EVER! ... I want to build my sounds from scratch using the device... simple as that... I might throw a bunch of the coolest presets into the Evolver, as starting points from time to time, and just editing them to fit... but that's it... thus I also need to use Chysn's Wav to Evolver convertion tool for 32 waveshapes that I need to figure out... they will not be changed again when first in there...

No more SoundDiver? Surprise! Are you are just tired of interacting with keyboard and mouse? Would a touch interface work better for you?

May I suggest not going for perfection when it comes waveshapes and presets? Its far better to add sounds and  waveshapes as they are designed. Keep your setup evolving instead of static and enjoy creating.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #450 on: October 31, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »

Sounds great with the Dreadbox machines. Lucky you to get that Hades DIY kit. And yes, those MBase/MBrane machines are very tasty. I do get you want to stay away from eurorack and I would recommend doing so until someone makes a great preset/modulation manager enabling a single module to perform the same function a lot of utility modules.

I do NOT want to start using SoundDiver again.. .NEVER EVER! ... I want to build my sounds from scratch using the device... simple as that... I might throw a bunch of the coolest presets into the Evolver, as starting points from time to time, and just editing them to fit... but that's it... thus I also need to use Chysn's Wav to Evolver convertion tool for 32 waveshapes that I need to figure out... they will not be changed again when first in there...

No more SoundDiver? Surprise! Are you are just tired of interacting with keyboard and mouse? Would a touch interface work better for you?

May I suggest not going for perfection when it comes waveshapes and presets? Its far better to add sounds and  waveshapes as they are designed. Keep your setup evolving instead of static and enjoy creating.

Yes... I'm tired of SoundDiver... not because of the mouse editing, but because SoundDiver is old, and quirky, and I miss a lot of functionality in it... a simple unsuported checksum value is enough to wreck any attempt at creating editors... I've lived with those irritating things long enough, and I thought, that if I just get used to the user interfaces of the synths, that problem will be forever solved, and I will have that less connections to the DAW... I'm free from having anything else on my DAW but the sequencer... and that is how I want it to be.

But this also demands that the desktop synths are not mega synth monsters like P12, REV2 etc... because it will take too long to come up with something from scratch, and I do not want this to destroy the creative process... thus I want the smaller versions with fewer parameters, but a bit more complex than 100% analog synths... Evolver Desktop, Mopho, AS-1 is good examples of what I'm after in the long run... the Jomox units as well.

I may even get a few 100% digital ones because of polyphony, but they have to be small desktop units, and not too complex... one I have on the list is the Micromonsta and most likely it's new companion, the DoubleDrummer. At some point I'll have to find a sample player as well, and right now only one fits the bill... Elektron DigiTakt.

Initially I hoped for only hands-on analog synths... I just have to accept, that I loose some crittical sound possibilities if I drop digital completely... especially when I want to make Ambient music.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:25:17 AM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #451 on: November 03, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »
But this also demands that the desktop synths are not mega synth monsters like P12, REV2 etc... because it will take too long to come up with something from scratch, and I do not want this to destroy the creative process... thus I want the smaller versions with fewer parameters, but a bit more complex than 100% analog synths... Evolver Desktop, Mopho, AS-1 is good examples of what I'm after in the long run... the Jomox units as well.

Interesting! Especially because the P12 voice is not that much larger than Evolver after all. So do you mean that it takes longer time to dial in a usable sound on the P12 compared to the Evolver because extra tweaks are needed to make the sound work for the project?
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #452 on: November 03, 2017, 01:03:33 PM »

Interesting! Especially because the P12 voice is not that much larger than Evolver after all. So do you mean that it takes longer time to dial in a usable sound on the P12 compared to the Evolver because extra tweaks are needed to make the sound work for the project?

No... the P12 is just a lot more parameters then the Evolver, especially because it also has two layers... in fact the P12 interface is easier than the Evolver Desktop, mainly because the display allow for better names (Evolver Desktop has three letter names for everything making it REALLY hard to edit it from the interface because you have to keep on looking the abbreviations up... hope this will be easier with time). Also the Desktop has all of the matrix written on very little space, making it cramped, and hard to spot the paramters quickly... at least for me... and then this irritating shift button that only complicates it even further.... but still... without a screen, and the size, I do not believe the Desktop could have been made much better.

I've decided, that for editing, this will drive me crazy... simply put.... for editing an adjustment to a preset it's ok, but to design a sound from scratch when I've been used to a full screen editor, this is a nightmare to be honest, so I've decided to keep SoundDiver at hand anyway... only to create presets "offline".... I'll stick to the presets inside the Evolver Desktop, and just do small edits here and there to those presets.... in fact that is what I have decided to do, for any non-hand-on synth I get in the future... I'll just have to get only those that will allow for SoundDiver editors... so I'm just partly stuck with SoundDiver anyway... I'll survive.

Still, my main synths will be small analog hands on ones... I just need a few hybrids/digital to give me two crucial things: 1. Polyphony and 2. More digital oscillator options.

I'm actually considering getting a REV2 8voice module at some point... not sure yet though since I'm afraid it'll take too much time to do something from scratch... but then again... you're not forced to use all the features, if you want to keep it simple... the main reason for a REV2 is the polyphony, but I may find another solution for that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:12:54 PM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »
No... the P12 is just a lot more parameters then the Evolver, especially because it also has two layers...

Interesting as I see P12 and Evolver as not all that different. But you are right with the layers as that obviously doubles the number of parameters. P12 have more modslots, more delay/LFO parameters. But the overall concept is very similar.

Of cause you have had P12 and I haven't. But this is how I look at it after having studied the voice architecture. The question is if its more complex to program not only based on the number of parameters to be configured but also if more tweaks/workarounds are needed to obtain the desired sound.

I've decided, that for editing, this will drive me crazy... simply put.... for editing an adjustment to a preset it's ok, but to design a sound from scratch when I've been used to a full screen editor, this is a nightmare to be honest, so I've decided to keep SoundDiver at hand anyway... only to create presets "offline"...

Sounds like a plan. Being flexible in tool use is a very good idea. Even better to try out techniques and adapt as insight in gained.

I'm actually considering getting a REV2 8voice module at some point... not sure yet though since I'm afraid it'll take too much time to do something from scratch... but then again... you're not forced to use all the features, if you want to keep it simple... the main reason for a REV2 is the polyphony, but I may find another solution for that.

I would suggest my standard advice at this time of year: Gearmas happens in late January so I would wait and see if anything more interesting shows up. Also, maybe give some thought to what kind of voice you really need. Take your time!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:03:40 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
No... the P12 is just a lot more parameters then the Evolver, especially because it also has two layers...

Interesting as I see P12 and Evolver as not all that different. But you are right with the layers as that obviously doubles the number of parameters. P12 have more modslots, more delay/LFO parameters. But the overall concept is very similar.

Of cause you have had P12 and I haven't. But this is how I look at it after having studied the voice architecture. The question is if its more complex to program not only based on the number of parameters to be configured but also if more tweaks/workarounds are needed to obtain the desired sound.

I've decided, that for editing, this will drive me crazy... simply put.... for editing an adjustment to a preset it's ok, but to design a sound from scratch when I've been used to a full screen editor, this is a nightmare to be honest, so I've decided to keep SoundDiver at hand anyway... only to create presets "offline"...

Sounds like a plan. Being flexible in tool use is a very good idea. Even better to try out techniques and adapt as insight in gained.

I would suggest my standard advice at this time of year: Gearmas happens in late January so I would wait and see if anything more interesting shows up. Also, maybe give some thought to what kind of voice you really need. Take your time!

Actually I've been giving my setup a lot of thought lately... I've been taking quite a few "jumps" (rather extreme ones) to try out what works best for me, and I think I'm about to be at an actual conclusion. All this hands-on stuff really is beginning to piss me off, mainly because the sound pallette is so limited with analog synthesis alone... also I feel like I lack polyphony.

In fact, the way I work now (HD recording) is the best for the type of music I want to be doing (Ambient), so I really do not need a lot of synths... too many cause me to loose concentration and focus, and it also take up a hell of a lot of space.

The more I think of it, what I really need is a very small setup, with a few really powerful synthesizers that can do a little of each and complement each other.... as I will do HD recording in a layer fashion, I can reuse the synths more than once.

The criteria I have boiled down to these:

1. A few synths (I decided on four because of practical reasons)
2. Must be very flexible, and complement each other well
3. Must have lots of polyphony for pad sounds when needed
4. Build in modulation FX, since the only external FX I'll be using are Reverb and Delay.
5. Must be stereo capable.
6. Must be desktop modules (not rack!), one may be a keyboard (working as my master controller)
7. Analog must be part of the synthesis, so no 100% digital ones (digital bores me, for some reason unknown)
8. Must be possible to make an editor for SoundDiver for them, without a shadow of a doubt!

I've actually located most of the synths already, and the mixer too... the Mixer is on it's way, and it's a Mackie ONYX 820i ... a small mixer, but will do exactly what I want it to.

The Synths are:

1. DSI - Prophet REV2 (most likely the keyboard version)
2. DSI - P12 module (yes... I want that again for this)
3. DSI - Evolver Desktop (the only monophonic, but it will be plugged into the inserts of the mixers two mono channels, so that any microphones connected to the XLR inputs can be routed thru the Evolver for some analog/digital FX processing)
4. Not known yet... but it will have to meet all of the above criteria, and REALLY bring me something special... a DSI sampler might be a good candidate here ;)

On FX I already have the Lexicon PCM92, which will serve as my main Reverb/Multi FX processor... I have space for one more, and it will probably be an Eventide Eclipse at some point later (it's insanely expensive).

That's it... no more... no less... it will allow me to do any kind of Ambient music, and also allow for some organic manipulated microphone recorded tracks using different acoustic stuff for live recording.

So yes... all the newly aquired monosynths will have to go... that was yet another big mistake... but now it has been tried... yes, I know I'm crazy.... I even have papers on it ;)

dslsynth

« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
Ah, more GAO? Neat! Hope that you find a good solution. I am very happy you are working towards a setup that works for your musical goals. Just wish you would do it in a way that isn't so expensive because of the new vs used price difference being paid during studio reconfigurations.

It seems like you want to change your studio setup quite often. So may I suggest that you change one thing at a time and see it as a continued process rather than striving for a perfect setup? I am sure it would work better for you. Also, please consider waiting until NAMM before deciding on Rev2 as a more interesting machine may show up by then.

I have decided to keep a constant setup partly because of obvious financial limitations and partly because I can do a lot with my current setup. A few things are on the wish list though such as a certain digital mixer. But that will have to wait!
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »
Yes... and exactly the cost is why I want this to end... I'm sick and tired of always waiting for stuff, and hoarding new gear, ending in selling it again, and then rebuy it again... I'd like to start buying other things in life but gear (and start making music, because without making music, hoarding seems pointless)... it's become an obsession (OCD like), so it has to end now...

I can relatively quickly get the two synths (REV2 and P12) when I have sold the analog gear. The solution to my problem is to get at a finished setup, so I do not feel I miss anything in the "equation" anymore... I know the Prophet 8 and I know the P12... I can easily make editors for them, and I have the editor for the Evolver. All that will have to wait a bit are two microphones, an external FX processor more and then that final synth that I do not know what will end up being...

I'm pretty certain of this setup, because it satisfied all of my criteria to perfection... Studio will fill minimal in size, minimal cable clutter... I'll be able to reach and touch all synths from the same place AND have both monitor, keyboard and mouse there as well...

It's hard to explain, but the thought of this setup just makes me calm on the inside... feeding my urge to actually make some music (at last).

Erebus and Hades is on their way to a better home on Tuesday... all I need is to sell my Abyss, and I'll be close to getting a REV2... and I'll go for the keys version since that will save the space for the other synths on the shelf above my table where the REV2 will be standing.

dslsynth

« Reply #457 on: November 04, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Oh wow that is quite a change and its happening fast. Going for calmness is a very good goal. Good you are focused on the cost challenge.

As said previously: I really think you should wait with Rev2 until after NAMM as who knows what DSI will offer this time around? What if it was a VS or a sampler based keyboard? Both could easily change your gear priorities overnight. Its not the right time of year to buy new stuff unless one is very very sure on the choice!

So how about keeping your Abyss which is a massive polysynth and see what happens in late January? Being just a little bit strategic can be a very good thing!
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #458 on: November 04, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Oh wow that is quite a change and its happening fast. Going for calmness is a very good goal. Good you are focused on the cost challenge.

As said previously: I really think you should wait with Rev2 until after NAMM as who knows what DSI will offer this time around? What if it was a VS or a sampler based keyboard? Both could easily change your gear priorities overnight. Its not the right time of year to buy new stuff unless one is very very sure on the choice!

So how about keeping your Abyss which is a massive polysynth and see what happens in late January? Being just a little bit strategic can be a very good thing!

I see your point, but the "problem" is that, even if it was a VS/Sampler like thing they came up with, it would not make the REV2 obsolete for me... the reason to get the REV2 is two fold for me: 1. The possibility to get 16 voices, and 2. it's analog oscillators... I really want analog oscillators in at least one of my synths, and with 16 voices I cannot wish for more... it has it all except for some digital oscillators, and that is exactly where the P12 comes in... 12 voices with both FM and Wavetable synthesis and audiorate modulation... no other synth comes close (maybe the PEAK, but I've read that it's MIDI specs are shit, so I'm not touching that one)... I do not think DSI will deliver any other analog oscillator synth with 16 voices of polyphony at NAMM to be honest.... and also... to sit and wait for "what is coming" would only defy the whole point... waiting for yet more "if/maybe" gear... see the point? ... The p12 and REV2 has what it takes right now... and IF that DSI sampling synth should be unveiled at NAMM... well... then I still have that ONE stereo slot left in my mixer... sampling technology is basically the only real thing I will be lacking.... on the other hand, my previous experiences with samplers is that I never get anything done on them, mainly because I have to prepare a lot of samples... with synths that you cannot "put anything into" it's all selfcontained, and I do not have to worry about samples, wavetables etc... that is an advantage for me really... still... sampling IS something that gives me some options the REV2 and P12 cannot... so we'll see... it will depend VERY MUCH on how storing and handling samples will be implemented for me to jump on such a sampling synth from DSI :) ... to some extend I allready will have "sampling" when I record stuff live thru the Evolver via microphones... it would also be much more intuitive than making samples fit the score... i can simply make the stuff I record thru the microphone fit the score :) ... I do not know if I'll even need more than the REV2 and P12 plus microphone/Evolver combo... time will tell... but one thing is certain... with only REV2 and P12 I can EASILY make a lot of Ambient... I really do not need any more than that to be honest (except the PCM92 for the reverb that is).

chysn

« Reply #459 on: November 04, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »
Take this suggestion as one in good faith; but, perhaps it might be better to buy one synth at a time and spend a lot of time with it, instead of buying a whole studio in the space of a couple weeks. You'll either love it, or not, and you'll know if you want to change direction before you finish the whole puzzle. For example, get a Prophet 12 and play it into the ground for like six months or a year before deciding what comes next.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his