Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

dslsynth

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #380 on: August 01, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »
In my case it is because there are too many parameters to tweak when I want to create sounds from scratch while composing... I really want to create unique sounds for every project instead of having to browse hundreds of sounds before I find something useful that anyway needs a little tweaking to fit the song... on top of that, because the P12 does not (logically) have all parameters on the front... I do not want to edit using menus...

Oh I do get that. But as someone who believes there are more ways to create synthesizer sounds than simple knob turning there are other options out there. As far as sysex format documentation goes I do consider that problem mostly solved. Still have to ask for all the information required though.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2017, 02:23:45 AM »
How come both of you want to sell your DSI instruments? Is that because of sound, features or something else?

Well I am getting rid of a fair amount of stuff, it is too cluttered here and I just don't use it all.

Since getting the boards of my P2 and P12 repaired by DSI I still haven't got round to putting the repaired PCBs back in! So I guess it is time for them to go once I get the PCBs installed.

The Tempest doesn't get used that much so thats on the list as well.

The PEK is staying though.

I'm also getting rid of all my old rack based synths (roland and e-mu stuff), the Kronos 88, Voyager, Virus TI, Karp odyssey, Korg MS20, All four Elektron boxes and loads of guitar based gear, Kemper, Roland GR33, VG88, VG99, GP10, and SY300.

And I'm going to get a Kurzweil, need to look into that maybe a Forte and also a Modal 002.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:35:26 AM by BobTheDog »

« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:07 AM »
I have said before that I can't keep up :)

Interesting that you are thinking of getting rid of the P12 and v-Synth.

I'm thinking of a total purge of stuff here, the P12, P2  and Tempest are on the list of sale items but the VSynth XT I was thinking of making centre stage in the desk rack underneath my monitor and behind the linnstrument.

My list of sale items has become quite huge, a major clear out...

Sometimes you just need a change I guess... in my case it may be partly that... computer interaction just does not tempt me anymore... loads of parameters to adjust for hours before being satisfied with a preset... all the problems with SysEx specifications and editors... all the messing around with dumping samples back and forth... I need more instant gratification, with on the fly editing (fast)... I still want to do Ambient music, but also general electronic music with melodies and basslines... Berlin School styles... Space Music etc... it will just have to be done with analog and hands-on equipment. I may get limited, but limitations seems to inspire me... I think it is a left over from my early days of making music with the Commodore 64 SID chip and AMIGA computer... a more minimalistic approach... so that has been decided ... the P12 and V-Synth has to go...

I get your point, looking to simplify things here as well. Maybe it's an age thing ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2017, 02:40:27 AM »
It's strange... but the less gear, and the less complicated it is, the more I get the urge to use it... tweak it... get the most out of it... if I got it all it starts to become hard to focus on it all, get the big overview and being too technically complicated. I guess the saying "keep it simple stupid!" is my wakeup call :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
Well I am getting rid of a fair amount of stuff, it is too cluttered here and I just don't use it all.

Wow that quite a late summer studio cleanup! Wish I could afford your P12M. Very happy to see you keep your PEK and that you opt for a Modal 002. Interesting machines! Oh and the delayed PCB install is quite a good indicator of time for a change. But of cause that could also be a sign of being very very busy.
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
I guess the saying "keep it simple stupid!" is my wakeup call :)

Its of cause a very personal thing what works for ones creative processes. Personally I would be happy with just a few more smaller machines with a solid analog/hybrid sound and voice architectures of suitable expressiveness.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
I guess the saying "keep it simple stupid!" is my wakeup call :)

Its of cause a very personal thing what works for ones creative processes. Personally I would be happy with just a few more smaller machines with a solid analog/hybrid sound and voice architectures of suitable expressiveness.

That's more or less what I'm going at now... smaller machines... I intend on plugging in different desktop synths to my Mackie 1220 ONYX mixer, on a per project base... so I will not have a set number of synths in the future... that is why they need to be desktop synths, so that I can remove them quickly from the mixer, and have them in front of me when using them... the fact that they are not editor dependent on my DAW is also a plus... it will be a simple "plug in the power, audio and MIDI cable, and go" method.

Not having a "cut in stone" setup as I intended earlier makes it less hard to decide what synths to get... I'll just get what I feel GAS for, and use them when I want to, and store them away when I do not want to use them, but without the problem of having enough MIDI ports, enough Mixer channels for all, and editors... and presets... and... you get the point.

Thus rack mount synths will not be considered here... as they have to be mounted to be used well... so it's a bit of a turnaround for me, as I have always been arguing that synths should also come in rack mountable versions :D

There are plenty of small analog desktop synths out there, from the mundane to the obscure... all interesting... currently (in addition til all the Dreadbox synths) I have my eye on the Make Noise 0-Coast synth as well... and a few others I cannot remember...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:11:33 PM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
There are plenty of small analog desktop synths out there, from the mundane to the obscure... all interesting... currently (in addition til all the Dreadbox synths) I have my eye on the Make Noise 0-Coast synth as well... and a few others I cannot remember...

Well my current small desktop synth drool list contains machines such as MFB Dominion Club, MBrane11, MBase 11 and ex-MI Shruthi-1 4PM. I really like that DSI did the AS-1 but its just that I want more complex machines than that. The new SE-02 from Roland and Studio Electronics looks interesting if USB/MIDI is class compliant.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »

Well my current small desktop synth drool list contains machines such as MFB Dominion Club, MBrane11, MBase 11 and ex-MI Shruthi-1 4PM. I really like that DSI did the AS-1 but its just that I want more complex machines than that. The new SE-02 from Roland and Studio Electronics looks interesting if USB/MIDI is class compliant.

I have my eyes on the MFB as well, plus some of their discontinued desktop synths and drummachines... the Jomox drummodules are not hands on... if they were, I'd get those again... but I want ALL parameters on the front... the SE-02 looks interresting, but has too many shift button features... it seems to me that every time a synth had digital control, the interface is reduced, and even worse is when knobs have more than one function... it makes it impossible to make gradual live adjustments to parameters, unless it's encoders, and I hate encoders to say the least...

Also analog polysynths are almost always digitally controlled... but that is actually logical because in an analog hardwired knob, it will be in one voices circuit, not multiple voices... the Vermona Perfourmer has knobs for each voice curcuit because of this... so I think it's harder to do analog polysynths without digitally controlling them... how the Dreadbox Abyss managed to be polyphonic and with analog hardwired knobs I do not know... I believe I read or heard them say that in fact a great deal of the Abyss is digitally controlled, so maybe it actually is... but still it has all controls on the surface...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:49 AM »
Next family member is on the way now... :)

« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:31 PM »
Nice one :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2017, 05:56:46 AM »
As I have no use for my SONY PCM-D100 anymore, because I will not be using samples, I just sold it... and will be getting this one instead... It has some analog features that the Dreadboxes does not, plus it has a small minikeyboard and pitch/mod wheels which will be nice to have on my main desktop for quick short experiments.

« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »

Good call on the Nyx - the repeating modulators (env <-> lfo, x3) are really pretty cool, and the reverb effects sound absolutely amazing. Planning on pairing this up with an 0-Coast myself.

EDITED - oooh, apparently you can poly-chain up to two Nyx units (or Nyx + Erebus). That could be interesting.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:13:59 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »

Good call on the Nyx - the repeating modulators (env <-> lfo, x3) are really pretty cool, and the reverb effects sound absolutely amazing. Planning on pairing this up with an 0-Coast myself.
0-Coast is also on my list... it is unique enough to warrant a channel in my mixer :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »
New USB3.0 MIDI interface on the way... Alysium U3-88c ... made by the people who created Vangelis' whole MIDI setup... should have the fastest thruput of MIDI, being so fast that latency and jitter should be a thing of the past... looking forward to testing this.

chysn

« Reply #395 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »
As someone who has a MicroBrute and a Keith McMillan QuNexus, I'd advise you to try out the QuNexus if you're primarily looking for a small input device. Believe it or not, the QuNexus's keyboard is way more playable than the MicroBrute's. If you need another sound source (or another EG, or another LFO), that's a different story, of course. If I had to choose one, it would definitely be the QuNexus. The feel, the build quality, and the flexibility, are top-notch.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:07:01 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:11 AM »
As someone who has a MicroBrute and a Keith McMillan QuNexus, I'd advise you to try out the QuNexus if you're primarily looking for a small input device. Believe it or not, the QuNexus's keyboard is way more playable than the MicroBrute's. If you need another sound source (or another EG, or another LFO), that's a different story, of course. If I had to choose one, it would definitely be the QuNexus. The feel, the build quality, and the flexibility, are top-notch.

I actually decided to wait with the Microbrute a bit, since I fell over that MIDI interface instead and wanted to try that out first... so I have some time to think about it.

Honestly, I'd rather have the Microbrute without the keys, since it would take up less space, and there is only two octaves... I would not really be using it much to type in notes because I have my A-70 right in front of me, under the desktop on a shelf, and that one plays waaaaaay better than anything I've ever tried... so I do not NEED a short and small keyboard on my desktop... it was the synth I was interested in, in the first place... but with that said, the build in sequencer of the Microbrute would be handy, primarily because it will send this sequence out of it's CV/GATE outputs (I hope), and I'd like to use that on some of the dreadboxes once in a while to modulate their patchpoints...But I could also just get a few KORG SQ-1's for this... which I probably will... their size is just right.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:13:43 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #398 on: August 09, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
You can always chop it up: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134893&highlight=

Cool... but honestly, it's so small already that I would hate to chop the keys off, no matter how bad they are... they are only useful to me for simple step recording a small sequence, and I do not need a perfect keyboard for that, not even velocity as all of the Dreadbox machines do not support velocity at all (which actually is the worst thing about them I'd say, but you could allways get a velocity CV output from something else)... still it's cool in a way, that he chopped it off :D

chysn

« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2017, 04:49:40 AM »
Huge patch libraries and complete MIDI control used to be priorities for you. Now that you're giving up patch storage and complete MIDI control, have you considered just getting a single modular system?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his